• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nuclear Elvis

Major
90 Badges
Sep 25, 2019
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
Paradox Leaders/Dev's and gamers,
Several months ago, I recall reading in a random thread for EU4 that @Johan had a regret to using "Mana" (the 3x Power factors) in the EU4 game design. There was additionally some discussion and debate about using Population ("Pops") for metrics in gameplay as well.

I want to fundamentally change the argument and in overwhelming favor toward - Population as a critical design feature in any/all future game designs for Paradox's strategy games.

Why? It's human nature, literally, to want to reproduce and "propagate the species."

Now I'm not going to turn this into an "Adult-MA" or Rated R discussion, but it needs to be stated at a PG-13 level: Humans enjoy procreating, and the thought of it, in itself, provides a basic level of satisfaction to ongoing human existence (on this planet or otherwise -- looking at you Elon Musk who apparently wants everyone on the planet to get more concerned about procreating, and apparently he wants more kids by more random women on this planet and on Mars). Ok stop thinking about Elon Musk, although I may have created a visual that burns in your brain for a while.

That Population Statistic matters. It's a basic instinct. It is "bad" when it goes down. It is "good" when it goes up. I don't think anyone would argue those points. There are special places that prescribe medication, if you don't agree with those statements (and they don't even allow you to use plastic ware at meals).

Paradox - if you are building an EU5, or even thinking about it, and if you're in any conceptual design phase for any follow-on strategy game, or even an entirely new strategy title that we know absolutely nothing about, because it's classified PDX Top Secret -- please take this suggestion to heart, that you must include Population as a statistic that factors into gameplay.

Surviving Mars, one of your more recent games, comes to mind. Notice how important population is, for that one? In fact, you are not even granted the possibility of starting your human Population, until your Robots/AI have made Mars habitable enough to even attempt it. Life Matters! And Population becomes paramount to propagating the species on Mars (now don't start thinking about Elon Musk again, and whatever random woman he takes to Mars to have babies with - stay focused here).

I recently read a real-world strategy document about the current war in Ukraine, and some lessons learned in that war to this point. Within 2 days of reading that article, I also happened upon a strategy document that discussed the most important considerations for the ongoing situation between China and Taiwan. Now I'm not here to debate who's right, who's wrong in all of these situations, but as a Neutral Voice can proclaim this - both articles, both situations said the same thing - Population matters. Or, in more precise strategy terms - "Mass" matters (and I'm not talking Mass Effect - that's a competing video game series that is not a Paradox product, although there was far too much random procreating in that game -- but let's get back on topic here). So, some would then argue "Mass Makes Right" -- that phrase is sometimes used for War Planning. It's sometimes used to provide an excuse to buy a giant SUV instead of a small car. However, in Population terms, Mass of population means that a nation/kingdom has more capability to absorb Attrition (losses over time due to events of war or other factors). It's a restatement of my prior simple version: Population increase is "good" and Population decrease is "bad." Let's always see both simplistic and complex ways that Population, and the increase or decrease in Population, as varying effects in gameplay within Paradox games.

Last, and - I could go on for 1,000 more words but want to keep this initial post shorter to hopefully spark some thought and comments by Paradox employees and/or game-players -- on this last point, I want to make it more personal. I have a family. All of you come from a family (even if you are all alone, right now - all of you came from someone, from a family). Families matter. It's the most basic community on this planet (and coming soon to Mars - even if it is Elon Musk's family). We play games in the face of competing time and priorities in our own families. I think a Game Company like Paradox needs to "care more" about all that it does - whether it's about your games, or your own employees. I don't need to rehash old topics, but Paradox as a Public Company is beholden to the Public, and its shareholders. A family-friendly game, is sensitive about Population, and why people matter. It's more than just the digits going up (good) due to metrics working in the algorithm. Is there any "feeling" that is involved in the sense that one is helping to improve humanity's numbers, and chances of not just survival, but improving our ability to flourish? And that's what I would close with. Population matters because it helps mankind move away from survivalism and toward flourishing in life, and the lifestyles that result from population increases. Why do we have so much leisure time, that we can choose to start up a computer or video game console, and Start a video game that may consume hours of our lives? It's because of Population, and the flourishing of life that can result from our Pops going up (good).

• 1Like
Reactions: