• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm. my only concern is that the divisions retreating will be too exhausted to effectively defend on the Maginot line. I hope you have some garrisons waiting.

Good spoiling attack as far aas it went. I still think it would have been wiser to go for smaller tactical encirclements.

This is awesome, love a good France AAR. Hungry for updates and bacon, but mostly updates.... keep it up =D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good job Mankle. I remember my first combats in HOI3 were scary because of all the unknowns, and you have addressed many of those concerns here.

For what it's worth; encirclement campaigns are a feature of mobile warfare, and France, in this case, just didn't have enough tanks and motorized infantry to make it work.

I once had the same happen to me, playing Germany. luckily, it was right before the end of the Polish cmpaign. I must say, it is an impressive sight, watching those 40-odd divs racing across Germany. too bad you can't see it from your end.

I once had the same happen to me, playing Germany. luckily, it was right before the end of the Polish cmpaign. I must say, it is an impressive sight, watching those 40-odd divs racing across Germany. too bad you can't see it from your end.

what is even a beteter sight is when those racing 40 divisions reach the front and cut of an odd 20 french divisions from the MAginot line. It makes a french attack on german soil really viable... for you :)

This has been an excellent training lesson for me. Really interesting, fun, well laid out, and damn, after following it I feel like I understand HOI3+SF a hell of a lot better than when I started. Thank you much Mankle!

So, I must say I've played on Easy which certainly afforded me certain ... abilities. Where your lessons cut off, I was able to encircle and consume german divisions. Then was able to keep moving into Germany and (it took them to late October to take Poland, and somehow Republican Spain won!) start a defense line from Praha straight up, and diagonally back to Pfunds. Soon after Germany called in Italy, but it was too late. I moved in and took Berlin and then, finally "Wiened" them off of their nefarious ways and got them to surrender! But then my new question starts ... (maybe some "spoilers" ahead, though I don't think the same thing happens every time, given that Republican spain actually won.)

When they surrendered, they did so totally, "their troops are far too weary to fight on, and they lack the financial means to sustain their army." Poland, who was an Ally and did great delaying the Germans for me to capture most of Germany, switched from Ally to Comintern, Czech anneexed Slovakia (I was gon' get them next!), Yugoslavia annexed Croatia, and Germany became FRG, a new Ally, but without any troops. My units are now in "Foreign Territory" (Poland, Czechoslovakia, Austria ... and so are the old German troops still around, and the Italians are too (my next move will be to convert them to the "good").

But I'm curious why Poland switched, what I should do about the remaining German troops, if I need to protect the FRG, and if it's ok for me to march through "foreign territory" to get my troops into Italy. Also, do I need to start worrying about Russia and the rest of the Comintern as they weren't fully attacked by Germany? Obviously, I've looked through the manual (though I certainly haven't read it cover to cover; more hopping around), but this was a different situation than I expected for sure.

Anyways, great tutorial and this is one hell of an interesting and fun game and learning environment.

Thanks!

Mapo

p.s. keep this tutorial coming, it's wonderful. I will need to try my next round on normal, and certainly expect the rest of your words will prove beneficial.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hoping this isn't dead -- I loaned my copy of HOI 3 Vanilla to a friend, and this makes me want to try it again.

This is a great AAR - very helpful for a newbie. I've learnt loads - many thanks. Keep it up please - interested to see when and if you can stop the German thrust coming through Belgium and NL - has your strike improved or hurt their disposition to the allies?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks to all . . . I've been away from the game for the last few months, having been too busy with real life to play it! I'm not sure how much more I'll be able to get done in this AAR (I'm hesitant to call it "dead" just yet), but this one is a lot more work my other one (which is almost at the end). I've kept good notes for this AAR, as well as lots of screenshots, so it's a lot of work to get updates going.

I do hope to come back to it soon! Thanks for reading, and especially for keeping the AAR on the first page! I'm amazed that it hasn't fallen well back by now!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If you could do a tutorial with Japan after this, I'd be grateful. I suck at using laws to increase the amount of produced units. And OOB sorting is hard for me, as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: