• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction

Killcrazy13

Second Lieutenant
22 Badges
Jan 3, 2023
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
As Alexander overthrew the old Persian empire and took control of its ancient areas, the dynasty of King Darius was married to the many generals and satraps serving Alexander to secure his new rule. One of his nieces, Amastris, ended up married to the Macedonian general Craterus. The marriage was shortlived as Craterus wanted an alliance with Antipater just a couple of years later, after the death of Alexander, and sent Amastris to the tyrant of Heraclea Pontica, Dionysus. After the old tyrant Dionysus passed on, Amastris has been left in charge of their two sons and the rulership of Heraclea Pontica, and become quite popular among the populace. Though some argued against Persian rulership at first, they are now quickly becoming used to the idea.

The once mighty house of the Achaemenids that once ruled the largest empire the world had ever seen, are now reduced to a rump state thousands of leagues from their homeland, surrounded by foreign powers.

Achaemenid Intro.png

This is the history of the Achaemenid revival after the Diadochi wars of the 3rd century BC. I'm using the following mods: Invictus, Timeline Extender, Crisis of the 3rd Century and a few other mods for personal taste. The intent is to lead into CK3 but I don't want to promise a mega-campaign just yet.

• 1Love
Reactions:
It's nice to see another Imperator AAR - especially one that also has plans to become a megacampaign!

Where does Amastris plan to expand to first?

Can we look forward to palace intrigue?

Very happy to see another Imperator AAR, and just before the cutoff for the Q1 2024 ACAs to boot!

The Reign of Amastris New
The Reign of Amastris I, from Hellenic backwater to Pontic trading power

Screenshot 2024-03-28 225158.png

Excerpts from the Life of Amastris, written by Euthykrates circa 40-30 BC

In the annals of time, amidst the thundering clash of empires and the tumult of warring dynasties, there arose a figure of unparalleled valor and strategic brilliance—Amastris [1], the radiant jewel of Heraclea, whose name resonates through the ages as a saga of triumph and conquest.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 172722.png

Map of Herakleia Pontike and its surrounds in the early years of Amastris' rule
Born of the illustrious lineage of Persian royalty, Amastris, known in the tongues of Greece as Amastrine, ascended to the throne as a beacon of strength and sovereignty. Her reign, cloaked in the mists of destiny, began amidst the tempestuous Fourth War of the Diadochi, where the echoes of Macedon's might reverberated against the Antigonid Kingdom's ramparts.

1711637602139.png

Didrachm of Amastris. Amastris was the first woman to issue coins in her own name. British Museum.

Yet, Amastris, with the wisdom of ages etched in her eyes, perceived the perilous currents swirling around her realm. The Thracian Mariandynian tribes, thirsting for spoils, cast their covetous gazes upon the opulent cities of the Greek Pontus. The looming shadows of the Diadochi, like titans locked in eternal struggle, threatened to engulf Heraclea in their inexorable march.

Within her own walls, Amastris faced a labyrinth of intrigues and ambitions. Her sons, Oxyathres and Klearchos, coveted the throne with a hunger born of ancestral pride. To appease their aspirations and forge alliances in the crucible of ambition, she orchestrated marriages that bound their destinies to ancient houses of power, weaving a tapestry of loyalty and kinship.

Alliance with Armenia.png
The alliance with the noble Armenian Orontids, steeped in the hallowed traditions of fealty to the Achaemenids, proved to be the cornerstone of Amastris's grand design. As the tempest of war raged on, she marshalled her forces and, with the steadfast support of the Orontids, embarked on a campaign of conquest and consolidation. The Thracian threat was met with steel and fire, as Heraclea's banners unfurled in the winds of destiny. Beyond the hinterlands of Mariandynia, she would send her armies east, as Bithynia, Chalkedon, Byzantion and Kios would fly the Achaemenid flag. The Bosphorus would forevermore be under Achaemenid domination. [2]

The clash of arms and the thunder of hooves echoed across the Anatolian plains as Amastris's armies, infused with the wisdom of Greek stratagems and Persian valor, carved a path of glory. The martial reforms [3], guided by the sagacious counsel of Neaichmos Xenophides [4], breathed new life into the Achaemenid armies, forging them into an indomitable force that echoed the thundering march of Alexander's legacy.

With each conquest, Heraclea's dominion expanded like a radiant phoenix, rising from the ashes of strife. From the storied lands of Paphlagonia to the ancient cities of Sinope and Trebizond, Amastris's name resounded as the harbinger of a new era — a realm where Greek and Persian customs melded into a harmonious symphony, where the echoes of battle gave way to the songs of unity. [5]

As the sun set on her storied reign, Amastris stood as the undisputed sovereign of northern Anatolia, her court a tapestry woven with threads of Greek, Persian, and Anatolian heritage. Foreign emissaries sought her favor, and her name became synonymous with the epic tale of a visionary leader who navigated the turbulent seas of history with grace and valor, leaving behind a legacy etched in the annals of epic history.

[1] Amastris (Greek: Ἄμαστρις; c. 340/39- 270 BC) called Amastrine by the Greeks, was a Persian princess, and Tyrant-ruler of the city of Heraclea from circa 310 BC to her death. She was the daughter of Oxyathres, the brother of the Persian King Darius III. She was the first woman in the Mediterranean publicly identified as the political, economic, and administrative royal authority.

[2] The Diadochi were too busy to focus on the expansionist state in northern Anatolia. The Antigonids would soon abandon the east and retreat to Greece after the death of Antigonos and Macedon would claim Phrygia and the Aeloian coast while the Seleucids and Ptolemaic Egypt split the east between them. This left the holdings of Bithynia and the Anatolian side of the Hellespont open to conquest. Amatris would take advantage of the opportunity. Hiring Greek mercenaries, she would march 15,000 men to claim Chalkedon, Bithynia and the city of Kios. Thrace would answer these states’ call for help but they were an exhausted power after the clashes with Antigonos and the Odrysian rebellion in northern Thrace. Amastris even sacked the capital of Thrace, Lysimachea, greatly enriching the treasury of Heraclea Pontike.

[3] Neaichmos Xenophides was a Greek named as Amastris’ Argbahd who brought in veterans of Alexander’s campaign to reshape Persian military doctrine. The work would see its grand results 70 years later during the time of Amastris’s great-grandson but the credit for starting the reform should go to Amastris and her loyal Greek strategos.

[4] The Xenophides would go on to be a great family of the Achaemenid kingdom, second only in prestige to the house of Cyrus.

[5] In 290 BC, Amastris made a grand ceremony of the consecration of her new temple in Heraclea dedicating it to the Hellenic pantheon. The new Achaemenid kingdom would abandon the teachings of Zoroaster and attempt to meld Greek and Persian customs into a syncretic mix. Citizenship was extended to the Greeks and Anatolians as she sought to keep all newly conquered people of her realm happy. Foremost of the gods would be Ares, Hestia and the demigod Iason of the Golden Fleece fame.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Nice to see a new Imperator AAR, look forward to seeing where you go with this!

Glad to have you onboard!

It's nice to see another Imperator AAR - especially one that also has plans to become a megacampaign!

Where does Amastris plan to expand to first?

Can we look forward to palace intrigue?

Amastris focused on expanding on her immediate surroundings in Bithynia and Paphlagonia (sp?) and the northern Anatolian coast. The dream of the Achaemenids is of course to eventually reclaim their empire.

There will be some political machinations in the reign of the later rules as the question of legitimacy and power sharing between Greeks and Persian come to the fore.

Very happy to see another Imperator AAR, and just before the cutoff for the Q1 2024 ACAs to boot!

Thank you!

Reactions:
What a queen! Upon her shoulders, mighty deeds will be done.

Congrats on conquering northern Anatolia! That's a good start.

Do Amastris's sons count as Achaemenids? They had a Greek father, right?

That alliance with Armenia will likely be useful...

Ooh, a solid start for a minor province. Been itching to see a campaign starting in Imperator Invictus. Hope to see this one continue!

The Reign of Oxyathres and Sames New
Excerpts from the Iranian Book of Kings by Katouz, circa 160 AD [1]

In those days, in the lands of Asia and Greece, where the Achaemenids retreated to after the treachery and evils of Alexander had come to an end, the reigns of Oxyathres and Sames, scions of the illustrious Amastris, unfold as chapters of ambition, conquest, and tragedy, as told to me by my master and by his master to the time of Amastris in an unbroken chain of provenance – by this you know my words to be true.

The Reign of Oxyathres (262 BC - 242 BC)
Oxyathres, the chosen son of their mother's favour, ascended the throne as the new King of Kings, his gaze set upon the realms of Phrygia and Cappadocia. With the might of Bithynia, Armenia and Paphlagonia at his back, he waged campaigns that echoed with the clash of arms and the acquisition of treasures. When he marched back to his capital of Heraclea Pontike, the coffers overflowed with the spoils of his triumphs, and the populace rejoiced as slaves were bestowed upon them, their labor contributing to the grandeur of his reign. For two decades, Oxyathres ruled with a steady hand, navigating the currents of power and prosperity until age claimed him at the venerable age of seventy-seven, leaving behind a realm enriched by his vision and conquests.
Death of Oxyathres.png

The Reign of Sames (242 BC - 229 BC)
Upon his departure, Sames, eldest son of Oxyathres, ascended to the throne, inheriting a legacy of strength and dominion. Lord of Asia and master of the Pontus Euxinus, his reign unfolded with a tranquility born of authority. Lands far and wide paid homage to the great Achaemenid, their tributes fueling the empire's prosperity. [2] The Spartokid king of the Bosporan Kingdom would send his daughter as tribute and Sames would take her as his bride. With this alliance, he controlled the great trade routes of the Pontus Euxinos and levied tribute on all merchants passing through the Gates of Heraclea.[3] Yet, fate's cruel hand intervened, shattering the beneficence of his rule. Amidst the sacred rites in the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, treachery struck, claiming the life of the noble king Sames, plunging the realm into mourning and uncertainty.
Death of Sames.png

His son, Smerdomenes, was crowned amidst the shadows of tragedy, inheriting the mantle of his forefathers and the weight of their ambitions.

[1] Kartouz was an Assyrian poet and chronicler, originally hailing from Cilicia. During his lifetime, the Achaemenid Empire was at its zenith and enjoyed a Pax Persica as Greco-Persian culture flowered. He was commissioned by the Bagratid Great House to compile the verbal and written histories of the Empire into a singular epic poem. He would spend twenty-three years writing this and it is the most complete primary text we have access to from the early Neo-Achaemenid period. The version above is based on the Duric prose translation.

[2] Isauria, Armenia and Selgia would all pay tribute to Sames Achaemenid. By leveraging the reserves of manpower in Asia Minor and hiring of mercenaries, the Achaemenids could field sizeable armies and Armenia had become the junior partner in the alliance. At the same time, the increasing aggression of the Seleukids in the East meant that Armenia had to look to the defence of its southern border. Sometime during the reign of Sames, King Zareh Orontid would bend the knee in return for protection against common foes.
Armenia returns to the fold.png

[3] We know this as the Hellespont. With the capture of Chalkedon and the dominant navy in the region, all ships had to pay taxes to access the Black Sea peacefully. Thrace offered an alternative safe harbour on the European side of the Hellespont but most merchants figured it wise to pay the tolls on both sides of the Bosphorus during the reign of Sames though his son would ensure there would be no further disputes on where tolls should be paid when he came to power.

Last edited:
What a queen! Upon her shoulders, mighty deeds will be done.

She was so very great. Her son and grandson's reign would be eclipsed in the radiance of her achievements.

Congrats on conquering northern Anatolia! That's a good start.

Do Amastris's sons count as Achaemenids? They had a Greek father, right?

That alliance with Armenia will likely be useful...

What the Queen wants, the Queen gets and if she says her sons are Achaemenids, who is going to argue with her?

Ooh, a solid start for a minor province. Been itching to see a campaign starting in Imperator Invictus. Hope to see this one continue!

Thanks and appreciate your patience for the long gap. Had a busy past two weeks but things should move forward at a faster clip moving forward. I've played up to 120 AD so there's a lot more history to go.

This chapter is shorter as not much changes outside of smaller conquests and Armenia becoming a convert. The history definitely picks up with the next couple King of Kings though so stay tuned.

Trechery! May the traitor killers hang by their entrails!

Congrats on vassalizing Armenia and annexing land in Anatolia!

The Temple of Artemis in Pergamum is the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, right?

What's the religion of these Achaemenids? Are they fully Hellenic now, having abandoned Zoroastrianism? Did they perform some sort of syncretism?

Congrats on vassalizing Armenia and annexing land in Anatolia!

The Temple of Artemis in Pergamum is the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, right?

What's the religion of these Achaemenids? Are they fully Hellenic now, having abandoned Zoroastrianism? Did they perform some sort of syncretism?

That is correct. I've corrected Kartouz who might have been misinformed, writing it 80 years after the great Hellenistic purge where the Achaemenids ransacked the temples of their former gods.

During this period, the Achaemenids were primarily Hellenic but the Eastern concepts of god-kings will soon synthesize with the Greek gods over the next few rulers.

Reactions:
An excellent next chapter! Heraclea Pontica is already far more secure than it ever was. For once, it is time for them to stand at the head of an empire, rather than kneel to it. Your writing style brings back fond memories of my Ancient Greece course in college, when we studied historical poems like what you've emulated here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Reign of Smerdomenes (236BC – 191 BC) New
The Reign of Smerdomenes (236BC – 191 BC)

Smerdomenes.png
Taken from the Obelisk of Smerdomenes in Byzantion. The obelisk is now broken into three large pieces but we can still read the engravings from two millennia ago. Beyond the words, there are many carvings of a diadem-crowned Smerdomenes, scenes of kings bowing to him and the gods coming to bless the king. Here, I have translated the inscriptions to be understood in our modern tongue:

In the 8th year of the reign of Smerdomenes the Great [1] came to this city and claimed rightful rulership of it. I am the Great Lion, the Maintainer of Asia and Europa, the Son of Ares, victorious by his great sword who widens his boundaries over all lands. Look on my works and know that you are in the domain of the Protector of the World. [2] Hear now the words of the Great God Zeus as spoken to your Exalted King.

“Oh Smerdomenes of the Achaemenid! Thou hast done it for me that all lands, all men, be obedient unto me. Thou has summonedst me up in Byzantia, and I came to do honour upon thee. Adorn this city and make it an offering worthy of the gods. Do so and lordship of the mortal world, I grant thee.”

Smerdomenes the Undefeated brought forth all my men of Asia to march forth and sent the multitude of our soldiers against the hostile land of the Greeks. The foes made a stand at Nike and they were struck down, and great slaughter followed.

In the 25th year of the reign of the Great King Smerdomenes, the Greek kings of Thracia, Troyus and Macedonia supplicated themselves before the First Sword of Persia and acknowledged our rightful sovereignty.

I made war on those who refused my rightful lordship as ordained by Zeus. I took your wives, I took all your horses, your gold and your cattle. I spare you now, for my gracious father Ares has giveth me all these lands. His spear is piercing, his virtue is beneficient and blessed your King of Kings with life, health, strength.”

Here in Byzantion, the capital of the Great Lion, the great warship, Leontophoros is blessed by the priests of Iason and Poseidon. Know that this ship is the mightiest to ever sail. Eight hundred men rowed on one side, and one thousand six hundred oarsmen are needed to man it. Those who fight from the deck were one thousand two hundred. And two helmsmen will command it. Know that the Protector of the World commands not just the land but with lion-breaker, the waters as well. [3]

Let this decree be made. The Achaemenid Kingdom is restored and we shall rule from Byzantion for a thousand thousand years. [4] We are the rightful rulers of the world. Avenger of the Persian people. Lord of Asia and Europa. King of Kings. Our rule extends to Aegean in the South. Trebizond in the East, Ionia in the West and to the Danubia in the North. Master of the Aegean and the Euxinus. [5] Beloved of Zeus and Hera, most favoured of Ares. Whoever tries to plan the removal of these words or any part of, let him be excommunicated by the gods, let him be cursed by those in Hades, that he may be in the burning breath of the guardian Cerberus, with neither a son or daughter to give him succor."

[1] Smerdomenes would rule the kingdom for 50 years after the untimely death of his father. During his reign, he would shape the realm in immense ways. Byzantion became the new capital with its strategic placement on the Bosphorus. It would act as the fulcrum of the new empire that would straddle both the Greek West and the Persian East.

Smerdomenes God of War.png
Infusing the Greek religion with Persian practices of god-kings, he would begin the association of the kingdom with divinity where worship of the king was expected of all citizens. His son, Orodes would personally see to the construction of the Temple of Smerdomenes in Byzantion as the Greco-Persian God of War but there’s little evidence of it now outside of the two great statues that used to frame the entranceway of the temple. The temple was torn down during the Hellenic purges of the second century AD.
Statues of Smernomenes temple.jpg

The two great statues of Smerdomenes from his Temple, built in 160 BC and destroyed somewhere around 140 AD
The murder of his father, Sames was never solved though it’s commonly thought by scholars that it was Smerdomenes that ordered the assassination based on the speed of his coronation and taking hold of the reigns of power. Unfortunately, tragedy would strike the family of Smerdomenes. His oldest son and Admiral of the Navy, Oxyathres was groomed to rule when he was struck down by assassins late in Smerdomenes’ reign. Smerdomenes was grief-stricken and took it out in purges against the nobility and blamed his second son and remaining heir for failing to live up to the example of Oxyathres. This would colour many elements of Orodes’ reign.
The heir, Oxyathres murdered.png

[2] With the capture of Thrace and the growing Greek population, the King of Kings would begin the synthesisation of Greek and Persian culture in order to forge a new cultural amalgam. Similar to Alexander’s dream of a universal empire, Smerdomenes would expend immense effort to break down barriers between the two cultures and sought to integrate Greeks into the Achaemenid power structure. Families such as the Xenophids, Helioklids and the Agesopholids would rise in prominence becoming Great Houses in the Persian style and becoming increasingly Persianised over time.
Greco-Iranian Culture.png

[3] The Leontophoros would be sunk by the Ptolemaic navy in the invasion of Rhodos during the reign of Orodes but the Persian continued the fiction of the unsinkable war ship by giving the name to a new mega-octere. Despite the launching of this immense vessel, the Achaemenid navy was still weak and outnumbered by the great naval powers of this era such as Ptolemaic Egypt, Carthage and the Seleukids. It would take another two centuries before they could truly fulfil their claim as “Lords of the Sea”.
The Leontophoros.png

[4] Smerdomenes intended for Byzantion to be the jewel of the world, the city of the world’s desire and he spared no expense in bringing in artisans, architects and sculptors to adorn his capital. Initially a small city of fifteen thousand, the new city boundaries reflected the ambition of the king, extending the markers out to encompass all land along the Golden Horn and far inland. During his and the next few King’s reign, the city would grow to encompass all the lands provided with more than a million residents until its decline during the plagues of the second and third century AD.
Smerdomenes adorns Byzantion.png

[5] Despite the proclamations by Smerdomenes was a large fish in an ocean of sharks. To the East, the Macedonian kingdom of Persia had recovered after the fall of the Seleukids against Parthia and Ptolemaic Egypt took an increasing interest in the happenings in the motherland of Greece. There was also the threat of the newly ascendant Rome in the West to grapple with.

Achaemenid Kingdom 182 BCE.png
The world in 191 BC at the death of Smerdomenes

Looks like Orodes is going to have the real big fights to contend with. Thankfully the successes of his forebears have strengthened the realm to a point where the coming conflict isn't impossible. And I can see from your hinting that the kingdom may indeed prevail over the circling sharks.

The Greco-Persian appear avenged. Will the new Achaemenids target Athens now?

Rome looks powerful. Will they fight the Achaemenids, or will Carthage keep them distracted?

Are the Hellenic purges and the plagues related? They both occurred during the second century AD...

Looks like Orodes is going to have the real big fights to contend with. Thankfully the successes of his forebears have strengthened the realm to a point where the coming conflict isn't impossible. And I can see from your hinting that the kingdom may indeed prevail over the circling sharks.

The Greco-Persian appear avenged. Will the new Achaemenids target Athens now?

Rome looks powerful. Will they fight the Achaemenids, or will Carthage keep them distracted?

Are the Hellenic purges and the plagues related? They both occurred during the second century AD...

Orodes' reign is indeed eventful. The great Achaemenid dream is to reclaim their entire empire and make Alexander's conquest a forgotten dream but immediately, the remaining Diadochi are on the horizon and the massive influx of Greeks into the kingdom will prove harder to digest than expected.

The Hellenic sackings came as a response to new existential threats afflicting the Achaemenids in the second century AD. The Babylonian Plague was certainly one of those threats.

Reactions: