[TIP] A New Discovery, parallel metros

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chainspell

Corporal
29 Badges
Feb 24, 2011
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hello once again! Previously I discovered (not the first to discover ofcourse) that you needed metros close to your bus lines to alleviate the congestion. And now after playing more Cities in Motion, I realized why not build multiple parallel metro lines?

This is me at 1922:
Cities In Motion 2011-03-05 17-08-01-54.jpg Cities In Motion 2011-03-05 17-08-11-18.jpg

After doing this I cut my normal queue line by a lot, and my plan was to go 3 parallel lines in the future. And now thinking about it, I really don't need 2 seperate networks or pipes, I can just run them all in one pipe and have multiple stops. Because it's really the stops that cause the bottlenecks.

In transport tycoon you can build train stations that hav 5 lanes in one station. Here's an image of a 2-lane station:
palmTycoon3.gif

So you can have up to 5 trains loading and unloading at the same time.

Now going back to Cities in Motion, we all know the slowest point of a metro line are the stops. Why aren't there multiple lanes available you ask? I guess because in real life subways don't have multiple lanes (unless I'm wrong).

Well anyways, I'm probably wrong again but for now I'm finding the game very challenging and puzzling!!!

Why aren't there multiple lanes available you ask? I guess because in real life subways don't have multiple lanes (unless I'm wrong).

NYC has four tracks. The outer two are local, with platforms at each station. The middle two are express tracks and only have platforms at major stations. :)

800px-Broadway-Lafayette_station_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Behind the camera is the southbound local. Track nearest the camera is southbound express.
Next track is northbound express, and at the far side you see a northbound local train.

Last edited:
Hello once again! Previously I discovered (not the first to discover ofcourse) that you needed metros close to your bus lines to alleviate the congestion. And now after playing more Cities in Motion, I realized why not build multiple parallel metro lines?

(image removed from quote)

After doing this I cut my normal queue line by a lot, and my plan was to go 3 parallel lines in the future. And now thinking about it, I really don't need 2 seperate networks or pipes, I can just run them all in one pipe and have multiple stops. Because it's really the stops that cause the bottlenecks.

Here is a tip for parallel stations ;)
CiM_parallel_metro_stations.png

Build at different levels when placing them close or you will get in trouble making lines that don't connect to the parallel one.

In transport tycoon you can build train stations that hav 5 lanes in one station.

So you can have up to 5 trains loading and unloading at the same time.
You should try the TTDPatch if you got Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
http://www.ttdpatch.net/features.html

Here is a tip for parallel stations ;)
Build at different levels when placing them close or you will get in trouble making lines that don't connect to the parallel one.

You should try the TTDPatch if you got Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
http://www.ttdpatch.net/features.html
oh damn you! lol i saw the image of how that looks like with landscape on, and now you're showing me this!! now you just broke my dreams x2!! gee thanks... now im just gonna wanna copy it :(

I recommend OpenTTD, it's really awesome, timetables and everything!

Anyways, I discovered this in my games as well and started using disconnected routes for all types of transportation. Since vehicles only break in stations, a very interesting option is to create multiple stations next to each other and distribute your metro lines among all rails, which leads to minimal congestion. I also experimented with closed metro loops where you have one line going in one direction and a second in the other direction, to increase throughput. The downside of the latter is that it leads to congestion at certain stops in each direction.

I already suggested on Facebook that subway metros get a multilayer station. You can build it on layer 1, 2 or 3 already, but if you then add a track it's only passing underneath or on top, but it's not connecting to the station. So instead of having to add 3 metro stops it would make sense to be able to build 1 stop that can access on all 3 layers the same time as in reality. ;)

As usual only got a "we're working on the other things" as a reply, but don't think they actually do as my post was quite extensive and during beta... I think they didn't give a poop. :)

TTDpatch have not stopped. They have however not put up an official release since 2007. There are betas and nightly builds, last was in January though...
Never tried OTTD before I left it a couple of years back. I was going to for the improved airports, but other things caught my attention :)

Not to butt in, but don't forget about Simutrans! That game is the reason I was interested in this game to begin with! It's still being developed as well... extremely slowly, but still...

And as for multiple metro stations... you all are clearly much richer than me :p

Had about 350k banked iirc :)
You just have to ignore the crowded stations and increase the ticket price until you get enough cash to expand. If they are desperate enough to wait for ages they will also pay a lot :D
Had my ticket prices up just below the dark red and made a lot of cash.

Had about 350k banked iirc :)
You just have to ignore the crowded stations and increase the ticket price until you get enough cash to expand. If they are desperate enough to wait for ages they will also pay a lot :D
Had my ticket prices up just below the dark red and made a lot of cash.

Had my ticket prices up to 99, and made a lot of cash...100.000 in a few minutes to be exact:rolleyes:

Thats not working for me. People are just not going to drive with that line and smiles goes to red quickly

As I understand it, you only set it that high if your station is full and the metro is approaching. Once the metro is empty you set it back to normal. The people waiting on the station will pay.

It's evil... Just imagine you stand on the station in a huge crowd and suddenly a loudspeaker is announcing: "Dear passengers, because there are so many passengers we raise the ticket prices by 2000%. Enjoy your ride and, please, don't kill the driver in your anger because he is in a position as bad as you: It's the end of the month so we cut his salary by 95%" :D

As I understand it, you only set it that high if your station is full and the metro is approaching. Once the metro is empty you set it back to normal. The people waiting on the station will pay.

It's evil... Just imagine you stand on the station in a huge crowd and suddenly a loudspeaker is announcing: "Dear passengers, because there are so many passengers we raise the ticket prices by 2000%. Enjoy your ride and, please, don't kill the driver in your anger because he is in a position as bad as you: It's the end of the month so we cut his salary by 95%" :D

Hehe, yea I think in real passengers would run amok. ^^

Does this trick just work for metros? I tried it with water boats and tram but it's not working the way you explained.