• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Ariel
Well I'll de damned. There I am sitting there on Sunday morning thinking "I'll just have a go as Portugal, see if I can take Andalusia off the Spanish and block their expansion overseas, might make a good AAR
What!?! You're not typing up your long-awaited next chapter of the And now for something completely different English AAR?!?

Your legions of fans await your arrival ;)

Cheers!

Bah, look who's back! Famous people do me honor by reading my AAR :)

Cornelius,
the best way to keep Spanish conquistadors from marching in your territory is... I don't know :) I guess I was lucky, since they only seized three of my trading posts and two of them I got back during the war. And now I don't have to worry about it. Three words: Council of Trent.

Ariel,
don't you have enough glory, mate? :)

Jon Young, Incas fought pretty good. As I said, they defeated several of my armies with more casualties than Spanish had managed to inflict during the last wars altogether. It wasn't an easy victory, but once their armies got routed it was an walk-over.

King of Nines,
well, I do get only 2 colonists now (versus 3 before), but I hope turning Counter-R. will help a bit :)
As for annexing Spain: no idea, I just have to see. Too much hussle and not as much fun. I do hope to weaken them to a point where new countries may appear, but that would be it...Again, it's too early to tell. India and, maybe, Morocco, are my primary targets for now.

The Phony Wars

The conquest of Incas had severely damaged Portuguese reputation. Many countries began to view Portugal as an aggressor and an attacker of smaller countries. While major powers all wished to beat Portugal to the gold of Incas, on public they condemned the conquest. Portuguese King decided it was best to stop the conquests for a decade or two and instead focused on developing colonies in India and South America.

In January of 1550 his hopes of peace almost came to an end, when French declared war on English. Portugal had to support the aggression, but made peace with England as soon as possible. The war lasted another year; almost all operations were conducted in the southern France, Navarra and Savoy. Finally, French made peace with English, unable to score a major victory against them. English still paid 197,000 in war indemnities.

In the South America Portuguese armies began the campaign of extermination against natives who did not submit to Portuguese rule. In order to secure trade posts, the whole tribes were wiped out to the last men. By 1560 there were no independent Indians in the continent.

In December of 1552 Portuguese reached High Baroque level in infrastructure, which enabled them to promote governors to mayors. Inflation at this point ran at 15% and these promotions were able to bring it down to zero. Simultaneously, a major fortification effort was started in Southern America and in other parts of Portuguese empire.

In November of 1553 the former English alliance members turned against each other over Baltic trade privileges. On one side were England, Poland and Hanover; on the other – Hansa, Pommerania and Teutonic Order.

In the same month Suleyman again led his armies against the forces of Christendom, inflicting a severe defeat on Austrian armies at Vienna and forcing the surrender of Carnolia and Styria. In addition, Austria had to pay 250,000 in war indemnities. A year later the Sultan negotiated peace with Venetians, forcing them to cede Mantua.

The Emperor was not able to survive a blow like this and died from a heart attack. His Spanish possessions went to Phillip II, while the crown of Holy Roman Empire to Ferdinand I, who also got Austria and other Habsburg lands in Germany and Hungary.

Meanwhile, the Portuguese continued to work on improving economy, building naval equipments manufactory in Lima and Fine Arts Academy in Lisbon. In South America bailiffs were promoted in former Inca provinces.

In 1557 the whole country grieved as Portuguese beloved monarch Juan III died of the old age. While he was nothing like his father, Manuel "The Fortunate", he did a lot for his country. As his grandson, Sebastian, was still too young to rule, Catharina, his wife and sister to Carlos I of Spain, stepped on the throne and, as women often do, brought a period of instability (stability drop – 3) to the country.

Cuzco revolted and it became clear than promoting bailiffs in pagan provinces was a mistake. The Queen ordered the conversion of pagan Indians and it was carried out with unusual efficiency. The problem remained in the provinces where population exceeded 5,000, but an increase in stability provided a temporary solution.

In October of 1558 Navarra declared war on Spain. As expected, all members of two alliances honored their obligations. French, however, found it convenient to bail out of the war a month later.

Fifth Portuguese-Spanish War 1558-59

As in the last war, Spanish brought an overwhelming army to Andalusia and took Cadiz by assault. In turn, Portuguese conquered Austurias and Euskadia. In Americas Portuguese burned Spanish trading post in Mexico and attacked Spanish colonies on the island of Cuba. In the same it was noticed that Spanish were already in war with Aztecs. Fortunately, the latter defeated Spanish incursions to their territory and, in turn, burned Spanish trading posts along their northern border.

A year later Navarra fell to Spanish armies and was forced to cede Rousillion. The war was over without too much loss for Portuguese, but the Queen felt it was Portugal’s fault that Navarra lost a province. After all, it was possible to keep Spanish armies occupied in the south. Still, Spanish were out of southern Mexico, and if there was a victor between Spanish and Portuguese, it was the latter.

In India Portuguese were successful at bringing colonies at two provinces up to the status of full-grown cities. In 1560 Mem DaSa, a conqueror of Incas, died of an old age, having explored the Western shore of the Indian subcontinent up to the borders of Persia.

In March of 1561 Dutch declared their independence. In a following war with Spain they lost Zeeland, but retained Flanders. Soon, a new trading center opened in Holland.

Portuguese built another naval equipments manufacture in Algarve. In January of 1642 a new regent – Henrique – stepped on the throne of Portugal. His first major decision had to do with religious matter. In 1564 the Council of Trent ignited a new spirit of crusade against heretic Protestants. The bishops and cardinals returned from the meeting with a new sense of Church unity, preaching a reformation of Catholic Church from within and a crusade against Protestant Reformation. Thus, Counter-Reformation began. The first country to convert was Portugal, which saw an opportunity to decrease diplomatic penalty in case of an attack on Spain and get more colonists. In the same time Portuguese military land technology began to improve, as the new King was desperately trying to bring the army up to the standards of Spanish war machine.

As the Catholic World was struggling with internal heresy, Islam was marching triumphantly under banners of Ottoman Turkey. Suleyman the Maginificent brought his armies to the gates of Germany and Italy and only time would show if he could be stopped at all. However, most of Catholics viewed his struggle with Habsburgs favorably, and Portuguese one of the few, who cheered at Turkish victories.

Screenshots:

EDIT: screenshot links removed - the website no longer exists

Last edited:
Nicely done nalivayko! Do you have a priority as to the next part of the world you plan to take over or will you react to opportunities as they come along?

Joe

Thanks, Storey. My priorities are always shifting, but India will be number one always, with Iberia next and then, maybe, Indonesia. The latter only as a base for an attack on China or Japan.

well, I do get only 2 colonists now (versus 3 before), but I hope turning Counter-R. will help a bit
As for annexing Spain: no idea, I just have to see. Too much hussle and not as much fun. I do hope to weaken them to a point where new countries may appear, but that would be it...Again, it's too early to tell. India and, maybe, Morocco, are my primary targets for now.

CR-catholic will give you an extra colonist, so that'll give you 3/year, which should let you keep up with england. i think their colonial dynamism gives them 3/year.

mexico is one of the countries that can appear in the latter half of the game. not sure what provinces they form from, though.

as for india, beware the mughals. in my game as portugal, i took their "exotic" tech levels too lightly, and when they declared war on me, i was not prepared. all my lovely indian cities went up in flames. might also want to watch out for china. they can build massive armies that will wade through undefended colonies.

i was tooling around with morocco the other day. lots of desert, not much income. one of the real-life portuguese kings put and army together to wage a "crusade" against morocco. his entire army starved to death in the desert.

Well, here is my plan how to fight Morocco... if I have to, of course. Declare war, wait till they get stuck at my small fortress at Tangiers, loosing men with each month. Then strike at capital (army around 30,000, lots of cannons), take city by assault (min. fortress) and proceed south. Before the Sultan manages to re-capture capital, the country's ours, plus additional troops. Of course, it drives your bad boy up and it is not worth it, but it will surely look good on map :)

The Minarets of Granada

It all started with the siege of Granada by Spanish in 1482. By 1500 Granada was Spanish. The conquest of Granada was crucial for Spanish morale. Without Granada, some say, there would be no Columbus. The latter followed in the footsteps of Bartholomew Diaz, and discovered Americas for Spain. Only that discovery enabled Spain to achieve their supremacy in Europe and to compete with Portuguese overseas. Following the conquest of Granada Isabella and Ferdinand allowed the Moors to stay in the country to keep their gold in economy. Of course, if it weren’t for the conquest of Andalusia by Portugal the Moors would be expelled. But the Portuguese King allowed his Muslim subjects to prosper and Spanish, although their heart was not into it, had to do the same, to keep up with their neighbors. Still the Muslims of Granada always wanted to join their brothers in Andalusia. They would prefer to be under Portuguese Kings, who assisted them in their war against Spanish seventy years ago, than under Spaniards, who dreamt of their expulsion from Iberian Peninsula. One day they would have their chance.

In January of 1563 Maximilian II of Austria became the Emperor. These news coupled with Spain’s decision to turn Counter-Reformist too. Combined with the news of the loss of Portuguese gold convoy, it so upset the regent that he had a heart attack and in 1568 a new monarch – Sebastian, grandson of Juan III, began to rule Portugal.

Counter-Reformation soon spread across Europe. Genoa, Papal States and Austria soon joined the movement. In December of 1569 an enthusiasm for the navy spread among the traders. 9 ships were donated to the state and converted to warships. A month later an alliance agreement with Rome had expired and Portugal took it upon herself to bring the old members back. Papal States, France, Savoy, Sicily and Genoa all agreed to come back. Navarra, being a vassal of France, lost it’s right to participate in external affairs.

In November of 1570 military land technology reached level 11th, which allowed Portuguese troops to explore the terra incognita on their own, without the help of conquistadors. Two years later Portuguese received a chance to use this advantage, as France had declared war on England.

Second Portuguese-English War 1572-73

After the start of hostilities between French and English alliances Portuguese called upon some 2,000 countrymen in Delaware – the descendants of the soldiers who stayed there after the first war with England and mixed with natives. All of them answered the call of there country and did a fine job of burning English trading posts in Northern America. In 1573 French landed in England and completely occupied southern part of the country, including London. English were forced to cede Kent and Wessex and pay 250,000 in war indemnities.

During the same year Spanish annexed Lorraine, Austria – Milan and Polish King inherited Hungary. Spanish allied themselves to Austria, Bavaria and Wurtemburg – a fatal decision, as it dragged them in war with Turks later on.

Wurtemburg annexed Thuringen, which had barely enough time to enjoy a brief period of independence from Austria, while Brandenburg was able to conquer Silesia from Habsburgs. The latter compensated the loss by peacefully annexing Baden.
In 1574 Sebastian decided to close Portuguese trading centers for Spanish. Spanish did not respond, being busy fighting Turkish alliance. As Spanish armies left Iberia, Sebastian thought it the best time to expand Portugal in the Peninsula.

In 1577 Portugal officially abandoned the cause of Counter-Reformation, looking for an excuse to attack Spanish later. As the rebellions in South America were put down, the declaration of war was sent to the court in Madrid.

Sixth Portuguese-Spanish War 1577-1579

Portuguese navy was he first to see the action. Trying to transport 6,000 soldiers to Cuba it met 2 pirate warships and after a short, but furious encounter sent them to the bottom of the sea. Spanish galleon off the Cuban shore did not favor better.

In Iberia 50,000-strong Portuguese army took Leon by assault and proceeded on Madrid. The King was finally able to find a half-decent man to lead the army. His name was Antonio Dom Crato (3/3/2). However, his skills weren’t enough to fight both the defenders and a relief force. The assault on Madrid failed and the siege was started. At the same time 14,000 Portuguese besieged Granada, whose inhabitants promised their aid to the Portuguese King if he liberated them from the Spanish yoke.

Four months after the start of the war Spanish were able to field 37,000 men, who brought Leon back to Spanish control. In the same time Madrid surrendered to Portuguese and Dom Crato marched on Murcia, his army greatly reduced by attrition. In Murcia he was routed by 5,000 determined Spaniards and retreated to Sierra Nevada to aid in the siege of Granada.

In Americas Portuguese took control of the fortress in Moron, but were unable to defeat Spanish army in Havana.

Meanwhile, Portuguese cavalry again worked miracles, pinning Spanish forces to Estramaduras and preventing them from besieging Andalusia. However, Spanish were more successful in taking back Madrid. They scored another major victory by ambushing Portuguese cavalry regiment led by King himself. Outnumbered 30 to 1 the King fought valiantly, but nevertheless lost the battle and his life. His uncle, Henrique Cardeal-Rei became a new King. Being somewhat of a monk, he had no children, which greatly troubled Portuguese nobility.

After two unsuccessful assaults Granada finally fell to Portuguese troops and the new King finally found himself in a position to negotiate. Spanish had to cede Sierra Nevada and Estramaduras, but kept a trading post in Havana. A few months later Habsburgs suffered yet another defeat, this time in the east, as Austria had to cede Tyrol and Serbia to the Turk.

After the war Portugal again declared to the world its loyalty to the ideas of Counter-Reformation. Looking back at the fighting in Iberia, one could see clearly that Portuguese regained their fighting spirit. The minarets of Granada joined the minarets of Cadiz under the rule of Portuguese Crown. And if the fall of the city to the Spanish signaled latter’s raise to power then its fall to the Portuguese marked the end of the Spanish supremacy in Iberia.

EDIT: screenshot links removed - the website no longer exists

Last edited:
Most impressed with the complete colonisation of South America but are the natives all cleansed or might they burn up some of your territories.

I'm playing my own Portugues game and I have to say that I've gone the more conventional route, except for establishing an initial, an ultimately dominating position in North America. The later route has changed a little with the extra lure of gold in Siberia. Now that I've fought in two world wars and am currently dealing with a third, I've actually come to the conclusion that leaving Andalusia with Spain is not always a bad thing. It leaves them with extra colonist which you can always pick off them once you gain a strong hand later. After a while, Portugal's colonial dynamism dies off so much that you need a few other colonial empires to create colonies for you to steal.

Well, South America is completely "cleansed", the only danger to it is foreign invasion, but I hope that my forces there are sufficient enough to keep enemy away (read: AI is too stupid to burn my tps in South America:) )

I also think England and France will create enough colonies of their own and Spain does a good job of colonizing Carribean and Mexico too. There are bunch of other countries to conquer: China, Japan, etc. Plenty of targets if I ever wish to expand more in the New World. Again, this is not conquer the world AAR - I pick one target at a time and I do wish to see what avertical expansion can do to a country.

BTW, isn't it too cold for Portuguese in Siberia ? :)

Indian presence

Nalivaiko,
From your screenshots I saw that you have established diplomatic relations with Indian countries, but at the same time you have plenty of undeveloped colonies that could be easily captured and TPs that could be easily burned down. Unless you have a considerable army to break the Indian resistance very quickly.

During my gameplay I have discovered that a better way is first to build up coastal cities, leaving the Indian Kingdoms uncovered so that they will not declare war on you when you are weak in that region. And attack them later when you are ready to face them.

morocco and india

Nalivaiko,

your plan for dealing with morocco sounds solid. as an added insurance policy, you might want to consider an alliance with algiers. bump your tolerance for muslims up and then curry favor with algiers, if they're not already in an alliance. then, antagonize morocco, get them to DOW you, then algiers and you can partition morocco.

as for india, bump up those fortresses, if you can afford it. the mughals in particular have some decent leaders and can field large armies. in my portugal game, i made the mistake of exchanging knowledge with dai viet, which gave me knowledge of the cot's in asia, but also alerted the indian kingdoms to my presence. a few years later, my indian empire was gone, courtesy of a mughal/hyderabad alliance. if you can, maybe consider an alliance with one of the smaller indian kingdoms. the mughals will inevitably DOW you, and with an ally in the area, you may not have to garrison a lot of troops halfway around the world.

once your colonial dynamism wears off, your best bet, like someone mentioned, is to steal colonies and tp's from spain and england. even though you're no longer CR catholic, you'll still get one colonist/year from the shipyard in tago. just consolidate your position and take advantage of any opportunities that arise. i made the mistake of trying to do too much too soon.

Could also go Reformed Protestant. The switch to Protestant will net you at least 3000D which should pay for the peace keeping. The Reformed gets you extra colonists and better morale plus better trade at the cost of lower taxes. That'll keep the colonists flowing. Costs a little on the diplomats side of things but then your bad boy is so high that you only need to DOW once for others to DOW you.

If you do the conversion, it's probably a good idea to send missionaries so that the stability costs go down. If you've only got the two existing religions it should be a problem. If you've got protestant regions then it will be a bit more of a problem.

As for being too cold in Siberia, how cold do you think it is up in Cuzco province? Oh no, my colonists go where they're told and, being the hardy bunch that they are, have no problem mining the gold in Siberia, tending sheep in the Sahara, gathering exotic spices in Indo-China or sugar in the tropical rain-forests. It's a great way to attract the younger soldiers with the promiseJoin the Portuguese Army and see the world

I would suggest another strategy to deal with Indian Empires. If you build TPs between them and your colonies, they'd turn in wonderful attrition buffer. Even if Mughals DoW you, they should cross several extremely bad provinces to reach your, preferably heavily fortified, colonial cities (and make sure to have cities). When, not if, they take your colonies, make amphibious landing and take some of them back, avoiding huge Mughals forces. The same time send some troops to their core provinces. It's better to use conquistador to avoid heavy losses, and 20K/6K/80 should be sufficient, unless you also want to take their capital, which is guarded by huge 70K good quality army, often with a good general. Lets attrition to work for you.

Hyderabad and Mysore are more likely to avoid DoWing you till 17th century, but could be headache if are in alliance with Mughals. Aforementioned taktics works for them as well.

I guess I was lucky in India...

The Mughals DOW'ed me when there was still a Portuguese buffer between my southern (English) states and my one northern colony in Madras. The entire Mughal army landed in Madras, took it, and then promptly stayed there for a year and a half, taking disastrous attrition (about 85% in total) before I finally let tham have the colony. Then when I was ready I went to war with Mysore and then Hyderabad and Mughals DOW'ed me, but they Mughal's hadn't rebuilt their army and so were, frankly, a bit of a pushover. Annexed all three in one fell swoop if I remember rightly.

But like I said, I was lucky...

Thank you all for your input, can't say how much I appreciate it.
I'll try to answer all the questions, but forgive me if I forget one or two.

Cornelius - I have four provinces with small sized fortifications, one colony and bunch of TPs, only one protected. Still, my TPS were there only to cover the territory from other Europeans - I don't care if they get burned, I plan to build cities there anyway. My army in India is 30,000+. If I can annex Mysore fast enough it will give me additional troops to finish the campaign against Hyderabad. Besides, i can always recruit more (10,000 at a time).

King Of Nines - Algiers is already in alliance with Turkey, and they would be my next target after Morocco anyway. As for India... well, I already received a DOW from Indian (yeap, all three of them) coalition. So, no ally for me there - we just have to see about so-called white man superiority then :)

Coeur de Lion - about Cuzco :) I didn't send any colonists there, I just conquered it. I like to take care of my people and reserve only warm climate provinces for them.

As for turning Protestant: it's all about your allies. I thought about three potential alliances: Spanish, French, English. First one is my sworn enemy, and English can't help me against Spanish too well. That leaves French, who are Catholic. So I'll stay Catholic too.

Dustman - I agree, tp's make for a wondefrul distraction. On the other hand, well-fortified cities can probably delay the Indian hordes until you can capture their cities.

Ariel - you were lucky indeed, I saw your sceenshots, pretty impressive. But remembers, luck is never enough, you are required to have strategic thinking to take advantage of it. So, congrat yourself anyway on a good victory.

I would suggest another strategy to deal with Indian Empires. If you build TPs between them and your colonies, they'd turn in wonderful attrition buffer. Even if Mughals DoW you, they should cross several extremely bad provinces to reach your, preferably heavily fortified, colonial cities (and make sure to have cities). When, not if, they take your colonies, make amphibious landing and take some of them back, avoiding huge Mughals forces. The same time send some troops to their core provinces. It's better to use conquistador to avoid heavy losses, and 20K/6K/80 should be sufficient, unless you also want to take their capital, which is guarded by huge 70K good quality army, often with a good general. Lets attrition to work for you.

i may have to try that next time i decide to go back to playing a colonial nation. i've having too much fun as scotland right now, trampling over english turf. :D

nalivayko -- what's your current land tech? i know the indian states are classified as exotic, so i don't think they can advance in levels. still didn't stop them from rolling my portuguese right back into the indian ocean. anyway, with better tech you should prevail. just don't fight the main armies, since they're generally upwards of 40k. as for morocco, well, you should do alright against them, as long as they're not allied with turkey. your previous strategy should work here. let them bang their heads against tangiers while you run wild through their back yard (well, back desert anyway).

ariel -- very impressive work in india.

If you can't build Large+ fortifications, forget about long resistance in India. Mughals usualy have 50K-60K+ troops armies, that have good generals. They simply assault your walls and you need to retake them back, that can be hard with high level forts. Main flaw of AI in India that it leaves huge armies in high attrition areas. Exploit this. It's much cheaper to rebuild a TP than to re-capture heavily fortified city. Of course it's only my opinion. BTW, Mysore is the easiest out of three to jump on.

Another tactic in India would be to ally with one of the other three. Mysore usually have useful forces that can keep the Mughals occupied. The Mughals often declare war anyway when you are at war and your BB is high enough. You could wait till muskets and then move in on Hyderabad that will give you a launch pad to Mughals. As everyone has said, avoid the main armies if you can. You can normally place a siege army in their key provinces and attrition shouldn't be too much of a problem if the forces are small enough. Then you can just sit and wait until their provinces fall.

Be warned that the Indian countries will quickly knock up at 10000K force when at war so you may find it tricky to avoid all battles. I did the whole thing a little piecemeal taking Hyderabad and one or two Mughal provinces each time they DOW'ed. In the last (current) war, Mysore dishonoured the alliance so I just sent in the troops and had their provinces captured before the Mughal's DOW'ed me for the final time.

As I think I might have said before, my preferred tactic was always to stay out of European alliances early in the game but I can't see you suffering too much for adopting the other approach.

btw. The Mughal general is always called Akbar. A real fighting dynasty this family were

the Indian countries will quickly knock up at 10000K force when at war
A ten billion strong army? Wow. Imagine the attrition... ;)