• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reconquest of Erfurt

We take this chance to further centralise our Government. We have money, but not magistrates to build anything and further improve our country.
reconquestoferfurt_1.png

That and technology cost leads us to a change to Despotic Monarchy. The increased infamy limit is also nice - time to invest in North Africa? ;)
reconquestoferfurt_2.png

There are a few loose cities that we should be able to conquer easily, like Ceuta or Tangiers, and that will put us ahead of any other German country when they core.

We can now build Churches. What about them? Nothing, Government tech 5 is important to enact a tax reform (Land Taxation) that gives a +1 base tax to a random province and a permanent country modifier. We only need Administrative rating of 8 - the ruling king doesn't have enough rating, but the grown up heir has.
reconquestoferfurt_3.png

Our armies arrive back home from Poland (yes, it is a long journey) and I noticed Thuringia is all alone.
reconquestoferfurt_4.png

I said I wanted to wait until I form Westphalia, but it was so nicely alone I had to strike.

Wilhelm I faces little resistance
reconquestoferfurt_5.png

We assault the city, but they resist. Obviously are fierce fighters that belong in Brunswick
reconquestoferfurt_6.png

But even fierce fighters have to eat.
reconquestoferfurt_7.png

Our core is recovered
reconquestoferfurt_8.png

And we get -1 infamy at a low cost :)
reconquestoferfurt_9.png

Very nice I love war subscribed.
Warmongering can be addicting:ninja:
It is!

I'm already planning in advance - I want to be in a state of war for at least 30-40 year. Until now the longest time in war was 9 years, covering four separate wars. That is too short :rolleyes: When I'm ready, I want to have a worthy war!

One of the tricks I do is to keep adding countries.
When current wars are in moping up phase.
Or just when I can.
In IN one time I was at war for 72 years and added over 650 provinces.
had to stop wars lost control of WE 13.6.:sad:
Took 12 years of rebel bashing to get everything back under control. :eek:hmy:
What are settings in your game?

Unexpected (and inconvenient) Call to Arms

Our land technology evolved. Of course, this is where we have been investing.
teutonicwar.png

But now we shift to Government tech, because level 6 gives us a second idea.

Peace brings decadence? I'm glad Brunswick spends most of its time embroiled in wars then!
teutonicwar2.png

A couple months of malus or a shift towards Plutocracy?
teutonicwar3.png

No thanks, you guys have the money, but the other guys have the men for our kingdom to wage war.

Then stuff like this happens. Again.
teutonicwar4.png

Remember last time we said we'd pay them off if we were at peace? Well, we paid them off now not because we said we would, but because the timing is very inconvenient ;) We don't have the men to fight them off in our homeland.

Finally, we get a magistrate!
teutonicwar5.png

We get called into another war by Poland. Reconquest of something something...
teutonicwar6.png

This is the force we assign to the war:
teutonicwar7.png

3000 men? Really? Where is the rest, you ask?
Here, either on Africa or on its way there when we got the CtA:
teutonicwar7a.png

This is our plan: we unload all the troops in Ceuta, and then we move them piece by piece to Castillian Africa (our fleet is composed of merely 4 cogs). Afterwards, we shall declare war on Hafsids with Holy War casus belli, since Castille declared a Crusade on them but hasn't moved to wage war on them yet. Green dots are the countries we have military access with.

And this is how things are going in the Teuton front.
teutonicwar8.png

We waited for Poland to destroy the Teuton stacks and then sneaked into Marienburg (the capital) and Elbing. Later we made some troops and moved into Polaga, but when we saw Ostpreussen was empty, we moved there instead in order to dominate another siege.
Mecklenburg fought some naval battles in the Baltic (not very successfully I'd say) and managed to land some troops in Kurland and Ösel. In total we lead 5 sieges, including the capital. I hope to get something out of this war :)

North African Campaign

The plan was to declare war on Hafsids. That did not occur. They were already at war with Castille, and they would bring in more allies. So, and since a colonisation stepping stone is what I wanted, why not go straight to Fez?
NorthAfricanCampaign.png

We cancelled our Military Access and declared war without CB.

Our first stopping point was Melilla - isolated and rebel held city. We moved all our armies, 4k by 4k to the city, until it fell:
NorthAfricanCampaign2.png

Then we asked for Military Access from Marinids. It was Unlikely they would grant us that, but they did. A pleasant surprise (the Marinids were in a Truce with Fez, so that means they are not in good terms with each other).
NorthAfricanCampaign3.png

That made things simple. The main army moved from Melilla to Ceuta (yellow line), left a siege force and continued just in time to intercept the Fezian army retreating to Rabat:
NorthAfricanCampaign4.png

Another another small army, that came from Constatine to Melilla on foot in the meantime, reached Fez before (orange line) what was left of the Fezian army (blue-green line):
NorthAfricanCampaign5.png

Some weakling rebels popped up at Rabat which Wilhelm destroyed quite easily:
NorthAfricanCampaign6.png

The one-province-minor know as Ziyyanid offered us White Peace, which we accepted
NorthAfricanCampaign7.png

North Africa is mostly composed of 1k forts. That is the case of Fez.
NorthAfricanCampaign8.png

And Ceuta:
NorthAfricanCampaign9.png

Rabat has a level 2 fort, so it took a little longer, specially as more forces join the siege.
NorthAfricanCampaign10.png

Good news, Castille peaces out with Fez. I didn't want to peace out first and then just leave the remnants to be eaten by Castille.
NorthAfricanCampaign11.png

Leading us to end this war by taking Rabat:
NorthAfricanCampaign12.png

War is over, we think, and move our 4 cogs from the occupied Melilla to our owned Rabat. Ooops, along the way they meet a Mameluk carrack (I didn't even knew the Mameluks had boats :p ). Our four cogs were winning, but very close to the end of the engagement Castille sent out a vessel (Castille is also at war of Mameluks, because of their DoW to Tunisia (Hafsids):
NorthAfricanCampaign13.png

By the way, this is the colonisation plan:
EU3_MAP_BRU_14401228_1.jpg

No large swaths of coast, no isolated islands (except for Hispaniola or Cuba or even Cape Verde, depending on availability). Just one or two coastal provinces to minimise effect of blockades, and inland expansion.

I don't know about that colonisation plan? But it's your game.
any plans about natives?

I don't know about that colonisation plan? But it's your game.
any plans about natives?
No native nations in MPM. Also, base tax is all 1 in overseas provinces.
That plan is a rough sketch, if I see it is worth it, I'll probably try to take something more in the Caribbean. Still 50 years to go though.

closure.png

Great, another general. Not a great general, but a general nonetheless. No more leader-less armies going around!

Ostpreussen falls - at last.
closure2.png

They still don't want to accept anything but white peace with us. Sure, now I don't want any province because BB is already high enough, but at least money.

We improve in Trade, pretty much because of neighbour bonus:
closure3.png

Peace?
closure4.png

Not yet?

See, when we send our peace offers asking for some money, the Teutons refuse. I thought they were being stubborn
closure5.png

They were just feeling generous: paying you 25 ducats? No, we won't accept anything but to pay you all our money, and we will end the vassalisation of Kurland.

The Mameluks offer us White peace, which we accept
closure6.png

Now we can start moving our surplus troops from Rabat to Brunswick without fearing the Mameluke navy. We also start building a ship because Rabat is overseas and having no big ships means no tariff income.

Conquest of Westfalen

Lippe, that small one province minor decided to join our great realm more closely. Besides, we already have a core on them.
conquestofwestfalen.png

And that is where we move our national focus, because that is the way we want to expand into.
conquestofwestfalen2.png

We use this slider move towards Centralisation
conquestofwestfalen3.png

Yay, another idea!
conquestofwestfalen5.png

Of course, we choose Military Drill:
conquestofwestfalen6.png

Serfs are upset, and rightly so.
conquestofwestfalen7.png

Our research development malus is too big and needs to be shortened. We cannot afford such a gap., Wilhelm said in a speech. Of course nobody understood what he meant, but everyone cheered.

Our discipline guy died
conquestofwestfalen8.png

and we replace him for a diplomat
conquestofwestfalen9.png

Military Drill NI compensates for the loss of our Commandant

We cancel Our reputation must improve mission but at this rate it would take YEARS to fulfill. God's will odds are a bit 'broken' in favour or some missions in this version of MPM (that has since been corrected) anyway, so the king didn't care.
conquestofwestfalen11.png

We get a conquer Westfalen mission. The King did care about that!

We declare war:
conquestofwestfalen12.png

Their single ally, Cologne, answers in their aid, only to get crushed:
conquestofwestfalen13.png

In our Northern ports, an Hamburgian merchant conceives a new naval tactic that will give us a small edge:
conquestofwestfalen14.png

Cautiously, the crown accepted to support the testing of that discovery.

And then this happens! Please, please don't die!
conquestofwestfalen15.png

Ooofff, he lived. I'm glad, that man (he is already a man now) will bring great improvements to our country.

Wilhelm assaults the city of Cologne himself, and he achieves success.
conquestofwestfalen16.png

They pay 42 ducats for us to leave the city, which we accept.
conquestofwestfalen17.png

Westfalen required not one, but several assaults until it fell in Brunswickian hands
conquestofwestfalen18.png

They had a lot of money to offer us (something like 150, maybe a bit more), but we are swimming in cash (over 1500 on hand) and we shall get a core on their lands:
conquestofwestfalen19.png

No to the Turks!

Our oldest conquest adopts our culture!
smallpeace.png

Our junior partner insults us, but they didn't mean any harm, so we forgave them.
smallpeace2.png

This time the Ottomans attack Poland directly.
defenseofPoland.png

We need to help our ally against the warmongering Turks and the advance of Islam!

defenseofPoland2.png

The Pope doesn't know what he is talking about - centralisation is good.

We reach Southern Poland and have our first engagement with the Ottomans
defenseofPoland3.png

We were overwhelmed by the numeric superiority of the Turkish army, and withdrew.
For this campaign, we don't have any plans. We need to cooperate with our allies in the region to fight the Ottomans if we want to avoid failure - Bohemians and Austrians both fight along us and the Polish against the Turks.

In the meantime, the neighbouring Chernigov (a mid-size country) declares an aggression war on Poland. We join another CtA.

Poland, Austria and Bohemia take care of it rather quickly. I'm glad the South wasn't left unprotected for longer - I limited myself to moving my armies around keeping the Ottomans from entering via Transylvania, which is not yet in the war.
defenseofPoland4.png

They march south and engage the enemy.

Our first victory in this war was engaging a retreating Ottoman army into Braila.
defenseofPoland5.png

Braila is a choke point, if we exclude Ottoman movements through Transylvania.

That didn't last long - Transylvania joined the Ottoman Empire in the war, and we moved our armies there
defenseofPoland6.png

A successful engagement against the Transylvanian king

A much needed advancement:
defenseofPoland7.png

The last of the Transylvanian armies is wiped out:
defenseofPoland8.png

Some men we left behind with the Polish (less the AI suddenly remembers to leave sieges unattended) brought us the news of a victory!
defenseofPoland9.png

We still have our Military Accesses in the region, and we still use them extensively
defenseofPoland10.png

Another retreating army in Braila is defeated. We take care of the timing to assure our armies arrive at the right moment :)
Something very important when you are trying to coordinate with allies (noticed the Polish shield in our battles?)

Austrians, Polish and Bohemians secure Transylvania.
defenseofPoland11.png

There is a 15k stack of Ottomans on the other side of the border, which we noticed in our movements in the region - not a threat at the moment.

Our inflation is not spiralling, but we appreciate the currency revaluation nonetheless.
defenseofPoland12.png

Price stability is a target of this government ;)

defenseofPoland13.png

Poland peaces Transylvania, taking Kolozs (a gold province). That should help us in this and other wars.

That Ottoman stack at the border entered via Banat and engaged the Austrian-Brunswickian army.
defenseofPoland14.png

Victory was not possible, so we withdrew to Hungary

Ottomans are playing clever
defenseofPoland15.png

They did successfully Incite against Merchants a few months earlier, but this time they failed.

This is a preview of our movements, since this AAR post is getting near the limit
defenseofPoland16.png

The Austrians secure Preslav, and we follow them there (yellow)
Our main army moves along with the allied armies against the last Ottoman in Polish land in Alba, while our small re-inforcement moves to Barlad (orange line).
From there, they meet the retreating armies at Chilia (darker orange), and intercept them again at Alba (red)
We then move our armies to the front (pink).

I like that you help your ally.:)
Myself I never ally anyone, That way if I fall on my face it's my own fault.
Happened 2 or 3 times in 150+ games, With the house rules and setings in current game has happened 2 times allready
and I am only in 1464. Attacking into TI can be brutal.:(
Back OT Is crushing the infidels a goal or just supporting allies?

I like that you help your ally.:)
Myself I never ally anyone, That way if I fall on my face it's my own fault.
Usually I don't ally anyone besides vassals either, because the big boys (Castille, France, England) are always drawing me into useless wars somewhere.

Back OT Is crushing the infidels a goal or just supporting allies?
Just supporting allies - Poland is a good ally to keep because it's wars don't affect my homeland, and because it has close access to Germany. Besides it also has a quite good military.

Ottomans exposed

The movements I explained earlier.
defenseofPoland17.png

defenseofPoland18.png

That is Erseum, a small little ally of the Ottomans. There were some Ottomans there, but for some reason they don't appear

The city of Braila surrenders!
defenseofPoland19.png

Followed by Preslav
defenseofPoland20.png

How does that leave the war, you may ask:
defenseofPoland21.png

Not bad, but the AI will never make concessions on such low War Score.

Bye bye, retreating Ottomans
defenseofPoland22.png

We teach the Ottomans how real spies act!
defenseofPoland23.png

Well, kind of.
defenseofPoland24.png

Some rebels in an isolated region of their empire are also just a distraction anyway

And this is the current state of the Ottoman Empire
defenseofPoland25.png

As you can see, it's almost clear of armies.

We act to remove the small armies before they gather up:
defenseofPoland26.png

Man that Ottoman's is big for the AI.
Yea you will need to hold capital + several prov to get anything worthwhile.:(