• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A brief literary interlude (#3)

... of particular interest being so-called "Honor Songs," which arose out of the martial tradition of The Knights, and often accompanied drinking, marching, and/or fighting, and which spread into Maltese popular culture of the time. However, unlike more traditional songs associated with military culture, "Honor Songs" explicitly exalted the bravery and virtue of their defeated opponents, rather than the Knights themselves. The most influential interpretation of this practice comes from John de Vasconcellos' magnum opus, Warriors of Christ, in which he argues that many of the most famous and unique Maltese traditions arose from the infusion of chivalric tradition into the religious bureaucracy of the Order (the "warrior-monks" theory). De Vasconcellos argues that religious restrictions (i.e. the Christian emphasis on humility, also strongly associated with the monastic tradition) directly conflicted with the need of the standing army to promote unit morale by emphasizing their virtue.

This conflict between practicality and ideology was ultimately sidestepped in the "Honor Songs." By praising the martial virtues of defeated opponents, they implied the conclusion that, although their foes were brave and noble, the Knights were even more so for having defeated them. While there are many recorded instances of more traditional military anthems, "Honor Songs" made up many of the most widely known and sung, as they were both militarily and religiously acceptable; famous examples include "The Walls of Rome," "Bloody Fields," "My Heart Bleeds in Denizli," and "The Siege of Mugla."

The Siege of Mugla
Trans. Tomas de la Rivère

(Verse)*
From the rocky coast we came along the windswept plain,
Barren were the fields, and the Romans had fled,
But the men of Mugla stood upon the ramparts of their city
Stalwart men, loyal to the last.

(Chorus)
Rise up the [fortified] walls,
Dig deep the [sapper] tunnels,
Bring forth the great ladders,
Make ready the siege engines!

(Verse)
The messenger went forth: "Yield, proud warriors!
For it is loath to God that Christians
Should spill each others' blood." But the men of Mugla turned him back;
Saying only, "We will never give up our homes and our honor."

(Chorus)
Rise up the fortified walls,
Dig deep the [sapper] tunnels

(Verse)
With sword and shaft and fist and Alexander's fire**,
They fought like whirling dervishes, like men possessed
They gave their lives to protect the walls of humble Mugla
As though it were the city of the world's desire.

(Chorus)
Rise up the fortified walls,
Dig deep the [sapper] tunnels

(Verse)
The men of Mugla held their steadfast vigil
For one thousand days and a day,
Until the last scrap of food and drop of water had vanished,
And even then they did not falter.
They walked the ramparts until they could no longer walk.
They died at their posts, as all men should!

We honor them!***

[*Trans. note: up to seven additional verses have been identified in the canon; however, only these four have been found in multiple reliable sources, and they seem to constitute the "core" song that was the most widely popularized]
[**i.e. Greek fire]
[***This portion of the song was spoken or shouted, rather than sung, and is the traditional conclusion of songs in this genre.]

Very nicely written song. I always enjoy it when writers do something different from the normal. Congrats! :)

brilliant

oh geez. I love the allohistorical cultural insights.

Another couple of excellent updates! Really enjoying this AAR!

Too bad that they changed the religion on the Knights in D&T 8.1!!!