• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
you mean like release murrican possesions?

The USA is in British hands right now so when the Revolution comes I'm probably going to play France and ally with them. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with Kanada yet though.

Also, sorry I missed your question about Jerusalem earlier. The AI seems to be going after Persia first because they are the biggest Muslim power around. They will get around to Syria and Egypt soon... As for Greece they incompetently lost most of it to rebels. The AI seems incapable of transporting or keeping a garrison there. Also they're stuck with the annoying "restore the holy see" mission which they won't do because of my alliance with Milan and can't cancel. I've cancelled it for them but it keeps coming back! I'm currently considering giving them cores on parts of Greece to make up for this annoyance and lack of missions that would probably be in Greece.

Hakomar: Those are words I never thought I'd hear! :blink: I try to keep it around one per week, but sometimes things go better or worse. Many thanks to all you patient readers who have stayed with me for the last few months

Erebos26: I may have to do that.

Deus Eversor: In part, though things kind of just worked out that way. Canada and Brazil were the first places I could colonize and I have a real obsession for continuous territory so future colonies stayed in those areas. Meanwhile GB took Mexico and Georgia then started moving North. Originally I had parts of New England but the Brits took Maine during one of our wars. I wouldn't worry about the US getting too strong, their population base is very low and eventually they will have to deal with Norman Texas, British Mexico, and German Canada. If anything I worry about them being too weak.

New update should be done by tonight, work and a little game called Mass Effect have kept me busy for the last week.

usa well they got strong because people immigrated, but yeah, without texas they might not become too strong, but still with south greate lakes, eastern coast and luisiana they might still get as strong as 2 otl germanies of ww1 by the ww2

Deus Eversor: Yeah, but this isn't OTL Germany, with me at the helm I'm more worried about the rest of the world being too weak. I'd love it if the US became twice as strong as me, It would make for an interesting challenge if I ever imported this into Vicky II

The Iron Cross Triumphant

Emil “the Bastard” Nov 1612 – July 1633

Born before his father wedded the Empress, Emil began his reign viewed less than favorably by the nobilities of Europe. Fortunately a marriage to princess Xenia of Muscovy and the support of his friend the Grand Marshall Johann Dahm helped him outmaneuver his political opponents and cement his hold on the imperial throne.

By all accounts Emil was a brilliant scholar and an adept warrior. His father had bestowed him a healthy appreciation for the arts and learning which evolved into lengthy tours of study at several of Europe’s most prestigious universities. Of particular interest to the young prince was the political history of the world, in particular the empires of Rome, Alexander, Charlemagne, and the Mongols. In one of his many theses he argued that three factors affected the fall of great empires: succession difficulties, incapable rulers, and overextension. Emil argued that in order for a nation to endure it must have a legitimate succession law and the wholehearted support of the majority of its citizens. While beneficial in the short term, expansion into dissimilar regions would only lead to eventual cultural strife and breakup. Stable expansion must be in small increments or into unpopulated lands which can be easily settled by one’s own people. Another byproduct of his liberal education was an appreciation for the humanists and scholastics and their nascent smithian and free market ideas. All these factors would contribute to Emil’s policies during his reign.

1RoyalCourt.jpg

The early court of Emil

The Bavarian Job

Emil’s first project was to secure the final independent German nations that his father had neglected to annex. Within months of his coronation a declaration of war was issued to the King of Bavaria, and the tiny isolated kingdom was quickly annexed. Afterwards, the longtime vassal of Tirol agreed to integrate into the Reich, though the Duke of Oldenburg still jealously guarded his independence. The following year of 1614 was quiet as Emil worked to integrate the Bavarian Protestants into the Reich with the main event of note being the birth of his son and heir Johann Leopold.

2BavPeace.jpg

Bavaria was annexed with little fuss

3AnnexVassals.jpg

Tirol was annexed but Venice would be a point of contention with Milan

Italian Politics

August Wilhelm had left Emil with two crises in Scandinavia and Italy. While the Norwegians had successfully repelled the Novgorodians, the Milanese were still locked in a stalemate with Britain. Emil continued his father’s financial support for Milan and even sold them the Italian province of Trent for a nominal sum. Emil had a great appreciation of the Italians from his studies of Rome, and believed that a united and pro-German Italy would be a useful counterweight in the Mediterranean and Africa against France and Spain. His efforts would lead to a rapport and eventual alliance with Milan, though the status of Venice and Treviso would remain a contentious issue. Finally, in 1615 Emil proclaimed a guarantee of Milan, promising aid against any foreign aggression.

Aggression arrived in 1616 when Milan was attacked by Naples, Savoy, Foix, and Switzerland, German armies in Burgundy swiftly moved into Switzerland and Savoy, winning great victories at Zurich and Piedmont. After a year of German occupation both nations quickly gave in to peace. German terms were unusually mild. Savoy was only required to give up its claims on Milanese territory, while the Swiss were actually granted a relinquishment of German claims on their lands. While this infuriated many of the Pan-German nationalists, clearer thinkers recognized the utility of a neutral Switzerland as a buffer against France and Milan.

4SavoyWar.jpg

5SwissPEace.jpg

The wars with Savoy and Switzerland were quickly ended

Even with German protection and financial assistance the Milanese were still unable to defeat the British or compete with the Royal Navy. By 1618 Emil had had enough and declared war on the British with the intent of saving Milan. Armies recently employed against the Swiss and Savoyards poured down the Italian Peninsula and with Milanese aid soon swept out the British and Neapolitans. The battle on the high seas against the British was a utter failure for Emil. Hoping to aid the Milanese he had split the home fleet in two, with half sailing to the Mediterranean. This proved a mistake as the rebuilt Royal Navy defeated both squadrons then the recombined fleet, inflicting serious damage.

9Battles.jpg

Though victorious on the land German forces suffered heavily at sea

Milan made a white peace with the British soon after they were forced out of Italy, the King Fredrick II refused Emil’s offer. With naval Supremacy the British were able to land troops in Crimea and Africa. Though the British and their Transylvanian allies were defeated by the local German army, the British gained ground in Africa taking several German settlements.

8NapPeace.jpg

Italy; peaceful after decades of constant war

With Milan secure Emil wanted to quickly end the costly war with the British. Invading the isles was not an option with his armies concentrated in the South and navies falling before the Royal Navy. In the end, he paid a small sum to King Fredrick in return for peace, joking to his court how poor the British were for eagerly accepting such a puny sum of gold. Although an operational defeat, the war with Britain had achieved Emil’s primary goal of preserving Milanese power and indebting them to Germany.

10GBPeace.jpg

The peace with Britain was a disappointment for Emil, but at least Milan remained strong

Gameplay Notes:
  • The Swiss are a nice buffer against the French and Milanese so I decided to leave them be.
  • I really bungled the naval war again, splitting up my fleets never works.
  • The Brits wouldn't sign a white peace and I just wanted to end things before they could nibble off my colonies. Income is really no issue so 25 gold is nothing for peace.

The Tranquil Years

The war to defend Milan would be the last major war for some time. Immediately after the peace with Britain was signed however Emil launched an invasion of Holland, the last independent nation on the German Atlantic coast. With no strong allies they were quickly annexed.

11HollandWar.jpg

Holland was helpless and alone before German might

During the years of peace Emil continued Augusts’ policies of supporting the arts and infrastructure of Germany. Plays, universities, and Baroque music all benefited greatly from Emil’s patronage, and Europe’s finest artists and philosophers flocked to Berlin at the Kaiser’s request.

12Kulture.jpg

Arts and education benefited greatly under Emil's guidance

The Hochseeflotte was completely rebuilt and refurbished with scores of new galleons specialized for ship to ship combat. These wargalleons would form the backbone of the home fleet for over fifty years while the older ships would be send in battle groups of ten to Africa and the Americas to protect those locales. A score of new and improved frigates were constructed at Crimea and would support the battle groups and conduct day to day anti-piracy patrols in the colonies. Emil hoped that the enlarged Hochseeflotte would be able to simultaneously dominate the colonies and defeat a Great Power’s main fleet. While the army was not expanded, new doctrines for cavalry charges and infantry organization were developed which made the German army the terror of the battlefield once more.

13MilAdvances.jpg

Swift progress was made in reforming the German army

In 1624 a group of colonists in German Kanada petitioned the Kaiser for permission to expand into the fertile Huron lands around the Great Lakes. Emil gave them consent, but forbade them to settle Iroquois lands beyond the St Lawrence river valley in hopes that the river and Great Lakes would help form a natural barrier between German and British colonies in North America. Several thousand veteran soldiers and their families were shipped to Kanada along with arms and ammunition for the campaign. Combined with the local militias the soldiers made quick work of the primitive Indians and soon secured the regions north of the Great Lakes for the Kaiser. The land was quite fertile and soon swarmed with settlers, quickly becoming an important nexus of trade in North America.

14HuronPeace.jpg

Huron lands were fertile and soon hosted prosperous German settlers

Amalric III of the Kingdom of Jerusalem continued his expansionist policies with periodic crusades against the neighboring Muslims. Although Emil supported his cousin in his wars he refused to invade Persia as there was little gain and Jerusalem could handle the Muslims on their own. Amalric could not complain however as German manufacturers supplied his armies and German banks were a major source of finance. The German - Jerusalem trade established during August Wilhelm and Amalric II’s reign also continued to tie the two nations together. A side effect of Amalric III’s belligerence was that many ambitious young men in Germany interested in a military career migrated to Jerusalem rather than joining the German army. In addition to draining the German pool of skilled generals, this immigration also resulted in a shift of German military theory towards a more defensive viewpoint, which coincidentally suited the ever increasing levels of fortification in Europe. As for Jerusalem, by the end of Emil’s reign in 1633 they had acquired half of Persia and were overrunning the remnants of Syria.

15JerusalemExpansion.jpg

The fierce crusaders in Jerusalem have driven Islam to the brink of annihilation

Gameplay Notes:
  • I'm quickly running out of heretics to bash, I was waiting for France to annex some more french minors so I could get the land easier and they literally took decades
  • Jerusalem is going nuts! I'm glad the holy war CB expires soon otherwise they'd probably end up in China

The Great Game

The late 1620’s would see a marked increase in positioning by the major powers of Europe. France went on a rampage against the last independent countries on the Franco-German border, annexing the four countries in a few years. Allowing the French to expand unchecked was unpopular with the imperial court, but it would allow for Germany to expand into the same territories with far less diplomatic repercussions in later years. As Emil put it “when Germany attacks the small helpless nations on her borders the entire world screams in protest, but when we gnaw on the heretics of France nary a word is spoken. Let the French do the dirty work and later we shall enter as liberators.”

16FranceExpands.jpg

France continues to consolidate her breakaway nations

Another of Emil’s long term goals was to connect Germany’s Crimean provinces to the fatherland. Although lines of communication were already secured by a chain of German vassals and allies Emil wished for the stronger and more economically sound benefits of absorbing the entire “Crimean corridor.” Unfortunately the desired area was off limits. The Ukrainians were allied with Milan and off limits for attack, while the Moldavians and Poles though staunch German allies were unresponsive to talks of integration. As a preliminary step to consolidation Emil launched a small war against Hungary and her Balkan allies. The small kingdom had recently fallen into heresy, giving Emil the perfect excuse to invade and annex some land bordering Ukrainian held Carpathia. The war was swift and victorious; Hungary was forced to return to Catholicism and cede Ersekujvar to Germany.

17HungaryWar.jpg

The Balkans stood no chance before German might

Annexation of the Bishopric of Moldavia was crucial to Emil’s plans for Crimea, and the local Bishop’s recent conversion to Calvinism made the time seem ripe for invasion. However, Moldavia possessed a major deterrent in their alliance with Muscovy. Emil had been intensely lobbying his brother the Czar for years, and had even established the old alliance though relations were still lukewarm. The renewed alliance was quickly shattered when Emil declared war on Moldavia in 1629 and the Muscovites rose to their defense. Despite Muscovite interference the war was a foregone conclusion. During the time the Czar needed to muster his armies to the West Emil swiftly invaded and annexed Moldavia. With no further reason for war a white peace was signed.

18MoldavianFiasco.jpg

Despite Muscovite interference Moldavia was swiftly annexed

The aftermath of the war for Moldavia saw the achievement of a longtime German goal, an alliance with Milan. The king of Milan had finally been convinced that German support was necessary for him to unite the Italian peninsula, and the betrothal of Princess Francesca to Crown Prince Johann Leopold was an irresistible bonus. The Muscovites were also brought back into the alliance, but the interests of the two nations had clearly diverged.

19Alliances.jpg

An alliance is finally signed with Milan, Queen Xenia's efforts were also crucial in re-establishing good relations with the Tsar

The German court settled into the routine once more, but the rest of the world turned swiftly. Muscovy snapped up parts of Novgorod and forced the release of Finland, while France acquired much of Brittany and declared war on the small nation of Navarra, one of the richest trading nations in the world. Across the ocean Spain completed their conquest of the Incans annexing most of their lands with small scraps going to the opportunistic Portuguese and Norwegians. Fredrick III William Davis rose to the throne of Great Britain, and Johann came of age, was introduced to the court and married princess Francesca. Shortly thereafter the happy couple produced a son Wilhelm, making Emil the first Prussian monarch to survive until the birth of his grandchildren. It was in this backdrop that Emil died in the summer of 1633. His twenty one year reign had been one of the most tranquil in German history and marked the beginnin of a series of less warlike Kaisers.

21SpainFun.jpg

Spain controls most of South America after their conquest of the Incas

22EuropeEnd.jpg

Europe at the end of Emil's reign

20Endgame.jpg

Crown Prince Johann assumes the throne after Emil's death

The Empire of Jerusalem is looking to be a dominant power in the Middle East...Let's hope they can keep up in their administrative details or it'll blow up in their face...and I mean blow up in a nuclear proportion. O_O

Deus Eversor: Neutral Switzerland is too weak to ever threaten me and keeps my southern border with Italy at two mountainous provinces. Savoy is too far to the south to do as good a job. Conflict with Milan is possible as they are allied with Ukraine and Croatia, both of which I have designs on. It's the same reason I've left Lithuania, Moldavia, and the Ukraine independent; it reduces Russian points of access to a very narrow front. France is due for a pruning, the only reason I let them gobble up the minors is that it is a lot easier for me to pummel protestant unallied France than the OPM's left from the collapse of the 1500's. My play style is extremely conservative; rather than conquer for conquests sake I try to be "smart" and efficient about expansion. Not the norm for this forum but hopefully the readers are enjoying it.

Rockingluke: I'm not sure but I think you're right. If they didn't have a 13 year long regency they'd probably be in India by now :cool:

Razgriz 2K9: Definitely, they'd probably go the way of Austria-Hungary and collapse around WWI! The AI hasn't really mastered the art of keeping armies on BOTH SIDES of its massive empire and is continually marching all their armies from East to West to deal with revolts. Muscovy has the same problem. Guess the AI wasn't supposed to do this well :laugh: I'm curious to see what they do when the Holy War CB expires.

This is a fantastic work. And it shows how RPing EU3 makes the game more enjoyable. I am dealing with the lack of challenge near end game. And I want to make a similar release of Jerusalem, but also a byzantine empire in the north to give it a rival. Can I see the code you used?

Tremendous stuff! Muscovy seems like an excellent alliance partner, secures your eastern border and might dissuade any attack on you. That way, you can decide wars on your own terms.

FellowNerd: Thanks! Here's the edited Jerusalem decision I used, nothing too elegant programming wise but it got the job done.The Wiki was helpful for it. Good luck with your current game!

Deus Eversor: Ultimate emperor? who'd want that job? all the management and paperwork and sheer tedium involved in running an unholy union of the world.... Oh wait, Daniel would love that...

Avindian: Indeed they are a useful ally, but eventually they'll probably become my most hated enemy...

Everyone, sorry about the lack of updates of late! I've been bust writing a research paper for work and the last thing I want to do after spending a day writing is go home and write! Couple that with my flash drive dying and loosing my progress on the latest update and we have a nasty storm of unproductivity. However, if anyone reads the "journal of the american ceramics society" you (hopefully) will be able to catch some of my work there! I'm not sure when I'll have the next update up but hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll be able to sort everything out.

wut paper work... meh... you only think of constitutional monarchy when i meant absolute power, like god emperror of humanity in wh40k, he had hibernated himself because there was nothing else of worth for his sword to be swung at...

Normaly not into narritive AARs. This is very very good with exquisite RP. Subscribed.