• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pikespike

Recruit
16 Badges
Jun 13, 2022
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
Adventures of Moesia Chapter# 1

In the year of 453 AUC, in the divided and rural balkans existed the fields and tribal settalments of Moesia. Greek traders navigated across the lands and gave their money and products in exchange for the great vegetables and wood,and livestock that the agrarian environment made so easy to get. And while such the scene looked modest, peaceful, even uneventful...it was the seeds of what could become a great empire of the balkans.

Further to the west, they were a series of small and disparate groups all seemingly trying to re-locate into the tribal centers, the most big and most organized settalments. They very slightly and slowly were centralizing themselves In fact, they were moving for potential protection...Even more west was a collection of armies with notable tribal leaders at the fronts and the tribal chief and leader of the biggest army, Dablosa Rholicus. These things make it obvious what was happening at the time, but Rholicus received his conformation from his messenger who ran from the west to tell him: "Chief! The Triballians have acknowledged our declaration of war to them, I have also seen their armies raising. Our allies have also been made aware of this and they raise their levies as we speak!".

Of course, Rholicus was fully prepared for this. Since 451 he had claimed control over the neighboring tribe of Triballia, however only a couple of months earlier was when it began to be viewed as a serious and real claim and threat to Triballia. In the years 451, and, 452, Rholicus had gone to great lengths to form military alliances. He frequently sent diplomats across to improve relations with tribes, specifically the ones known as Tilitaeia and Tyrgetae. He even became personal friends with the leader of Tilitaeia named Rholes Durasus. When his claim was actually heard and acknowledged he raised an army of about 5,000 men and declared war.

That was months ago, and now was the actual beginning of the war. Dablosa Rholicus called all of his war leaders and his army and spoke as loud as possible, saying: "Attention!! Triballia has confirmed it. Our war has officially begun with them. Now, we all shall move west and occupy their villages. Do not engage in battle with their enemies until our allies have arrived to assist with us. We will grow one step closer to uniting Zalmoxis' tribes!!!". Following with applose, the armies joined together to follow their respective leaders west into the Triballian land.

And after a month, they reached Storgosia, a village. Without any garrisons and with unprepared villagers,it only was a couple of weeks of destroying houses and blocking food supplies in the village to gain a surrender from them.

Such was the most of the war, as the Moesi army swiftly occupied the east and south of Triballia,not even seeing the main Triballi army at a distance until may of 454
Not even fighting a true battle with them until October of the same year, the battle of Prista. And even that battle was just the Moesi army joining, assisting their allies although it did kill about 2760 of the 3970 Triballi soldiers.

But when they moved, to the Triballi capital in order to capitulate their government, in march of 455 they received news of a war that would require much more attention then this one. The messenger would say to Rholicus: "Thrace and its servant countries are now at war with us! They have attacked our ally Tyrgetae and are besieging our villages...". Though Rholicus desired to fully take over Triballia, Thrace was a very powerful country with many subject and subservant nations that could ruin Moesia. So he went into the capital to the tribal leaders, and he tried to take all occupied land, but the tribal council got their way, with them only giving one county into Moesia's control. Then he put Moesi leaders in charge of the Triballi villages. and took his armies to the east of Moesia.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.26.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.26.50 AM.png
    471 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.42.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.42.12 AM.png
    3,3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.58.52 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.58.52 AM.png
    227,2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.37.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 10.37.18 AM.png
    999,6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.15.44 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.15.44 AM.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.26.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.26.48 AM.png
    493,4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 12.21.38 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 12.21.38 PM.png
    3,2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Another Imperator AAR! Excellent! Welcome to AARland!

Thrace will be a mighty foe, although they'll be distracted by the Wars of the Diadochi, so it might not be that bad (and they don't control most of Anatolia and territory in the Balkans, unlike when I faced them in my Epirus AAR - so annoying).

Are you going to try to form Dacia?

Another Imperator AAR! Excellent! Welcome to AARland!

Thrace will be a mighty foe, although they'll be distracted by the Wars of the Diadochi, so it might not be that bad (and they don't control most of Anatolia and territory in the Balkans, unlike when I faced them in my Epirus AAR - so annoying).

Are you going to try to form Dacia?
Hello HistoryDude, as you'll see in the next few chapters this first war with Thrace was mixed in both difficulty and outcome,although luckily they were predominantly attacking my ally Tyrgatae and using only their small armies to occupy the provinces. And as for forming Dacia I think that eventually and, inevitably I will form it, but for now my goal is to take over the region of Bulgaria (well what is called Bulgaria in modern times)... perhaps unite the Zalmoxian tribes.

Reactions:
Adventures of Moesia Chapter #2

Dablosa Rholicus and his army traveled through the green terrain of Moesia. A stedfast leader, Rholicus' was exclusively focused on throwing out the Thracian occupiers of the east. He ordered all armies to travel at a faster speed than normal and wake up earlier to travel longer. And they didn't see much of note for a while except, a few traders seeking to gain their riches by attempting to sell supplies to the armies... they got ignored.

This inactivity would not last for much longer. When they all reached the east, they quickly found the occupational leaders set in charge of the villages and besieged, pillaged their Thracian buildings. Without much support or strength, they quickly surrendered and, were thrown out of the villages. More unruly ones had their eyes punctured out and forced to wander the land blindly.

The re-occupation process was a success, but this was only the east and it was only reclaiming what already belonged to Moesia. They needed a new plan to win the war or at least get to a stalemate with it.

So in the village of Abritus, Dablosa Rholicus got some soldiers to chop down trees, cut them and make a table, and a shade to hold a meeting under.

Then Rholicus held his meeting with the other military leaders and clan chiefs, Bikilis Scorius, and, Tiati Mucatralus. He also invited some lower level military leaders to gain a full perspective.

"I believe you all know very well why you have been called to this meeting" said Rholicus."Of course, the war. What else even is there to talk about at such a time?" said Bikilis Scorius. "Indeed," Rholicus said, "We must not waste any time, do greatly remember that information and messengers take time to arrive to us, for all we know the enemy could have already reached our capital". Barely after finishing that sentence, he said "What I have immediately concluded based on the little information we have, is that the way to go is northeast through Getia then after, we shall find out what state the Tyrgetian armies are in and decide the best way from there". Despite Rholius' confidence and certainty in his voice while announcing the plan, Tiati Mucatralus was quick to object to the plan, "If I may disagree, I would say that the eastern city-state subjects of Thrace would be more valuable to occupy, and if we keep them long enough, then the trade value of them may be realized.... in the treasures of Moesia". "I see the direction of your advice, the cities on the east are very valuable and would serve well to be ruled by Moesia" said Rholicus, "Alas, we have no way of knowing how well resourced and defencive the cites are. With such the power of Thrace, they likely cannot be worn down by us alone". "At this time, those are unconquerable". Tiati Mucatralus would then give his objection to that objection, saying "Well.... the keys are... mercenaries and hired military's". But Rholicus said, "While these ideas may be possible in the future, as of now, we do not have a stable currency, infact much of the transactions conducted here are using arbitrary and varying systems... the mercenaries would surely not be content with receiving random items to them".

And the meeting continued similarly, with the plan being built upon with each contribution and thought spoken. It was decided that to avoid attrition,the armies would split up and travel around the Getian mountains in the center before meeting back in Tyrgetae to then decide the best way to go from there.

Last edited:
Congrats on reclaiming your lost lands. We'll see how vulnerable Thrace is.

If you do occupy a lot of Thracian land, will you annex provinces or demand money in order to hire mercenaries later?

How many of the Diadochi are at war with Thrace right now?

Congrats on reclaiming your lost lands. We'll see how vulnerable Thrace is.

If you do occupy a lot of Thracian land, will you annex provinces or demand money in order to hire mercenaries later?

How many of the Diadochi are at war with Thrace right now?
I don't remember how many Diadochi were at war, but I don't think it was much of a problem for them, the Antigonid kingdom got collapsed during the war and Thrace got its mainland back. As for the plans for after the war, I planned to annex the cities for trading reasons. Whether the goal got completed will be revealed in the next chapters, chapter 3 will be put here on Friday tomorrow.

Reactions:
Adventures of Moesia Chapter #3

The warriors began their journey north thorough the mountains of Getia.

And during the first 3 hours, a warrior and minor leader called Mholi Votramus would approach Dablosa Rholicus and give a suggestion. "I attended the meeting at Abritus, and I heard your comments about currency, economy" Said Votramus, "and I believe I know a solution to it". Then he opened his hand to reveal 3 gold disk objects and gave them to Rholicus. They had imprints and symbols pressed into the metal. "What are these" said Rholicus. "I believe that the Thracians call them coins," the soldier responded, "They are like a trade, but always are the same thing, more or less". "However, these are hard to make. They require valuable resources and a lot of them must be made for them to actually work". Rholicus responded: "These problems do limit our ability to use these 'coins', however we will set up a mine of gold and silver in the mountains, and then we will carve a drawing into them, one by one. It will be tedious... however it will be worth it to control the lands better".

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 11.31.02 AM.png

Then they moved up for days until they found very tall mountains and villages, when they figured out that they were in Getia. There they stayed, for, a few weeks until when they saw the sight of the Getian Armies.

The Moesi Armies then proceeded to split up, all military leaders got their personally commanded armies.

As all of them were rather unfamiliar with the forested and mountainous terrain of Getia contrasting with the realatively level and flat land back in Moesia, they all decided the best approach was to follow a Getian army until they got their way to more easily navigable and familiar land.
the follow.png

Even with the guide and help of the Getians who knew the land, it was not the very easy task to move to where they intended. The forests were thick and hard to see through, the mountains were inconvenient to navigate. Many trees got cut down, and, made into new shields and supplies and helped to counter the problems the Moesi armies were facing. The mountains were avoided altogether if possible. Eventually though, they got past and made it to a Tyrgetaeian village by summer of 457.

Where, they found a minor and small Thracian army guarding the constructed bases as a garrison. They quickly were thrown out, and their buildings burn to ash. Yet in the distance, the silowet and outline of a grand army appeared in the distance... the Getian armies also marched forward in front of the city. The Moesi were suggested by the Getians to travel east to the settlement of Dinogetia with them, and, without much direction elsewhere they did.

Before the army of Moesia even properly saw it, the Getians were attacking an army formed by Taumis, a Subject of Thrace. The coalition of Getia and Moesia, eventually the Tyrgetaeians as well had the strength in numbers,but Thrace kept much more advanced military technology. Their weapons all were made out of better resources that could strike through a wooden Moesi shield with ease, and so was their armor which weaker spears wielded by Moesi could not even put a dent in.

Dinogetia1.png

And at the first few hours the battle was surpassingly not eventful. But at the beginning of the next day the Tyrgetians and some of Thrace's allied states got information about the battle and joined it, which is when it became very hectic. More and more armies of more and more strength had to join up with the Moesi alliance to combat the more powerful Thracian subjects joining. The Moesi alliance still kept the advantage of numbers and they were more used to the terrain, so they were beating over the Thracian alliance quite well for a while.

Until, the main Thracian and subject armies joined, by which the battle became incredibly large, almost 30,000 soldiers in total. And with the size came even more chaos to the battle to the point it was hard to figure out what the plan was. In the very end, however, the Thracians just had more soldiers and more powerful soldiers, and were able to slay a significant amount of allied soldiers to the point that they basically just lost the battle and were completely disorganized

Dino2.png

Although them losing very terribly in the battle is somewhat debatable, they managed to kill 6000 soldiers, a bit less than a third of the total armies they fought. However the Moesi forces got particularly demolished, more than half of their soldiers got killed or disorganized. The disorder of them got so bad that the armies were basically splitted, they had no contact with each other and were in tons of different small groups, all trying to get back to Moesia to figure out their next plan.

They eventually got back to Abritus and held only a small meeting with the most important leaders.

"So we lost... now what?" said Bikilis Scorius. "We go for the east" Said Dablosa Rholicus with an thinking expression, "Mucatralus' idea from the last year of hiring mercenaries and taking over the eastern Thracian subjects is now possible, now that we have a stable currency of what is called coins". Rholicus then pointed to a box filled with the coins, etched variously with symbols of arrows on them and, a tribal seal of Moesia. "Those will be taken by a courier to a set of Greek mercenaries...we shall se who is interested and recruit them to help us with this war". Then a man picked the box up and put a lid on it, and multiple soldiers followed him as he set off to find good mercenaries.

And then a messenger came with news: "The battle of Durostorum! while a large group of soldiers were locating back here they thought to fight a Bithynian army they saw, Tiati Mucatralus, their leader who planned this cannot attend your council here". "Did I not tell that fool to meet back exactly here as fast as possible?!" Rholicus' normally calm attitude got somewhat wrathed by this news.

Durostrom.png

Well, that war could've started better. Let's hope that Moesia can recover from this setback... I can completely sympathize with losing battles to Thrace.

Reactions: