• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, June 4th 2024 at around 8:00 CT / 14:00 UTC for up to a couple of hours.
  • We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hero_dazhu

Private
Nov 27, 2023

Information​

When reporting a crash, stability or performance problems, please ensure that you have the files ready for submission​

[CLICK] I understand

Required​

Summary​

The game cannot be started

Steps to reproduce​

start the game from Steam, then entered the Paradox Launcher. Clicking the Resume or Play buttons in the launcher, the launcher disappear. The "stop" button in the Steam page become "start".

Expected Result​

It is expected to enter the game.

Actual Result​

the game not started, the launcher gone.

Game Version​

1.1.2F1

Affected Feature​

• Crash

Platform​

• Steam

Save Game​

View attachment AutoSave06-五月-12-21-59.cok

Crash Dump and Logs​

View attachment Player.log

Additional Information​

Screenshot or Video​

View attachment Player.log

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same issue. Have played before but then one update.... gone
Same here. You are not alone. Can't play since a couple of days. I have the exact same problem.
Do you both find that creating and using a new Windows use profile lets you play the game, as the OP here does?

If not you have a different issue than this thread is about. best to each make your own new threads, with full problem history and game log files. Thanks.

Do you both find that creating and using a new Windows use profile lets you play the game, as the OP here does?
Surprisingly it worked. At least I can play now, even when I have to switch to the new Windows profile [edit 2: not longer required]

Edit: But tbh I doubt that this is only a Windows issue when I could play couple days ago before the CS II update. And especially I noticed that with my main Windows profile that I can play with my old savegame. With the new profile there is no savegame. I deinstalled the game before and did a new install (not deleted old folders before).

But how is this possible when both profiles use the same game path but only with one profile I can continue my old savegame? Maybe I have to delete an old file in my
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order\Cities Skylines II?

Edit 2: Yes, it worked!
Like I said, it could not be just a Windows problem. I thought it could be a corrupted file because I forced a shutdown on the game and then it wouldn't start again.

Here is my solution path:
I copied the savegames somewhere else just to be sure. Then I deleted the whole file "Cities Skylines II" in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order. I started the game, had to accept all the T&Cs again and it works fine. I closed the game and copied the savegame files back to their place and startet the game again with my old savegames. Works like a charm!

Thanks for your help and I hope my solution will help other players too :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Surprisingly it worked. At least I can play now, even when I have to switch to the new Windows profile [edit 2: not longer required]

Edit: But tbh I doubt that this is only a Windows issue when I could play couple days ago before the CS II update. And especially I noticed that with my main Windows profile that I can play with my old savegame. With the new profile there is no savegame. I deinstalled the game before and did a new install (not deleted old folders before).

But how is this possible when both profiles use the same game path but only with one profile I can continue my old savegame? Maybe I have to delete an old file in my

Like I said, it could not be just a Windows problem. I thought it could be a corrupted file because I forced a shutdown on the game and then it wouldn't start again.

I copied the savegames somewhere else just to be sure. Then I deleted the whole file "Cities Skylines II" in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order. I started the game, had to accept all the T&Cs again and it works fine. I closed the game and copied the savegame files back to their place and startet the game again with my old savegames. Works like a charm!

yea actually a player founded this workabout... so we just spread it around, it is good theres one way thats working. LOL

If not you have a different issue than this thread is about. best to each make your own new threads, with full problem history and game log files. Thanks.
Are you serious?
Why would I need to reinstall windows when all other games work fine? It worked before, but not since some update? Can't they fix it? I feel scammed
Buying a new computer would also help. I sure won't do that
Paradox needs to figure out what causes this problem not me reinstalling windows after every update

Are you serious?
Why would I need to reinstall windows when all other games work fine? It worked before, but not since some update? Can't they fix it? I feel scammed
Paradox needs to figure out what causes this problem not me reinstalling windows after every update
New windows user profile, not fresh windows install...

Are you serious?
Please read the whole thread carefully for the solution, esp. my answer. Maybe you don't need a new windows profile either.

The game still doenst run for me, but I have concluded the following:
- There was no paradox launcher in my main windows user profile. Steam launched some kind of CS2 only version of the launcher.
- It automatically installed the launcher in my second windows user profile
- Logging in to the launcher without steam won't show me any games
- Starting the game trough steam while having the launcher open doesn't start the launcher and the start button on steam goes back to "play"
I'm thinking the issue has something to do with the paradox launcher. Maybe that's why you don't have to switch back anymore, because it is now installed correctly trough your second user profile. Can you confirm this?

Last edited:
The game still doenst run for me, but I have concluded the following:
- There was no paradox launcher in my main windows user profile. Steam launched some kind of CS2 only version of the launcher.
- It automatically installed the launcher in my second windows user profile
- Logging in to the launcher without steam won't show me any games
- Starting the game trough steam while having the launcher open doesn't start the launcher and the start button on steam goes back to "play"
I'm thinking the issue has something to do with the paradox launcher. Maybe that's why you don't have to switch back anymore, because it is now installed correctly trough your second user profile. Can you confirm this?
You just can link your steam account to your PDX account if you just want to launch game through launcher. May not be related but are you using launcher beta? beta is currently ver 8.
Also steam recently updated . Make sure all your drivers are updated too.
Restarting PC helps some.
Try it with your second profile since that have launcher.
Delete log folder , any game cache before you start
Upload your player.log if you still can't play.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Unbelievable.
I was looking for the player.log (didn't know there was one)
When I read it it said the game kept loading mods. Very strange since I've done multiple clean installs and multiple cache wipes.
I completely forgot that I had mods back in december. I looked up what files to remove for a deinstall and withouth reinstalling the game it now finally starts.
....to think this was the issue

Unbelievable.
I was looking for the player.log (didn't know there was one)
When I read it it said the game kept loading mods. Very strange since I've done multiple clean installs and multiple cache wipes.
I completely forgot that I had mods back in december. I looked up what files to remove for a deinstall and withouth reinstalling the game it now finally starts.
....to think this was the issue
Aww I'm glad you finally can play!! Appreciate you for not giving up! There'sany reason it could crash/fail.
Enjoy playing !