• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Samitte

Colonel
125 Badges
Feb 2, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2
Greetings everyone.

While looking just skimming through the dynasties I noticed one particular dynasty, the van Buren (Dutch for Neighbours) one. :excl: That means I can play out my families fictional history, even though I am officially not part of the dynasty any more due to my grandmother failing to arrange a Matrilineal marriage.. :rolleyes: But that aside, after a long debate with my cats I decided to go through with it and started to set the stage. First I had Duke Dirk give the county of Holland to one of his courtiers, and then I edited the save since it was impossible to play with that dynasty otherwise since the only member that keeps showing up is a council member in Sticht. After that I wrote the introduction. Now do write stories often but always in my own language. So if you have any C&C that is greatly appreciated!

Some rules I set for myself:

1. I will update this every Sunday from hereof, and play the game during the week.

2. The amount of time that passes will depend on how much happens in the game, which probably can be anything from 10 years to 50.

3. No Cheating!

4. Goals:
4a: Form the Netherlands, or what is the rough equivalent.
4b: Push into England, and take Oxford and have a chain of provinces stretching to the sea. (Because I love the place!)
4c: Claim Malta. (Because I love the island)
4d: Claim these regions of Greece or the rough equivalents: Crete, Peloponnese, Aegean, Attica, West Greece, Ionian Islands, Central Greece. (Because I..
well you get the idea..)
4e: Claim Venice. (Uhu)
4f: Have fun!

Its also my first AAR, so I hope you enjoy it! The first update I will write later today.

Cheers, Samitte

(Ohh bla, something went wrong with the picture! There is supposed to be text in there haha...)
(Aaaand fixed, enjoy!)

Last edited:
MartinvanBuren-1-1.jpg

Arthur Schopenhauer once said: ''Clio, the muse of history, is as thoroughly infected with lies as a street whore with syphilis.''

After the laughter of the students died down, the person whom they assumed was teacher took his seat and looked at their faces. ''I am surprised to see this many of you here on this great day. Happy, but surprised.''

Judging by the relatively high amount of acne, the average age of the group must have been around sixteen years old. Better set some clear lines before we start...

''Now some of you might have heard of me from your older brother or sister, but for those that haven't, I am Dave van Buren. And that means you shall address me as His Royal Highness David Herman Johannes van Buren, Prince of...'' He snickered as he saw their expressions go from 'new teacher, interesting..' to 'what the heck, the prince is a douche!'.

''Of course not, just Dave, please. You have no idea how terrible it is to hear that full name. Ohh yes, the first one that calls me mister D, will spend the rest of the week in detention. Are we clear?'' Some yeaps, yups, yes and a majority of nods later it was time to start.

''Welcome to this special class, The History of an Empire!'' Ah, now he really had their attention. Who knows, this might even be fun in the long run. ''For the next few months, we will gather here every Sunday with the upcoming festivities in mind. A millennium, an exact thousand years of the history of your country is what we will move through. We will do this in several stages.''

Stage One: Stage one will focus on rise of the van Buren dynasty, the founding dynasty of our nation and the turbulent Dark Ages in which they lived, and the Road to Enlightenment they put this country on.

Stage Two: In this stage we will broaden our view. While the theatre of the Dark Ages was mainly set in Europe and around the Mediterranean Sea, this all changed in the 15th century. The end of feudalism had arrived and many countries started to look beyond Europe to the far east, west and south.

Stage Three: The birth of modern politics. While the basic form of republic has been around for more then two centuries, power was always in the hands of the upper class. The vast majority of the people were uneducated and had little to no voice. And they were ready to change that. On top of that we will also take a look at some of the Great Wars that happened during these times and how the industry we know today started its rise.

Stage Four: The final stage. We all know the story of the last Great War. Especially from the perspective of the most powerful nations. We will instead take a greater look at the effects of the War on some of the other countries in the world, and what exactly happened with our colonies.

''Now, any questions? Else we begin at chapter One. The Grant of Holland.''

Last edited:
But that aside, after a long debate with my cats I decided to go through with it and started to set the stage.)

Good man, always heed the advice of your cats.

This looks promising, I like the goals you have set yourself and the choice of county, I'll keep an eye on this.