• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Like the background Zuckergußgebäck. Glad someone could do something about since I have no skills whatsoever at backgrounds or anything artistic in general. The supply stuff has actually been changed I just forgot to update the names. Same number of techs, similar abilities, different requirements, difficulties.

The naval tree was particularily easy, it just involved some moving around of the techs and some drawing. All in all I guess it took me about an hour. Now for the brigades...
screensave79zy.png

EDIT: Whooooups, had image resizing on. Now you can actually read what it says :eek:o

Zuckergußgebäck said:
The naval tree was particularily easy, it just involved some moving around of the techs and some drawing.
Isn't Ironclad still a prerequisite for Predreadnought? Also, we'll need to add in the two models of Predreadought.

Also, if you'd checked the Naval Units thread you'd have found this already done: :)
navaltech.gif

StephenT said:
Isn't Ironclad still a prerequisite for Predreadnought? Also, we'll need to add in the two models of Predreadought.

Also, if you'd checked the Naval Units thread you'd have found this already done:
Before Zuckergußgebäck goes and kills himself from all the demands placed upon him by people who dont realize that I did 90% of the tech stuff so far :rolleyes: this is what is going on with the naval techs:

Ironclad is a prerequisite for Predreadnought ... you will not be able to build the early Predreadnought it will come into the game as obsolete no matter who you are (there is no economically viable reason to build 1870-1890 era battleships no matter how pisspoor the nation you are playing is.) Basic Predreadnoughts will be the first ships to be able to build in the dreadnought category. Ironclads as well will probably be obsoleted before the game begins unless we set up a scenario for a turn of the century/beginning of the century war (Spanish-American, Boer, Russo-Japanese, hypothetical, etc.)

I guess I need to give everyone an update of what still has to be done tech wise (and since Christmas/New Years is over I guess I should do some 1914 mod work :) )

Leopold III said:
wasn't there a marine model before the 1924 one ?

No ... it was decided that until the 1920s there was the technology or the training to have WWII style marines ... marines either were guards/boarding parties aboard ships or elite infantry units called marines.

Lets continue my string of posts without a reply and hope a mod doesnt ban me ... :rolleyes:

Here is an alpha version of the land doctrine tree .... looks kind of bare so if anyone can think of something to add that would be helpful.

landdoctrine9iv.jpg

Now for the input of some of yall (especially Z, Allenby, StephenT, Kaiser Franz, etc. who have opinons/knowledge about all things ... if I forgot anyone sorry) What effects do I need to place where?

Basic Idea:
3 Models of HQs (1898 w/ Modern Military tech; 1915 w/Strongpoint; 1918 w/Infiltration)
After Modern military choose either manpower or firepower and either offensive or defensive focus for "uniqueness" for units. (AKA Bulgarian super sized divisions, etc.)
All techs from strongpoint to infiltration researchable by all.
Than choose one:
Static Defense/Counterattack branch or Breakthrough/Schwerpunkt branch

Not sure what kind of morale, org, etc. bonuses we want/need. Also we need to decide the HQ bonus modifiers (Assault, breakthrough, ambush, etc. and supply modifiers) Also which brigades should be open for HQs (artillery, engineers, logistics, comm, etc.?)

Also I need subtechs (names, difficulty, specialty for all 15 land doctrinal techs)

Might we want to have something before 'Modern Military' to reflect those nations that are tribal in nature or using outdated tactics, etc. They would not have the ability to build HQ's until they reach 'Modern Military'.

KingMississippi said:
So what do you suggest?
Well what about something two levels before 'Modern Military'. Say level one being 'Tribal Warfare' and the second being Napoleonic Theory (i.e. the stuff from Napoleon through the US Civil War)...or something like that. Tribal would offer some org bonus to militia while NT would maybe give some other low level bonuses.

Shadow Knight said:
Well what about something two levels before 'Modern Military'. Say level one being 'Tribal Warfare' and the second being Napoleonic Theory (i.e. the stuff from Napoleon through the US Civil War)...or something like that. Tribal would offer some org bonus to militia while NT would maybe give some other low level bonuses.

OK ... how about this:
Tribal Warfare:
big boost to cavalry morale that is taken away at the discovery of 1890 Cavalry and Modern Military (to have only help the unmodernized nations - probably an event to do it later)
also cheaper ic/build time/manpower to reflect the clannish organization

Napoleonic Warfare (or maybe 19th Century Tactics)
same thing with morale but to infantry that is taken away with 1898 infantry and modern military

Maybe you can insert "General Staff System" tech that would give the first HQ model.

As for combat events, assault and counterattack should probably have much more chance of occuring than other.
For example, offensive focus can give +6% assault, +1% counterattack, +1% breakthrough.
Defensive focus can give +4% counterattack, +2% assault, +1 delay, +1% tactical withdrawal.

I was also thinking about some trench warfare techs, I don't know would that be a good idea. That would be cheap techs with two lines, one which reduces artillery cost (preliminary bombardment -> artillery barrage -> creeping barrage), and other which improves landfort efficiency (basic -> improved -> advanced trench defence)

Strongpoint should be the tech that allows digging in, decreases landfort build time, increases delay and counterattack chance etc. It could have the following specialties:
Key Position Strongholds - centralized execution
Army-Sized Garrisons - large unit focus
Usage Of Stronghold Reserves - small unit tactics
Strongpoint Mentality - individual courage
Fortified Position Defence Training - training

Hope that at least one idea is good :)

Possible Def in Depth components:

Deep Area Deployment - large unit focus
Enemy Initiative - large unit tactics
Hidden Large Formations - centralized execution
Timetable Maneuvers - centralized execution
Planned Counterattacks - large unit tactics

Tech could give something like +10% land org, +3% delay, +3% counterattack etc...

Last edited:
Offensive focus components:

Offensive superiority theory - infantry focus
Offensive spirit - individual courage
Officer initiative - decentralized execution
Assault focus - small unit tactics
Bayonet charge training - training

Defensive focus components:

Defensive superiority theory - infantry focus
Hold-ground spirit - individual courage
Planned defence - centralized execution
Local counterattacks - small unit tactics
Fire discipline - training

Mass Charge Focus components:

Planned assault - infantry focus
Concentrated attack - large unit tactics
Irresistible charge mentality - individual courage
Multiple targets - centralized execution
Assault training - training

This tech can give something like +5% org, +30% morale, cheaper infantry and cavalry, +4% assault, +2% counterattack, +1% breakthrough and ambush.

Well, I´ll add some components to the attrition techs (and change the spelling of Hindenburg :eek:o )

Offensive attrition
*Intricate offensive plans (centralized_execution)
*Massive reserve deployment (large_unit_focus)
*Continous assaults (individual_courage)
*Hell-bent generals (individual_courage)
*Mass casualties absorbation (centralized_execution)

Defensive attrition
*Intricate defensive plans (centralized_execution)
*Massive reserve deployment (large_unit_focus)
*Defend-every-inch mentality (infantry_focus)
*Deep trench systems (centralized_execution)
*Mass casualties absorbation (centralized_execution)