• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While I am greatly honored by Candidate Brass' intention to nominate me as a commander of a unified National Militia, I am loathe to forfeit my commission in the United States Army and leave behind my men during a time of uncertainty in the nation. If I am able to maintain my commission, I will do what is asked of me to serve the country; however, if I cannot remain a part of the Army then I fear I will have to decline this honor. I would appreciate some clarification on this matter.

That not withstanding, I cast my vote for Mr. Brass, as his platform more closely matches my beliefs. Nevetherless, despite whoever is elected, I remain forever in service to Our Great Union.

Colonel Max Mandrake

My primary thought was just, as a practical matter and to not seem croneystic, that the rank of Brigadier General only applied to the National Militia; but you would retain your primary commission within the US army.

In your normal duties you would remain a colonel, but when an emergency occurs and you must take command of the National Militia, you would have the relevant authority of a Brigadier General.

Does that make sense at all?

The National Militia would have to be a subsidiary of the US Army, otherwise it'd be some sort of presidential thug squad - that's not my style. Think US National Guard, not some sort of SNP-esque brownshirts organization. It's a home guard organization, not a political military auxiliary - if anyone is going to form such a group as the second it shouldn't have any official capacity, which is exactly why the SNP is going to be dissolved. States having official militias for internal matters is one thing, but any official interstate military bussiness is the business of the US army to coordinate - a group of states has no right to plan interstate military activities, it violates the division of powers in the constitution.

So yes, it would not be a civil paramilitary organization, instead think of it as a reserves corp or a homeguard unit, and because our limited officer corps can only be spared for such on a temporary part time rather than full time basis this also means that we have to conserve our talent better - which is the reason why most officers would, in any part time voluntary duties within the NM, usually carry a higher rank than their standard. We can't afford our top brass on homeguard coordinations, and its a good opportunity for the mid-echelons to be involved in grand strategy and central logistics in a less urgent reserves type setting.

Tl,dr: it's the national guard, not a new civilian agency with guns

My primary thought was just, as a practical matter and to not seem croneystic, that the rank of Brigadier General only applied to the National Militia; but you would retain your primary commission within the US army.

In your normal duties you would remain a colonel, but when an emergency occurs and you must take command of the National Militia, you would have the relevant authority of a Brigadier General.

Does that make sense at all?

The National Militia would have to be a subsidiary of the US Army, otherwise it'd be some sort of presidential thug squad - that's not my style. Think US National Guard, not some sort of SNP-esque brownshirts organization. It's a home guard organization, not a political military auxiliary - if anyone is going to form such a group as the second it shouldn't have any official capacity, which is exactly why the SNP is going to be dissolved. States having official militias for internal matters is one thing, but any official interstate military bussiness is the business of the US army to coordinate - a group of states has no right to plan interstate military activities, it violates the division of powers in the constitution.

So yes, it would not be a civil paramilitary organization, instead think of it as a reserves corp or a homeguard unit, and because our limited officer corps can only be spared for such on a temporary part time rather than full time basis this also means that we have to conserve our talent better - which is the reason why most officers would, in any part time voluntary duties within the NM, usually carry a higher rank than their standard. We can't afford our top brass on homeguard coordinations, and its a good opportunity for the mid-echelons to be involved in grand strategy and central logistics in a less urgent reserves type setting.

Tl,dr: it's the national guard, not a new civilian agency with guns

((You mean dissole the SNM, the SNP fell apart a while ago))

((Perception is also key, you see the SNM as the brownshirts. It sees itself as a national gaurd for the south. Besides, wouldt we be "Grayshirts" anyway (The SNM uniform is gray with gold accents for officers))

Thank you for explaining it so well, Mr. Brass. In that case, should you win the presidency, I shall accept the position and rank of brevet brigadier general in the National Militia if it is offered to me by Congress. As long as I can continue serving my nation from the front and not a desk in Washington, I am a happy man!

Colonel Mandrake

((You mean dissole the SNM, the SNP fell apart a while ago))

((Perception is also key, you see the SNM as the brownshirts. It sees itself as a national gaurd for the south. Besides, wouldt we be "Grayshirts" anyway (The SNM uniform is gray with gold accents for officers))

((Do not forget, that the SNM is not a political military auxiliary. It was formed before the creation of the SNP, and so had/has no political backing))

((Do not forget, that the SNM is not a political military auxiliary. It was formed before the creation of the SNP, and so had/has no political backing))

((And has survived after the SNP's downfall))

((And has survived after the SNP's downfall))

((Yes, so it is safe to say that the SNM is far from being tool for political means. I myself do not see why the SNM is so hard for many Congressmen to accept. If the North wanted their own Northern National Militia, nothing is stopping them from forming it. It makes so much more sense for regional militias, rather than naional ones. A Southerner would be much more comfortable working with a Southern Militia member, than from say Maine or California, and vise versa for every other region. A National Militia may bring about more tension and harm than it seeks to prevent and do away))

Edit: ((not sure if that above should be in (()) or not :/ ))

((The doesn't sound very plausible to me. Why would a Marylander have anything in common with a Texan that they wouldn't have in common with an Ohioan or a New Yorker? The whole notion of drawing lines on the map and imagining that they hold special importance is quite silly.))

((The doesn't sound very plausible to me. Why would a Marylander have anything in common with a Texan that they wouldn't have in common with an Ohioan or a New Yorker? The whole notion of drawing lines on the map and imagining that they hold special importance is quite silly.))

((In terms of education, income level, and view on the slavery issue, they would differ quite greatly. Tensions might arrise over a militia division from New York being stationed in say Atlanta, where the local population might resent the militia men for what they stand for: abolition. And the militia men might resent the locals for their use of slavery. And dont even get started with accent differences and one not being able to understand the other))

((Yes, so it is safe to say that the SNM is far from being tool for political means. I myself do not see why the SNM is so hard for many Congressmen to accept. If the North wanted their own Northern National Militia, nothing is stopping them from forming it. It makes so much more sense for regional militias, rather than naional ones. A Southerner would be much more comfortable working with a Southern Militia member, than from say Maine or California, and vise versa for every other region. A National Militia may bring about more tension and harm than it seeks to prevent and do away))

Edit: ((not sure if that above should be in (()) or not :/ ))

Perhaps once in office Mr. Brass will come to realize this. After all, the SNM does provide valuble law enforcement and defensive service and is quite well engrained into southern society as a whole. In addition, our uniforms are rather nice and attractive. Perhaps we should send him one? :D

Perhaps once in office Mr. Brass will come to realize this. After all, the SNM does provide valuble law enforcement and defensive service and is quite well engrained into southern society as a whole. In addition, our uniforms are rather nice and attractive. Perhaps we should send him one? :D

Sounds like a splendid idea to me. I was issued one when I was still its Inspector General, and I still wear it from time to time. :D It helps with this southern heat if I may be so bold as to say.

Sounds like a splendid idea to me. I was issued one when I was still its Inspector General, and I still wear it from time to time. :D It helps with this southern heat if I may be so bold as to say.

You still retain the rank and would be welcomed back if you so wish or a crises arises. Maybe we give him the hat to keep the SNM, The Coat for stopping the freedom act, and so on.

You still retain the rank and would be welcomed back if you so wish or a crises arises. Maybe we give him the hat to keep the SNM, The Coat for stopping the freedom act, and so on.

Maybe if a crisis were to arise, but for now I am enjoying my life as a civilian, to a certain extent. But I do not think bribing Mr. Brass would make us any new friends. Maybe if we made everyone honorary members of the SNM...

((In terms of education, income level, and view on the slavery issue, they would differ quite greatly. Tensions might arrise over a militia division from New York being stationed in say Atlanta, where the local population might resent the militia men for what they stand for: abolition. And the militia men might resent the locals for their use of slavery. And dont even get started with accent differences and one not being able to understand the other))

((Why would a militia be stationed somewhere? And do you seriously think that accents are the same in every state? The whole notion that any large region of the US is homogeneous is silly to someone who travels at all. Hell, even traveling from one end of Maryland to the other can give you severe culture shock.))

((Why would a militia be stationed somewhere? And do you seriously think that accents are the same in every state? The whole notion that any large region of the US is homogeneous is silly to someone who travels at all. Hell, even traveling from one end of Maryland to the other can give you severe culture shock.))

((Why would they not? The point of a militia is to protect strategic positions in time of war, as well as policing their respected regions in times of peace. As I have served throughout the nation, I have found that each state can have different accents within itself, but they still come to only differ in certain pronunciations. In Ohio, for example, we have our Northern Yankee accents, and our Southern Dixie accents, though both have a common ground for many things. I can understand the difference being greater in the smaller more populous eastern states, where they receive more immigrants from Europe, bringing with them new languages and words to our growing national language, but not every state is fortunate enough to receive foreign immigration, and inner nation immigration is sometimes not enough to expose regions to new accents an cultures))

Maybe if a crisis were to arise, but for now I am enjoying my life as a civilian, to a certain extent. But I do not think bribing Mr. Brass would make us any new friends. Maybe if we made everyone honorary members of the SNM...

I didn't mean to bribe him. I was joking, but the hats are very nice. Unfortunautly that would be illegal by the Militia acts, which state no militia may be active in more than 13 states.

Ah, I forgot about the 13 state limit. Back to planning how to keep the SNM then.

Actually that raises a interesting question then. Mr. Brass national militia would then be illegal under the militia act so his 'National Militia' would require the repeal of the Militia act. In addition, I question where in the constitution the president is given the power to forcibly disband militias.

Actually that raises a interesting question then. Mr. Brass national militia would then be illegal under the militia act so his 'National Militia' would require the repeal of the Militia act. In addition, I question where in the constitution the president is given the power to forcibly disband militias.

Haha, the law is against these so called "Republicans" on this issue. How would you bring about your proposed disbanding of the SNM then Mr. Brass, with the Militia Acts still in place?