• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I liked the dialogue between Zeyd and Ishaq, I thought you did a good job adding plausibility to what was very likely an inscrutable move by the AI (that is, marching an 8,000 man army through Egypt and Libya rather than sailing them there).

The disappearance of the Tunisian army would certainly give me pause; is it an opponent's foolishness or some sort of trap?

When Crusader Kings AI meets story-telling... :D Nice chapter.

As others already mentioned, Tunisians certainly have chosen interesting strategy.

And young Athanasios seems promising, one day he will be a fine tyrant.

I apologize everyone, but I've been really busy lately, and I will be for the duration of April. I will try to get in some more updates when I can, but they will probably be sporadic. I'm rather swamped with real life at the moment. So no guarantees. But come May I should be back to a more regular schedule.

At the very least though, for right now, I can respond to your comments. :)

canonized said:
Great update :D It seems that things aren't going according to 'plan' per se , but it leads for some interesting dramatic vacuums that are filled by the insecurities and motives of each character !
Thankyou, canonized. That is very true: nothing is really going to go according to plan for anyone during this war. But I can say this, the events that happen now and in the next few updates will determine the fates of a number of key players...

RGB said:
Someone's up to something!

Tell me more!
Next time I get a chance to write an update, I will be able to tell you a lot more...

Snugglie said:
When Crusader Kings AI meets story-telling... :D Nice chapter.
Thankyou, Snugglie. That AI can do crazy things if you let it...

Olaus Petrus said:
As others already mentioned, Tunisians certainly have chosen interesting strategy.

And young Athanasios seems promising, one day he will be a fine tyrant.
Don't you just love the mind of Ibrahim al-Ibrahim? His schemes are "brilliant", but his execution of them leaves a lot to be desired, eh?

And yes, that is definitely the road Athanasios seems to be taking right now...

General_BT said:
Gotta love CK AI...
It can do some very quirky things. But that's why I love it. :)

Well, I've got some unexpected free time today, so here's an update for you. :cool:

TheMorea.jpg

King Georgios III stepped off of the plank and onto the ground. He looked around at the land of the ancient Carthaginians. Now it was ruled by an oversized Sheikdom. What a shame.

His son, Crown Prince Athanasios was soon at his right hand. Athanasios smiled, "One day, this will all be ours."

Georgios shot an angry look at his son, "Athanasios! They are letting us march through their lands, as you suggested. Do not treat this lightly. I may have no respect for this oversized Sheikdom, but I will not have talk about conquering them after they have granted us military access."

Athanasios nodded, "You are right, father. I apologize." But after Georgios had looked away, Athanasios rolled his eyes. How could his father understand anything? Georgios built his "empire" in small steps. Athanasios would build a much larger and far greater empire. Back when King Georgios II had been King, they had called him "Neo Alexandros". Pah! No Georgios yet had been anything close to an Alexandros. Of all the Kings of the past, only the Crown Prince's namesake, Athanasios I, had been a truly mighty conqueror. Athanasios I had known how to crush his enemies, and deal with them properly. Did he not personally slay the King of the Cumans? Athanasios I had been called "Cruel" for the way he treated those he defeated. "Cruel" was a term only used by bleeding hearts. No real man used such a term. What those bleeding hearts would call "Cruel", the Crown Prince knew to be true strength. He would outshine everyone else. He would outshine even Megas Alexandros himself! Even Caesar! No man would ever be compared to Athanasios II!

Ibrahim al-Ibrahim was reclining on his couch in his palace in Medjerda. This was the life. The young king was his puppet. Ibrahim ruled Tunisia. Everything was going according to plan. He had left Zeyd stranded in Acre. How the kalb had even made it that far, Ibrahim did not know. He did not care. The Seljuk Sultan would kill Zeyd. Or, failing that, Zeyd would find some other way to get killed. Everything was perfect...

"Sire!" shouted a scout as he burst into Ibrahim's quarters.

Ibrahim shot up from his couch and said, "This had better be of the utmost importance! Otherwise I will have you flogged for disturbing me like this!"

The scout bowed and said, "I apologize for the disturbance, but I bring you terrible news! The army of King Georgios III has been spotted! They have landed in the Sheikdom of Mahdia and are even now marching upon us! If they maintain this pace and direction, they will be here in Medjerda in only a week!"

Ibrahim's eyes widened in shock and horror, "How many men does he have with him?"

"Four thousand, my lord!"

The scout recoiled as his face was stuck by Ibrahim's fist. The "ruler" of Tunisia shouted at him, "How dare you!? You burst into my room, raise an alarm, and all over 4,000 men? You imbicile! General Abdul-Rahman is two days from here with 3,000 men of his own! Added to that our garrison of 2,000! We will outnumber that blasted Kafir! Behind these walls we will outlast him or break him!"

It was New Years day of 1194. The siege had begun. General Abdul-Rahman looked out over the battlements at the 4,000 men surrounding the city. He could have crushed them on the field of battle. With 5,000 men victory would have been his. Ibrahim was a fool to let them besiege Medjerda. It mattered not. The granaries in Medjerda were many. The defenders would outlast the Moreans. Georgios would be forced to either leave, or assault the city. If he chose to assault, Abdul-Rahman was ready. He and his men would destroy the Moreans and send them running home like children!

"What are you thinking about, General?"

Abdul-Rahman jumped at the voice. He had been so deep in thought that the sudden voice had startled him. He looked to his left, to the source of the voice, and saw his lieutenant and friend, Khazim. "Oh, Khazim. It's you."

"Did I startle you, General? I am sorry," said Khazim.

"It is alright, sadeek. What did you want to ask me?"

Khazim repeated his initial question.

Abdul-Rahman sighed, "I was thinking of just how stupid our 'regent' is. We could have crushed that Morean kalb if only we had been allowed to fight him. Instead, Ibrahim al-Ibrahim chooses to hide behind these walls."

Khazim nodded, "I wish Zeyd was here. I wonder why the fleet has not left to bring him from Acre?"

Abdul-Rahman shook his head, "I do not know. Never in my thirty-nine years of life have I seen such mismanagement. I cannot wait until King Akbar is old enough to make decisions for himself, instead this bastard Ibrahim."

Khazim put his hand on his friends' shoulder, "We will survive this. And more. We will win this war, and take back all of Sicily."

The General smiled weakly, "I wish I could believe you. Perhaps if we were fighting only the Morea. But we are still at war with Toledo and Cyrenaica. We have been fighting for over a decade. Our manpower is severely depleted. We will be lucky if our Kingdom survives another five years."

"You're not giving up hope, are you, sadeek?" asked Khazim.

"No," said Abdul-Rahman, "I will fight until my death to defend this Kingdom. I simply think that our future is not bright. But so long as there is breath in my body, I will not let this Kingdom fall."

Khazim looked out at the besieging army, "Neither will I..."

Last edited:
It's interesting the way the next generation already views their parents . Also so much mismanagement and inefficiency indeed , but I think that you've set up an amazing dramatic irony here almost to the point of a comedy of coincidence . Well done !

canonized said:
It's interesting the way the next generation already views their parents . Also so much mismanagement and inefficiency indeed , but I think that you've set up an amazing dramatic irony here almost to the point of a comedy of coincidence . Well done !
Thankyou for the high praise, canonized. I'd be interested in knowing specifically what you were referring to as the "amazing dramatic irony here almost to the point of a comedy of coincidence".

crusaderknight said:
Thankyou for the high praise, canonized. I'd be interested in knowing specifically what you were referring to as the "amazing dramatic irony here almost to the point of a comedy of coincidence".

When circumstances are such that everything seems to be going to plan but something has actually changed that would bring all the characters together unexpectedly . The kind of irony that the audience is just like "i can't wait to see the look on their faces when ... !" XD

It seems to be a general rule for history that the worse the crisis, the worse rulers are to come. Ibrahim's spawn, p'haps?

True. Khazim and Abdul-Rahman will have their work cut out for them. 4,000 Moreans are the same as 12,000 troops from other Kingdoms, it seems!

I've got a whole evening free! Yippee! So how do I choose to spend it? Here, writing the next update for you all! :cool:

But first, let me reply to your comments. :)

canonized said:
When circumstances are such that everything seems to be going to plan but something has actually changed that would bring all the characters together unexpectedly . The kind of irony that the audience is just like "i can't wait to see the look on their faces when ... !" XD
Ah! Well, there just might be a bit more of that to come...

Snugglie said:
It seems to be a general rule for history that the worse the crisis, the worse rulers are to come. Ibrahim's spawn, p'haps?
Ibrahim's spawn, eh? Close, but not quite. What's the one thing worse than Ibrahim's spawn ruling Tunisia...?

General_BT said:
True. Khazim and Abdul-Rahman will have their work cut out for them. 4,000 Moreans are the same as 12,000 troops from other Kingdoms, it seems!
Quite true. But this battle will have a very interesting outcome, I promise you that.

TheMorea.jpg

Nikephoros Dekanos looked around, but could see nothing. Nothing at all. He was surrounded by infinite white light. Up, down, left, right, every where he looked, there was a bright white light. "Where am I?" he called out, doubting that anyone could hear him.

Suddenly, St. Alexios appeared as if from no where. The Saint stepped closer towards Nikephoros, and put his hand on the Supreme Commander's shoulder, "Nikephoros, do you remember the promise I made to you?"

Nikephoros nodded, "I do. You promised me that I would have one final day of glory before my hardships arrived."

St. Alexios smiled, "Well, my son, that day is today. When you awake, the army will be preparing for the assault of Medjerda. When your turn to fight comes, be wary, at first. Wait for my sign. When you see my sign, everything will be well. At that time, fight as though you were the only Morean soldier in the battle. Do not hesistate. Do not fear. For I shall be fighting along side you. No Tunisian blade will touch you. By God's Grace, you shall single-handedly win this battle for the Morea."

"What will your sign be?" asked the Supreme Commander.

"You will know it when you see it," was the reply.

Nikephoros bowed and said, "Thankyou, father." Though St. Alexios was not his father, but indeed, his Great-Great-Grandfather, and though he had only seen Alexios in visions, the Saint had been more of a father to him than anyone else in his life.

St. Alexios commanded Nikephoros to rise and said, "Do not thank me. For it is God Who will deliver them into your hands. I am merely the tool He shall use to grant you this victory."

Nikephoros opened his mouth to speak, but before he could, St. Alexios said, "There is no more time for talk. You must awake. It is time for the battle."

Nikephoros awoke suddenly. He looked to the entrance of his tent, and saw a young soldier's head poking in. "You are up at last, sir! I have been calling you for a good few minutes now."

"Are we preparing for the assault?" asked the Supreme Commander.

"Yes, sir," said the soldier. "Begging your pardon, sir, but how did you know we were assaulting the walls today? The orders were only given thirty minutes ago."

"That does not matter," said Nikephoros. "Now leave me, so that I may prepare."

"Yes, sir. King Georgios requests your presence once you are dressed."

Nikephoros nodded, "Tell him I will join him in a few minutes."

"At once, sir!"

Nikephoros entered the Command tent in his full armour. His chainmail coat protected his torso and upper arms. His red cape rested gently along his back. A skirt of chain mail also protected him from the waist down to just above his knees. Greaves protected his shins. His helmet, which was fashioned after the helmets of the Argyraspides, the ancient elite guard of the Seleukid Empire, he held in his left hand. At his side was the Sword of St. Alexios, resting in its sheath. All he lacked was a shield, which he would pick up after his meeting with the King.

As he entered, he noted the others present in the room. King Georgios was there, obviously. The King was also in a full set of armour. However, the King's torso was protected by a breatplate of the finest polished iron. His arms were covered up to his hands by long sleeves of chainmail. Studded Leather covered his legs down to his feet. Over the leather, he wore greaves on his shins, identical to Nikephoros' own. The King had no helmet. Georgios had chosen instead to wear the Golden Circlet which had belonged to his father, Prince Draganos, since the coronation of Petros I thirty years ago. At the King's side was the Sword of Georgios the Pious.

Across the table from the King was Crown Prince Athanasios. The Crown Prince was armoured entirely the same as his father. However, instead of the thicker circlet his father wore, Athanasios wore a thin Golden Band.

Arsenios Karamallos was there, as well. He wore chainmail body armour and a chainmail skirt, as Nikephoros did, but that was where the similarities ended. Protecting his legs was Studded Leather like the King's, but there were no greaves to reinforce the leather. Karamallos wore no protection on his arms. The old veteran never had.

King Georgios looked up at the Supreme Commander and said, "Nikephoros! Welcome!"

Nikephoros returned the King's greeting and took his place at the table.

The King then looked at his three companions and said, "The situation is dire, gentlemen. We are running low on supplies. We must either abandon Medjerda, and leave our flanks open to an attack by the Tunisian army, which outnumbers us already, or we can assault the city. Without numerical superiority, an assault will be just as dangerous as exposing our arses. I have decided that if we must face them, I would rather we do it as men, face-to-face, rather than as cowards, with our backs turned. Remember the old Spartan saying, 'Come home either with your shield or upon it' and also 'Bear your scars proudly on your chest, rather than shamefully on your back'. Those men are our ancestors. Let us live by the same courage they did!"

All three men concurred.

Georgios nodded to them, "Good. I am glad we all agree. We don't have time for any sort of delay. We have two siege towers ready. Karamallos, I want you to command 1,000 men and take them to the tower on the left of the gate. Nikephoros, you will command 1,000 men and take them to the tower on the right side. In total this means that you two will be leading 2,000 men against 5,000 defenders. We cannot risk more lives assaulting the walls. I want you to focus all your efforts on the gatehouse. Take it, and open the gates, and Athanasios and I will storm the city with the remaining 2,000 men. There is no other way we can assault so many without greater numbers. Does everyone understand the plan?"

They all nodded.

The King returned the nod, "Then to your stations, Strategoi! And may God be with us all!"

Last edited:
Hmm . An ensured glory yes , but afterwards the trouble will begin . I would not be looking forward to it .

Ah, the tension is growing. The moment of glory, before the hardships, is coming for Nikephoros and young Athanasios also wants his share of glory. I wonder will there be enough glory for both men or does it create even more tension between them.

I'm dying to see what's coming next, this whole St. Alexios doing prophecies is very intriguing.

Just reading through these last most recent updates, the thought has occurred to me that Athanasios may find himself playing the role of Konstantinos the mad before this is all over. As Chief Ragusa said an update or so ago, he has no notion of how to build a nation. But it is eminently within his capabilities to bring one down.

canonized said:
Hmm . An ensured glory yes , but afterwards the trouble will begin . I would not be looking forward to it .
Nor would I. Nikephoros has a lot of suffering to go through in the future. But don't think that the bad guys get off with a slap on the wrist or something. There will be some big things happening soon to Nikephoros' enemies. Big, life changing things...

Olaus Petrus said:
Ah, the tension is growing. The moment of glory, before the hardships, is coming for Nikephoros and young Athanasios also wants his share of glory. I wonder will there be enough glory for both men or does it create even more tension between them.
You will have to see how that is answered in the next few posts.

Snugglie said:
I'm dying to see what's coming next, this whole St. Alexios doing prophecies is very intriguing.
Sorry to have kept you waiting for so long, Snugglie. But I'm glad you like the visions of St. Alexios. I work very hard on them. :D

stnylan said:
Just reading through these last most recent updates, the thought has occurred to me that Athanasios may find himself playing the role of Konstantinos the mad before this is all over. As Chief Ragusa said an update or so ago, he has no notion of how to build a nation. But it is eminently within his capabilities to bring one down.
I cannot say much on this topic without spoiling crucial parts of the story to come, but I can say this... the damage done by Konstantinos II will be as nothing compared to Athanasios...

Chief Ragusa said:
Something tells me King Georgios III is not going to long survive this battle. The wounds he suffers will be fatal. His son will see to that.
You will have to wait and see if that does indeed happen...

TheMorea.jpg

As the Strategoi left the command tent, their squires were waiting outside with their shields. After taking his into his hand, Nikephoros looked to Crown Prince Athanasios and said, "God protect you, my Prince."

Athanasios nodded and left to join his men. As he walked, he thought to himself how arrogant Nikephoros was. As if Athanasios needed God's protection! Pah! He was a mighty warrior. His sword and his shield were all that he needed. No blade would harm him. God indeed.

Athanasios had not always been so hateful towards God. Once, when he was a boy, he had a great piety. But exposure to the harsh realities of the world had changed that. He knew now in his heart that there was no God, or at the very least, that God didn't care at all about Mankind.

When he reached his men, he drew his sword, and raised it on high. He then shouted at the top of his lungs, "Men! Today will be our day of glory! Once the first wave has taken the gatehouse, we will pour into the city! Kill anyone who takes up arms against you! Medjerda will be ours before nightfall! We will show the world our power!"

2,000 men raised their voices in triumphant cheer as they banged their swords and spears against their shields, creating a noise that echoed up to the walls of the city, and onwards up to the heavens. Athanasios smiled to himself. If there was a God up there, perhaps He would hear these men, and for once pay attention to the affairs of earth, and see how men can fare without Him.

Nikephoros and Arsenios embraced in true friendship. When the embrace had ended, Arsenios Karamallos said, "You have truly grown into a man, Nikephoros. I hate to admit it, but you have impressed me. You've come a long way since that first day when you came to me so insolent and brash. Back then I was so sure you'd never amount to anything. But now, you've made me proud. I never got married, never had kids. Didn't seem like my kind of thing. But if ever I were to have had a son, he would never have been so good as you. You are the son I never had, and if I die today, I die happy."

Nikephoros smiled at him and said, "You won't die today, old man. I give you my word."

Arsenios laughed, "How many men in their sixties enter battles and live to tell about them?"

"King Leonidas was sixty when he fought at Thermopylae," was the reply.

More laughter from the old man, "But Leonidas died at Thermoyplae, boy. Don't you remember your history?"

"You are right, Arsenios, but you are also ten times the warrior Leonidas was."

"We'll see boy."

Nikephoros waved to his friend and left to join his men. As he left, he called back, "God protect you, Arsenios!"

He heard the old man reply, "And you!"

When he reached his men, he sized up his position. 1,000 men, and one tower. With that, he had to defeat 2,000 men on the walls, and take the gatehouse. Arsenios would face the same situation on the other flank. Things did not look favourable. He looked up to heaven and said, "O LORD, God of battles, God of all things, protect me and my men. Do not forget the promise You made to me through Your servant, my ancestor, St. Alexios. Grant me this day of glory. And above all, grant this, Thy kingdom, victory."

Abdul-Rahman gripped the stone of the battlements and peered out at the army that was beginning its attack. 2,000 or so were attacking the walls, half of the enemy's strength. The rest were waiting as reserves. As he watched the siege towers come ever closer to his walls, he waited until the soldiers were within range. Once they were, he gave the order, "Archers! Loose!"

The archers fired a volley. Over a thousand arrows flew through the sky and then dipped towards the Morean army. He could hear the order to raise shields be given. Some of the Moreans were too late, and he saw them fall to the arrows. But most survived the volley.

"Reload!" shouted Khazim. But as the archers pulled the next arrow from their quivers, they saw a slit open up near the top of the closest siege tower. Before they could realise what it was, a dozen bolts flew through the air at an unbelievable velocity. The bolts slammed into some of the archers and sent them flying a short distance because of the force of the blow. Within seconds another volley of a dozen bolts flew into the Tunisians and sent another dozen men to their deaths.

Abdul-Rahman and Khazim called for their men to raise shields and for the archers to flee into the towers. What kind of devil weapons did the Kafir have in his employ now?

After a minute of silence, the bolts were heard again. The Tunisians were ready this time. But the bolts penetrated their shields and sent even the strong heavy infantry to the floor, screaming in pain. Within seconds another volley struck. Curses! What could the Tunisians do but sit here and wait until the towers reached the walls?

Abdul-Rahman began to doubt that his men would be able to hold the walls. What other sorts of devilry did the Moreans have? He looked to Khazim and said, "Prepare the King for evacuation. We will take him through the secret tunnels. Come and get me as soon as he is ready. Until then I will try to hold the walls. If these become too desperate, forget me and get the King out of here!"

Khazim nodded and said, "As you command. May Allah defend you, Abdul-Rahman."

Abdul-Rahman nodded back, "And may he defend you, Khazim."

Last edited: