• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord_Bean

Captain
60 Badges
Apr 15, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
Something that's been bugging me for some time is the fact that successful treatment by your Court Physician can actually lead to a stat boost. Most diseases give a malus to all or some of your stats, and I understand that a succesfull treament serves to mitigate this (somewhat).

The odd thing is however, that since the treatment modifier is generic, it may actually increase your stats compared to when you were healthy. Case in point my Emperor with cancer, which gives no malus to any of the main stats:

20180819100931_1.jpg

However who received a successful treatment for +2 to everthing!

20180819100937_1.jpg

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to link the treatment modifier to the disease it attempts to cure, but I can imagine it might put more of a strain on the game speed due to extra checks.

What are your thoughts?

I got excited for that, too. But I think the devs explained some time ago, back when Reaper's Due was still new, that it doesn't actually improve your stats. Getting sick and getting treated isn't a method of self-improvement, but "repairs" your injured stats up to those values.

So, if you lost -1 in a given stat, you gained -1 back. If you lost -3, you're up to -1. If you lost nothing, you gain nothing.

Something that's been bugging me for some time is the fact that successful treatment by your Court Physician can actually lead to a stat boost. Most diseases give a malus to all or some of your stats, and I understand that a succesfull treament serves to mitigate this (somewhat).

The odd thing is however, that since the treatment modifier is generic, it may actually increase your stats compared to when you were healthy. Case in point my Emperor with cancer, which gives no malus to any of the main stats:

View attachment 398412

However who received a successful treatment for +2 to everthing!

View attachment 398413

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to link the treatment modifier to the disease it attempts to cure, but I can imagine it might put more of a strain on the game speed due to extra checks.

What are your thoughts?
That's not how it works.
Disease give a characteristic penalty, that treatments can alleviate or make worse. However, the treatment effect only applies to the characteristics modified by the disease. So in your case, the treatment doesn't change any of your stats except health, since Cancer only affects health and fertility.
The treatment also can't be stronger than the disease, so even if the treatment game you 10 health, it would only counter -3 given by Cancer, and the 7 remaining health wouldn't apply.

I got excited for that, too. But I think the devs explained some time ago, back when Reaper's Due was still new, that it doesn't actually improve your stats. Getting sick and getting treated isn't a method of self-improvement, but "repairs" your injured stats up to those values.

So, if you lost -1 in a given stat, you gained -1 back. If you lost -3, you're up to -1. If you lost nothing, you gain nothing.

Yep, you can see this in the game files, as health is separated into two modifiers health and health_penalty.

Well in that case wrap me in a brown sash and call me a tribal ruler because I could've sworn the stats increased... but after checking more carefully you are obviously right. Thanks for the info and sorry for the pointless thread then.

It's a pity that treatments don't increase your base stats - I can imagine a king getting the flu and his physician and recommending that he chew on some imported coca leaves . . .

Well in that case wrap me in a brown sash and call me a tribal ruler because I could've sworn the stats increased... but after checking more carefully you are obviously right. Thanks for the info and sorry for the pointless thread then.
If it helps. I wasn't aware of this either, so your question helped both you and me learn something. Thanks man.