• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We decided not to start tonight for various reasons. Sorry. :(

We did, however, manage to succesfully get the game running through Gameranger, and without lag, so far as I could tell.

I would suggest that anyone else who is interested in playing speak up now, as Formula and I have been talking about how to make a balanced 4-player MP.

I'm looking forward to using the Gameranger. I'm fine with a small group. I'm in two games now that are 8 or more and it gets wild.

So just post the start date on the first page.

Yup, next week will be the start. I'm going to be playing byzantines; wish me luck. Blublub, would brabant be alright instead? you'll be a colonizer slower, but the rest of us are taking brandenburg/bohemia, milan, and byzantium, so you'll be able to get a ridiculous head start as portugal and the game just won't be fun. If you really, really want to play portugal, I don't mind a real challenge. :D

Yup, next week will be the start. I'm going to be playing byzantines; wish me luck. Blublub, would brabant be alright instead? you'll be a colonizer slower, but the rest of us are taking brandenburg/bohemia, milan, and byzantium, so you'll be able to get a ridiculous head start as portugal and the game just won't be fun. If you really, really want to play portugal, I don't mind a real challenge. :D

Vat, vat did you say?

With only 4 people interested at the moment, we figured that playing majors wouldn't really work, so we tried to figure out how to best make a balanced four-player game using minor countries. We decided upon Milan/Savoy, Brandenburg, Brabant, and Byzantium (using the Fantasy Byzantium scenario).

Of course, if more people join up, it's a moot point, but you should probably be aware of what Formula and I discussed last night. Thoughts?

With only 4 people interested at the moment, we figured that playing majors wouldn't really work, so we tried to figure out how to best make a balanced four-player game using minor countries. We decided upon Milan/Savoy, Brandenburg, Brabant, and Byzantium (using the Fantasy Byzantium scenario).

Of course, if more people join up, it's a moot point, but you should probably be aware of what Formula and I discussed last night. Thoughts?

Byzantium is claimed, so that leaves Milan/Savoy, Brandenburg and Brabant. I like Brandenberg.

Sure, Brabant is fine. Although I'm a real MP newbie so Portugal might not be such a bad idea to even things out.

Well, its up to you. if you really, really wanna play portugal that's fine. But keep in mind that the rest of us are smaller, and won't even consider any colonies until at least 1600. so you'll probably end up dominating the seas by that time which will discourage a prospective english/spanish player. With brabant, I won't lie to you. You do have some shitty events at the start, but the dutch provinces are mega-rich and you already have most of them; so in my opinion it balances out, and you'll still end up getting colonies first out of all of us. Your main enemy is burgundy until you take flandern, which really if you do it soon after the start is easy since it'll be distracted against france. As well if you vassalize countries in between you and burgundy you'll have no problem attacking them whereas they will not be able to touch you. France will be a bit of a challenge but you can outtech them going innovative because you have very few religious difficulties until much later in the game. plus you only have a few provinces to fortify up to ridiculous levels.

On that, there obviously will be other people who want to join eventually. What do you guys think of giving us a 50, 100, or 150 year head start to get our respective countrys going, then allowing others to join as majors. Unless 3 people join before next monday, of course, in which case we'll all be majors.

I'm pretty sure that makes a first for playing BYZ in MP though :D

once we figure out what our delay on allowing others in is, I'll update the first page. Projected start date/time is January 25 (Monday, right?) at 700EST. I believe that's an hour later for you Blublub, being in minnesota, but I'm not totally sure if you're CST or not. 600 works too if everyone says its okay. We'll go for...4 hours?

So what is up with the game?

I found this from Yodamaster in the tech section:

Some configurations require VC++ Redistributable in order to use the multiplayer functions.

But other than that I don't know about any other fixes.

This is a weird situation, I found one post where the Universal Plug n Play was enabled and he played the game successfully. When I disabled UPnP, it came up with the warning about multiple peer to peer connections. And that is pretty much what happened. If either of you find something out there, let me know.

Not that it matters at this point, but if we continue, you should change the country assignments.

Last edited:
When the AI is capable of beating eight humans, of course.

No, probably in the next month or two, actually.

When the AI is capable of beating eight humans, of course.

No, probably in the next month or two, actually.

Drat, that pretty much kills this game for now.