• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A very fair question, Mr. Khur. Many will accuse me of having some bias towards Germany, and that is certainly one possibility I have considered. I will ultimately choose whoever offers the best deal for America.

((So ingame it would end up being GB and France, seeing as how last administration we refused an alliance from them.))

I see. For now I will abstain to learn more about the policies of each nominee before I cast my vote.

- Secretary of State Roderick Khur

To respond to the honorable Governor Jarvis, I would like to point out that under President Harrison I indeed served as the representative of the Empire of Liberty abroad. I do indeed believe that this nation, forged under a trial of fire and unjust tyranny from a King, hold the moral high ground over many matters. I shall not shy away from my actions, as they are what I truly believe this Great Nation stands for. It is my personal view that the United States of America is truly the last, best hope on Earth. We have the moral righteousness to claim the high ground across this globe. We are the champion of Liberty and Freedom on this Earth.

On the issue of Imperialism, I have my own take on such matters. Do I believe that the United States must branch out and conquer vast territories and lands? Absolutely not. Do I believe the dominance of the American Market and ability for America to defend herself from threats, Foreign and Domestic? Of course. In order to prevent war, we MUST be able to mobilize our economy to sway the opinions of the old regimes in Europe to let them know they are no longer in charge, and can start wars willy nilly. I do, however, believe that whatever Europe wants to do is simply up to them, as long as it does not hurt the United States. As she will always be my first and foremost priority.

((Was hoping the navy would play a bigger part in the war so I could give my guy some character development, I guess I can wait till WWI))
I vote for Simon Von Ritten the only canidate with the will to not dismantle our military. Peru was a success people! Open your eyes we have changed a dictatorship into a republic with exceptionally little loss of life!

Dismantle the military? I do not speak for Governor Jarvis, but where did you get such a fallacious assumption? Just because I will not use the Military of this Great Republic to smash down doors and break windows, does not mean I will dismantle the military. My policy is to keep America focused at home. We have no military interest in Europe. Please keep in mind, as Vice-President of the Republic, I helped run the Peruvian Liberation Operation. I shall not dismantle our military at all, I shall simply keep our boys here to defend the United States of America and her interests at home.

Dismantle the military? I do not speak for Governor Jarvis, but where did you get such a fallacious assumption? Just because I will not use the Military of this Great Republic to smash down doors and break windows, does not mean I will dismantle the military. My policy is to keep America focused at home. We have no military interest in Europe. Please keep in mind, as Vice-President of the Republic, I helped run the Peruvian Liberation Operation. I shall not dismantle our military at all, I shall simply keep our boys here to defend the United States of America and her interests at home.
England has been our greatest ally and friend, why would we turn on someone who has done nothing but help us for decades? What kind of man turn's on his friend's at the drop of a dime?

Were we not talking about the military? I was hoping you could first respond to my response to your ludicrous assumption that I shall destroy the military of this Republic. As per the break with the United Kingdom, I echo the words of President Carr, we should NOT be involved with the affairs of Europe! Our attention should be helping out our own people and building up our Great Republic.

Were we not talking about the military? I was hoping you could first respond to my response to your ludicrous assumption that I shall destroy the military of this Republic. As per the break with the United Kingdom, I echo the words of President Carr, we should NOT be involved with the affairs of Europe! Our attention should be helping out our own people and building up our Great Republic.
My point being that you would have our military sit idle while the Emperor's of Germany and Russia plan to bring the downfall of a great friend of America! We should not shy away from tyranny, we should confront it! To let every nation know that the we truly are an Empire of Liberty!

My point being that you would have our military sit idle while the Emperor's of Germany and Russia plan to bring the downfall of a great friend of America! We should not shy away from tyranny, we should confront it! To let every nation know that the we truly are an Empire of Liberty!

The only reason we are "friends" with Great Britain is because the Presidents following Jamous sought to move us away from our original friends in Europe, Germany. I say enough with Great Britain! They do not care for the interests of the US, so why should we care about their interests. Any nation that would form an alliance with France in no friend of the US.

England has been our greatest ally and friend, why would we turn on someone who has done nothing but help us for decades? What kind of man turn's on his friend's at the drop of a dime?

That's exactly what I argued last election. If we truly want to reject the notion that it is us whom are an Empire of Tyranny which the shamed Carr has instilled upon us we must ensure that no other country is able to build up its own Empire of Tyranny. To do this we must ally with those other democracies, as you rightly say our old ally the UK and France.

((Seriously why does Khur hate France so much? I'm English and I don't hate France this much despite that being our national sport.))

My plan is to never shy away from tyranny! This nation was founded on opposition to tyranny! I do implore you to take a look at the nation of Italy, highly belligerent, and yet France and the United Kingdom signed a Pact with them. Any War that should result from this should, by all intents and purposes, be the fault of the United Kingdom for supporting such a nation. Why should the United States be dragged into a war, where our blood and treasure will be spilled, because of the whims of an Italian man?

I have no ambitions to forge an alliance with any other European nation at the moment, but I will, however, look towards creating friendly relations with ALL nations willing to accept the United States of America for what it is.

What some people call liberation, I like to call empire building, Mr. von Ritter. Do we have any business overthrowing the government of a nation we don't like? If you believe that, then what is to stop a strong nation from doing the same to us?

As well, Mr. Hensdale, if you consider the states of Latin America a threat, then what is the Triple Alliance? Especially when you continue our membership in the Commonwealth? Sir, I believe your foreign policy is most unwise.

Under my administration, I will not invade a nation, simply because I dislike that nations' government; nor will I engage in gross imperialism, or support the 'Empire of Liberty," as some like to refer to our glorified imperial actions. I also do not wish to dismantle the military. Indeed, I believe that my foreign policy will be best for the military men. While I do believe in downsizing the military (and focusing more on domestic issues), I support strong benefits for our military men, and I won't send them across the world to enforce my will upon another nation, or to send them over to Europe to die for the Czar, the Kaisar, the King, or for any other Continental head in a war of folly and prestige. If the good Colonel wishes to do so, that is his business, and he is more than welcome to offer his services as a mercenary or volunteer, but I WILL NOT fight a war for a European Imperialist!

I can agree with Governor Jarvis on his pledge to not fight a war for European Imperialism. However, I must address a key issue of my policies, as well as my actions as Vice-President of the Republic.

I consider the states of Latin America a threat to the United States, simply because this is our home. We reside as the strongest nation in the Americas, we should never have that challenged by a bunch of rabble rousers. For similar reasons, we did not allow the nation of Spain to harbor the leaders of the Confederate government on the island of Cuba, and had to remove them ourselves. The greatest Threat to this nation could come from our very sphere we have decided to support, we cannot let our house fall. On the issue of the Triple Alliance, they have no means to harm the United States directly. The Commonwealth, in my opinion, does need some much needed reforms, but I support its ideal, in the aspects of the Economy.

I cast my vote for Mr Hensdale, as his policies right now are what I feel are best for our nation at this point. We must focus on finishing democratic elections within Peru and cutting down the UPCA and Chile to size before we focus on anything else.

If we had acted more befitting our status, rather than as a strutting imperialist, perhaps those Latin States would still be aligned to us. And to cite my grandfather's point, the Confederate's were at that point not a threat to our nation (and the sinking of the Maine being on their part is extremely tenuous).

I personally believe the greatest threat to our nation is a warmonger of a president. I have no desire to wage war against a minor state in South America, nor do I wish for a struggle with the Czar or the Kaiser or the King of England. Despite all your talks of friendship, you seem all to willing to continue Mr. Carr's policy of hawkishness towards the Latin Americans, even when we have no business interfering.

This nation must remain on constant vigilance for threats against it. Unfortunately, these people do not like us for our past actions, and we must not relapse and become weak enough for them to strike against us. I have no intent on waging any war, but I do solemnly affirm that this nation must remain on constant watch of our Sphere, to best protect our Interests.

Carrs term has been a disgrace, he has shamed our nation. I vote for Hensdale.

The interests of the American people, or the interests of this military-industrial complex the past few administrations have built?

War Peru a threat? Was Cuba a threat? Are the other Latin State's threats?

However, I do believe we all agree on a free market, no?

And Mr. Howard, you vote for the right-hand man of Mr. Carr, and a key player in the Harrison Administration?

I would like to remind the good Governor that while I was indeed a key player in the Harrison Administration, and I have also never went back upon my principles under Carr's Presidency. Furthermore, I have spoken out against the President many times on issues such as policy and the implementation of it. Having worked in Harrison's Administration, does that not make me more aptly qualified to forge a bond between the Federal Party and the ACP? A little unity in politics has never harmed this Great Republic.

((Man, those early presidents OTL died off a lot. We're... four presidents behind [depending on how you count Cameron, of course]?))
scaled.php

((also, Google's search by image is magical for finding the more obscure references among you guys [including Brass', but I couldn't find a better picture than the one in the thread]))

((Its very interesting to see all of the Presidents together like that. Very useful for a visual-loving person like myself.))