• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

I Have Low Eyes

Second Lieutenant
70 Badges
Apr 2, 2015
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
While in Victoria 2 the US gets A kkk event I feel that Victoria 3 should expand on racial and religious issues of the time. There were tons of riots, protests, murders, etc. That were about these issues.

Im not asking for a "remove undesirables" mission, i know why it can't be added.
But there should be events around the rise of Mormons, rights of minorities, reconstruction, the rise of fascism.

I think race and religious conflict were HUGE in this time period. So we need more of a focus than just trail of tears decision and civil war.

There should be options on whether to allow a non (german, white, Japanese, etc) person to be a part of your county.

Fascist govt DEFINITELY should have race riots and looting. But even in democratic united states people who were "undesirable" would be killed if they attempted voting or participating in regular life.

All in all i think most counries can benefit from a fleshed out system involving minorities. Even homogenous places like poland had a Jewish minority worth simulating.

What do you think?

Reactions:
I understand why that might be appealing from an immersion point of view, but how about from the player's perspective? How would a "racism" event or malus give the player a real choice they can ethically take? And if there isn't any choice in the matter (be it in the form of a no-choice event or in an decision where one choice is "do a racist thing and bad things happen" and the other is "do a non-racist thing and good things happen") how would it be fun?

Last edited:
Reactions:
It is suggestive with discriminatory tendencies towards non accepted cultures, etc. Nothing full on.

And countries that gain alot of fascists, tend also to have alot of revolts.

It's just more subtle I suppose.

Would it improve gameplay and mechanics?

The game already has numerous events for suppressing or allowing minorities or minority-controlled organizations to further the causes of independence, etc. There are several events in colonies dealing with disturbing the native shrines and beliefs. You can get events about occupying troops having clashes with the locals, or about foreign troops not living up to standards in your army. Different policies affect assimilation of foreigners. These things are already covered in the game in a slightly abstract way, without making them a major focus of the game. The forum rules limit what can and cannot be discussed, and sales of the games in several countries may be dependent upon how these issues are handled. While the time period would be unrealistic without some effects and events along those lines, the ability to portray them in-game without invoking a countering response is limited.

In short, I think it's handled about as well as it can be under the circumstances.

Reactions:
I just don't think that the around 5 or 10 events i can think of involving minorities are enough.

Maybe I'm too Americacentric. But Europeans were pretty damn racist too. And asians.

Sure you can either allow Africans to join your army or just be colonial officers. But id like a lot more events like this that feel meaningful even if it's not a choicebetween "remove undesirables" and "create racist propaganda"

Even a modern day game would be incomplete without racism and religious strife. But the victorian era brought us social darwinism. Europeans literally thought it was their god given mission to conquer the "inferior" people in other continents. So racism and religion were HUGE in the period.

I guess it depends on how far they'll take simulation. The United states was filled with lynching but that doesn't seem like a very FUN event.

I agree to an extent, and I really hope Vic 3 doesn't shy away from showing some of the atrocities that were commited during the period, but I can see why the devs gloss over it. The more you add racist events, the more they can be taken out of context.

Reactions:
Europeans literally thought it was their god given mission to conquer the "inferior" people in other continents. So racism and religion were HUGE in the period.
You're forgetting Manifest Destiny. The ability to magically go to war and conquer anyone in the game (especially uncivs) means there's not a lot to be added to here.

Just like in HoI, adding in all the fucked up and disgusting shit covered in the period doesn't actually add anything to the game, but actually causes problems.

We've got Trail of Tears and Lapse, and they're the main ones. "Strap the darkies to a cannon and fire it for a laugh" is pushing it though.

Reactions:
You're forgetting Manifest Destiny. The ability to magically go to war and conquer anyone in the game (especially uncivs) means there's not a lot to be added to here.

Just like in HoI, adding in all the fucked up and disgusting shit covered in the period doesn't actually add anything to the game, but actually causes problems.

We've got Trail of Tears and Lapse, and they're the main ones. "Strap the darkies to a cannon and fire it for a laugh" is pushing it though.
There were a shit ton of genocides in this time period and to allow me to conquer or colonize all of Africa, and to not have events about racial tension is unrealistic to the time period. There should be more events too like "our cruel colonial policies have reduced our prestige".

Black people could not vote in large parts of the us until 1964 its ridiculous that there's no Jim crow to contend with.

America sure wasn't the only offender of racism. The fierce nationalism of the time period created vicious hate and violence. To ignore this is an injustice to those killed.

Maybe an option on game start with if racial events can happen would make everyone happy?

There were a shit ton of genocides in this time period and to allow me to conquer or colonize all of Africa, and to not have events about racial tension is unrealistic to the time period. There should be more events too like "our cruel colonial policies have reduced our prestige".

Black people could not vote in large parts of the us until 1964 its ridiculous that there's no Jim crow to contend with.

America sure wasn't the only offender of racism. The fierce nationalism of the time period created vicious hate and violence. To ignore this is an injustice to those killed.

Maybe an option on game start with if racial events can happen would make everyone happy?
The funny moment when USA gets Afro-Americans as accepted pops . :D

Reactions:
There should be options on whether to allow a non (german, white, Japanese, etc) person to be a part of your county.

Already exists as the Residency issue. There are several events about this, including minority building restrictions and language in school.

Fascist govt DEFINITELY should have race riots and looting. But even in democratic united states people who were "undesirable" would be killed if they attempted voting or participating in regular life.

Already exists as Residency. Having a party in power with Residency as platform raises MIL of pops that oppose that issue. There are also several existing events in the game that represent violence against minorities, where you can choose the option to kill off a % of the minority pops.

All in all i think most counries can benefit from a fleshed out system involving minorities. Even homogenous places like poland had a Jewish minority worth simulating.

What do you think?

All of that is in the game already, just not using the simple labels you'd prefer. In fact, everything you want added already exists in some way or another.

Reactions: