• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SacremPyrobolum

Lt. General
90 Badges
Jul 31, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
Prague is the most populous city in Europe at the start of the game and, as far as I have seen, stays in the position for its entirety.

Is this really true to life? I've googled it and can't find anything that says definitely that Prague was so populous.

Also, shouldn't it have more Jews?

According to Wikipedia, in 1790, Prague had a population of 79,000, and in 1880 of 350,000.

In vanilla Prague starts at 393,000, according to the files (dunno if the game also reflects that, since the 393000 is just what was calculated by the devs), which represents a total population of 1,572,000. Way bigger. Not sure why it's so large, maybe balance for factories and stuff?

Edit: Further reading in the article indicates a population in 1837 of greater than 100,000.

Prague was the third largest city in the Austrian Empire. Less than 1/3 million at the start of the game.
But the province of Prague is not only the city but also a big portion of Bohemia.
I always assumed that the gamss numbers are correct since the populations seem to he rather accurate at least for Europe. But maybe there's some wrong numbers there -.-

But the province of Prague is not only the city but also a big portion of Bohemia.

I guess it's time to dig up population charts of the whole of Bohemia/

Prague was the third largest city in the Austrian Empire. Less than 1/3 million at the start of the game.
I always assumed that the gamss numbers are correct since the populations seem to he rather accurate at least for Europe. But maybe there's some wrong numbers there -.-
Yeah, I don't get why they made such a densely populated area so big instead of breaking it up.

According to Wikipedia, in 1790, Prague had a population of 79,000, and in 1880 of 350,000.

In vanilla Prague starts at 393,000, according to the files (dunno if the game also reflects that, since the 393000 is just what was calculated by the devs), which represents a total population of 1,572,000. Way bigger. Not sure why it's so large, maybe balance for factories and stuff?

Edit: Further reading in the article indicates a population in 1837 of greater than 100,000.

The population of "Prague" isn't just Prague, but the surrounding countryside and other cities in the province. Very few provinces if any represent just the city they are named after, many aren't named after cities at all if I am not mistaken. Just take into account urban pops and factor in other cities, and I am sure the population is accurate. Of course what I mean by urban pops is pops that can be considered to live in a city as opposed to the country, and it isn't a category that actually exists in the game, just the way I categorize things.

Austria back in the days had one of the best population census in the world. There are a lot of files somewhere. Hopefully soon digitalised. Hopefully I find something in the next days and post it here.

Austria back in the days had one of the best population census in the world. There are a lot of files somewhere. Hopefully soon digitalised. Hopefully I find something in the next days and post it here.

It is pretty much fully digitalized by now. The ÖNB has all or almost all of the official statistical books online, for example.