• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1619-1623: Ladislav Is Not Happy With This Turn Of Events

Erik III “The Conqueror” Dansson Crovan

Emperor of the Crovan Empire, King of the East and West Vikings and of the Skraelings, Lord of Sino, Pontifix Maximus, Rightful King of All Poland and of the Germans, Life-President of the Sino Trade Company.

ErikIIICap.jpg

In Which A Comfy Pillow Makes An Appearance
(3 January 1619 – 11 August 1623)

At the conclusion of the Great Imperial War, Erik was brought home in a litter. He’d been shot at the Battle of Mainz and, while he could still walk, it was only with great difficulty. It was a hero’s welcome. The wounded Emperor was propped up in his bed where he addressed his chief ministers and Lords.

KingErikIII.jpg

Erik smiled. “It was Glorious was it not?

PederTorsson.jpg

“Indeed, Sire it was. Truly Glorious. Your ancestors are no doubt in awe.”

KingErikIII.jpg

“Yes. I have matched their great deeds this day!”

0338.jpg

“Ha! When 300,000 men and over 100 warships move at one and at your command…”

0339.jpg

“Sometimes it’s a little easy to get carried away, like when I lost the Horse Guards in that charge.”

0340.jpg

“Still though, what a great thrashing they suffered. I’d probably still be killing Bohemians except for the injuries I suffered at the Battle of Mainz. I decided after that to just humiliate them at the peace table rather than obliterate them…for now.”

KingErikIII.jpg

“Still. The peace signing.” Erik sighed. “The best day of my life.”

Erik’s thoughts drifted back to that heady February meeting.

0341.jpg

0342.jpg

0343.jpg

0344.jpg

0345.jpg

0346.jpg

KingErikIII.jpg

“Ah yes. Good times.”

KingErikIII.jpg

Oh, Peder, could you go get Kennet, I need him to draw up a writ for me.”

PederTorsson.jpg

“Of course, sire.” Peder, and the rest, filed out of the room.

Ragnhild.jpg

"Rest now, son." Ragnhild tousled her son's hair before leaving the room."

KingGunnarIII.jpg

"Bye Dad!" Gunnar trotted out behind his Grandmother.

KingErikIII.jpg

Erik watched his son leave the room shaking his head.

"God what an oaf," he muttered absently. Then he noticed Dagmar, the last one in the room, inching towards the door.

“Oh, Dagmar, wait a moment, I have something to tell you.”

QueenDagmarI.jpg

“Yes father?”

KingErikIII.jpg

“Well, first, if you pull that bun any tighter, I think your nose will split. Ha. But seriously. I wanted to let you know that I accidently spit out another Bastard during the war. His name’s Bard. Seems like a nice enough kid. Anyway, since I’ve got two sons now, I’m going to go ahead bump you from the succession. It was a good try kid, but oh well.”

QueenDagmarI.jpg

“What!” Dagmar was enraged. “Bump me from the succession? You think you can just toss me aside so your imbecile son and some infant troll you’ve hoisted on some random whore can steal my birthright! Well! Answer me you Oaf!”

0347.jpg

“murphful furfle bruffle”

*struggle*

*flail*

*hurf*

QueenDagmarI.jpg

As her rage cooled Dagmar started and lifted the pillow off her father’s face. She felt his wrist for a pulse and pinched his mouth and nose closed to see if he’d react at all.

He didn’t.

“Well shit.” Dagmar slipped out into the hallway, checking to be sure she was unobserved.

0348.jpg

So an Emperor has passed and Gunnar III mounts an uneasy Throne. Will Dagmar’s crime be discovered? How safe is Gunnar? Find out on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan 2: The World Is Way Too Much!

Reactions:
So the Great Conqueror meets a dormatory end instead of a sanitary one... oh well, let's bring on dung-lover Gunnar... :D

Not only is she the very model of a modern Crovan Imperial, she is also way ahead of her time. Eat your heart out, Leibnitz - outdone by a saucy little minx.

The wise have said - never trust comfy pillows. And - your toilet humour is still examplary when you chose to roll it out.

:D

In Which A Comfy Pillow Makes An Appearance
I read that title and went: "Uh-oh". :D

So the great conqueror Erik is bested by his angry daughter and a pillow. Whoops! Serious miscalculation on the part of the God of War.

Now let's see how Gunnar does on the throne. If he's smart, he'll give wide berth to Dagmar and busy himself with serious matters such as inspecting the royal stables on a daily basis.

But then, if Gunnar were smart, he wouldn't eat horse dung. Too bad...

EDIT: Upon re-read I was struck how utterly fantastic that picture of Erik's death throes is (the one where the offending pillow is superimposed over Erik's portrait). :D

Last edited:
"Oh, and 50 ducats, in this little bag" :rofl:

Makes you wonder how the little AI-peasants and AI-burghers of those AI-countries feel, when sometimes their sovereigns end epic wars, with hundreds of thousands of casualties and dozens of sacks and sieges by signing over just enough money to build, say, a single constable office.

Heh Peder, heh. Means fag in Serbian, in completely insulting way.

Other than that, nice update.

order of the stick for the win

:rofl:

I just spent the last few days reading the saga of the Crovan family (both parts) and must say it was not time poorly spent. I look forward to seeing what becomes of the most dysfunctional dynasty in all alternate history.

I'd like to see Dagmar become the first Empress. It'll be a bloodfest getting there, but that's fairly standard operating procedure for the Crovans. The only question is how everyone will die. Defenestration? Outhousing? Bearmauling? In any case, it'll be a solid crovanning, I'm sure.

Hehe, now off to kill the bastard. :p
Crovan epicness continues!!!

Indeed! And Away we Go!

So the Great Conqueror meets a dormatory end instead of a sanitary one... oh well, let's bring on dung-lover Gunnar... :D

Here he is!

Hmmm, once again a female Crovan murder's her father.

They are rather predictable :)

Not only is she the very model of a modern Crovan Imperial, she is also way ahead of her time. Eat your heart out, Leibnitz - outdone by a saucy little minx.

The wise have said - never trust comfy pillows. And - your toilet humour is still examplary when you chose to roll it out.

:D

I shall have to roll it out soon, having gone all literary in this next update ;)

I read that title and went: "Uh-oh". :D

So the great conqueror Erik is bested by his angry daughter and a pillow. Whoops! Serious miscalculation on the part of the God of War.

Now let's see how Gunnar does on the throne. If he's smart, he'll give wide berth to Dagmar and busy himself with serious matters such as inspecting the royal stables on a daily basis.

But then, if Gunnar were smart, he wouldn't eat horse dung. Too bad...

EDIT: Upon re-read I was struck how utterly fantastic that picture of Erik's death throes is (the one where the offending pillow is superimposed over Erik's portrait). :D

:) Thanks. I like a good sight-gag. And no, Gunnar won't be doing anything smart anytime soon.

An epic end for an epic ruler...
And now I bet we're going to see a string of "mysterious" assassinations.

You may...

"Oh, and 50 ducats, in this little bag" :rofl:

Makes you wonder how the little AI-peasants and AI-burghers of those AI-countries feel, when sometimes their sovereigns end epic wars, with hundreds of thousands of casualties and dozens of sacks and sieges by signing over just enough money to build, say, a single constable office.

Yeah, the tiny ducat requests after titanic wars always crack me up.

Heh Peder, heh. Means fag in Serbian, in completely insulting way.

Other than that, nice update.

Oh, I didn't mean anything bad there...I meant it in the "how EUIII sometimes spells Peter" kind of way

order of the stick for the win

Hear hear!

I just spent the last few days reading the saga of the Crovan family (both parts) and must say it was not time poorly spent. I look forward to seeing what becomes of the most dysfunctional dynasty in all alternate history.

I'd like to see Dagmar become the first Empress. It'll be a bloodfest getting there, but that's fairly standard operating procedure for the Crovans. The only question is how everyone will die. Defenestration? Outhousing? Bearmauling? In any case, it'll be a solid crovanning, I'm sure.

I'm glad you've caught up and decided to follow along! Hopefully I don't immediately disappoint you right here!

1623: It's been a month, surely the body smells by now!

Gunnar III Eriksson Crovan

Emperor of the Crovan Empire, King of the East and West Vikings and of the Skraelings, Lord of Sino, Pontifix Maximus, Rightful King of All Poland and of the Germans, Life-President of the Sino Trade Company.

GunnarIIICap.jpg

Knut Lays It On Thick
(11 August 1623– 10 September 1623)

The Imperial Family sat in the front pews at Viken Cathedral. The Archbishop of Akershus was reading though the liturgy, recounting, at the moment, the Parable of St. Olaf and the Golden Shower. It was a tedious tale, and so, Gunnar leaned forward in his seat and whispered to his sister.

KingGunnarIII.jpg

“Hey, Dagmar, how much longer ‘til this is over?”

QueenDagmarI.jpg

Dagmar was trying to sit stock still, the model of nobility. She shot a sideways glance at her brother, sneering, “shhhh.”

KingGunnarIII.jpg

Gunnar leaned back in his seat, sighing. Then he turned the other way, looking at his young half-brother Bard. “Psst. Bard!”

Boy-Child.jpg

Bard glanced up. “What?”

KingGunnarIII.jpg

Gunnar motioned his brother forward and the two leaned in, annoying Gunnar’s wife, Matilda, and the Empress Emeritus, “I gotta surprise for you…close your eyes.”

Boy-Child.jpg

Bard eyed Gunnar distrustfully. “What if I don’t want a surprise?”

KingGunnarIII.jpg

“I’m the Emperor Bard. If you don’t do what I say, I’ll have you hanged.”

Ragnhild.jpg

Ragnhild was annoyed. “You will do no such thing Gunnar…now be quiet.”

KingGunnarIII.jpg

Gunnar leaned back slightly and whispered. “Of course I won’t Bard. I’m just kidding.” As he said that though, he drew his finger across his throat.

Boy-Child.jpg

“Fine.” Bard sighed, leaned in and closed his eyes. “Surprise me.”

KingGunnarIII.jpg

Gunnar snickered loudly, unable to contain his mirth, as he produced a large rock from his pocket and slung it into his brother’s skull.

“Gotcha!”

Wife1.jpg

As Bard slumped unconscious and bloody to the ground and several guests began helping the limp body away, Matilda rounded on her husband.

“Damn you Gunnar! You are almost 20 years old and here you are beating up on your 5 year old brother! And at your father’s funeral no less! You’re going to be a father soon yourself and you need to start acting like a man!”

QueenDagmarI.jpg

Dagmar’s eyes widened slightly. “Really, Matilda? You are with child?”

Wife1.jpg

Matilda blushed. “Yes, it was to be a surprise, but this lout has blown that as well.” Matilda sat back, frustrated.

QueenDagmarI.jpg

Dagmar resumed her rigid position, muttering quietly to herself. “Oh Matilda, fear not. It was a surprise.”

KingGunnarIII.jpg

Gunnar looked around for someone to share in his mirth.

“Kennet! Did you see the look on his face! Surprise! Rock in the head! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *SNORT* AHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

KennetHaraldson.jpg

“Ha. Yes. Your subtle wit has delighted us all yet again, Your Imperial Majesty.”

Ragnhild.jpg

“Quiet, juveniles, Knut Foppington is going to read his epic.”

The room grew silent as Lord Foppington daintily stepped up to the podium. He kissed his index finger and then touched his finger to the tip of the corpse’s nose. Toodles, My Emperor. You will be missed for certain.”

“Ahem…”

And so, Lord Foppington read his poem, famous throughout history. It is presented for your edification, as it appears in the 1956 edition of All That Rhymes Is Not Gold, an anthology of the greatest poems from the Laureates of the Empire. The footnotes are included so the more obscure references may be understood with greater ease

My home town is a lot like this one
Stone upon stone, ancient beyond reckoning
Life upon life, piled high, lost to memory
But they do not pause at be-nighted Viken
The Mecklenburger’s caravels sail by
For the city is too strong for them to dare stop
Do I still remember a time
When they would dare cross our swords?

My mother said: son, do not go to the steppes
In the steppes there are the Rus
They rub their skins with walrus blubber,
They eat uncooked things and smell a fright;
My mother said: son, you do not need to go;
The Rus come to us themselves
Bu they come no more
Great Erik’s Sword has frozen them.

Lacking alternatives, Gunnar guards the Empire now
His mother was of the an unclean woman (1), but his father, well, he was a lion
And they named him after a king (2).
His hands are meaty and his eyes cloudy
He has a horned helmet and a well gnawed Shield (3)
We have too many like him in Crovania
Though his hair is like straw
But his sister is a sloe-eyed lady of distinction. (4)

Skraelingia is where my Galleon bears me.
Skraelingia, they say, is fabulously rich:
Each man is a merchant, and every merchant owns a lucky cow
Sino, they say, is infamously corrupt
The Hin-Doo eat no beef, and the Mussel-Men are worse
The Confucians (5) are worst of all: they think
The world is ruled by bad grammar and worse puns.
But Sino led us to India, of pepper and of gold.

Beneath his bowl-cut brow, Gunnar hides a dozen thoughts
He knows a half-dozen pranks;
Everyone is his friend at the stables (6)
His half-dozen pranks are often used
His tyranny over his brother is worthy of amiration
For he does not pursue this vendetta in private;
The lad shall learn of the world as I did, he says
Gunnar tells the stores of these pranks, every one the same.

West Africa (7) is dry, the land is desolate
From fabled Zanzibar (8), as always, does the sun rise
With some effort the golden globe
Passes over The Cape, home of Diamonds and Gold.
Gold as her shimmering Imperial face, which dances always before me
But my bed remains empty, save for me, though not so in my dreams
Good morning, memory, I say;
And order fresh linens from the chambermaids.

Erik pointed to the north; that way, he says
Is Great Viken and from there we shall spread
A thousand times, in a thousand ways
Conquer, conquer, conquer.
There he fell on his knees, he confessed
His young soul singing out, Virtute et armis victurus te saluto (9).
He has trod the world but his soul is here
His body shall break into dust, but his soul shall be here.

Kennet says: the Sino (10) in Shanghai worry
They fret; our ships come not only to trade.
Across the seas, they care not for Crovania;
The Sino princes court the people of Persia (11)
They suddenly learned how to be polite;
When our ships and Marines seized Hong Kong.
I shrug; I have never been to Hong Kong
The Sino are there; their letters are incomprehensible.

River (12) and River lay alongside each other
Their junction marks the heart of a fading Empire
Why then, do the Holy Romans quiver
Leaving their brittle armies guarding both borders?
Their tercios and archaic Knights (13)
They used to come and claim our spaces. Remember now!
Stubbornly, Erik broke them
The Dutch and Flemish are free thanks to him.

Beyond the Bohemians and the Mecklenburgers is Sicily,
Its harbour-masters claim to be Sea-Kings;
Beyond Sicily is Tunisia; everyone has a price there.
East of Tunisia is Cyprus; nobody
Cares what they think.
Across the Sea and back again is Castile (14);
She takes our gifts wordlessly and gets rich.
Outside Castile, the treacherous Portuguese dwell.

They say: since you are quite a dandy,
Write us a verse about doilies and lace.
In London (15) they sing of doilies and lace all the time,
It is a great and glorious transgression for them to speak of manly things.
My mind does not dwell on such soft things
After supper, near dusk; as I drink my wine
Sweeter than memory. I dream of much softer and sweater fare.
Singing of a gentle and sweet princess whose rear end can make one drool.

When I am sick of sighing, I sing of my damsel
When boredom besets me, I ride off at once
To join my lithe and buxom woman;
Sick of tedium, I prance at her feet, nimble and sure
Her shining flanks glisten in the summer heat like a castle wall.
I have laid siege to those walls
Me, my heart, and my loins, a beast with three souls
Together, we are at home in this camp.

------------------------------

Funeral-1.jpg

Funeral.jpg

Funeral.jpg

Funeral-2.jpg

Triumphant, Knut sat down next to Dagmar.

KnutFoppington.jpg

He began to fan his face with a kerchief. “I do say, your father’s death has really brought out the radiance in your eyes, darling. It’s a shame he can’t go every day!”

QueenDagmarI.jpg

Dagmar sighed. “Meet me after the funeral Knut. I have need of someone I can trust. And you shall be…suitably rewarded.” She winked awkwardly at him.

Knut tittered and covered his face with the kerchief.

Funeral-3.jpg

Footnotes:

(1) For real, she was totally a whore!

(2) Well, two kings really. Gunnar I 1216-1223 and Gunnar II 1515-1523. Interesting that they were almost exactly 300 years apart. Interesting, but not really relevant here, I mean, unless you consider that Gunnar III has risen to the throne 100 years after Gunnar II vacated it. Also, Gunnar II cut off his own wiener! I think I’m off topic now.

(3) Here the poet attempts to rebuild the freshly burned bridge by referring to Gunnar as a ‘Berserker,’ by referencing the ritual shield chewing that berserkers were noted for. Shield chewing and toothlessness. Sure signs you’d crossed swords with a Berserker.

(4) The poet refers to Dagmar I Eriksdottir 1634-1635, whom he’d pursued with a single-minded devotion (some would say mania) for some time.

(5) The Confucians are not so much a ‘Religious’ grouping but rather an ‘Ethical’ grouping, which may be why the poet held them in such disdain. It is somewhat questionable how much anyone in Viken may have actually known about Confucius besides those annoying ‘Confucius sez’ jokes…for example: ‘Confucius sez Man Who Drop Hourglass In Latrine Will Have Crappy Time’ or ‘Man Who Sit On Tack Get Point.’ There was a pretty big backlash against these stupid jokes, and more than one joker was executed after Imperial Ordinances forbade them.

(6) Reference to the fact that Gunnar was known to eat horse-doots on occasion.

(7) ‘West’ Africa is distinct from ‘The Cape,’ from ‘Kongo’ and from ‘Zanzibar,’ mostly in that no one ever really bothered to give it a name.

(8) Clearly an attempt at Sarcasm. After a century of mis-management, Zanzibar’s fabled Markets and Trade Centers were closed and shuttered, the populous reduced to slavery and serfdom.

(9) Roughly translated as “By Courage and Manly Arms, He Who Is About To Win, Salutes You”

(10) This refers to any Chinese culture or nation (esp. Ming, Wu, and Manchu) , and often to all of East Asia.

(11) You know, like the rugs.

(12) The Rhine, seen as heart and defining feature of Bohemian Germany.

(13) The Bohemians, by this point bankrupted and facing runaway inflation, could not afford the latest in military technology.

(14) Castile has benefited greatly from her relation with Crovania, but never allied with her patron.

(15) London, the capital of England. The Brahe Clan, who rule the Kingdom with an iron fist, were placed on the throne in the 13th Century by the Crovans. The Brahe have resented this evermore.

So, the AuthAAR rips off…er…pays homage to…one of his favorite AARs, The old King is laid to rest, and Dagmar has thought up some sort of plan. What is she going to do? Find out on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan 2: The World Is Way Too Much!

Reactions:
Somebody tell Gunnar his poet-laureate engages in plagiarism!

----------

So I laughed so hard my landlord came to see what the matter was.

AP, BFFs? I will even forgive the insinuation that lace (or London) are manly.

Gold as her shimmering Imperial face, which dances always before me
But my bed remains empty, save for me, though not so in my dreams
Good morning, memory, I say;
And order fresh linens from the chambermaids.
Well, well... We've had (and grown accustomed to) wanton violence, all the poop jokes a sane person could handle and the occasional bit of cruelty, but I don't think we've ever before plumbed the depths of smut quite as comprehensively as Foppington does. :D

Sadly, the homage is lost on me. It must have been pretty darn good, if it served as the foundation for this epic.

I liked the footnotes: they're both informative and entertaining!

And speaking of entertaining, Gunnar the Coprophage is shaping up nicely. Stoning his little five-year-old brother! In a church! During his father's funeral! And thinking it's funny!

I'm hoping for a short reign for Gunny (because I'm looking forward to Dagmar), but it will be entertaining in its sheer idiocy. :)

I'm also lost as to the source of the "homage" myself. Maybe you could set us up w/ a link? ;)

And speaking of entertaining, Gunnar the Coprophage is shaping up nicely. Stoning his little five-year-old brother! In a church! During his father's funeral! And thinking it's funny!

Too bad the Crovans didn't keep Byzantium; Gunnar Koprophagos would have made an epic-sounding (if somewhat disgusting) title.

Furthermore, why does something tell me that during Gunnar's reign, the new Designated Royal Pastime will be "banging two bricks together"? ;)

At any rate, here's to a short-yet-highly-amusing reign for Gunnar! :D

BRAVO Bravo !

I'd buy you and RGB a drink , Packster XD That way one of you can spout off about his amazing knowledge of history and the other can make it into something i can laugh beer through my nose about XD Well done !