• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DerEiserne

Private
20 Badges
May 27, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Started as the Duchy of Epirus, which began as a Suzerain of the Byzantine Empire, with a plan to gradually build up my power before rebelling against my boss. By the time I managed to build up a respectable power base (as shown in the screenshot below), I couldn't help but notice that I am unable to rebel or stop paying tribute to the Byzantine Emperor. I've tried assassinating him, supporting different houses to take over which all ended fruitless to my cause.So I'm currently stuck as a tributary state, despite owning various kingdoms.

In addition, I've also tried to push forward Imperial Administration. I've managed to achieve everything but the emperor title. I did try and form the Empire of Maghreb, but realized that I did not fit the culture requirements of Berber. Otherwise, I'm dangerously nearing my vassel limits, which would limit my ability to expand.

I was wondering whether anyone could provide any ideas or suggestions, thanks!
upload_2020-3-17_22-30-29.png

the "stop paying tribute" thing is for peacefully ending the relationships and it only works if your suzerain fulfills the conditions shown in game.
you should still have the option to declare a "free tributary" war on your suzerain (byz emperor) and end the relationship forcefully.

EDIT: before starting the war, you should probably check the realm size of the byz. one of the conditions for the peaceful "stop paying" is the realm size. if they aren't *much* larger then you it may be easier to just conquer a few more small neighbors to outgrow your suzerain and free yourself without a big war against the byz.

regarding empire title: don't think you actually have to fulfill culture requirements for any of the empires. those requirements only apply to AI (used to be for players, too, but that was changed at some point). if you have more than 80% of the lands, you should be able to form it.

the "stop paying tribute" thing is for peacefully ending the relationships and it only works if your suzerain fulfills the conditions shown in game.
you should still have the option to declare a "free tributary" war on your suzerain (byz emperor) and end the relationship forcefully.

First, minor note for the OP, you're the Byzantine Empire's tributary, not suzerain. Byz is your suzerain.

Otherwise, yes, what @MK1980 writes is correct. You can peacably stop paying tribute if the Byzantine Empire is smaller than you, is no longer independent, or if the Byzantine Emperor ever ends up with a negative Prestige total. Your realm size is 236; it's probably close to the Byzantine size. Keep on growing, it's your simplest solution.

The other option is to attempt to swear fealty, joining Byzantine Empire outright and becoming his (very powerful) vassal King.

Byzantine Empire is the easiest to game as a vassal- you can almost surely be elected Emperor if you put any effort into it.

Alternately, marry his daughter (or marry his daughter to your son) setting up your next (or two down) ruler with a claim on the Byzantine Empire to press.

Any idea how to declare a "free tributary" war on the Byzantine Emperor? I cannot find it!

should be available as an option in the "declare war" menu when you select the byzantine basileus. do you have a non agression pact and can't declare war at all against him?

anyway - conquering some of the nearby minor realms around your core lands could also do the trick if that's enough to get you above his realm size and declare independence without a fight. amalfi in souther italy would be a nice target, slavonia on your north western border looks like easy prey, which would open a border with bavaria as a potential next target. also the africans sout of your conquered lands are probably easy prey and won't put up much of a fight.

Well, I don't know how it happened but the original Byzantine emperor was disposed and a new emperor was elected in his place. Bizarre thing is that my EMPIRE of Maghreb is currently the vassal of the Duchy of Hellas. I have no idea how this happened, but it is comical no doubt...
I can't declare war on her since she's not independent, and rebelling isn't a casus belli.

upload_2020-3-18_12-54-43.png

So if I can't solve my issue with her, I might as well declare war on her boss right? Though I can declare war on her, the problem then is on what reason I declare war. All of the casus belli do not include that of declare independence or refuse to be a tributary state.

upload_2020-3-18_12-51-32.png

Many good people on this forum have suggested me to try and claim the Byzantine throne, however, I am quite worried about receiving many new and unfamiliar vassals which could (and likely) cause new rebelling factions to appear. I'm not as ambitious, and would be happy enough to simply retain what I have for now.

Any suggestions, guys and girls?

You're sure the option isn't there if you scroll down on the CBs list?

I will say this: Byzantine is VERY stable usually. The vassals are usually all de jure, not very powerful, and because of imperial government types do not have steep penalties unless you ended up with mixed feudal and viceroys.

Thanks guys! I think the trick was to outrank your suzerian before I could manage to refuse to pay tribute and have actual independence. So the Empire of Magheb was finally established!

Next question would be has anyone managed to enact Imperial Law? I've achieved all the requirements for it to happen..... but it just is unable to be enacted....

Thanks once more!

upload_2020-3-18_21-32-20.png

Have you moved your capital to somewhere else AFTER reaching tech 5? Someone had the same question a month or so ago, and it turned out that he had moved his capital to somewhere else with majesty tech lower than 5.
Well, that could be just the answer. My Legalism is certainly 5, but my majesty is only 4 at the moment. I never thought that majesty levels has to reach 5 since I never saw it in the requirements section. So majesty level is also a requirement!?

Well, that could be just the answer. My Legalism is certainly 5, but my majesty is only 4 at the moment. I never thought that majesty levels has to reach 5 since I never saw it in the requirements section. So majesty level is also a requirement!?
From your own tooltip:

upload_2020-3-18_19-25-3.png