• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
urdh: Yes, I really like the color too. I think that in this timeline, Turquoise will probably be called Trebizondoise or something like that :cool:

Azugal: Oh, yeah, right! Woops! :eek:o Well let's call those rules flexible house rules from now on, shall we? They aren't cooperating very well anyway!

PetitBourgeois, Lord Blekinge: Thanks! I'm hoping it will stay as interesting as it started out, because I keep fearing for my life.

Working on an update atm! Boy, it sure takes a lot of time though.

Part VII - Insert your bad joke about 'gobbling' and Turkey here! (1457-1471)

Here I am again! I've been distracted for a while with all those holidays and such. Also I've been working a bit on a little mod of mine, you can see it in my signature. Hardly related to the glory of Trebizond though.

I'm afraid 2009 won't be a very good year really. There are signs. In handwriting, '2009' very much resembles the word 'zoog', which is Dutch for 'sucked'. Great! The year has hardly even started, and yet it sucked already! Best wishes to all of you!

Well, guess what, I loaded up the game and accidentally clicked on one of those buttons I never use.

144jagello.jpg

It's the region map, mentioning some big blue empire I've never even heard of!

Turns up that the dynasty ruling Poland-Lithuania - the Jagiellon dynasty - did for a very short timespan also rule Bohemia and Hungary. We're talking 1440-1444 here. That's the empire displayed on the map!

By the way, Jogaila, the founder of this dynasty, converted to Christianity in 1386. Shouldn't there be at least some pagans left in Lithuanias backwater provinces then in 1399, eh?

Right. Returning to Trebizond now. --------Bzzzzzzt! (that's the time machine buzz) ------->

TREBIZOND, 1457

With inflation at 17.9% and our reserves still steadily dropping, our financial situation can be summed up as not so good. Expansion eastward will be tough as long as the Mamluk-Timurid alliance holds, although the former appear to be in a succession crisis at the moment.

I lost the screenshot, but the Mamluks northernmost provinces are swarming with rebels. With a bit of luck they'll persist long enough for Syria to revolt?

At the moment I have three plans to bring in some ducats:
- Wait around a few years until cores start dropping in. Turkish will become an accepted culture soon and that should help.
- Search the lakebed of the former Lake Van for lost treasure.
- Raid some North Africans

I've been reading more useless stuff on wikipedia overnight, and while I probably ought to wait with this one until the historical time, I'd forget, and it's way too cool to keep behind anyway.

Did you know that officially, there has never been an October 5th, 1582? In fact, the 4th was immediately followed by the 15th. Now that's something you don't see every year! Pope Gregory XIII had decreed the new and more accurate Gregorian calendar to replace the old Julian one. There weren't enough leap days in the Julian calendar, and after many centuries of use it began to show. Farmers noticed that the seasons were actually beginning earlier than they should, because the calendar was so much ahead. Therefore, 10 days were scrapped.

The best thing of all is the resulting myth of the "Give us back our eleven days" riots. There never were any riots, but somehow many people have believed the story.

145painting.jpg

The Gregorian calendar also officially made the year start on January 1. Formerly, March 1 had been the usual start of the year since the Romans. Not for the byzantines however. They rather preferred to start the year on the 1st of October. Still making sense to you?

I don't believe this calendar gap is represented in EU3, is it now? Will try to verify when I get there.

Lets try once more to return to playing and conquering some! **** Krrrrzzeeeeep!****

TREBIZOND, 1457 (really!)

On April's Fools Day 1457, we supposedly discover Government Tech 6. I wouldn't trust that!

The Byzantines get mauled badly by Genoa, and they have to release just about everything they can. Excellent. We immediately send out some warnings and guarantees.

146release.jpg

Next up, we discover that North Africa is all at war and really begging us to join in too.

147tunis.jpg

148tunis2.jpg

Tunisia has an army of 3k soldiers, Morocco has 6k but a scary navy.

149tunis3.jpg

Easy prey, especially since their army is away besieging some Algerians. They quickly succumb and we vassalize them. If the Mamluks DOW us now, they'll get all confused by the two front, sending their armies to and fro across the desert. Yay! :p Unfortunately, they only had 75 to give. I was really hoping for more. We eventually white peace with Morocco years later.

Rebels are troublesome back home, but we kick some Moreans first on the way back home. Our warning spree payed off and we find ourselves the leader of an alliance protecting Corfu from the Moreans. When I arrive, some Italians have already done most of the work, but victory will be mine.

Candar forms in Antalya, finally breaking free from the Mamluks. We decide to do the obvious.

Eek! Apparently, the Poles didn't like that.

155poland.jpg

They drag in their Lithuanian allies too, of course. This isn't fun as we're unprepared and tangled up in two (admittedly minor) wars already. The other wars, against Morea and Candar, were going fine. What was it that made them attack then? Either my WE rose to levels which made me appear vulnerable, or it was because a large portion of my army was away from my territory. I know this, why don't I think of it a bit sooner?

I'm outnumbered, although not very badly.

156armies.jpg

At least Candar falls easily. We now control all of Asia Minor!

157candar.jpg

Soon, Morea joins our fresh vassal club! Sadly, again there aren't any ducats to share :(

150morea.jpg

The Polish are rampaging the countryside and we dance around for a while. Finally I manage to destroy a good part of their army when I arrive right after an assault attempt. This convinces them to sign a white peace. Ugh! For a while I thought it was really looking bad.

158battle.jpg

Theodosiopolis ( the former Erserum ) became a core in 1457, and in 1463 decides to flip to my culture.

151culture.jpg

I intended to sit back, wait, consolidate a while. But when one of the Jalayarid provinces breaks off to form Iraq, I immediately jump in. Some screenshots missing maybe, but the battle wasn't all that exciting anyway.

So, one more vassal/buffer state/cash cow added to the list!
We decide not to annex because we have rebel trouble enough as it is. Beside, tiny vassal armies are great at sieging provinces while I'm busy chasing enemy armies. Yep.

152iraq.jpg

Then Novgorod offers an alliance. Apparently we've become glorious enough to catch their attention. I accept, hoping it will deter GH and Poland from attacking me (again). The alliance switches on and off some times in the following years, and indeed it turns out that I'm only attacked when I don't have powerful allies. Something to keep in mind in the future.

In 1464, we get a request for help from Georgia. We agree because we ought to, and because we get a free shot at the remains of the Jayalarids.

153george.jpg

Since we're at war, we can go exploring their territory without a conquistador! You can't even do that in allied territory, oddly enough.

159explore.jpg

The Jayalarids are quickly subjugated, but I couldn't prevent the Golden Horde from snatching the northern half of Georgia :(

160subjug.jpg

A few years later, the Trebizond High Council of Glory decides that we really ought to contest our claims on Byzantine territory, despite any promises we may have made in a distant past (We warned them and they attacked & annexed the Knights).

Interesting things happen.

161traitors.jpg

Not only does Georgia refuse to join us in our just war, they are actually joining the Nicaean usurpers! Treachery! :mad:

The Armenians actually prove to be quite helpful in the swift Georgian campaign.

162georgia.jpg

Then we destroy the Byzantine army and start sieging all their provinces at once.

163byzwar.jpg

After the Third Sack of Constantinople, peace is signed in April 1471.

164peace.jpg

We had a mission to capture Macedonia as we already had a core on it from a border conflict, so we get 10 prestige.

165bulg.jpg

Cores and vassals, May 1471

166cores.jpg

And finally, the world as we know it in 1471, with Trebizond + vassals outlined.
I like how Aquileia ate Venice and Croatia! Nice!

143map1471.jpg

Well, that's all for today folks!

167allfolks.gif

Last edited:
Wow i like this AAR ^^ i gonna read this :D don't give up man you doing a great job with the last greek empire and it's getting big as well ;)

I think Samogita (spelling?) is pagan in 1399, not sure though - besides, there are other countries that should be partly pagan in 1399, like Sweden for example (depending on what historical rendition you choose to support).

Anyway, there seems to be some extensive blobbing around you... be careful.

I think Samogita (spelling?) is pagan in 1399, not sure though - besides, there are other countries that should be partly pagan in 1399, like Sweden for example (depending on what historical rendition you choose to support).

Sweden pagan in 1399! From what I remember from school was that Sweden was Christian by that time. The only part that probably was pagan at this time was the far north of modern Sweden, which I think wasn't incorporated in Sweden yet. Old superstitions and traditions yes, pagan no.

Sweden pagan in 1399! From what I remember from school was that Sweden was Christian by that time. The only part that probably was pagan at this time was the far north of modern Sweden, which I think wasn't incorporated in Sweden yet. Old superstitions and traditions yes, pagan no.

As I said, depends on what theory you choose to support. But yeah, most of sweden was christian, officially.

I also stumbled upon the jaeg-xxx empire and was just as curious as you were. Pretty cool to have features like that in game. Love factoids :)

Nice AAR, just stumbled on it accidentally...

Did you know that officially, there has never been an October 5th, 1582? In fact, the 4th was immediately followed by the 15th. Now that's something you don't see every year! Pope Gregory XIII had decreed the new and more accurate Gregorian calendar to replace the old Julian one. There weren't enough leap days in the Julian calendar, and after many centuries of use it began to show. Farmers noticed that the seasons were actually beginning earlier than they should, because the calendar was so much ahead. Therefore, 10 days were scrapped.

Initially, only the Catholic nations adopted the change (and that with delays). After all, the faithful people of Trapezunt (and other Orthodox nations) would not bow to the ravings of a schismatic lunatic. Most of these peoples switched in the late 19th - early 20th centuries. Oh, and if you live in Sirbia, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Armenia, or if you still follow the ole Julian Calendar, I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Cheers!!

Laur

GReat job, I knew Armenia would prove valuable :D, first Christian country ftw!

Plus their cav (historically speaking) raped. THem and Georgians managed to hold back Ottos outnumbering em 3:1!

Anyways i hope that you begin to expand easterly, mainly (Astrkahn) It has a CoT i believe and is population rich. PLus i think mamluks and timurids are a bit too hot to handle atm and you don't have enuf vision to do much except maybe cash or white peace.

Wow i like this AAR ^^ i gonna read this :D don't give up man you doing a great job with the last greek empire and it's getting big as well ;)

Thanks! The inflation and lack of cores were worrying me a little, but I think I'm past the worst part now.

Technically, Rhodos is a part of asia minor. So you don't own all of it.
Great gameplay!
Not drive magyars back to Wolga!

Oh, maybe, might depend on your definition. I'll fix it!

Are you familiar with things like the Swedish Trollkyrka? Evidence seems to support the theory that pagan ceremonies were performed into the 17th century, and some even claim the 19th. Admittedly, that doesn't make an area a dominantly pagan.

I will beware of the blobs! I'm think I'll just avoid Castille and France as good as I can, and try not to open a land border with Austria.

I hope you're still Hungary after gobbling Turkey because they have your Greek homelands!

..sorry for that. Great AAR

Harr! Well, I was asking for it, wasn't I. And thanks!

See what I said to urdh. But indeed, there are different theories.

I also stumbled upon the jaeg-xxx empire and was just as curious as you were. Pretty cool to have features like that in game. Love factoids :)

Yeah, there's always so much to discover, so much to learn, fantastic. :)

Nice AAR, just stumbled on it accidentally...

Thank you!

yey an update :D you got out of that war with those pesky poles quite nicely:) glory to the empire and its conteniued conquests :)

Only just getting started! ;)

Oh, and if you live in Sirbia, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Armenia, or if you still follow the ole Julian Calendar, I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Cheers!!

Laur

I wish you a merry 11th January!

Anyways i hope that you begin to expand easterly, mainly (Astrkahn) It has a CoT i believe and is population rich. PLus i think mamluks and timurids are a bit too hot to handle atm and you don't have enuf vision to do much except maybe cash or white peace.

Good points there, as you will soon see. Astrakhan is a bit out of reach, but I might give it a try some day.

Part VIII - Trebizond invents the roundhouse kick (1471-1500)

As the power of the Empire has been growing steadily, the 15th century draws to a close and the doctrine of victoglory has taken root in the new generation, it is most definitely time to show our rivals who rules the neighborhood. I sort of surprised myself when I actually did kick 'm all. Well, except for the pirates, who pwned me. Read and find out.

Starting this session at peace in 1471, I'm intending to keep quiet for a while, recover my manpower and trade situation and such.

168culture.jpg

Greek <-> Turkish culture change is accelerated, so now cores are dropping in, they start embracing their true culture too. This is excellent, as it really helps my income. Yearly income from a province increases tenfold(!) when it becomes a core, and the culture swap plus conversion more than doubles its monthly income. Quite significant, I'd say.

169welcome.jpg

This is very welcome!

We reach Naval Tech 6 and we get some more cores on rival provinces to the north. While this is useful for expansion, too much 'uncontested claims' can be quite a drain on one's prestige.

170core.jpg

While I would like to capture Thrace rather sooner than later, I'm afraid to DoW, as Poland had warned us.

171hre.jpg

And they are the HRE :/ We generously spread guarantees and warnings to work around their warning.
At least the infidels are breaking their alliance. Morons!

By the end of 1473, our allies in Novgorod start a war against the Teutons, Pommerania and Bavaria. We help because we need the alliance. We take the stab hit, then fix some access agreements and march towards Bavaria. Some minor skirmishes occur, but before we achieve much, peace is declared.

172armies.jpg

Here's an overview. Poland is way up there with 49k. The Timurids and Mamluks both have something 30k'ish, but the former are exclusively infantry and the latter is lagging in Land Tech.

Ha! Our warnings soon start to pay off. Appears we weren't the only ones warning Hungary. Or guaranteeing Naxos, perhaps. Anyway, we get to lead the alliance! \0/ Did the Hungarians really expect to accomplish anything here? :confused: Soon, Poland joins the fight by declaring on Hungary too. They're toast.

173naxos.jpg

Our present king will make an excellent commander.

174king.jpg

Separate peace treaties soon relieve them of their gold. Poland peaces out for 1 province soon after. I want more than that!

175seppeace.jpg

We get rid of their armies.

176hung.jpg

Notice Aquileia making good progress here. They are being quite aggressive this game, I expect them to form Italy in the 16th century. Unless I prevent them, of course. By the way, I've been to the town of Aquileia myself, I think it was in the year 2000 or some time around then. There's actually a city map of Roman Aquileia on my wall! It's a quiet, small rural town nowadays. But it once was the fourth city of the empire. The remains of a Roman forum and harbor (it used to be at the coast, but now it's like 10km inland) between the cypresses were pretty cool. Anyway. Lots of lost glory. Not how Trebizond is going to end, for sure! Click here for some pictures.

177aqui.jpg

We carry on sieging and Aquileia makes peace in exchange for roughly the territory of present-day Croatia. The situation is now like this:

178notyet.jpg

But we don't feel like ending the war just yet! They don't have any armies left!

However, it's not meant to be.

179timur.jpg

Time for peace in the west. We're now starting to dominate the Balkans in a way that befits a true Roman-Greek-Byzantine Empire!

180peace.jpg

We hurry our cavalry across the Anatolian hills to battle the Timurid invasion. My vassals can keep them busy for a short while, but their numbers will not suffice against any serious threat the Timurids manage to assemble.

181timwar.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. We easily destroy some smaller Timurid stacks, while waiting for attrition to wear down their 21k stack some more.

182najd.jpg

Najd decides they want to have some fun too.

183harr.jpg

We deal some blows to their armies, sometimes bringing the fight to their ground and starting some sieges, but we keep getting chased away by big scary stacks. Moreover, it's a serious disadvantage that most of their territory is in Terra Incognita for us.

We're more or less succesfully putting down rebels, relieving our fallen Arab vassals and cutting down Timurids, when this happens

184mamluk.jpg

Oh man, it's getting hot in here!

We decide fighting the Timurids (who are HUGE) and not losing territory is still a victory, and we pay them 25 ducats.

We end one war and immediately get two new ones, as Algiers attacks our vassal Tunis and the Golden Horde attacks our ally Novgorod.

185war4.jpg

For a very short while, we wage five wars, as Sibir also dows Novgorod.

But since Algiers is also at war with Morocco, they are easily dealt with. In fact, Tunis occupies a province and I didn't have to do a thing. We take Kabylia, mostly to extend our colonization range.

186kabylia.jpg

So we're back to 4 simultaneous wars! Almost as peaceful as I had imagined!

War rages on for some time. We siege the Mamluks northern provinces and in 1481 finally white peace with Najd, which we can't reach anyway. The Golden Horde is decisively defeated by Novgorod, but they did manage to take another province from Georgia, which is by now down to one province :(

187mamwar.jpg

It took a while for the Mamluk army to show up, but when they did, it was huge and it made it all the way to Bursa before I can get rid of them.

188bursa.jpg

It takes some more time to regain the upper hand against the Mamluks, but what's more important is that we do! In 1484, white peace is signed with Sibir and Kazakh.

189rebels.jpg

Rebels all over the place...

190interesting.jpg

Interesting!

We get a new cool king, Morocco declares war on us but won't do a thing for years, and as WE is steadily rising, we decide it's time to end the war with the Mamluks.

Hail Alexeios IV!

191alexios.jpg

192mus.jpg

A national celebration is held when Holy, Invisible Lake Van becomes "part of our patrimony". Silly scholars. It has always been!

In the background, you can see that war has again broken out in Hungary. They'll end up releasing Ragusa.

193van.jpg

In 1486 we move a slider towards Free Subjects, which gives us a very nice event. Inflation is now down to 17.5 (from a maximum of 20). We're now very slowly reducing inflation with a 4* master of mint and our improved yearly income (more cores).

194slider.jpg

Financial overview:

195finance.jpg

Some years go by and all of a sudden, pirates start popping up. Quickly, 8 pirate galleys are blocking the Aegean Sea. This is bad, as it reduces my income, prevents me from quickly shipping troops to Greece, and to make things worse, I only have 2 galleys.

196byzpir.jpg

Here, 3 province (Thrace, Rhodes, Corfu) Byzantium declares war on 1-province Greece( in Kaffa ). I was guaranteeing Greece and I was waiting for this moment, hehe. Also, notice the bloody pirates.

The sieges of Thrace and Rhodes are concluded quickly and we're happily sieging Rhodes, when Novgorod decides to stir it up.

197novgo.jpg

I think I reached the image limit again, so 1488-1500 will be in the next post! Read on for another exciting episode full of Trebizondian awesomeness*, with the second Mamluk war and much more!

* There was a bit of a generation gap between Basileios II and Alexeios IV. The doctrine of Victoglory has now officially been abandoned in exhange for Imperial Awesomeness. Times change, eh?

Last edited:
Part VIII section 2 - Nasty pirates! (1491-1500)

So we're again at war, with the Byzantines, and with the Mamluks plus some unimportant Central Asians. We build as many galleys as we can to combat the nasty, nasty pirates. We kill them at some point - forgot to make a screenshot - at way too high a cost. At least we can start patrolling now. I even started to train some infantry to assist in sieges.

198mamluks.jpg

I love the smell of dead Mamluks in the morning! Just look how much our general-king rocks! Actually, I'm not sure if his fire 6 does any good yet. Remind me to take a look at the tech multipliers.

199byzwin.jpg

The Byzantines are reduced to their capital. How very historic. Just a few decades behind schedule. Also, Novgorod signs peace with Nogai, which ends the war with the Mamluks for us.

200ragusa.jpg

It turns out our tiny neighbour Ragusa is feeling suicidal, and that this is the 200th image in this AAR! Woohoo! :cool:

Ragusa is subdued in less than a year.

201byeragusa.jpg

Europe is a big mess, with France blobbing into Castille, Poland shattered and Aquileia overrunning Aragon in Italy. The Netherlands are formed shortly after this. Cool, I rarely see the AI pulling that off.

202europe.jpg

In 1495 we get warned again, this time by the Timurids. They really hate us. Look at Greece. Rebels occupied the Hungarian provinces there and they are now headed to Athens. Guess what's going to happen to those provinces? :p

203warn.jpg

204strangenews.jpg

Strange news from another world.

205defections.jpg

The rebellious Hungarians and Athens have joined Morea, which has long been my vassal! A plan arises... Now Morea is larger, it's becoming much more attractive to diplo-annex them. They hold lands that any serious Greek Empire must have, anyway.

Meanwhile, Moldavia popped up in collapsing Poland. They instantly make some enemies. We wait a few days to see who joins the war, but it appears Hungary's allies all abandon them. Once again it's not looking good for them :rolleyes:

206moldova.jpg

We get new and shiny cavalry and subsequently the Magyar aggressors suffer massive losses. No causal relation has yet been established, but the speculations are wild!

207newcav.jpg

208massive.jpg

The Aztecs have also been annexed by Portugal, it appears. Well, well. Castille appears to focus more on Africa, fighting war after war with Mali, Benin and Kongo.

209ioannis.jpg

Alexeios died way to young. This chap seems to be ok, but not as great as his predecessor. Oh well. Wish I could've used the 6 fire-6 maneuver guy a bit longer. At least Hungary is quickly falling to my forces now. Total occupation seems possible.

Then the Novgorod Russians want me to go to war again. With the Golden Horde and Morocco this time. They must be the most demanding allies ever!

210war.jpg

Sure, just let me finish these Hungarians first, ok?
They are subjugated in 1500, after 3 years of fierce and awesome warfare.

211hungdown.jpg

And without remorse, we reduce them to a pale shadow of their former glory. The current king's grandfather would feel extremely victoglorious at this moment, we can be sure.

212glory.jpg

When our armies arrive at the eastern front, our wise generals decide to just guard the border and admire the spectacle. Unfortunately, the Horde has now completely absorbed Georgia, but we'll try to remedy that in the next episode.

213spectacle.jpg

We can finish this session with more good tidings! At our second attempt, Morea accepts our invitation to become Awesome Trebizondian Citizens, third class!

214morea.jpg

Looking gooooood! We white peace with the GH to round things off neatly for this session and we close this report with a map of the known world.

map1500.jpg

I think my European situation is pretty ok as it is. Any expansion there would only bring me closer to France, which I don't want. So I will try to focus more on Africa and Asia, and go East, East, East, to paradise! Oh, and Constantinople, of course.

Situation in June 1500 (95 years played):
Provinces: 39
Conquer rate: 0.4 provinces/year
Expansion rate: 3.9%/year

Last edited:
Hey everybody, let's do one of those interaction thingies!

[you all]: Yay! Democracy is awesome! Sometimes, anyway!

Good! Since I'm obviously going to take Constantinople soon, what are your thoughts on then restoring the Byzantine Empire? I'd gain some cores and +2 centralization, but I'd lose my awesome color, name and flag. What? Only cosmetic, you say? Blasphemy!

No really, what do you think? :p

What are your long-term plans for Novgorod, can there be two Third Romes?
Will you be willing to support Aquilea in what seems as an inevitable war against France?

The long-long-term goal is just a single Rome, of course. However, I think they're quite useful for now. Besides, sticking to your friends is awesome.

As for Aquileia, hmm, we'll see. They seem to have good relations with France.