• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apr 13, 2012
I recently bought and installed the Steam version of the game. I am however unable to even run it as all I get is a black screen with this weird thatch weave pattern of barley visible boxes. I can hear the menu music playing in the background though so the sound is ok. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Any help would be appreciated, Thank-you.

I also get no error messages of any kind that might give some indication of what the problem could be.

Upvote 0
Can you try opening your *DOCUMENTS*\MyGames\Naval War Arctic Circle\NWACPrefs file in a text editor (Notepad) and check the screen resolution set there? Also try changing the resolution to one that is supported by your monitor and try running the game again.

If this fixes your problem, could you please let me know what resolution was set in that file and also what resolution you have your destop set to?

Can you try opening your *DOCUMENTS*\MyGames\Naval War Arctic Circle\NWACPrefs file in a text editor (Notepad) and check the screen resolution set there? Also try changing the resolution to one that is supported by your monitor and try running the game again.

If this fixes your problem, could you please let me know what resolution was set in that file and also what resolution you have your destop set to?
How do I do this as I am not an expert in changing settings like that?

I have a similar problem related to Comodo Firewall. Runs while turned off, but hard crashes when it is turned on. Black screen, Ctrl-Alt-del wont even recover. Hard reboot only.

Edit- Additional info. Works ok with Comodo's Game mode turned off. In game mode:
* Defense+/Firewall alerts are suppressed as if they are in training mode;
* AV database updates and scheduled scans are postponed until the gaming is over;
* Automatic isolation of unknown applications and real-time virus detection are still functional.

Last edited:
For users:
For those having this problem, and have Comodo firewall, I have a workaround for what is a bug in the game:

1) Set both the firewall security level and defense+ security level to disabled.
2) Launch the game.
3) Alt-tab out of the game.
4) Open Comodo, go to Firewall, click "View Active Connections", find the running game, right-click, and click "Add as trusted", or something like that.
5) Similarly for Defense+, click "View Active Process List", and repeat.
6) Turn the firewall and defense+ back on.
7) Play the game, and hopefully enjoy it.

For the development team
If you haven't used Comodo firewall before, it restricts what executables can do (such as refusing writes to the registry), and also from accessing the internet. When a new executable tries to perform a restricted action, or access the internet, Comodo raises a dialog in the bottom-right corner. The dialog will appear after the game has launched, I'm guessing when it's trying to write to the registry, so it will appear behind/underneath the game. The game cannot proceed execution until the user alt-tabs out and gives permission. However, unlike the vast vast majority of other PC games, this game cannot be alt-tabbed out of, it cannot be closed, ALT+F4 does nothing, CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing, while it's in this halted state. By not testing your game against various firewalls and configurations, you have given the user no other option than to hard reset the machine.