• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It crashes to the desktop. No message.
There's a txt file in your Darkest Hour Folder which is called 'Savedebug'. Open it and scroll down. You should find a few lines mentioning what caused the error/crash.

There's a txt file in your Darkest Hour Folder which is called 'Savedebug'. Open it and scroll down. You should find a few lines mentioning what caused the error/crash.
Of all the long text, the only error related line was the following: ERROR : (Illegal model 6 for HQ) 'hq = {' Line = 76428 file = Mods\The Grand Campaign\scenarios\save games\autosave.eug

Note that my other saved game files with names like Soviet Union_1958 (or any other year after that) or even the oldautosave files all have the same problem not just the autosave.eug file.

Of all the long text, the only error related line was the following: ERROR : (Illegal model 6 for HQ) 'hq = {' Line = 76428 file = Mods\The Grand Campaign\scenarios\save games\autosave.eug

Note that my other saved game files with names like Soviet Union_1958 (or any other year after that) or even the oldautosave files all have the same problem not just the autosave.eug file.
It could be an issue caused by a Scenario-related placement for a HQ unit.

So how can I solve th problem? Delete all HQ's on the map? This problem happened several times with both the latest and the previous version of the mod.
I'm not much of a modder and I'm taking a break from DH, but the last HQ model in TGC is Model 5 (1946). So a model 6 is ether "unlocked" in the tech tree but there's no ability to build one or upgrade to one because the game doesn't provide for one. If this is the case, maybe create an HQ model 6 in the unit folder for HQs by copy and pasting the info for HQ model 5. You'll have to create a model icon too for it. Again, just copy and paste the model 5 icon and rename it model 6. I have no idea if this will work so maybe someone else will have a better and correct idea?

I guess you could also look in the tech tree files for the land units or land doctrines and see which tech unlocks HQ model 6 (and subsequent HQ models) and delete that line?

Reactions:

Open up autosave.eug in Notepad or Notepad++ and see what's on line 76428. Does it say this:

hq = { 6 5 4 3 2 1 } ?

If so, you could just delete the 6 so it says this:

hq = { 5 4 3 2 1 }

Thanks, but there is no '6' in mine: hq = { 5 4 3 2 1 } What else could we try? I tried adding the 6, thinking it was lacking a 6. But that did not work either.
I found hq = { 6 5 4 3 2 1 } 16 times in my savegame and one hq = { 6 5 3 2 1 }: I just changed all to hq = { 5 4 3 2 1 } and it works: Sorry - I have no other idea how to solve this issue or how to avoid this while saving

Last edited:
Just started playing this mod since the custom one I used to have was in my stolen laptop. Only played a year into it as Spain and the Russia and Serbia were defeated by January 1915 and France is being overrun and about to fall. Loaded up as France and noticed that they are not reinforcing their divisions despite have plenty of manpower. Anyone else experience this? I'll start a new game and keep testing, but wanted to see if this is an issue for this mod.

Edit: I went back and installed a couple of the fixes posted in this thread and it seems to have helped. I think the one for division and brigade modifiers is a pretty important one, so hopefully my first game was an anomaly.

This post has the fix for the modifiers if anyone wants it:

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Bravo! The best mod for darkest hour! I just want to say thank you, the mod creator, and also post #174 for some of the important fixes.
Here is my world conquest screenshot. I conquered the world in "Very Hard" difficulty and "aggressive" AI in 1954.
For WW2 to start, I think Soviet Union, Germany, France, England, Spain, Poland, Austria and Czech must exist.
In my game, Japan never Pearl Habour no matter what, Germany never declares war to the Soviets no matter what.

I knew about this mod in the year when it was originally released on the forum too. Back in the day, the game always crashed in 1931- 1933 due to unknown reasons.
Now, in 2023, the mod works! Although there are still many bugs in WW1 and WW2, which I will show you. but most importantly, there are no crashes! As a result, I was able to play from WW1 to the cold war, a true 20th century experience.

I played the newest version 2021 grand campaign mod twice. In my first attempt, the game was a buggy, stupid mess. I originally started as Guangxi Clique and later turned into the national protection Alliance,
There was a placeholder event that made my IC -100%, effectively from 120 IC to 0 IC, and WW2 not starting, because Austria got killed by Czech. (No Anschluss) so I decided to end the campaign.
On the next day,, I suddenly realized that, actually, there were no crashes! A significant improvement from when the mod was originally released!
so I decided to give the mod another shot, being the Opponent Chinese empire and defeated the Chinese Nationalists quickly.
I was able to put my factories that I spent years developing to good use in WW2, and conquered the world in 1954.

World conquest in 1954
wc1.jpg

Bug number 1
In 1926, there is a placeholder event for Nationalist China inside the TCP events, in the TGC-CCIP folder called "The Northern Expedition placeholder",
The event happens in 1926, it reduces wartime IC by -30%, and peacetime IC by -50%. This means if you pick the "hard" difficulty event option that reduces -15% IC, with -50% peacetime IC reduction, and -40% IC reduction in the game's "very hard" modifiers. 15% + 50% + 40%. equal to, you guess it, 105%.
So you IC goes from 120 to 0, wow, nearly 0 factory, no replenishment, no production, and no money production.
I guess the Chinese Empire is suppose to defeat the republicans and conquer the world instead. (not in real life)
wc2.jpg

wc3.jpg

Bug Number 2
The Czech declared war to Austria in a territory dispute, and Czech killed Austria, well guess what, no Anschluss, and that means NO WW2,
Peaceful mustache man in 1940?
wc4.jpg

This is a stupid mess, so I decided to end the campaign, and play as the nationalist's opponent Chinese Empire

I was developing my economy until the 1930s, then I saw this
Bug Number 3

Russian Civil war never, ever ends, it's 1929 already, and the war looks like this, without my help, the soviets would be still fighting the Russian Empire in 1941. (Since it is so bugged Germany never declares war to USSR anyways)
wc5.jpg

Bug Number 4 & 5
Japan Never Pearl Habour, Germany Never Barbarossa

It's the year 1942,
wc6.jpg

What is wrong with you Japan!
Fine! If you don't do it, I will do it
wc7.jpg

Germany AI never barbarossa despite the decision is available
wc8.jpg

wc9.jpg

After WW2....
Screenshot of 11 million Axis members hanging out in Siberia
If you always like to chicken and not attack, why don't you all hangout in Siberia!
(military control then proceeds to massacre the entire axis)
wc10.jpg

World conquest

Attachments

• wc2.jpg
    wc2.jpg
    518,3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions:
Bravo! The best mod for darkest hour! I just want to say thank you, the mod creator, and also post #174 for some of the important fixes.
Here is my world conquest screenshot. I conquered the world in "Very Hard" difficulty and "aggressive" AI in 1954.
For WW2 to start, I think Soviet Union, Germany, France, England, Spain, Poland, Austria and Czech must exist.
In my game, Japan never Pearl Habour no matter what, Germany never declares war to the Soviets no matter what.

I knew about this mod in the year when it was originally released on the forum too. Back in the day, the game always crashed in 1931- 1933 due to unknown reasons.
Now, in 2023, the mod works! Although there are still many bugs in WW1 and WW2, which I will show you. but most importantly, there are no crashes! As a result, I was able to play from WW1 to the cold war, a true 20th century experience.

I played the newest version 2021 grand campaign mod twice. In my first attempt, the game was a buggy, stupid mess. I originally started as Guangxi Clique and later turned into the national protection Alliance,
There was a placeholder event that made my IC -100%, effectively from 120 IC to 0 IC, and WW2 not starting, because Austria got killed by Czech. (No Anschluss) so I decided to end the campaign.
On the next day,, I suddenly realized that, actually, there were no crashes! A significant improvement from when the mod was originally released!
so I decided to give the mod another shot, being the Opponent Chinese empire and defeated the Chinese Nationalists quickly.
I was able to put my factories that I spent years developing to good use in WW2, and conquered the world in 1954.

World conquest in 1954
View attachment 963897

Bug number 1
In 1926, there is a placeholder event for Nationalist China inside the TCP events, in the TGC-CCIP folder called "The Northern Expedition placeholder",
The event happens in 1926, it reduces wartime IC by -30%, and peacetime IC by -50%. This means if you pick the "hard" difficulty event option that reduces -15% IC, with -50% peacetime IC reduction, and -40% IC reduction in the game's "very hard" modifiers. 15% + 50% + 40%. equal to, you guess it, 105%.
So you IC goes from 120 to 0, wow, nearly 0 factory, no replenishment, no production, and no money production.
I guess the Chinese Empire is suppose to defeat the republicans and conquer the world instead. (not in real life)
View attachment 963908
View attachment 963933

Bug Number 2
The Czech declared war to Austria in a territory dispute, and Czech killed Austria, well guess what, no Anschluss, and that means NO WW2,
Peaceful mustache man in 1940?
View attachment 963911

This is a stupid mess, so I decided to end the campaign, and play as the nationalist's opponent Chinese Empire

I was developing my economy until the 1930s, then I saw this
Bug Number 3

Russian Civil war never, ever ends, it's 1929 already, and the war looks like this, without my help, the soviets would be still fighting the Russian Empire in 1941. (Since it is so bugged Germany never declares war to USSR anyways)
View attachment 963915

Bug Number 4 & 5
Japan Never Pearl Habour, Germany Never Barbarossa

It's the year 1942,
View attachment 963916
What is wrong with you Japan!
View attachment 963917

Germany AI never barbarossa despite the decision is available
View attachment 963918

View attachment 963919

After WW2....
Screenshot of 11 million Axis members hanging out in Siberia
If you always like to chicken and not attack, why don't you all hangout in Siberia!
(military control then proceeds to massacre the entire axis)
View attachment 963921
World conquest
Wow, looks like you had a fun campaign. I've played a few campaigns (normal/normal) and each one was very different. One thing I noticed, the Reds lose the Civil almost every time, so I try to help them by sending them blue prints and resources. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't matter. In my current Argentine Campaign, Germany and UK are allied, defeated France, and have been at war with the U.S. since the 1920s. I think because the U.S. invaded Canada for some reason. It's now the early 40s. The U.S. is now at war with Japan also which still pulled off a Pearl Harbor.

It's a very fun campaign, but I approach it like a sandbox and don't expect things to unfold historically. Although there are many historic events included in the mod throughout each decade. If you want WW1 to conclude historically, play as France and hold the line, then save after the Armistice. Remember to help the Reds as much as you can so the Russian Civil War ends historically (if you want). Then you can play as any nation during the interwar period, and WW2 "should" happen.

Anyone with good modding skills still playing this mod? I'm trying to clean up the Guided Missile Destroyer (DDG) techs. It keeps referencing "ranger battalion" in game, but when I look at the files, I can find no reference to ranger battalions and the tech is creating and modifying the correct division type (d_06) and no other divisions or brigades as far as I can tell. Any tips or ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

I have the Putin mod. Are all the modern day mods dead? It occurred to me that this game does not translate well to modern day, but not because it can't. In the missile age, rapidly deployable, powerful units with a very high chance of being destroyed(used up) characterized as 'missile systems' should be added as 'brigades' to air, land, and naval units. Platforms will still have their organic value, but 'missile systems' will be the game changer they actually are; each with it's own range and strength. Techs would have to be added, and whether a single tech should affect the availability of a group of missiles, or a single system, is up to how complex the modder wants to make it. SAM, ASM. AAM, BM and AGM types can be added. This will add the cost of these systems as well. I think the code in the game is already there. Ask me to help. I'd be willing to help with assessing combat values.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Anyone with good modding skills still playing this mod? I'm trying to clean up the Guided Missile Destroyer (DDG) techs. It keeps referencing "ranger battalion" in game, but when I look at the files, I can find no reference to ranger battalions and the tech is creating and modifying the correct division type (d_06) and no other divisions or brigades as far as I can tell. Any tips or ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Can you post a pic please?

Edit: I found the error. The destroyer is Model 46 and the Rangers Model 56 but the Rangers are there twice (46 and 56).

Try to delete lines 125 to 146 in Mods.csv (located in config folder). Thats how it looks in All in One Mod (Names for DDG are shwon correct in my game)

Last edited:
Can you post a pic please?

Edit: I found the error. The destroyer is Model 46 and the Rangers Model 56 but the Rangers are there twice (46 and 56).

Try to delete lines 125 to 146 in Mods.csv (located in config folder). Thats how it looks in All in One Mod (Names for DDG are shwon correct in my game)
Thank you! That worked! I think I searched in "every" file except for that file..... o_O

Thanks!