• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Ryukyu, although Yaroslavl sounds like an entertaining excercise in pain and frustration.

2. I can see what you mean about colonisation - it's less vigorous than a hibernating bear.

3. In conclusion, well done and thank you for the ride!

Ubik: I’ll think about waiting until MMP2 comes out but if the release date is as orwell mentioned in the Magna Mundi forum:

orwell said:
Summer/Late Summer.

Then I might go ahead and do the AAR in 1.404. If you can give something more specific I’ll very likely wait.

aldriq: I shared the same thoughts as you about changing nations and the ability to be recognized but in the first round I tried, the game recognized me within the first few months. Perhaps this would change later on but it hasn’t affected the practice rounds.

As for NI’s, I don’t think I’ll change them midgame ever again unless I have a 9 admin. Remember when I changed them this game, I had an admin 3 so that was bad timing and the reneging the past took almost 30 years to get cleared up. The last 5 - 8 weren’t so bad but the event was still there. However, now that I know the basic setup of MMP and the differences between that and the 1.3 version I played all the time, I’m beginning to like it more. One thing I left out of my critique though was election costs. I still can’t stand those.

RGB: It may seem odd, but I have a pretty decent time with Yaroslavl. The lack of missions for the AI in MMP basically dictates that at first, both Tver and Yaroslavl will receive guarantees from Muscovy and Novgorod.

Yaroslavl is very doable while I’m beginning to have my doubts about Ryuku. If I get lucky with one of these practice runs like I did before, I may have to run with it. :)

Winner: I was joking about the pirates :D I know they bother a lot of people but I have had no problems with them. Give more, give less, it doesn’t matter to me.

To all: I’m surprised by how most of you are voting. I thought for sure everyone would go for the Yaroslavl/Ryuku split. But I don’t mind, I’m eager to play either nation no matter the form. I recently added MMP 1.404 so I’m getting used to any changes there are and I’m reading bits of the manual that have to deal with Japan. Hopefully I won’t have too many restarts and I’ll be able to provide a strategy that doesn’t rely on luck however, that seems unlikely.

The vote so far:
13 Ryuku
1 Yaroslavl
0 Split

For everyone who voted for a WC, you’ve seen the manpower problems I had with Ireland, right? And to do such a thing with Ryuku in any form of MM? I may be certifiable when the full moon rises but such a moon doesn’t exist every time I get the urge to play.

The split is a very poor way of playing with Magna Mundi. There will be inconsistencies and problems with that.

Its a Summer/Late Summer release yes. But I feel sorry for not having an AAR of yours around as a showcase for MMP2.

TBH I am actually surprised that you had so few complaints with MM. Reading between the lines of a lot of your posts (always a bad thing, I know), you seemed very frustrated at times with some of the events (or the way the game panned out, I don't necessarily mean "Events" from the events folder).

What would be cool, however impossible, would be if you could actually play both countries at once. Not on two computers, but be able to play 10 years as each, then merge the saved games. Would never work, but would be fun.

Will leave off my vote for now, as I haven't read Yaroslavl. Will read the new AAR, whatever it is. :)

Yaroslavl!

Great AAR, just read it all in the past 2 days. One question though, several times you didn't join a war due to a 6 stab hit from having military access. Why not just cancel the MA before pressing accept? That way you only take a -1 stab hit.

I shared the same thoughts as you about changing nations and the ability to be recognized but in the first round I tried, the game recognized me within the first few months. Perhaps this would change later on but it hasn’t affected the practice rounds.

The alternate game was my first vote, if it was feasible, but as ubik confirms, it'll be just too messy/troublesome down the line.

Yaroslavl!

Great AAR, just read it all in the past 2 days. One question though, several times you didn't join a war due to a 6 stab hit from having military access. Why not just cancel the MA before pressing accept? That way you only take a -1 stab hit.

I wondered that too. It's not really gamey unless you have troops in their territory, anyway.

No converting to christianity! mahayana buddhists with conquer the world!

Also, I'm pretty sure ryuku isn't part of the sengoku jidai.
Ryuku isn't, but there's a decision which lets you join if you're not a Chinese vassal and are on good terms with the shogun or very good terms with a daimyo.

Even if you decide against this, however, you can still get the Jesuit events, as they are open to any non-Muslim, non-Christian nation. Japanese daimyo get a second chance event specific to Japan, which explains their higher likelihood, but they're not the only ones who can convert.

Enewald: Don’t wage wars when manpower is low? What insanity is this? What should I do when I’m bored?

ubik: I thought me playing Magna Mundi was poor all on its own. Although somehow I suspected you’d stop by and tell me it wasn’t a good way to play. ;)

With a few things that have happened recently, I’ll probably wait until MMP2.

Blackflag421: Actually, I think they start out Animist or something like that. They can convert to Buddhism provided they join up with the Shogun...

Azugal: Well, if you (or anyone else for that matter) wants to read the 1.3 Yaroslavl, I would suggest looking at the pictures only. Also, the pictures on the first page take a little while to load because I hadn’t yet mastered paint and those first pics weren’t in .jpg. :rolleyes:

As I mentioned to aldriq, the only other complaint I forgot to add were the election costs. As for whatever else there was, I tried to portray how I was feeling at the time I was playing, and rereading my notes while writing, it was an easy thing to do. The frustration I showed was getting used to the new (for me) MM setup; the difference between the 1.3 version and the latest IN versions are astronomical which was why I had so many problems. If I were to do it again (and I won’t) I have confidence that I’d be able to completely conquer Britain and take the rest of North America.

You probably don’t remember this but near the beginning of my Algiers AAR I asked, I think it was PrawnStar, if he didn’t prefer 1.3 over IN. This was because all I ever played with was Magna Mundi in 1.3 and occasionally the whole world mod. If I was rough on MM during my gameplay it was only because I was expecting a whole lot, probably more than could be delivered. Even after I finished playing my Algiers game I thought about reinstalling the 1.3 version just so I could play the old MM. But now I’m getting hooked on MMP 1.4 even if I’m not in love with everything, like the level two forts everywhere and the high technologies of non-Europeans. With MMP2 solving a majority of my problems, I’ll likely play it almost as much as I did the MM version for 1.3

Darkrenown: I always assumed the -6 stab hit would come whether I canceled it or not. Almost every game I’ve played since September has been turned into an AAR, and since I’m putting myself out there and investing so much time in creating something like this, I’d rather not test the waters. However, if it is indeed only a -1 stab hit after canceling MA, I may consider it and decide whether it’d be a gamey thing for me to do. As it stands, I’ve been trying to reconstruct my own house rules since I bought IN in January.

To all: I just received news today that my out-of-forum life ought to be picking up again in the months of July and August (at least) so I’ve decided that I’m going to wait until MMP2 comes out to attempt the AAR. If you have already voted but want to change your vote knowing this new information, edit your post by this Friday. As it stands, the results are:

Yaroslavl: 5

Ryuku: 11

I’ll listen to edited posts and re-post the results here next Friday. Remember, the game will be in MMP2.

As a side note, I’ve decided to turn my Algiers IN vanilla game into a gameplay only AAR. I should have an update out sometime Saturday with regular 2 - 3 day updates. If you don’t like the very dry humor and don’t want to catch up, we’re almost at 1650 right now so a 50 year update is going to be released sometime tomorrow or later tonight. If you do decide to follow, bear in mind that it was my very first IN game. The game will go into Ricky.

If you are playing MMP2 then my vote goes for Yaroslavl. I might go through your old Yaroslavl AAR at some point... if only the images are enough maybe you can do an abridged giant animated GIF and put it in youtube ;)

Try to overcome the world with merchants when you are bored. :p
Or read a book.

Paradox could put a pinball game in the ledger for this occasions :D

To recap:

- Tech performance for non europeans will be fixed.

- Tech performance for all AI will be fixed.

- Formed nations with 1453 technology: I hope to have solved the problem. Not sure. Need beta reports.

- 2 levels of fortress will continue in MMP2 as the standard european setup. One level means the basic militia availble (no country could hope to conquer a province with an army of 1 man, given it had no fortress there). The other level means the first level of fortification.

- Agressiveness fixed. As a new feature, we have a small but efficient system in place that can take advantage of a situational weaknesses your nation can be in (like Civil Wars, combination of WE + poor stability, NI swapping, significant number of revolts, other wars, etc) to declare war.

- Pirates completely addressed.

The biggest part of your frustration was due to the lack of preparation for the changes between MMIV and MMP. THey are HUGE and the gameplay is much more challenging, with the player's actions carrying many more long term consequences.

Enewald: Very doable :) But I’ve seen the results with the auto-send. With Ryuku or Yaroslavl in MMP, I may not have a choice.

aldriq: I added in your Yaroslavl vote after I decided to go MMP2 and since nobody edited their post, it looks like I’m going to be playing Ryuku. And I’ll think about making a Yaroslavl 1.3 MMIV youtube video. It’ll be something to do during my downtime that’s for sure, but a lot of my time on these forums has been dedicated to my dwindling AARs, future projects and the HOI2 Library. Maybe in September/October ;)

I think adding in the pinball game would be dangerous. A few years ago I developed a habit of playing a pinball game before I started writing. This habit lasted two months until I ended up wasting anywhere between 30 - 60 minutes playing pinball before I got to writing. I wasted a lot of time and became more interested in the pinball game. A very dangerous idea :)

ubik:
ubik said:
- 2 levels of fortress will continue in MMP2 as the standard european setup. One level means the basic militia availble (no country could hope to conquer a province with an army of 1 man, given it had no fortress there). The other level means the first level of fortification.

To be fair, I can’t remember the last time a country (myself included) managed to land and occupy a province (even an undefended one) with a single man. I understand the point in that someone shouldn’t be able to just walk over the province to take it but level two forts outside of Europe probably shouldn’t exist except for a few places. I wouldn’t mind lvl 1's all over the place but two makes it nearly impossible to do the impossible. :p

squigian: There’s one thing that separates my AARs from the rest of the AAR community: Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don’t. No matter what I put it out there. I think that makes the AAR that much more exciting because reaching my goals isn’t always a matter of “when,” but “if.”

To all: The vote totals haven’t changed so I’m going to be playing Ryuku in MMP2. Good news bad news.

Good news: Playing Ryuku in MMP 1.404 is possible.

Bad news: Playing Ryuku in MMP 1.404 is... tough.

I have a basic strategy that’s been working (and my goal is to provide a viable strategy not based entirely on luck) but some luck is involved. Should I find a decent video game recorder, I’ll publish my first ten to fifteen years on youtube upon the beginning of the Ryuku AAR so I don’t end up with posts like this and this.

MMP 1.404 or MMP2, my vote is Ryuku WC and will never change.

As to the lvl2 forts, I notice lvl3s fairly often ~1600, and ~1700 the richer minors in the HRE tend to have lvl7 forts.

MMP 1.404 or MMP2, my vote is Ryuku WC and will never change.

As to the lvl2 forts, I notice lvl3s fairly often ~1600, and ~1700 the richer minors in the HRE tend to have lvl7 forts.

Abstract the fortress level as the natural difficulties faced by a conqueror to fully occupy a province. In fact, even if you see a fort level 1 in aprovince, you'0ll not see there any desciption of it. That only happens when the first defensive building, Keep Network, is present.

By the mid/late game LvL 7 fortresses, the maximum in MMP start to appear, yes. Given the richness of the German OPMs they are prime candidates to get them first.

Yes, and money is clearly a factor as well. Makes sense for rich nations to upgrade their fortifications, though countries that are minting heavily don't seem to build them.

The AI makes sense, for once!

Status
Not open for further replies.