• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by EmprorCoopinius
The reception for the new ambassador from France had been quite a party, and Beauregard had charmed all of the French aristocrats easily.

Nice story. Too bad for me I know nothing of this AoN:( .

Just two comments :
1) I thought you were playing this here around 1875. If that's the case and what happened in France is conform to RL then I am sorry to say the country entered the IIIrd Republic era in 1871 after the debacle of the war against the Prussians in 1870-71; the Emperor, Napoleon IIIrd (whom some called Napoleon the Little) abdicated and retired with his family to England (indeed his son served as an officer in the english army and was killed in South Africa during the war against Shaka's Zulus).
2) You keep speaking of Rebs and rebel yells and I do not think a VICTORIOUS CSA would encourage this trend amongst its officers and enlisted:) !

Thanks for stopping by T.

1. France has the option to keep the empire, in which case Napoloeon IV rises to the throne. That's what happened here.

2. Uhmmm...possibly, but I find it highly likely that had the Confederates survived in our timeline that the rebel yell would still be a feature of army life.

I have to agree with you, EC - the Confederacy would have kept the 'rebel yell', and probably made it part of training. It is one of thos 'strange but true' facts that no-one exactly knows what it sounded like. There was a recording made of one of the last surviving Confederate soldiers (he was over 90, IIRC), but that's all we have to go by. 'Earwitness' accounts from the Civil War don't agree.

So Maximilian is gone (or never arrived?) and Mexico is under 'republican' rule? If Maximilian was still involved, those French diplomats would be a lot less easy to calm down...:D

Director:

To answer your questions in a totally random order :)

The Mexicans still have a Republic, so as far as I know Maximillian never made an appearance...though that would have been a very interesting situation, seeing as I have great relations with France in the game.

The rebel yell issue is exactly as you described it...I've tried to keep the mystery by never referring to it the same way twice...a banshee wail, a catamount's cry, etc. I didn't know they had an old Reb do it before he died...I bet it wasn't quite as inspiring as it would've been in 1862. :D

I've tried to inject some 'Southern' flavor into the writing, mostly to highlight differences between the CSA and USA as far as differences in their respective systems.

I'm heading out of town tomorrow for the weekend, so unless I get an update up tonight it'll be Sunday at least until I get a new one up. Thanks to everyone who has stopped by and offered feedback and encouragement.

October 5, 1875 - ten miles north of Mexico City

The setting of the sun brought blessed relief from the hot days to the Mexican forces gathering north of the capital. A continuous stream of men, horses, foodstuffs, weapons, cannon, and other accountrements of war snuck north from the richer southern provinces to the armies gathering to repel the yanqui invaders.

Colonel Ernesto Moreno sighed, leaning back in the camp chair as he popped his neck, trying to work out the kinks brought on from the mass of paper on his desk. Standing and straightening, he wandered out of his tent, the flickers of hundreds of fires showing the expanse of the gathering forces of the Republic.

The latest arrivals from Acapulco and Guadalajara had brought the strength of the Grand Army of the Republic to some 65,000 men, 45,000 infantry, 10,000 cavalry, and 50 field pieces. It was the largest single concentration of force that Mexico had ever put into the field.

Watching the last vestiges of sunlight fade away, Moreno wondered still if that was enough. He knew that a conscription law had been passed in September, so men were still presumably flocking to the standards. No, it was not numbers that made Moreno's doubts flare.

The firepower of the damned yanquis had everywhere surprised and astounded the Mexican forces who had faced them. It had also caused all of them to melt away like butter in the afternoon sun when brought to battle. The Republic simply had no factories or machineries to produce such weapons, could not afford the cash expenditure to procure an appreciable number, and had such atrocious credit that a loan would never be tendered by anyone in the international community.

Shaking his head to clear the thoughts from his mind, he turned away from the encampments of the army, back towards his tent as darkness fully fell. The guns the yanquis brought were formidable....but the real crux of the issue rested on leadership. Not since the days of Santa Anna had Mexico had a military mind of any extraordinary skill. Moreno feared that the generals the Republic produced could never hope to stand against Longstreet or Forrest.

Ducking through the hanging flap, he settled his spare frame back into the chair, squinting as he looked downwards at the newest requisition forms. He worked for an hour more, then putting the lamp out he slept, along with the rest of the Army, another day in their preparation for the great struggle behind them.

October 11, 1875 - outside Durango, Jalisco province

Dust clouds were a pretty common occurence this far south of the Rio Grande, but Corporal Billy Watkins had never seen one as large as the one that seemed to be sitting on the southern horizon.

It was odd, the young Alabaman thought to himself as he peered at the cloud more intently, trying to see anything that could be raising such a ruckus. The resupply wagons always came in from the north. Nothing had ever come in from the south before. He supposed it was possible, the mountain roads and paths out here were primitive at best, treacherous at worse, and he wouldn't be surprised to hear of a rockside or avalanche closing a road or two.

He had just about decided that it wasn't worth looking south anymore when the ranging shots from the Mexican artillery, drug up into the hills and hidden under cover of nightfall smashed Watkins' forward observation point, and began sowing confusion in the siegeworks of the Army of Louisiana.

----------------

"General Bragg, General Bragg!"

The courier's eyes were bloodshot and wide with fear, his cap missing, his uniform torn and burned and bullet marked. His ride back from the rapidly collapsing defensive lines had been harrowing, and he clung to discipline tenuously.

Bragg looked up from the hastily assembled maps and reports adn waved teh courier forward, reading the scrawled dispatch quickly. A note of disgust crept into his voice as he spoke to his staff, gathered round a table.

"Rutgers reports the Mexicans concentrated artillery fire along his whole front and advanced under it. By the time his boys could even look up to shoot the spics were already on them. He reports the outer and secondary lines have been abandoned...he is withdrawing towards our position as we speak."

The flurry of aides to reposition small markers and jot down new positions was an ironic counterpoint to the thundering of artillery fire, now creeping closer to the headquarters.

"Damned Mexicans must have sixty, seventy guns up in those hills....they're pinning us down everywhere and rushing the lines. Our rifles can't do much good in a melee like that."

There was no reaction to his thinking out loud, and Bragg turned away, his eyes scanning the right flank. Clouds of dirty grey smoke hung over the battlefield, and he could see banners from the Confederate units streaming back towards his position, hastily forming a new defensive line.

The artillery fire continued in volume and intensity, and reports kept streaming in of concentrated artillery fire followed by mass charges against the Confederate lines. Mexican losses were figured to be heavy, but some Confederate untits were already reporting a loss of half of their strength. Bragg knew enough to know he had to consolidate what strength he had left, and not let it bleed away in the stretched out siegeworks.

Turning back to his aides, he barked out orders, and soon riders struck out, riding hard and fast, gathering the remaining scraps of Confederate strength together as Bragg's siege collapsed.

Oh my goodness! Director staggers back, hand over heart, and fumbles into his chair.

Braxton Bragg actually listened to his scouts and changed his dispositions and plans because of what the enemy was doing!

There TRULY is a first time for everything! :D

Or maybe those 65,000 attacking Mexicans finally got his attention!

Unfortunately, our intrepid General Bragg survives till the end of the war, even when the War Department 'accidentally' left him in Mazatlan with 1,000 men for a month or so. :D

Director: He didn't really have a choice once his lines started collapsing. Stupid Bragg. Maybe if everyone hadn't been looking at the city and leaving their rear exposed, this could've been avoided. ;)

CA: Thanks very much about WoW. I knew you'd enjoy Bragg's latest adventures.:)

Originally posted by EmprorCoopinius

Director: He didn't really have a choice once his lines started collapsing. Stupid Bragg. Maybe if everyone hadn't been looking at the city and leaving their rear exposed, this could've been avoided. ;)

Study the battle of Chattanooga (heck, study Perryville or Chickamauga - not to mention Stones River) to see just what Bragg was capable of ignoring...:)

And congratulations on your WoW honor!

Stroph: I agree, but I figured the Mexicans wouldn't call them Rebels, cause....they won, and they wouldn't call them Confederates, cause that's pretty long-winded. I settled on their word for anyone from the US.

Director: The sad part is, he doesn't die. I even tried to leave him in a nice dying-likely situation and he lived. It's quite frusterating.

Barka: Just go to the AoN forums under the EU 2 main ones and you'll be able to download the AoN.

The Confederacy seems to be well equipped leaderwise, E_C. And your writing skills are better than ever. I suppose writing about something you like and have a very close relationship to does that. :)

Well done, sah!

Thank you much, Norg.

The CSA is indeed hooked up with leaders.....at least eight or ten I think, probably more. Only problem is, they all poop out together, in a 60,000 man infantry army, usually somewhere that can't support that many men in it. It's oh so fun to pause, then divide your army seven times to get the one guy you want in command to come out.

:D

I promise, update today. I've been a lazy ass. Downloading too many South Park episodes.

Yes, I am a slackass. I admit it.

Updates will be forthcoming after I get home from Thanksgiving at home. Mmmm, real food. ::throws stacks of pizza boxes out the door::

Again, my apologies to all those reading and replying. Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans.

Well, a new chapter would give us some cause for Thanksgiving because there's no turkey in this story so far...

Not including Bragg, of course.

On the other topic, I agree with you about dividing and redividing for leaders. This game needs a simple spreadsheet where you can assign resources among leaders.

Never needed it until I played Napoleonic France, where every soldier has his own Marshal to tell him what to do! :D