• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What about submarine cruisers resp. submarine monitors? Auxiliary cruisers, Q-ships, airships.

Sure, all those units also have a place, i only need to know how to mod the 99 new units and brigades

I wouldn't worry about pocket BB's as they are already covered under heavy Crusiers and since only Germany made them

Did you know that Italy had also projects for a pocket BB?:

http://www.bobhenneman.info/ItalyHome.htm
http://www.bobhenneman.info/design45367.htm

@Arturius: Thanks!

Some ideas for land brigades:
-Motorized infantry brigades (attacheable only to infantry divisions to represent those semi motorized infantry divisions of France and Italy where only one regiment was trully motorized)
-Special (or Elite) infantry brigade: Commandos, French foreign legion... and so on

Last edited:
Is it possible to create new equipment from scratch?

Last edited:
Did you know that Italy had also projects for a pocket BB?:

http://www.bobhenneman.info/ItalyHome.htm
http://www.bobhenneman.info/design45367.htm

@Arturius: Thanks!

Some ideas for land brigades:
-Motorized infantry brigades (attacheable only to infantry divisions to represent those semi motorized infantry divisions of France and Italy where only one regiment was trully motorized)
-Special (or Elite) infantry brigade: Commandos, French foreign legion... and so on

Same for mountain infantry. Motorized variants of field as well as of heavy artillery existed already in WW1. But it could be that there wasn't a difference in speed.
I'm still digged in researching WW1-techs. I let you know when I know more.

Same for mountain infantry. Motorized variants of field as well as of heavy artillery existed already in WW1. But it could be that there wasn't a difference in speed.
I'm still digged in researching WW1-techs. I let you know when I know more.

IIRC There was a regiment of the USMC that fought in a ww1, could it be at Belleau Wood? I ask this because i intend to include marine brigades, but i'm not sure about how many models assign to them.

Another wild idea, infantry regiments. IE, you can choose the composition of your infantry divisions using brigades, that way, when you choose to build a division, you only build the core of the division itself, the HQ section and recon units (which, i guess will start being a mere cavalry section and will evolve to armoured cars) and then you must fill that division with regiments, that way, depending on your land doctrine you'll have triangular divisions (4 brigades slots, 3 intended for infantry regiments and one for a support regiment, which will increase to a maximum of 4 with land doctrines) or square divisions (with a maximum capacity of 5 brigades from the very beginning) and you can interchange regiments between divisions.
However as i see various problems with this (i'm not sure if AI would handle it, you can insta reinforce your units... and so on) i'm not very sure if it's a viable way, what do you people think?

yes i knew Italy had plans for a "pocket Battleship" but other then guns sizes both had only as much armour as a heavy crusier at the time. Well Deutschland actually had less only 5 inches of armour which was more like a light crusier but still. Also the brigade ideas for division are great but don't go towards the hearts of Iron 3 model of building x number of regiments to make a division as the ai will go insane and break everything :p

IIRC There was a regiment of the USMC that fought in a ww1, could it be at Belleau Wood? I ask this because i intend to include marine brigades, but i'm not sure about how many models assign to them.

Same for Germany (http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=24885). AFAIK there was already training for amphibious assaults. Before Great War marine infantry was a light infantry, but at war they served on Western Front. So I doubt that there was a difference to regular infantry. But I will look for a ToE.

Another wild idea, infantry regiments. IE, you can choose the composition of your infantry divisions using brigades, that way, when you choose to build a division, you only build the core of the division itself, the HQ section and recon units (which, i guess will start being a mere cavalry section and will evolve to armoured cars) and then you must fill that division with regiments, that way, depending on your land doctrine you'll have triangular divisions (4 brigades slots, 3 intended for infantry regiments and one for a support regiment, which will increase to a maximum of 4 with land doctrines) or square divisions (with a maximum capacity of 5 brigades from the very beginning) and you can interchange regiments between divisions.
However as i see various problems with this (i'm not sure if AI would handle it, you can insta reinforce your units... and so on) i'm not very sure if it's a viable way, what do you people think?

Initially I have had the same idea. but with maximum capacity of 5 brigades there would be not much space for artillery and other special attachments. My idea is following: Define a standard infantry division. There's a command (strenght_cap) with that you can limit the maximum strength a unit type can get. So a standard units has a strength of 12,000 you can enable a tech for a specific country and set that inf division of this country can only have strength of 80%. There could be decision made with that you can switch between biangular and triangular divisions. I really like your suggestion, but the current engine is limited. Maybe anytime we could assign equipment and manpower via sliders.

Initially I have had the same idea. but with maximum capacity of 5 brigades there would be not much space for artillery and other special attachments. My idea is following: Define a standard infantry division. There's a command (strenght_cap) with that you can limit the maximum strength a unit type can get. So a standard units has a strength of 12,000 you can enable a tech for a specific country and set that inf division of this country can only have strength of 80%. There could be decision made with that you can switch between biangular and triangular divisions. I really like your suggestion, but the current engine is limited. Maybe anytime we could assign equipment and manpower via sliders.

I think that maybe it could be easier if i create two new units, one for each of the divisions type. I think that strength_cap command is only usable via events, events that i would like to avoid when possible.

EDIT: About marine brigades, the most plausible way to add them is to have an amalgam of just a generic 'light infantry brigade' which can be multipurpose for mountain infantry or marine regiment.

Last edited:
Ok, i have come up with a very rough draft of the airplanes, for now i'm going to focus only on pre ww1 and ww1 airplane types and i'll leave interwar ww2 and CW for later:
For this purpose i took info from this webpage and wikipedia.
As you can see i'm not making difference between prototypes and normal airplanes and neither i'm making it with design failures and design successes.

pre ww1:
Experimental scout airplane: Bleriot XI, Farman biplane, Dufaux 5, Avro Type D, Fokker Taube - Around 1909/1910
Early Scout Airplane: RAF Se.2, Morane-Saulnier L, Pfalz E.I - Around 1912/1913
Early 2 seater rec airplane: Avro 504, RAF B.E.2, Caudron G.III, Maurice Farman MF.7 "Longhorn", Maurice Farman MF.11 "Shorthorn" - 1913
Military utility seaplane: AVRO 501 - 1913
Experimental Flying boat: Curtiss model F, Grigorovich M-1 - 1913

ww1:
Fighters , scouts multipurpose..:
Basic Scout Fighter: Martinsyde S.1, RAF S.E.2a, RAF S.E.4a, Morane Saulnier N, Nieuport 10, Pfalz A.Ib, Pfalz A.I, Pfalz E.I, Caproni Ca.20 - 1914
Early ww1 Multipurpose fighter: Sopwith Tabloid - 1914
Early ww1 Fighter: Bristol Scout D, Nieuport 11, Ponnier M.1, Fokker Eindecker E.III, Sikorsky S-16 - 1915
Basic ww1 Multipurpose fighter: RAF B.E.12 - 1915
Very Early ww1 Pusher fighter: AGO C.I - 1915
Basic ww1 Fighter: Bristol M1C, Sopwith Pup, Vickers F.B.19, Hanriot HD.1, Nieuport 17, SPAD S VII, SPAD S XII, Aviatik (Berg) D-I, Hansa-Brandenburg D.I, Albatros D.I/D.II/D.III, Fokker D.I/D.II/D.III/D.IV, Halberstadt D.II, LFG Roland D.III, Siemens-Schuckert D.I, Mosca MB 2bis,Sikorsky S-20 - 1916
Improved ww1 Multipurpose fighter: Martinsyde G.100/G.102, Roland D.II - 1916
Early ww1 Pusher Fighter: RAF F.E.8, Vickers F.B.12, De Havilland D.H.2, - 1916
Early ww1 Triplane: Sopwith Triplane, Nieuport Triplane Nie-11C,Aviatik (Berg) Dr.I 30.24, Saveljev Quadruplane - 1916
Early ww1 Ground attack airplane: Halberstadt CL.II - 1916
Improved ww1 Fighter: Airco D.H.5, RAF S.E.5a, Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Dolphin, Nieuport 23, Nieuport 28, SPAD S XIII, Aviatik D.II, Albatros D.V, Euler D.II, Fokker D.V/D.VI, Pfalz D.III, Rumpler D.I, Siemens Schuckert D.III, Ansaldo A.1 Balilla, - 1917
Basic ww1 Triplane: Hansa-Brandenburg L.16,Fokker Dr.I - 1917
Advanced ww1 multipurpose fighter: Morane-Saulnier AI, Nieuport 24bis., Nieuport 27, Phönix D.I - D.II, Lohner DI,Ansaldo SVA.5, - 1917
Basic ww1 Ground attack airplane: AEG J.I,Albatros J.I/J.II, Hannover CL.III, Junkers J.I - 1917
Advanced ww1 Fighter: Martinsyde F4 Buzzard, Sopwith Snipe, Hanriot HD.7, Phönix D.III, Aviatik (Berg) 30.40, Fokker D.VII, Junkers D.I, LFG Roland D.VI,Pfalz D.VIII, Pfalz D.XII, Siemens-Schuckert D.IV, Pomilio Gamma -1918
Early torpedo bomber (i think this one is better represented in ship birgades only): Sopwith Cuckoo - 1918
Improved ww1 Ground Attack airplane: Sopwith Salamander, Halberstadt CL.IV, Junkers CL.I, - 1918
Improved ww1 Triplane: Lloyd Triplane,Pfalz Dr.I -1918

Two seat airplanes, light bombers:
Early 2 seater Gral. Purpose aircraft: Voisin III, Albatros B.I/B.II, Aviatik B.I, Voisin Ivanov - 1914
Basic 2 seater Gral. purpose aircraft: Airco DH.1, Armstrong Whitworth F.K.3, RAF FE-2d, Vickers F.B.5 Gun Bus, Morane-Saulnier BB, Nieuport 12 , SPAD A2, Albatros C.I, Otto C.I, Rumpler C.I -1915
Early ww1 Light Bomber: RAF RE7, Albatros C-III, LVG C.II, Anadwa VKh, -1915
Improved 2 seater Gral. purpose airplane: Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8, RAF RE8, Sopwith one and a Half Strutter, Vickers F.B.14,Caudron G.6, Salmson-Moineau, AEG C.IV, Albatros C.V/C.VII, DFW CV, LFG Roland C.II “Walfisch” -1916
Developed 2 seater Gral. purpose airplane: Bristol F.2 Fighter,Caudron R 11, SPAD S.XI, AGO C.IV, Albatros C.X, LVG C.V, Rumpler C.IV-VII, Società Italiana Aviazione 7B,Torpedo, Olkhovskij -1917
Basic 2 seater fighter: Hanriot HD.3 - 1917
Basic ww1 Light bomber: Airco D.H.4, Airco DH.9, Breguet Br.XIV, Anadwa Salmson - 1917
Advanced 2 seater Gral purpose airplane: Sopwith Buffalo, Sopwith Bulldog, Albatros C.XII/C.XV, Halberstadt C.V , LVG C.VI, Pomilio PE - 1918
Improved ww1 Light bomber: Breguet 17 - 1918
Improved 2 seater fighter: Hanriot HD.6 - 1918

Bombers:
Basic ww1 Heavy Bomber: Friedrichshafen G.III, Gotha G.I, Siemens-Schuckert Steffen R, Sikorsky Ilya Mouromets - 1915
Early ww1 tac bomber: Handley Page HP.12 (O/400),Short Bomber, Rumpler G.I/G.II/G.III, Caproni Ca.3 -1915
Basic ww1 tac bomber: Airco DH.3, A.E.G. G.IV, Albatros G.III, - 1916
Improved ww1 Heavy Bomber: Gotha G.II/G.III, DFW R.I - 1916
Improved ww1 tac bomber: Avro 529 - 1917
Developed ww1 Heavy bomber: Lloyd 40.08 Luftkreuzer,Gotha G.IV/G.V, Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI, - 1917
Advanced ww1 tac bomber: Airco DH.10 - 1918
Early ww1 torpedo bomber: Blackburn R.T.1 Kangaroo - 1918
Advanced ww1 heavy bomber: Bristol Braemar, Handley Page V/1500, Vickers Vimy, Linke-Hofmann R.II, Siemens-Schuckert R.VIII, Caproni Ca.4, Caproni Ca.5 - 1918

floatplanes/seaplanes:
Early ww1 scout seaplane: Short Type 827, Friedrichshafen FF.33, - 1914
Basic ww1 scout seaplane: Short Admiralty Type 184, Sopwith Baby - 1915
Early torpedo bomber seaplane: Short Type 166 Floatplane, AD Seaplane Type 1000 - 1916
Improved ww1 scout seafighter:port Victoria P.V.2, Hanriot HD.2, Albatros W.IV, Friedrichshafen FF.43, Hansa-Brandenburg KDW, Rumpler-6B - 1916
Early Carrier borne floatplane: British Fairey Campania Floatplane - 1917
Developed ww1 sea fighter: Port Victoria P.V.9, SPAD S.XIV, Friedrichshafen FF.41, Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 - 1917
Basic torpedo bomber seaplane: Short Type 320 - 1917
Advanced ww1 Floatplane fighter: Hansa-Brandenburg W.29, Hansa-Brandenburg W.33, Zeppelin-Lindau (Dornier) CS I - 1918

Flying boats:
Early ww1 Flying boat: Grigorovich M-2 -1914
Basic ww1 Flying boat: Hansa-Brandenburg CC, Grigorovich M-5 - 1915
Developed ww1 Flying boat: AD Flying Boat, Macchi M.3, Grigorovich M-9, Grigorovich M-11/M-12/M15/M24 - 1916
Improved ww1 Flying boat: Curtiss Model H, Felixstowe F.2, Felixstowe F.3, Hansa-Brandenburg W.18, Macchi M.5 - 1917
Advanced ww1 Flying boat: Felixstowe F.5, - 1918

^^ I don't think it is.

In WW1 there where already classification like light ('female') and heavy ('male'). Light tanks where equipped with MGs only, heavy tank had installed a gun additionally. Light tanks served as support tanks for heavy tanks. The tanks units were mixed. And don't forget the superheavy tanks which were designed in the end of WW1.

After further researches I have to correct myself. Tanks were already categorized in 4 categories depending on their weight: light, medium, heavy and super-heavy.

France built heavy tanks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Chamond_(tank)) but switched later to light tanks, its famous Renault FT-17.
Britain built heavy tanks (Mark I-IX) and medium tanks (Mark 'Whippet' serie).
Germany built heavy tanks only (A7V) and wanted to switch to medium ('Sturmpanzerwagen Oberschlesien') and light tanks ('Leichter Kampfwagen').

All tank producing countries have had at least prototypes for super-heavy tanks, despite of the tendency to use lighter tanks. Also this project contradicts with the experienced made with using heavy tanks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Mark_VIII

After further researches I have to correct myself. Tanks were already categorized in 4 categories depending on their weight: light, medium, heavy and super-heavy.

France built heavy tanks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Chamond_(tank)) but switched later to light tanks, its famous Renault FT-17.
Britain built heavy tanks (Mark I-IX) and medium tanks (Mark 'Whippet' serie).
Germany built heavy tanks only (A7V) and wanted to switch to medium ('Sturmpanzerwagen Oberschlesien') and light tanks ('Leichter Kampfwagen').

All tank producing countries have had at least prototypes for super-heavy tanks, despite of the tendency to use lighter tanks. Also this project contradicts with the experienced made with using heavy tanks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Mark_VIII

Interesting... that makes compulsive to have at least two heavy tanks brigade models, one for 1916 other for 1918, a medium one (1918 i guess), and a light one (1917 i suppose) plus a secret weapon project for super heavy armors...

BTW i don't much free time lately, and when i have it, i employ it to play X-com:Enemy Unknown because... well, i've been literaly more than 10 years waiting for another X-com game which didn't suck (and, yes, i hated X-com:interceptor)