• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Before I set out to the war, I am setting up a campaign for women to join nursing corps in all fields: land, sea and air. You are needed! Every single on of you, we must bond together for America to fight fascism, the heart of evil!

- Christina J. Blancharde

I Hereby send the remainings of my family's fortune to help building mechanized Infantry an airplanes

Before I set out to the war, I am setting up a campaign for women to join nursing corps in all fields: land, sea and air. You are needed! Every single on of you, we must bond together for America to fight fascism, the heart of evil!

- Christina J. Blancharde

((Oddly enough I decided before this that my next character is going to be a former nurse.

Amanda Shaw (b. 1890)

I'll write a more full biography when I have more time, but was an American nurse in the great war before joining the Red Cross on its conclusion and nursing in both the Balkans and Germany. Retired from that in the early 1930s before being elected Mayor of San Francisco in 1934. Now desires to offer her expertise on the subject to the nation.

A Progressive who admires Alicia Vallejo greatly.))

Last edited:
I, Christina J. Blancharde would like to ask Ms. Shaw if she would like to be the co-president of the United States Women's Nursing Corps, with me as the other co-president. We shall represent the nurses and women during this war on fascism.

Hey BBB, When are next elections, a world map, and will this go further 1939

State of the Union Address, January 1940

We are facing dark days. Poland has been claimed by Hitler. Paris is in the iron grip the Kaiser. All of continental Europe is either united against freedom and liberty or indifferent to the plight of millions. The British Isles stand as the last beacon of hope in a sea of death and destruction, but those 21 miles of sea between our Allies and our Enemies should not be seen as an impenetrable barrier. Britain is under treat. If Britain falls, Europe falls. If Europe falls, the war is as good as lost. If so many as 1 German soldier lands under the White Cliffs, we have failed.

Elsewhere, the news is no more pretty: in the Pacific, every American presence west of Honolulu has been removed; the last NATO strongholds in the region, Australia and New Zealand, are in very real danger of Japanese assault; in India, NATO forces are being pushed back, just as they have been in Indochina and Burma; in the Americas, our own home continents, fighting has stagnated into a bloody war of attrition where no one can win; in Africa, the desert sands play host to a yo-yo war, of movement, but no progress.

There is an old proverb that says 'the night is darkest just before the dawn.' Senators, Congressmen, people of America; we must be the light that will banish the darkness. We must be the phoenix who is born out of adversity. We must hold aloft the torch of Liberty, that guides the oppressed out of the shadows. We must be the rising Sun that outshines the Moon. The question now is 'will we rise to the challenge?'. The question is 'how long until sunrise?'.

---

((I shall be putting forward some plans/legislation at some point, hopefully, later today...))

Last edited:
The Selective Service and Training Act, 1940

Section I - The Selective Service System
i. The Selective Service System (SSS) shall be established as an independent subsidiary of the Federal Government.
ii. All men between the ages of 18 and 65 shall be required to register with the SSS.
iii. Those who fail to register shall be liable for fines of up to $1,000 or a term of imprisonment of up to 5 years.

Section II - Military Service and Payment
i. All men between the ages of 18 and 45 can be called up for service by the SSS and shall be taken from each state, in proportion to its adult male population.
ii. Those called up are to be allocated to the Army and the Marine Corps.
iii. Men called up shall be paid 90% of the wage of those in a similar position in the professional regiments. There is no expectation that existing employers should pay wages during this period; however, jobs should be offered to the men upon their return from active service.
iv. Service shall last for the duration of the war and for 12 months following the cessation of hostilities with Japan, Germany, Brazil and Italy, unless they are dismissed prior to this time.
v. Military pensions shall be provided for those who cannot return to work following their return to active service, and to the families of those killed.
vi. Desertion and other such military crimes shall be dealt with by military tribunal.
vii. Those who refuse to serve under reasons of faith or belief shall be allowed to work in combat roles under civilian direction.
viii. An maximum of 1,000,000 men shall be drafted, subject to change by congress.
ix. Exemption may be sought on the grounds of importance to the war effort, and can be granted by the SSS or the President.

Section III - The Selective Service and Training Act
i. This act shall expire 12 months following the cessation of hostilities with Japan, Germany, Brazil and Italy, unless it is renewed by congress prior to this date.

---

The National Industry Act, 1940

Section I - Industrial Facilities
i. The National Work Board (NWB) shall be given powers to seize industrial facilities and convert them to produce items required for the war effort, under the direction of the Department of Industry.
ii. Factory owners shall be compensated for loss of earnings whilst their facilities are being used by the NWB.
iii. Industrial facilities shall be returned to private ownership following the cessation of hostilities with Japan, Germany, Brazil and Italy, or with the permission of the NWB.
iv. Facilities shall be returned in their original state where possible.
v. Additional industrial plant purchased by the Federal Government shall remain the property of the Federal Government after the release of the facility.

Section II - Military Orders
i. The Armed Services shall be permitted to manufacture any weapons systems they require to modernise their forces and provide equipment for newly drafted men.
ii. Orders shall also be permitted to be made by the Federal Government, as with plans to rebuild the Pacific Fleet.

Section III - Payment
i. All wages will be set by the NWB on a case by case basis, based on the technical expertise required, previous wages and region.
ii. The NWB shall be given powers to hire and dismiss staff.
iii. The federal government shall assume payment for all actions outlined in this act.

---

The Military Research Act, 1940

i. Government grants shall be provided for research and development totalling $2,000,000 to each of the Army, Navy and Air Force.
ii. Projects which show promise and have sufficient progress shall be awarded additional money, so as to complete the project, for which Congress empowers the President to spend an addition $10,000,000.

---

The Industrial Incentives Act, 1940

i. Companies already producing military equipment and supplies (as of 1st February 1940) may opt out of the National Industry Act (1940, NIA), provided they are supplying their goods purely to American or NATO forces.
ii. These companies will also qualify for a 50% reduction in their corporate tax rate until the expiration of the NIA.

---

The Women's Work Act, 1940

Section I - National Industrial Service

i. All women between the ages of 18 and 45 shall be required to register with the National Work Board (NWB).
ii. Failure to register will result in fines of up to $500.
iii. Those registered can be called up to do National Industrial Service (NIS) as employees of the NWB under the National Industry Act (1940, NIA).
iv. NIS shall last until the cessation of hostilities with Japan, Germany, Brazil and Italy, or until the woman is dismissed by the NWB.
v. Only employees of the armed forces and hospitals, women who are disabled or pregnant, women with dependant children under the age of 5 or women exempted by the President or the NWB on grounds of necessity to the war effort shall be exempt from NIS.
vi. Women with dependant children between the ages of 5 and 18 shall be allowed to opt out of NIS.
vii. Those who abscond from NIS face fines of up to $1,000 or a maximum of five years imprisonment.

Section II - Payment

i. Wages shall be paid in accordance with the NIA.
ii. The women shall be paid a sum equal to that paid to men doing equivalent jobs.
iii. Employers, from whom women are taken to complete their NIS, shall be compensated for loss of staff. They are, however, expected to offer jobs to the women, equivalent to their original job, upon termination of their NIS.
iv. All costs associated with this programme shall be paid by the Federal Government in accordance with the NIA.

Last edited:
I oppose the first two proposals, as I feel they give the government too much power, with the NIA not explicitly saying the Federal government will end its control of seized industries. Should these come to a vote, I will not support them.

The third proposals, the Research Act, is acceptable, and I'll support such legislation.

I support the Military Research Act. Secondly, the National Industry Act will it give the proper wages to female workers who will most definitely replace the male ones? Also I'm worried about the seizing of factories and will it be any or many factories of their choosing, and how they will be returned to their proper owners. Finally, the Selective Service and Training Act, though there are some areas of the bill which give the agency too much control over the people, I must agree to it so that we can fight fascism, I would also like to add to that bill that people cannot be exempted because of their wealth or powerful position.

- Christina J. Blancharde, from Tilton General Hospital, New Jersey

TOP SECRET: Memo for the Chiefs of Staff and the Secretary of Defence ((I know there are lots of characters who are Generals, but I'm unsure as to who, if anyone, is really high up in the military establishment: obviously, you shouldn't be replying to this in character if your character wouldn't have seen it...))

The following operations I send to you as suggestions for possible military plans in their vaguest forms. I would be pleased if you could reply, commenting on the feasibility and developments of these suggestions and keep me abreast of your own plans.

The following proposals are options I can foresee in the near future:
  • Operation Sea Breeze - The coastal invasion of Brazil, possibly centring around the coastal cities of Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo.
  • Operation Torch Bearer - The reinforcement of British air forces in Southern England and the deployment of the Atlantic fleet to ensure supply routes in the Atlantic and the security of the English Channel, as well as a small garrison.
  • Operation Amber Stone - The reinforcement of Commonwealth air forces in Australia, as well as a small garrison.
  • Operation Crown Jewel - The reinforcement of Commonwealth forces in India.
  • Operation Threshold - The committed defence of all remaining American and NATO islands in the Pacific.

The following proposals are long term goals:
  • Operation Neptune - The coastal invasion of France, possibly centring around the Normandy and Brittany coastline.
  • Operation Yo-Yo - The reinforcement of Commonwealth forces in North Africa.
  • Operation Ocean Waves - The reclamation of American and NATO islands in the Pacific, culminating in an invasion of Japan.

I would also like you to communicate with the other Chiefs of Staff and Ministers of Defence within NATO to organise overall leadership within each theatre.

Last edited:
I oppose the first two proposals, as I feel they give the government too much power, with the NIA not explicitly saying the Federal government will end its control of seized industries. Should these come to a vote, I will not support them.

The third proposals, the Research Act, is acceptable, and I'll support such legislation.

Does section 1, clause ii not explicitly say that "Industrial facilities shall be returned to private ownership following the cessation of hostilities with Japan, Germany, Brazil and Italy"?

I support the Military Research Act. Secondly, the National Industry Act will it give the proper wages to female workers who will most definitely replace the male ones? Also I'm worried about the seizing of factories and will it be any or many factories of their choosing, and how they will be returned to their proper owners. Finally, the Selective Service and Training Act, though there are some areas of the bill which give the agency too much control over the people, I must agree to it so that we can fight fascism, I would also like to add to that bill that people cannot be exempted because of their wealth or powerful position.

- Christina J. Blancharde, from Tilton General Hospital, New Jersey

Factories shall be seized upon the suggestion of the NWB; their number will depend upon the volume of equipment that needs to be manufactured and their location will depend upon where has the existing facilities needed or is a suitable site for the particular project. The factories will be returned to their owners upon the cessation of hostilities in their original state. All government equipment purchased during this period and installed will be sold on, either to the owner or a third party. I shall be amending the bills to make this clear.

I agree that wealth should not be an exempting factor; however, I shall be amending the bill to ensure that our country is not deprived of the political (or military ((though why would you draft someone already in the military?)) ) leadership it needs to continue fighting this war.

---

Edits made to bills:
SSTA Section 2 - New clause: ix. Exemption may be sought on the grounds of importance to the war effort, and can be granted by the SSS or the President.
NIA Section 1 - New clause: iv. Facilities shall be returned in their original state where possible.
NIA Section 1 - New clause: v. Additional industrial plant purchased by the Federal Government shall remain the property of the Federal Government after the release of the facility.

Last edited:
((Sorry for so many posts... this is the last one, I promise!))

Press Release from the White House
The President shall be meeting the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern ((?)) Ireland in Canada later this month to discuss the objectives of the NATO alliance. They will also be discussing the situation in Europe and around the world, and the potential for the expansion of NATO to cover more countries or other more informal alliances.

I apologize for overlooking that section of the bill; however, I still am reluctant on the idea that government should seize control of factories; instead, perhaps we could use a tax incentive to encourage the American industries. Furthermore, I am certain many, if not most, American companies will willingly aid the government in the war effort.

I will begin making my war plans, which I will send to the White House soon.

While I agree with Secretary Jarvis that incentives and requests should be the government's first course of action when dealing with industrial owners, and should perhaps be included in the bill, I support the provisions of the National Industry Act. If, for whatever reason, factory owners refuse to cooperate with war-time needs after being offered appropriate incentives and compensation, the government should have the power to seize them for the war effort. I also support the other two bills.

While I can only speak for naval matters, I believe Operation Threshold will give us the time we need to reorganize our naval forces in the Pacific and prepare for a dedicated assault on the Imperial Japanese Navy and an eventual push to the Japanese mainland itself.

In light of recent political support for such a measure, I propose the following act:

The Industrial Incentives Act, 1940

i. Companies already producing military equipment and supplies (as of 1st February 1940) may opt out of the National Industry Act (1940, NIA), provided they are supplying their goods purely to American or NATO forces.
ii. These companies will also qualify for a 50% reduction in their corporate tax rate until the expiration of the NIA.

May I suggest to President McCahill the revival of President Terrance's Women's Work Act. Having seen first hand and been one of the women who served our country during the Great War we must not neglect the role half of our population has to play in winning this war.

((Where would I find that?))

Last edited:
The Women's Work Act, 1940

Section I - National Industrial Service
i. All women between the ages of 18 and 45 shall be required to register with the National Work Board (NWB).
ii. Failure to register will result in fines of up to $500.
iii. Those registered can be called up to do National Industrial Service (NIS) as employees of the NWB under the National Industry Act (1940, NIA).
iv. NIS shall last until the cessation of hostilities with Japan, Germany, Brazil and Italy, or until the woman is dismissed by the NWB.
v. Only employees of the armed forces and hospitals, women who are disabled or pregnant or women exempted by the President or the NWB on grounds of necessity to the war effort shall be exempt from NIS.
vi. Those who abscond from NIS face fines of up to $1,000 or a maximum of five years imprisonment.

Section II - Payment
i. Wages shall be paid in accordance with the NIA.
ii. The women shall be paid a sum equal to that paid to men doing equivalent jobs.
iii. Employers, from whom women are taken to complete their NIS, shall be compensated for loss of staff. They are, however, expected to offer jobs to the women, equivalent to their original job, upon termination of their NIS.
iv. All costs associated with this programme shall be paid by the Federal Government in accordance with the NIA.

---

((You missed out the American Conscription Act; I've just noticed it was the McCahills who have proposed conscription for both wars...))

Last edited: