• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 2: Aragon gets stupid

As of April 1, 1400, I have merchants to send and Andalucia is now filled. A quick gander at the CoT screen will let me explain my simple trading formula: take the highest CoT that has the highest value of 2 * success chance * CoT value. In essence, I want the highest chance to place a merchant that will bring back the most money. Simple. Later, this will get harder, as my compete chance in foreign CoT's will be 1 only because Paradox believes in giving a sporting chance.
C2_001_CoTpage4-1-1400.png

A quick look at Portugal later in April shows that Portugal must have moved the a slider and kicked off a nice big rebel stack. Luckily for them, they start with one of the best generals in the game, but Noble Rebels generally get decent generals and they reinforce (from the infinite rebel manpower pool, instead of the wimpy Portuguese manpower pool). This will provide me with a lot of future amusement.
C2_002_Portugalsrebels.png

On May 6, 1500, Aragon decides to show off IN's handy alliance AI...i.e. that the AI generally won't take stabhits to join any war that might potentially be dangerous, unless there is a lot of trust, or some cores at stake. I defend Navarra, and Aragon's allies suddenly remember that they need to reorganize their sock drawers.
C2_003_AragonDoWsNavarra5-6-1400.png

In response, I raise 6 regiments of cavalry to counteract the starting Aragonese king who usually rocks. Also, if Castille is human controlled, bet on Aragon, France, and Portugal being lucky. As you can see, Granada is already armyless and under full siege.
C2_004_Beefingup.png

Our fears of King Marti are justified - he's 5 shock. This will get humiliating...especially since I've made my first mistake of the game - I forgot to up my army maintenance after I dropped it once Granada's armies were dead. Beating a 5 shock king is hard enough with morale...
C2_005_5shockMarti.png

...and a lot harder without it, leading to a thrashing that mercifully ends on July 16th. Sad part - I nailed them right after a failed assault, so the infantry wasn't even fighting, it was 6 cavalry wailing on 3 cavalry.
C2_006_1stBattleofNavarra.png

In October I try again (still without noticing the lack of maintenance), and even with more regiments, I get pummelled by November 23rd.
C2_007_BattleofPirineo.png

Enrique's advisors finally notice that the army wants to be paid, and on May 15th, 1401, Castille scores it's first military victory against Aragon - apparently, Aragon ran away after they realized how tiring it is it keep butchering Castillian cavalry.
C2_008_2ndBattleofNavarra.png

A little bit of chasing nets a dead Aragonese regiment on July 16th in Girona, and then the main force gets beaten on July 4th.
C2_009_1stBattleofGirona.png

Apparently, beating Aragonese makes France like to marry off daughters, so we accept a royal marriage with France on July 4th. Maybe I'll inherit! :D
C2_010_2ndBattleofGirona.png

Finally on July 12th, two good things happen: Granada is forced to pay 25 ducats and cede Almeria and Gibraltar, and Enrique forces Marti to surrender his entire army in Rousillon. The Granadan war is done, and the war with Aragon is now down to sieges.
C2_011_1stBattleofRousillon.png

I noticed in one of your screenshots that France offered you a royal marriage... I hope you won't be marrying anybody who owns a CoT!! :p

If I inherit France, I'll find a way to deal. :)

Chapter 3: Dismantling Aragon

Aug 6, 1401 - Now that we have 9 merchants placed, people start getting jealous. I'm just irresistible that way. To avoid getting swarmed with trade agreements from tiny German minors, we accept the first one that comes along, since it's from Denmark. Avoiding competition from Hansa members is a good thing (until Denmark ceases to exist, that is).
C3_012_TADenmark.png

I like sending royal marriages out in groups. I don't really know why..here Milan, Naples, and England accept, and an advisor is fired for sending the ugly stepsister to Austria.
C3_013_RM1.png

January 24th, 1402 - oh crap! We forgot to get advisors on October 14th, 1400! A quick look at the remaining batch of losers confirms that nothing good shall come from this. 3 weak theologians are picked. We'll take some decisions after the war from the theologians, but other than that, this sucks.
C3_014_OoopsAdvisors.png

Feb 15, 1402: Enrique III dies, leaving Spain to Enrique IV. Enrique is a good military king, but not so good at diplomacy or administration. Apparently, the engine knows that even an idiot can run Castille.
C3_015_EnriqueIV.png

Navarra takes Aragon (the province) and peaces out for 15 ducats on May 22. No killer instinct, I tell you.

January 19, 1403 - a quick gander at England sees that they have a mission to Vassalize Scotland. A future plan may involve storing large armies in Scotland and guaranteeing them, but at the moment I'm busy.
C3_016_Englandsmission.png

Feb 2: Aragon falls, and Scotland gives us access.

Feb 26: The Baleares fall, completing the occupation of Aragon. The AI stupidly didn't put their navy there to keep me from landing troops, even though Aragon's navy is far better than Castille's in the Med (galleys are far better than carracks in the 1400's in inland seas).

Aragon gives up Rousillon (which France has a core on), Aragon, Pirineo, Girona, and the Baleares. No more chasing Aragonese islands down. Best part - they still have the mission to vassalize Navarra (and are usually dumb enough to try again).
C3_017_Aragoncedes5provinces.png

June 11: France declares war on England. How completely unexpected. :rofl: Since we're done with Aragon, I go ahead and guarantee Scotland.

A quick gander at Portugal shows that they're in deep merde. 2 rebel controlled provinces, and the army is outnumbered by the rebels - still.
C3_018_PORsrebelsagain.png

Nov 11: Enrique IV manages to capture a majority of the curia. The reputation bonus and stab cost bonus are nice.

Dec 10: France decides they don't need a Navy anymore.
C3_019_Francelosesanavy.png

July 1, 1404: Gov Tech 4! National Trade Policy is adopted. +10 TE gives +5 compete chance as well, so NTP is always better than Shrewd Commerce Policy, unless your compete chance is really really really bad. Strategy note here: if France attacks, I'll swap to Military Drill, since France usually has it.

Aug 6: Brittany becomes a vassal of England, and Enrique learns of corruption in his government. Rooting it out will cost 1 stab. Easy come, easy go, apparently.

Denmark and Scotland accept royal marriages, but Bavaria and Austria do not.
C3_020_RM2.png

September 19th: Portugal's army is dead, and half the country is rebel controlled. A new government is neigh.
C3_021_PORsrebelswin.png

January 1, 1405 status:
  • Andalucia has 40 (11.11% increase) provinces trading there, for a value of 381.50 (33.69% increase).
  • Castille's monthly income is now 51.3 (106% increase). The 21 placed merchants help.
  • Castille now has 28 provinces (33% increase).

Last edited:
If you own a CoT that has a value of less than 500 (I think that's the threshold, but don't quote me), you can disband it and lose 25 prestige.

If you have a province that trades to someone else's CoT and does not border a province with a CoT, you can build one for 500 ducats.

Both are introduced with IN (I believe).

NA also has these options.

Good to see a new AAR, keep France off your back for now... maybe be you should do a Provence -ally France and drag her into your wars until she is useless, then get Ile-de-France :D

Nice!

I really like your AARs, very well done. Even though I was only a lurker on your previous one, I will definitely be following this one through, hopefully.

Nice work as usual. I think you may have taken the goal a notch down from the France goal, because that was quite impressive. I wish you luck!

Chapter 4: Italian Ambitions, Part 1

As often happens when I play, I try to strike a balance between long term goals and opportunism. One downside to this is that the AI is just as opportunistic, so you have to be careful not to overextend.

In this case, my success against Aragon leaves me with Rousillon - a French core. Owning a French core in the early 1400's is like slathering yourself in steak sauce and doing a striptease with a bunch of similar people in front of a tiger - exciting for a very short while, and you never know what order you'll be eaten in.

Feb 7, 1405: Enrique offers France military access. Since there's a -5 stabhit for DoW'ing someone you have access in, France will cancel the access if she plans on declaring war. This will give me some warning. After this, Enrique sends waves of diplomats to try and trade France's entire treasury for Rousillon. This may take a while.
C4_022_FranceMA.png

March 1: Portugal offers an RM. Since I am trying to get Portugal to attack Morocco and let me take them out defensively, this is good - maybe I'll inherit. April 1: Portugal finally collapses. This means now they have 2 good generals, and an army.
C4_023_PORcollapsesandmarries.png

August 10: Gibraltar converts.
C4_024_Gibraltarconverts.png

March 12, 1406: France buys Rousillon for 400 ducats. I will spend it much more wisely than they will (sagely nods).
C4_025_FrancebuysRousillon.png

April 4: Now that France is not an immediate threat, Enrique sends a warning to Milan not to attack anyone. This is for 2 reasons: the Italian Ambition mission will give us cores on all the provinces we take in the next war, and Milan and the Pope are the two most aggressive Italian states that have territory in the western half of Italy. War with the Pope risks excommunication - and the AI is not shy about excommunicating you if you get out of hand.

July 1: Almeria converts. Castille is now 100% Catholic again.

January 1, 1407: Algiers takes Atlas, Mellila and Figuig from Morocco. This means 2 wars to get the Barbary Pirates Defeated modifier.

September 10: Scotland's king suffers from suicidal depression and declares war on England. In IN 3.1, a thousand monkeys are more likely to write the works of Shakespeare than Scotland is likely to beat England.

May 3, 1408: Trade 4.

May 23: Several prominent Castillian nobles die while picking their nose with their swords, prompting calls to consider less dangerous weapons for the army.
C4_026_LandTechResearchUseless.png

June 7: Granada surrenders to Castille. It was so exciting, I forgot to take a screenshot when I declared war, and when I won the siege, I was surprised because I didn't remember declaring war. Missionaries are sent.
C4_027_Granadaannexed.png

Enrique IV buys mushrooms from a Moroccan trader in Andalucia and keels over on September 15th, 1409. His imaginatively named son, Enrique V, becomes king. Enrique is a great administrator - if I were Rastar, Duke of Wellington, or PrawnStar, I could westernize...
C4_028_EnriqueV.png

Sometimes, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Like on October 13th, 1409, when Milan declares war on the Pope, bringing Genoa, Mantua, and Castille in to defend the Pope. Milan is split in half, with Modena cutting Milan's southern territories from the north.
C4_029_MilanDoWsPope.png

March 3, 1410: Venice declares war on Milan, bringing Bohemia in to defend Milan.

The war turns out to be simple: Milan's southern armies get crushed by the Pope and Venice, and Milan's northern armies get pingponged by Castille, as the Milanese had embraced Military Drill.

September 10: Granada converts.

April 11, 1411: Castille becomes more narrowminded, and a holy man arrives (level 3 Theologian). The new theologian replaces a 1 star.
C4_030_Narrowmindedmove.png

June 3: Milan's last province falls, leaving Milan split 4 ways: 3 provinces to Venice, 1 to the Pope, 2 to Castille, and 2 to Modena.
C4_031_Milanoccupiedbyeveryone.png

Chapter 5: Italian Ambitions, Part 2

With the occupation complete, my erstwhile allies start suing for peace. On June 6th, 1411, Mantua peaces out for Brescia. On July 5th, the Pope peaces out in exchange for the release of Urbino. Venice peaces out on November 12th for Verona. Luckily, I planned ahead, and had troops sitting in all the territories occupied by my allies - as soon as Milan gets them back, the sieges start again.

January 9, 1412: Aragon decides to try and attack Navarra again. If at first you don't succeed and get cut in half, try again? Yet again, we're the leader.
C5_032_AragonDoWsNavarraagain.png

February 1: Jean II of Aragon learns why you don't declare war on someone when the very large nation next door has warned you and is sitting with a cavalry stack almost twice as big as your entire army. Kicker: they retreat from Barcelona to Valencia, where a large nasty stack of heretics is sieging. We also get Trade 5.
C5_033_1stBattleofBarcelona.png

July 12th: The final siege in Milan ends, and peace is declared. Milan is reduced to a two province minor after ceding Pisa, Siena, and Firenze, which immediately become cores. The map of Northern Italy looks quite a bit different now. Best part: all 3 provinces also have Universities.
C5_034_Milansurrenders3.png

Our new mission: get an alliance with Urbino. Chance: Very Unlikely. Pass.
C5_035_Mission5.png

Next mission: Royal marriage with France, to lose 1 badboy. Done. Next - the AI decides we need to max out our land forcelimits. Not gonna, and can't cancel for 5 years.
C5_036_Mission67.png

August 1: We now accept Lombard due to the new territories and cores.

March 10, 1413: Enrique realizes he forgot that report he was sent 9 months ago about some rebellion in Gibraltar...because a messenger tells him the province has fallen. Whoopsie! Troops are sent to kill the rebels and retake the province. If you were expecting perfection, this isn't the AAR for you. :rofl:
C5_037_Gibraltarfallstorebels.png

October 2: Aragon cedes Valencia and Alicante, becoming an OPM. The war was really really exciting: crush Aragon's army, watch heretics kill Aragon's army, crush Aragon's army, watch heretics kill Aragon's army, destroy Aragon's army, destroy Heretics, siege, siege, siege, win.
C5_038_Aragoncedes2.png

November 23rd: Enrique learns that he controls enough cardinals to control the Pope. Fleets are sent out to look at Naples as a possible target, only to have control pass to Hungary before the fleets get over there.

November 1, 1415: The peasantry sights a meteor. Royal investigators fail to convince people that it was a reflection from swamp gas...
C5_039_MeteorSighted.png

men_in_black_movie_image_tommy_lee_jones_and_will_smith.jpg

February 17th, 1416: Apparently, meteors cause decadence, and another drop in stability.
C5_040_Decadence.png

March 1: Venice has the mission to Advance up the Po Valley, so we warn 'em.
C5_041_Venicesmission.png

Jambor: OPMs will start drawing more guarantees soon. I plan on Excommunicating them then DoWing once they're set up.

phargle: Early on, good relationships are useful, so that's why. I only accepted 1.
Enewald: Exactly. The downside is that it'll make my future manufactories more expensive, and the other ones are better in that they also increase demand for certain products.

Inner Circle: I don't want to diplo-annex, and they're allied to Portugal. Eventually they'll do something dumb - they always do. Aragon's AI is suicidal.

Jaspume: Thank you! I want to see how far I can get without a stabhit to DoW...

Chapter 6: The Hapsburg Strategy

As you've no doubt noticed so far, I've avoided tangling directly with France. Two reasons - France's provinces are richer and have higher manpower than mine. While it's possible I could beat France at this stage, the faster I expand, the easier it will be to turn around and club them upside the head - especially once I get to the "Native Piggy Bank" part of the game.

April 6, 1916: Burgundy (who I warned) declares war on Lorraine. The Burgundy AI targets Lorraine pretty consistently, in an attempt to link up the two domains. Burgundy's allies wisely decide to not join in. We're in control (again).
C6_042_BuirgundyDoWsLorraine.png

May 1: Burgundy embargos Castille. This sucks, since I have 3 merchants in Antwerpen who are about to drop like flies.

Sept 1: Lorraine surrenders, given that Castillian armies are not yet capable of teleporting. Barrois is ceded to Burgundy.

Oct 17: Enrique's government catches a ring of officials involved in war profiteering. The lead official, Ricardo Cheney, is locked in a man-sized safe as punishment. Our stability has now dropped from +3 to 0 in a short period of time.
C6_043_Corruption.png

Castillian armies make contact with the Burgudian armies in their French and Dutch holdings, leading to a 2 month long campaign that results in their destruction in late December. Castillian armies settle down to siege.
C6_044_BattlesofVlaandernandArtois.png

However, the big question is...where are the rest of the Burgundian armies? In May 1417, the Castillians find out...
C6_045_Burgundysarmiesappear.png

Enrique lets the last few sieges finish, then quickly dispatches a peace offer in September for Vlaandern, Brabant, and Artois, before Burgundy can chew a path through the defenseless homeland. Vlaandern and Brabant are helpful because they are 2/3rds of the way to encircling Antwerpen.
C6_046_Burgundycedes3.png

A quick look at our new holdings shows we forgot something important: France has a core on Artois. Enrique sells Artois back to Burgundy for 200 ducats.
C6_047_SellArtoisbacktoBurgundy.png

Burgundy now has a mission to Conquer Liege, so we warn them again.
C6_048_Burgundysmission.png

Earlier, Mantua had gotten in a war of succession against Austria, for the throne of Naples. On April 24th, 1418, word comes that Mantua won the war, getting 150 ducats and the union with Naples. Wow.
C6_049_MantuabeatsAustria.png

May 1, 1418: Stability increases to +1. Investment is switched to stability.

May 4: Burgundy asks for Military Access. Why not?

July 19: 2 stacks of rebels pop in Valencia, and wipe out 6 regiments of cavalry, lead by Enrique himself. 10 regiments are recruited to wipe the rebels out.
C6_050_Rebelsbeat6cavregiments.png

Nov. 13: With stability due to increase to 2, Enrique declares himself Emperor Enrique, resulting in stability dropping from +1 to -2. Note: Empire is FAR better than Feudal Monarchy or Despotic Monarchy, because those two governments have quite a few nasty events tied to them - many of them cause stability loss.

Dec 1: Stability rises to -1.

Jan 1, 1419: Trade tech 6. 1 more to QFTNW!

May 19th: Burgundy embargoes us.

July 1: Stability rises to 0.

Aug 12: Watching the advisor pool (for lack of anything better to do) nets us a 5 star statesman. Woot!

Nov 26: More watching turns up a 6 star Artist. Investment goes back to trade. The pieces are being set for QFTNW...
C6_051_Newadvisors.png