• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sure. I'll upload my personal mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...s-vanilla-as-possible&p=13569761#post13569761

If you want just the tech changes, delete everything inside the "C" folder except the "technologies" folder. I did a few untested tweaks just now, so tell me if there is something wrong in it. If it looks good maybe I'll start on reforming the inventions next, if I get time during the weekends.

And can somebody tell me if paradox is planning to fix the combat-AI? Sometimes the AI "forgets" about its armies, ie not moving them when there's a major rebellion or war.

This is all nice if you want a harder game (which some people do want no denying) and I applaud your modifcation and hope it sticks out well with minimal bugs.

However I do agree that if you want a historic/realistic game it is best to leave it alone. Russia in general, if you recall, has limted to zero interest in philosophy and such for national policies. I won't write a giant wall of tech since bloviator covered it.

Essential what I'm trying to say is since Paradox was trying to make vicky 2 stick to historical lines a bit more then say EU3 or CK2 then they would code the AI to follow historical trends roughly.

so essential it's a debate of "a hard game" versus "a historical game"

either one is valid of course is just what you prefer. Which is why everything being in .txt is great since if you have a decent understand of the factors one can spend some decent effort making their own version.

Of course My only compliant is the lack of communists taking over Russia in the late era. I WANT MY SOVIET UNION PARADOX!
this was a joke if you didn't catch on

EDIT: I will agree the AI system in general could use some fine tuning however. So get on it paradox.

Last edited:
Russia was backwards, but hardly so backwards as in vanilla.. Besides, nerfing the AI's ability to think is a very poor way to nerf a country in any scenario, imo.

For example, in my little mod Russia now seems to turn into a giant, due to higher literacy and better tech choices.. Instead of nerfing the AI, it would be smarter to possibly tie craftsmen promotion to the population size of the province. This would really hurt Russia due to its low population density in most areas, while helping Europe. Another way could be to simply make infrastructure more expensive (which would be realistic anyway, too much railroads spam imo).

Sure. I'll upload my personal mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...s-vanilla-as-possible&p=13569761#post13569761

If you want just the tech changes, delete everything inside the "C" folder except the "technologies" folder. I did a few untested tweaks just now, so tell me if there is something wrong in it. If it looks good maybe I'll start on reforming the inventions next, if I get time during the weekends.

And can somebody tell me if paradox is planning to fix the combat-AI? Sometimes the AI "forgets" about its armies, ie not moving them when there's a major rebellion or war.

Have you made a bug report with save games, if not its doubtfull

Russia was backwards, but hardly so backwards as in vanilla.. Besides, nerfing the AI's ability to think is a very poor way to nerf a country in any scenario, imo.

For example, in my little mod Russia now seems to turn into a giant, due to higher literacy and better tech choices.. Instead of nerfing the AI, it would be smarter to possibly tie craftsmen promotion to the population size of the province. This would really hurt Russia due to its low population density in most areas, while helping Europe. Another way could be to simply make infrastructure more expensive (which would be realistic anyway, too much railroads spam imo).

I agree. These things however shouldn't stick to mother Russia of course. I simply advocate a Game wide AI change over Just Russia (I understand you use Russia as a point of example however so don't misconstrue my intent).

can you give us a tech chart? :)

so essential it's a debate of "a hard game" versus "a historical game"
There isn't a whole lot of "historical" about Vicky 2 right now. There are many divergences all over the place, majority of the countries go entirely a-historical. We have industrialized powerhouse Austria, Prussia failing at everything (and by extension France not suffering in their war), USA sphering Mexico and not getting its cores. At least in my games all of those seem to be common occurrences unless player intervenes. And Russia is a-historically weak, by 1914 they aren't even scary, WW1 isn't possible simply because it would be a quick steamroll. And I keep seeing them fail to colonize anything.
So, if the devs are going for history, AI should really be tweaked to behave in a more historical ways while countries should be rebalanced.
If devs are going for "game/sandbox", AI should still be tweaked to behave in a less predictable patterns and not programmed to under-preform.
EU3 might not have the best AI possible, but it's a lot less static than what Vicky offers.

eng

fra

aus

ngf

rus

i had my date wrong, it was 55 when i was looking before, they rushed the education techs in the last 5 years

Russia with 1 new mil tech and only level 1 power tech? Not sure I'd say that's any improvement, tbh.

Yeah, that's not exactly going to make Russia better. Indeed, it might make them worse.

The thing you have to remember is that you, as the player, can ALWAYS play for the long game. Research the techs that don't make an impact until years later; the Philosophy line, the +literacy line, Medicine, etc. You can do that because if something goes terribly wrong in your game, you can just quit and restart. The AI has to play every game like it's the only shot it gets. With that mindset, it makes A LOT more sense to grab RGO and military techs instead of Philosophy and +literacy.

The thing you have to remember is that you, as the player, can ALWAYS play for the long game. Research the techs that don't make an impact until years later; the Philosophy line, the +literacy line, Medicine, etc. You can do that because if something goes terribly wrong in your game, you can just quit and restart. The AI has to play every game like it's the only shot it gets. With that mindset, it makes A LOT more sense to grab RGO and military techs instead of Philosophy and +literacy.
Philosophy is a no brainer that pays for itself within 3-5 years, maybe apart from very few certain circumstances, like starting colonisation or plannung an offensive war with tech advantage. So the AI should really research it asap (apart from 1870). Education techs are another thing, esp. for large nations like Russia.

The problem is that you can only weight techs, so there is ALWAYS a chance that the AI will chose something else. What might help to solve the problems, though, would be a tech check. So for example, if the AI does NOT have the tier II power tech, it has a much smaller chance to research other tier III techs from the tree.

Another problem is, that the player can exploit the AI if it has a too obvious research pattern. In HoI2 you could assign different building templates to nations, so for example in one game GER did built a submarine fleet, in another it built a surface fleet, in another one there was the chance it would build a CV fleet and in a another game it didn't build any navy at all - so no game was always the same. However, the AI in AHD is quite predictable - and if the AI would focus on the strongest techs too much, it would become even worse.

The ideal thing would be a reactive AI that "learns" during the game, but that is probably extremely difficult to script with the given system. For example, most of the time as Chile, you can sit back cause nobody will attack you. You can even disband most of the army and forgo army techs, giving you a huge early game advantage that will become an even greater late game advantage. Now if the Argentinan AI would become smarter after it has seen Chile sitting around with 3 brigades for 20 years, it would start teching some land techs, build a few more units and grab that ripe Chilean territory. :p

Last edited:
ARG

RUS

AUS

SPA

TUR

NET

1890, AFRICA was dominatted by fra and eng

Give 40 more years, and it should be catching up. Though I agree that it has too much focus on the political thought and defence techs...

Is this a troll??? Any country with a lot of states NEEDS political thought for NFs (which are absolutely necessary) and the entire military system in Vic2 is heavily weighted to defense. It's like you're taking the good parts of the AI tech choice and saying that they are bad.

And further, "40 more years to catch up" is the end of the game. What's the point in tweaking a country only to be good when it doesn't even matter?

I think it more sums up two things:

a) adjusting tech weighting is considerably tougher than you'd think, just like everything else in V2, and

b) the 'right' tech choices are both subjective and contextual, so there's no definite 'right' choice which everyone would always agree with. What you think the 'right' techs are for a given set of circumstances will be precisely the wrong ones from someone else's point of view.

Yeah I'll work abit on it more, especially more weight on machine gun techs.

Though Naselus I agree it's a bit tough, but if I had a week I think I could prefect it. Just look at Russia in 1890 in s1234's game - it researches much better than before.

And it is undeniable that some techs are completely necessary.

Yeah I'll work abit on it more, especially more weight on machine gun techs.

Though Naselus I agree it's a bit tough, but if I had a week I think I could prefect it. Just look at Russia in 1890 in s1234's game - it researches much better than before.

Really? No artillery or org techs; no commerce techs (which are arguably the most important for industry in the game), no mining or throughput techs; more or less any improvement shown could probably be pinned down to the research boost from philosophy alone, tbh. It doesn't seem much more discerning.

And what has been thrown out of balance by this? How come in 1890 only one of the countries in the example had researched beyond Romanticism? How come Spain and the OE haven't researched any railroad techs at all? Why is Tax Efficiency, which the AI desperately needs due to it's budget incompetence, being ignored by most countries? Human's don't require it, but that's cause a human looks at their outgoings and then taxes enough to cover it; the AI doesn't. And this is without even looking into why only France and England were colonizing (most likely because the AI wasn't researching Machine Guns or the techs immediately before it quickly enough).

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's researching much better in general. I'd just say a single country is better at picking philosophy techs. It really does boil down to the fact that what you think are the most important techs are is simply an opinion dictated in part by your own style of play; a particularly warlike Russia player might look at those tech choices and be appalled by seeing two untouched lines of mil techs; the lack of Romanticism is worrying (since that line gives pure free score, determining buying order), and a complete lack of commerce techs would make an AHD industrialist shudder.