• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
this AAR has blown my mind..

read it all in a night..

instead of writing up my politics essay on the failure of Athenian Democracy

oh well..

I will be Victoglorious.. mark my words..

I feel I should tell you this.
I have a Byzantine HTTT game. Trebizond was the 2nd province I captured. I went on to become Victoglorious, crushing the Ottomans underfoot and even taking over Naples. Except I brought back the Theme system, and Trebizon renamed to Chaldia.

Part XXIII
Trebizond Dead? What blasphemy! The Empire is Immortal!

(1630-1643)

Although I'll admit I've been wasting my time on other random stuff. And playing IN feels a bit weird now I'm accustomed to HTTT. But I'm still determined to finish this guys!

I'm going to adopt a more concise style with fewer pictures though. Both because of the new picture limit and to keep up the pace.

605.jpg

1630-1633: War with the Poles in the west, when we honor our guarantee of Denmark. Which doesn't mean that we can't take some nice real estate, of course. The border territories of Ersekuvjar, Krakow and Bessarabia are added to our victoglorious empire, pushing our reputation close to the limit (27.9/29)

604.jpg

Oman vassalized.

1634: First colonists reach New Trebizealand.
1635: Aquileia moves its capital to Parma, away from the border. This will only allow us to more easily move into Italy. Smart move!

We eye Portugal carefully, hoping to snatch California from them. But with alliances with GB, Aragon and Castille, that doesn't sound like the best thing to do. I wouldn't stand a chance against their navies, which aint fun especially while we still have a number of unfortified colonies all over the place.

606.jpg

1636: Monopoly Company formed. Nice bonus.

7 Persian provinces core.

1637: War on Timurids drags in most of the remaining free muslims: Syria, Hedjaz and Delhi. Hedjaz is annexed because it will make the Red Sea coast look prettier. Syria and Delhi are vassalized. Finally the entire Arabian peninsula is officially under our control.

Ming collapses, with Sukhotai and Annam breaking free.

1638: Poland collapses, with Silesia, Brandenburg, Zaparozhie, Lithuania and Krakow breaking free.
607.jpg

The Chagatai area is taken from Timurids, then released as vassal to keep BB-neutrality. (27.4/29)
608.jpg

1640: DoWed Nepal, bringing in Maharasthra, Orissa, Tibet and Ceylon.
Ioannes VI rises to the throne, 5/4/3. Gah.
Nepal is vassalized.

France conquers Malacca, as the first Western power getting a foothold in my backyard a.k.a. Asia.

609.jpg

1641: Gov't Tech 25! Our sixth National Idea, Colonial Ventures, for a total of 1.9 colonists per year. Soon we will reach Cabinet!

611.jpg

1642: Ceylon, Tibet and Orissa are all thoroughly defeatoshamed and vassalized, concluding the war.

The world, 31 December 1643:

mapmine1643.jpg

On Emperor Ioannes "the Blunt" VI's suggestion, PTI (Permanent Terra Incognita) is officially renamed NYM (Not Yet Mine).

I actually played ahead a bit so you can expect at least one update relatively shortly :p

Last edited:
Hi all! Victoglory is to be continued in a month or so. Some bold conquering is urgently needed in real life atm.

Hopefully I have obtained a BSc degree in Artificial Intelligence when I next post here.

Turned out to be more like two months. I'm still unsure about the degree, I hope I have it, but someone likes to keep me waiting for my final grade!

this AAR has blown my mind..

read it all in a night..

instead of writing up my politics essay on the failure of Athenian Democracy

oh well..

I will be Victoglorious.. mark my words..

Heh! That's great to hear. Hope you managed to write something up though.

I feel I should tell you this.
I have a Byzantine HTTT game. Trebizond was the 2nd province I captured. I went on to become Victoglorious, crushing the Ottomans underfoot and even taking over Naples. Except I brought back the Theme system, and Trebizon renamed to Chaldia.

What? The purple usurpers claiming supremacy?? Purple is not even an actual color, so how could a supposed state using that color be the true victoglorious Greek Empire?

;)

Great to see this back. Too bad about the new Emperor.

Oh yeah, Victoglory!

Great to see an update, I've been lurking this for a while.

How are you going to treat France's incursion into your backyard?

Sort of depends on my decision whether or not I want to cross the badboy limit, I think. On one hand it seems cooler from a RP perspective to stay good, because I think victoglory does not equal nefarioinfamy. But on the other hand, I get bored if I'm only allowed to take 1 or 2 provinces per year.

What do you think?

Finally you're in AAR section. :)

So only one update and AAR is finished? :(

More! Quite sure I think. I meant to say that the next update in line shouldn't take another 3 months, because it has already been played. Forgot to take screenshots of an important 5 year war though:eek:o

Victoglory!

Excellent update, as usual ;)

Still hoping that a French-Russian-GB-Castillian-Ming alliance will attack and break you, just to make the next Victoglory even more Victoglorious!

Part XXIV
Mopping up and success at last!
(1643-1661)

In February , Russia breaks our alliance for good. They've done so before, but it was always restored after one or two gifts. Not so this time. Have we become too notorious, or simply too big for them? Do we have too many vassal-allies? It matters not, we will continue our conquests without them.

Here's an overview of the imperial legions, sorted by continent:
612.jpg

Near the end of the year, it is decided to take on Ming via their ally Maharasthra.

June 10 1645 sees the ascension of a new Emperor, Alexeios VI. With a 8/5/4 rating he's much better than his predecessor (who ruled for only 5 years), though I would have preferred a higher Diplomacy rating for more infamy reduction.
613.jpg

Maharasthra is quickly vassalized, leaving Deccan and Khandesh as the only independent states in India. War goes on in China.

We're making steady progress against the ill-equipped, backward Chinese, but their territory is vast and attrition is a deadly enemy.
614.jpg

When Aquileia declares war on Naples, who we have guaranteed, it's decided to conclude the conflict in the East. Because we're burdened with a huge reputation, we settle for a mere two provinces and the release of the southern states of Xia and Champa.
615.jpg

Since Aquileia has recently moved their capital to Parma, we can and will now take Friuli from them, tyding up the Trebizondian/Austrian/Aquileian border area.

War is declared on Khandesh, dragging in the Mamluks because of a warning. Both are rapidly added to our list of vassals. Deccan is still too large to make a vassal, so in a separate war, we split it in two.
616.jpg

This concludes the mopping-up era of the 1630s and '40s that -except for the colonization of New Trebizealand- mostly focused on consolidation in Eurasia. In the following decade, time has come to prepare a return to our original goals. The Sublime State of California at the end of the world!

The land farther to the east than the Far East, which as we all know, has to be the location of Paradise. Unfortunately it has been unrightfully taken by the evil Portuguese. However, the king of Portugal, long entrenched in an intricate web of alliances, has recently been elected Holy Roman Emperor...

In the year 1654, 30 thousand new troops are trained (2 sets of 6 INF, 9 CAV), and the Mediterranean/Atlantic fleet is expanded considerably to carry these troops across the ocean.
617.jpg

They are conveniently positioned in French Mesoamerica.
618.jpg

War is declared on Bohemia. Its neighbors Krakow, Poland and Trier rush to protect their Bohemian pals, and the Portuguese Emperor is pretty much obliged to help. Our ploy works: at last we are at war with Portugal!
619.jpg

In the first months of the conflict, Krakow and Poland are quickly repelled. We take Ruthenia from Poland mostly to prevent Russia from taking it. Krakow donates 500 ducats to Trebizond's treasury.

Most of the actual fighting is taking place in Northern Africa, where Portuguese Morocco borders several of my Muslim vassals. I send an army to help defeat the 20.000 Portuguese camping out there.

In Mesoamerica, one army went south to occupy the Portuguese capital in Nicaragua. Another went north, and after meeting only mild, disorganized resistance, they split up for scouting and sieging of cities.
620.jpg

(Situation as of August 1658)

The war continues to go very well, with only minimal losses for the Trebizondian side. It must be because of our Manifest Awesomity. Some minor Portuguese settlements were easily assimilated to Greek culture, and by 1660, all of New Portugal is under our control.

But since Northern and Central California have already reached city status, I have to wait for my reputation to drop. When it drops to 2 points below the maximum, a treaty is signed:
621.jpg

Well then, after more than 250 years of game time, and about 1,5 year of actual time, we have set foot on Californian soil at last, and our weary soldiers can finally recline in the sun, or figure out how to use their shields to ride the waves.

Does this conclude our epic tale of expansion? Perhaps so. At least for now.
No.. wait, there is one more thing I must share!

To the Emperor's great dismay, one of the major settlements in the recently conquered territory turned out to be named after his ancestor's arch enemies; the Angeloi! The long-dead usurpers who originally ousted the Komnenoi dynasty from Byzantium must have turned to dark magic, and (from their graves!) influenced the Portuguese colonists during the naming decision of the colony! All just to taunt Victoglorious Trebizond, of course. Curse them!

Well, history has been corrected. The City of 'Angels' (not quite actual Angels, now you know what it really refers to. More like super mutant witch zombies) has been given it's proper name. From now on this sunny city will be known as Oί Κομνηνόί, in honour of our celebrated line of Truly Rad Emperors (this explains the TRE tag). Long live Oi Komnenoi! Long live victoglorious Trebizond!

622.jpg

map1661.jpg

PS. I think this will be the last update. My goals have been achieved, there's not much challenge left, and In Nomine starts to feel strangely unpolished and antique now that I'm used to HTTT. I might post an additional map or two, we'll see.

Big thanks to all the readAARs who showed their support and enthusiasm. You know, I'm actually planning a trip to California this summer. Looking forward to it very much. And it might be that writing this AAR, with reaching the Golden State as it's ultimate goal and all, actually contributed to that decision. Or not? Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Congrats on reaching the goal. Victoglory!