• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Only mistake SU did was leaving units in East.
Basically they can evacuate and keep 4-5 divs blocking way to heart of SU but letting useless provinces to fall.

Africa for Italy is worth doing only if Axis put a lot of efforts in, anything less usually means simply lost divisions and not much won time.

If Allies look inactive, they are throwing forces somewhere else, probably Balkans or Italy.
Italy is awfully at risk if they have to support Eastern front and war is so early. Later it is less risky, so as Ally I would go for Italians.

I do think Axis will lose this time... they have space for maneuver though.

Italy is only in war with SU and we plan to keep it that way - so "the Boot" is not really threatened. The Allies don't have an awfull lot on places to attack as they are only in war with Germany - and the Sound to the Baltics are closed.

Yes, SU-gameplay in the Far East is a little like Italy in Africa. They often lose a bunch of units when giving the opponent only a slight delay. But we'll se how it turns out this time.

Yes, SU-gameplay in the Far East is a little like Italy in Africa. They often lose a bunch of units when giving the opponent only a slight delay.
I hate this, BTW. It just seems unrealistic to see a country leaving all that land to the enemy without ANY negative consequences. Just imagine UK stripping India of troops or leaving Australia to the Japanese... or the USA leaving its "worthless" Pacific holdings.

In one game Allies did strip EVERYTHING and brought to France.
Honestly, it was quick game over after very hard battles in France, as Japan unopposed rolled over whole India while Italy did what it wanted in Med.

Unfortunately there is no mechanism or penalties (except lost VP and resources) to force defend anything except capital.

Typical 1/0 HOI thinking. It's either all or nothing. Very unrealistic.

Also, while in the SP the player can (sometimes) restrict him- or herself, in the MP they are often pretty much forced to do things like that if they want to win.

Sudden Carnage

Chapter IX – The clash of Giants under the summer Sun part II

Countries played by humans: UK, France, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

Recap: Germany is struggling through hard and costly battles in the East, pressing Soviet back, a step at the time, and bleeding heavily while doing it. So far, Wehrmacht have not been able to breach the Red Army’s defense. Denmark has fallen to Germany and the Baltic Sea is sealed up for the Allies. The Allies keep pressing from the West and neutral Belgium is a lingering threat as they are aligning very close to the Western Democracies. Still, Japan has started its march against Soviet Far East. What can they do? Axis is in dire need for good news.

20-1.jpg

August 13th, 1939

After a bloody battle in Skidel, where USSR was dealt a great blow, the German leadership felt a little more optimistic. The Russian forces had been taken heavy casualties and many of their divisions were in an awful state. Worse though, was that they found good defensive positions behind the river, in forests and swamps. It would be difficult to dislodge them by frontal attacks.

22-1.jpg

August 15th, 1939

Before the Russian declaration of war, the two nations had flowering trade deals. With those deals off, full production and an expensive two-front war, Germany’s stock of rare minerals was shrinking fast, threatening to be a major problem.

Author’s note: This was a pure black spot in my plan. Even though I knew it to be so, I had simply forgotten to calculate how long Germany will last without conquering other countries stockpiles. I started to realize now, it wasn’t long enough. Not long enough at all. I realized this was an even greater threat than the Allied forces… I immediately tried my best to counter this with trade deals, such as this one, but German funds only reach that far…

Traks (from last chapter): When German trade with SU is broken and sooner or later (sooner in fact) they will run out of Rares and Fuel.

Authors late response: Yeah, man. I think you’re bloody right… :(

21-1.jpg

August 16th, 1939

Japan is making steady progress. Vladivostok is captured and the Japanese claim to have annihilated as much as six Russian divisions. Good news from this sector was well needed to bolster the Axis hope.

24-1.jpg

August 27th,

Germany kept losing on the west front. They had reinforced it with fresh troops, but Allied forces seemed to grow as well – probably drawn from other less threatened fronts. Still, Germany had some fresh troops, soon ready for deployment and hoped they could make a change.

23-1.jpg

August 27th, 1939

During the second half of August, the German push in the north has drawn to a halt. Perfect defensive situation for the Russians made in unsuitable for any offensives. Instead, the forces there have restructured somewhat, creating a defensive line along the river while liberating about three army-corps to shift from the northern to the middle front. The Russians have a good defensive line here as well, but not a secure back. The Italians have been making a successful push and breached the Russian line here. As the Russian center is trembling, Germany hopes to overwhelm them from the north.

In the south, a small airfield has been re-captured, making it harder for the enemy’s planes to operate.

…..

Author’s note: Few things actually went as planned during this session. The diplomatic situation in Belgium had come as a surprise, the lack of suitable stockpiles was a complete lapse from my side and I was overall disappointed by the performance of my troops (or my skill with them). Russians defended better than expected and the Allies attacked better than expected. I felt truly pessimistic after this session.

I’m losing in the west and expect Belgium to join the Allies, at least within 3-4 months. I’ll put all my new troops there, and I actually have quite a lot coming up soon; a full army-corps and a panzer division within a weak. That should give me some opportunities. I must recapture the West Wall and consolidate a defensive line there. Then, in the best of worlds, I can do something about the Benelux threat.

This will mean that I wont put any new troops on the Russian front. It will mean little in the short term but eventually, if no Russian troops are captured, the advance will come to a stop. Italy might deploy new troops, but not in any decisive numbers. The Japs are doing well. Zid have some nice plans and can be expected to have good progress. But we all know how little Japanese victories will matter in the short run.

Soon, Japan must open a second front to UK and pull at their attention. We’ll see what happens then. Germany will need lesser British attention on the west front.

Still, in the game described in Wildfires, Axis won anyway. But at that time, Axis had both Hungary and Yugoslavia as allies, filling up the ranks. And cred to Daphne (USSR). He is a very skilled defensive player - smothering me like a wet heavy fur blanket...

2-2.jpg

August 27th, 1939
The joint French/Anglo forces continued to press on. To stop the Germans from reinforcing the critical battles, like Neunkirchen, they made stalling attacks elsewhere when they spied German movements. It succeeded in stopping the Germans, but at a high cost in men, as the allied troopers up north had to fight during terrible circumstances – attacking over a river into dug in defenders.

Luftwaffe now defended better than before. It had taken some time for the German leadership to work out a suitable strategy, hindered also by the attack on Denmark, but now they were on track. Here, they taught the French bomber pilots an important lesson in good manners…

Still, the German troops in Neunkirchen had to fight without any incoming reinforcements.

4-3.jpg

August 28th, 1939

The relation between Belgium and the Allies are getting warmer. A Belgium entry into the war right now would be devastating. The German leadership told their diplomats, in harsh language, to do better. They continued their defensive war on the western front with dogged determination.

5-3.jpg

August 28th, 1939

Good news. Japan has crushed the last remnant of China and her allies. Now they can focus wholehearted on Soviet Union and perhaps even UK in a not too distant future. The fatherland needs all available help right now.

1-3.jpg

August 28th, 1939

This is the rough plan for the autumn offensive in Russia, Operation Storm. Germany have left a defensive screen in the northern part of the front and drawn all free units to the center, just north of the river Narew. From here they would support Italy’s successful push and try to overwhelm the Russians while they had a lot of forces tied up north where it was stuck behind the great marshes (with infra 10).

::Johann Keller had busy days. His idea of supplying Wehrmacht with dairy products, mainly for the officers, had been a success. As war erupted on all sides, the troops needed an enormous amount of troops and there is few ways to motivate a soldier than giving him good food. Very quickly, Wehrmacht wanted more than he had but Johann quickly pulled together the local farmers, all old friends to his family, to a huge meeting. They couldn’t turn down the deals he offered them and soon he was the middleman, selling all their dairy products to the Wehrmacht.::

::It was like tossing a snowball from the top of a mountain. The army’s needs were endless and if you only could provide the goods, you could find really good deals. Money was pouring in. The problem, however, was lack of some specific materials. Every time his, or some of his farmers, factories need rubber, unusual spare parts or any rare materials, he had to go through hell and back to provide it. Was Germany this unprepared for a great war? Johann couldn’t really doubt the Führer. He had provided the country with so much since he took his office and Johann couldn’t really doubt him. In the Führer he would trust. What else were there…?::

This looks bad, although the situation is NOT AS BAD as it may seem to be at a glance. Yes, the Allies are pushing forward, but it's not a matter of life and death ATM. It's certainly not Blitzkrieg. Also, you should be able to put more troops in the West soon, which should make your defence line stronger.

Contrary to my previous statements about lack of importance of colonies etc., I think that in this case they may matter (mostly because of no-reserves rule and 1938 start). I don't see any potential for grand encirclements in the West anytime soon, so even thought it may turn out to be a false prediction, I think that attrition warfare will be dominant in the Western Front. That's why every bit of IC and MP the Japs take from the Allies start to matter. You are outgunned ATM and everything that lessens the military and economic disparity between the Allies and the Axis is important.

Also, I think that you can forget any easy rides to Moscow. This Soviet player is much better than the one who played the SOV in one of your AARs (and got overwhelmed quickly). You should focus on the IC, MP and resource provinces in Ukraine. The terrain is also better there, so it's a natural choice. Of course, if the SOV player makes a blunder, then you should use it as an opportunity to hit them hard :)

When (if) you manage to stabilise things in the West, you could consider hitting Netherlands fast and hard. More specifically, you should hit their capital. They probably have plenty of rares and you will take ALL their resources when you capture their capital. You don't even need to advance that far, but just enough to reach Amsterdstam. The Japs could hit Dutch VP provinces in the Pacific, too. This would cause them to surrender quickly.

Last edited:
I agree with Cybvep on the whole really, things are looking a bit threatening at the moment. I did say before about focusing almost entirely on Russia first, but you simply can't afford to press on against the Russians without a secure back, therefore it's imperative that you take back the west wall as a main priority, meaning that you won't require quite as many men over there to defend it effectively. Netherlands is interesting too; it will widen the front yes but it will also have the effect of forcing the allies to stretch their forces too and, providing the ports are protecting, it will secure your flanks against a potential French invasion (the resource issue as Cybvep says is also important).

Your offensive plan seems good in the east though, the main target really should be pushing the Russians back as far as you can in order to give yourself breathing space until the Wehrmacht can grow larger; in order to fight a 1940 spring offensive to push in from the Ukraine into Moscow (optimistic I know). By 1940 if you find yourself in this situation (west secure and pressing against Russia positively) I think you can say well done; the most risky time in the short term will be gone, apart from long term MP concerns, and hopefully Japan will have been able to threaten British held India by that time, drawing over at least 2 corps I would imagine should he decide to defend it properly...

Keep strong cpteasy, this is going to be one hell of a ride I reckon! ;)

This looks bad, although the situation is NOT AS BAD as it may seem to be at a glance.

I like that, Cybvep :) I need encouragement…

Also, I think that you can forget any easy rides to Moscow. This Soviet player is much better than the one who played the SOV in one of your AARs (and got overwhelmed quickly). You should focus on the IC, MP and resource provinces in Ukraine. The terrain is also better there, so it's a natural choice. Of course, if the SOV player makes a blunder, then you should use it as an opportunity to hit them hard :)

When (if) you manage to stabilise things in the West, you could consider hitting Netherlands fast and hard. More specifically, you should hit their capital. They probably have plenty of rares and you will take ALL their resources when you capture their capital. You don't even need to advance that far, but just enough to reach Amsterdstam. The Japs could hit Dutch VP provinces in the Pacific, too. This would cause them to surrender quickly.

I hope Operation Storm can deliver quite a massive pounding on USSR, and if Daphna/USSR are going to do a mistake – then it’s then and there. If not, taking ground at this slow pace will be too much of Pyrrhic victories. Operation Storm must be my savior or the eastern crusade will be a lost cause.

I like your thinking in the west. But I am too weak. So far, it’s just a nice fantasy to launch anything against the Netherlands.

Very interesting! Things look quite bleak, but focusing on the Soviet Union first might indeed prove to be the best option now....

Things are looking a bit threatening at the moment. I did say before about focusing almost entirely on Russia first, but you simply can't afford to press on against the Russians without a secure back, therefore it's imperative that you take back the west wall as a main priority, meaning that you won't require quite as many men over there to defend it effectively.

Your offensive plan seems good in the east though, the main target really should be pushing the Russians back as far as you can in order to give yourself breathing space until the Wehrmacht can grow larger

Exactly. I need both to secure the West and have a decisive success with Operation Storm at the same time. It’s not impossible. If I can just cross the river, it’s quite a lot of plains in the mission area which will suit both me and the Italians (who have 3 light armor divisions there). But as Spinoza puts it – it’s a little bleak…

Keep strong cpteasy, this is going to be one hell of a ride I reckon! ;)

That’s the spirit in which Operation Storm was planned. The dream of the 3rd Reich is still alive!

Hm, it looks like you will be forced to adjust your priorities, if you don't want your industry to collapse due to a lack of rares. You might be forced to dealy further offensives against Russia in order to (hopefully) capture the stocks of the Benelux countries. The Soviet player seems to be competent enough to draw you into a war of attrition anyway, so progress there is going to be slow - probably too slow to prevent the Allies from pushing further into Germany.
I guess, it's time for Japan and Italy to declare war on the Allies in order to relief some pressure. Otherwise, it might be too late.

Yes, that is only sensible call - a quest for rares. East has to wait while West is pacified, or Italy has to go for Persia/Middle East, but I doubt Italy has enough resources for anything like that. This time I root for cheated SU :)

You should really invest in the Armoured divs, BTW...

I am, I am :) But those panzers don’t just show up on the board overnight when you wish for them ;)

Hm, it looks like you will be forced to adjust your priorities, if you don't want your industry to collapse due to a lack of rares. You might be forced to dealy further offensives against Russia in order to (hopefully) capture the stocks of the Benelux countries. The Soviet player seems to be competent enough to draw you into a war of attrition anyway, so progress there is going to be slow - probably too slow to prevent the Allies from pushing further into Germany.
I guess, it's time for Japan and Italy to declare war on the Allies in order to relief some pressure. Otherwise, it might be too late.

Yes, that is only sensible call - a quest for rares. East has to wait while West is pacified, or Italy has to go for Persia/Middle East, but I doubt Italy has enough resources for anything like that. This time I root for cheated SU :)

Dain, you have a point. Still, at this point, SU is wavering in the center and my forces are just line up, ready to go. It felt like a bad time to shift focus to the west.

Didn’t plan to bring Italy into the war. As they are bogged down at the SU-border with the bulk of their best units, opening up their entire belly to the Brits felt dangerous indeed. But for Japan, I agree.

Traks, you are right that Italy is too weak for any other offensives. They are even too weak to defend their own ass if you ask me. What do you mean by a “cheated SU”?

All because of no M.-R. pact :)
Looks like Aachen is captured, isn't it? May be a good thing to fall back behind the river to Karlsruhe.

Exactly. Maybe Joachim von Ribbentrop had a valid point there… Aachen has fallen, yes. I’m trying my best to find good defensive positions and there are still quite good options for that.

…..

Sorry for a break in posting rate. Have been away a couple of days. New post this evening.

Sudden Carnage

Chapter X – Operation Storm, Part I

Countries played by humans: UK, France, Soviet Union, Germany, Italy, Japan

Recap: The German advance in the northern part of USSR has drawn to a stop. At the same time, the Allies push unmercifully in the west and gain land – province by province. German stockpile of Rare Materials are slowly running low and Belgium is drifting quite fast towards the views of the western democracies. It looks dark indeed for the Third Reich. There are some brighter specks of light, however. Japan is gaining ground against USSR in the Far East and talk is they might challenge the Allies soon. Italy has punched a little hole in the Russian center and now Wehrmacht launch Operation Storm to overwhelm the Soviet forces, already pulling back. The Joint Italian/German forces need a decisive victory if they are going to have the possibility to push Soviet back on a broader front.

Italy and Japan is only in war with USSR (and not the Allies).

45.jpg

August 29th, 1939

The German push across the river Narew has started. The Red Army had planned a few deadly traps, but too few to really matter. At the same time, Italy reaches further into the Russian center. Operation Storm starts according to plan…

47-1.jpg

The river Narew.

A little bit too wide to traverse comfortable while shot at. The German were superior in both numbers and skill, and at least one division had a brigade of engineers to support them. The Russians could only hope to stall the attackers – not stop them.

6-3.jpg

Septmeber 3rd, 1939

With Kamien Koszyrski conquered and a bridgehead obtained, the Germans could press on relentlessly. Still, the Russians had good cover in the woods, making it difficult for the charging Germans who sometimes ended up in ambushes. Still, the Red Army in Poworsk had seen a lot of resent battle and was in bad shape.

::1st Armor hade stared at the River Narew before their first clash with the Russian, fearing to cross it during combat. Several months and combats later, they crossed it peacefully after the infantry had cleared the entire province of the Red Army. Now, Heinrich Hahn, named “the Rooster” after his wild but skilled maneuvering at the Swedish Mountain, was at the frontline with his friends. He had started to get used to fighting in the woods and with very few words the tanks crews could communicate to act together in a smooth way even if fairly dense forests.::

::This time, they fought against a Russian light tank brigade. They moved quicker in the woods but Michael Wittmann continuously outsmarted them and with Heinrich by the levers, Bobby Woll got several nice opportunity of blasting Russian tanks from the side or back – and he never missed. They already had the lead in the regiment of destroying the most enemy tanks.::

::Heinrich bashed through a wide, thorny shrubbery, breaking some birch saplings as he went. Even though the enemy had heard their powerful engines before, they hadn’t seen them. Seeing the steel monster bursting out of the thick summer green thicket must have scared them shitless. A few Red Army infantry men who had been squatting in behind some smaller trees up front fled in panic to avoid getting crushed by the tracks. Some got away and some got hit in the back by the radio operator’s machine gun, sitting next to Heinrich. Two light tanks, T-40ies according to Michael, stood close by guns aimed at a clearing to the right. It would have been the obvious way for Henirch to go, so he’d take another route even if it was hard going. But he knew he could handle the panzer in most terrains. Bobby hit the first T-40 before they even started to turn their towers.”

“Head on!” Wittman barked. “They wont crack our front armor”.

::A few weeks earlier they’d gotten extra armor plating and during test shooting only the heavier Russian guns could penetrate. Heinrich steered straight towards the second tank, engine screaming. The distance was already short but he couldn’t help giving more gas causing the huge Panzer to leap forwards. It felt like a good old chicken race. The last T-40 turned its tower towards them while Bobby’s loader worked the fastest he could to get a new armor piercing round into the main gun. But the Rus was loaded and with a clear view. Heinrich stared right into the barrel of the gun when it blasted away. It hit them in the middle of the front and for Heinrich it was like a huge body slam. He knocked his forehead into some instrument and lost contact with reality for a split second. Then he heard their own main gun answer followed by a great explosion and he knew this battle was over. While he blinked tears from his eyes he hoped Michael wouldn’t try this tactic too often.::

7-2.jpg

September 4th, 1939

On the southern frontline, a joint Italian/German offensive just north of Lwow was met with success and the Red Army was driven back with serious casualties. The German’s were a bit too weak, in this sector, to really be able to use the momentum. They were at least pulling at the attention of the Russian leadership - away from the center.

8-2.jpg

September 7th, 1939

On the west front, things were far from peaceful. The Allies continued their relentless attacks and Germany had to fend off in numerable places. Some battles, like in Düren, were extremely hard while others, like the Allied delaying attack on Köln were lighter. Many attacks were thrown back but yet another province fell. Under the Allied onslaught, Germany could do nothing but defend. The only attacks were of pure defensive kind.

With Luftwaffe working better, the Allied casualties started to be slightly higher than Germany’s. That was somewhat reassuring.

11-2.jpg

September 10th, 1939

During the last two weeks, the only lost province is Neunkirchen in the center. However, the Allies are obviously consolidating the north and the French continuously attacking in the south. German leadership is eagerly awaiting two fresh panzer brigades to attach to the lone brigade of motorized infantry in the south (3rd from bottom). The frog-eaters will have a hard time dealing with panzers.

10-2.jpg

September 10th, 1939

Good news indeed. Our faithful Allies are fulfilling their deal of the pact. Now, UK would have little more things to deal with than backing up the French.

Author’s note: Even though Japan declared a limited war but automatic chain-events followed that pulled Italy into the war against Allies. None of these events had anything to do with German actions (UK got pop ups which he closed before he realized their importance – so we’re not really sure what happened). It was not at all according to our plans and Italy was virtually caught with his pants down. It was yet another set back in our original plan.

::Johann Keller, the merchant who started out with his cheese, did not know what to make of it. It was good of course that Germany got some help, but it also meant that all hope of reaching a peace agreement anytime soon went away. Johann didn’t even dislike the Brits. And then there were another thing. He had started to feel the first tingling sensations of a new feeling. Shame. His closest friends, Lucas and Heinrich, were out there in the mud, risking their life. Johanns brother was out there too as well as half the men in his own age. Still, he was the one getting the praise of the family. He was the “great man” in the village he grew up. As a newly signed party member and food deliverer to the Wehrmacht he was invited to parties and meetings and met some semi-prominent people. He had even been drinking wine with an SS man in black uniform. It felt strange. He knew he was climbing straight towards the top-layer of German society but it left a sour taste in the back of his mouth. He wanted to do something more hands on to help them out.::

12-2.jpg

September 10th, 1939

Japan immediately attacked Great Britain in Hong Kong and Kuching.

14-2.jpg

September 10th, 1939

Another German victory on the East Front. Dog-tired Russian troops stumble backwards with Germans snapping at their heels. The plan still seems to unfold nicely – except that the own casualties still are a bit too high.

This section of the front is strangely lacking any planes. Luftwaffe is more or less concentrated on the West Front with Regia Aeronatica tying down the Russian air force, with some help of Japanese zeros. Still, none of these planes, neither Axis or Russian, showed up over the German troops in the center.

::The battle of the woods of Poworsk lasted for about a week. There were a lot of defending Russians but they were all battle-tired and badly organized. Otherwise, it would have been a very tough battle. Still, 1st had taken casualties and a few battalions were missing or had ended up within the area of another division. It would take some time to get everything in order again. Heinrich was happy about the break, even if he knew it would be sort. The Panzer needed some minor repairs and maintenance – and he needed to stretch out a little to. During combat they sometimes spent more than 12 hours in a row in the cramp panzer which left the body aching. He had busted his right eyebrow too. It wasn’t bad but as they got hit by the Russian tank he’d been left with a bad headache and a whistling sound in his ears for two days. He needed a break before he was ready to attack again.::

15-2.jpg

September 11th, 1939

The retreating Russian got little chance to dig in or reorganize and started to suffer badly. This is the “overwhelm strategy” at its best. The problem, however, was that the Russians had plenty of reserves and it was not likely that the German spear-head could keep the momentum much longer.

::It became a very short break during which he was working with the Panzer during all waking hours. Heinrich Hahn felt tired as they continued the advance, but the rush of battle quickly made him crystal clear. What made him happier was the fact that the Russians suffered a lot worse than he did. Operation Storm rolled on steadily.::

nice counter attack, from my knowledge of the game, USSR will always be hard pressed in one way or the other, if it opts for aggressive strategy against Germany.

Either less advanced troops, worse officer ratio, or simply worse doctrines. They might even "run out" of good commanders for that amount of troops, in offensives that early in the game (is commander emergence dependant on time, officer rate or army size?)

certainly with the Far East front they need a whole lot more attention and troops investment. They may not get access to the best ministers either, although I'm not entirely sure if they can get Kirill Meretskov as chief of staff with org regain boost. It certainly looks like soviet ground troops are getting quite shattered with their low organization regaining (or morale). At least by the looks of that last battle. Mr. Susaikov the soviet commander there is a skill4 general, who really should be at the army level or higher, directing the battle, and not in command of mobile divisions. Something fishy going on in here, though it may be just that SOV has maxed out on his command structures, enabling fewer good generals to give the benefits to the largest amount of troops, in a single theater. Or that simply soviet has been using auto-assignment and not cared :D

But they might still have quite many of those troops, where as your troops look quite stretched at the moment :(
To my eye it seems like short term you're pretty squeezed, but the way USSR should be having that dis-organized officer corps modifier until they win the winter war, which limits leadership. Also depending soviets generally speaking must make choice between up to date doctrines, and other advanced military tech. Doctrine developing takes some time even with land combat experience, but bad tech is even more expensive and dangerous for Russia to overcome, in the middle of a land war.

nice counter attack, from my knowledge of the game, USSR will always be hard pressed in one way or the other, if it opts for aggressive strategy against Germany.

Either less advanced troops, worse officer ratio, or simply worse doctrines. They might even "run out" of good commanders for that amount of troops, in offensives that early in the game (is commander emergence dependant on time, officer rate or army size?)

certainly with the Far East front they need a whole lot more attention and troops investment. They may not get access to the best ministers either, although I'm not entirely sure if they can get Kirill Meretskov as chief of staff with org regain boost. It certainly looks like soviet ground troops are getting quite shattered with their low organization regaining (or morale). At least by the looks of that last battle. Mr. Susaikov the soviet commander there is a skill4 general, who really should be at the army level or higher, directing the battle, and not in command of mobile divisions. Something fishy going on in here, though it may be just that SOV has maxed out on his command structures, enabling fewer good generals to give the benefits to the largest amount of troops, in a single theater. Or that simply soviet has been using auto-assignment and not cared :D

But they might still have quite many of those troops, where as your troops look quite stretched at the moment :(
To my eye it seems like short term you're pretty squeezed, but the way USSR should be having that dis-organized officer corps modifier until they win the winter war, which limits leadership. Also depending soviets generally speaking must make choice between up to date doctrines, and other advanced military tech. Doctrine developing takes some time even with land combat experience, but bad tech is even more expensive and dangerous for Russia to overcome, in the middle of a land war.

The retreating Russian got little chance to dig in or reorganize and started to suffer badly. This is the “overwhelm strategy” at its best. The problem, however, was that the Russians had plenty of reserves and it was not likely that the German spear-head could keep the momentum much longer.
I'm little pessimistic here. It's no that the player-controlled USSR doesn't have IC or MP to reinforce their troops and ATM you are pushing forward, but not forming any encirclements. Lack of panzers is evident - you don't have enough mobile troops for proper exploitation. That's why I think that they are so important - even a couple of LARMs could make a difference if they would cooperate with motorised divs. Your strikes should be shocking and overwhelming - without superior firepower and sufficient mobile troops you can only hope to reach IC/MP/resource provinces in Ukraine, but not to win the war. It's a good short-term plan aimed at survival, but that's it.

Of course, things will be easier if the Soviet player makes a blunder, but he seems to be doing fine. However, there may be a chance that he put too many troops in the south, which would allow you to trap at least some of them in the potential pocket.

Last edited:
USSR player here.

Encouraged by CptEasy, I will try to post my comments on the story here, to save all honest readers from being brain washed by the german propaganda.

Regarding the early USSR entry into the War of German Aggression, we saw several advantages, including 1) earlier changes to war laws, 2) earlier trade agreement cancellations, 3) opportunity to advance into occupied Poland before the Germans could fortify their defensive positions. I was unsure of how the unmobilized Red Army would perform against the Wermacht so it was with some doubts that we crossed the border. The first battle reports were quite encouraging though, and we also had the psycological strength in knowing that from now on, we would only grow stronger.

Feel free to ask more specific USSR questions! I will answer them, obviously without too many details should they be matters of national security.