• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Book III: Meryasek the Wizard

Chapter 1: The warden question

Gwynek-Thechild.jpg

“A five year old toddler cannot rule this land alone.”

These words by Maelgwns older brother Gwgran, are spoken shortly after the burial of the duke. And true they are … someone has to look after Gwynek the child and takes the decisions on Cornwall’s future. At the funeral in Tintagel castle, five powerful courtiers make their demands on becoming warden of Gwynek:
* His mother Eadilberga of Essex, who wants to protect her child and his claims, especially against Gorlas ‘Child of Love’, the bastard son of her husband. The anglo-saxon widow is secretly supported by the diocese bishop Rhodri Cerniw, a brother of Maelgwn the Toothless ... who is her lover.
* Gwrgan Cerniw, the eldest son of Bleddyn Cerniw. He was pretermitted when duke Cadoc died, now he craves for more power. His wife, the young Lombardian lady Gisela von Mühlhausen, is the chancellor of Cornwall, which backs his ambitions.
* Ygerna Cerniw, the youngest daughter of Cadoc the Canny. Adored by the Cornish people and serving as a steward in Cornwall, she wants to help her grand-cousin Gwynek to stay in power. Additionally, her husband Meryasek “The Lidless”, is an uncle of Gwynek … but less popular cause of his suspicious manners.
* Meryasek Colvile, marshal and defender of Cornwall. He was a loyal servant of Maelgwn, but the court conspired once against him and accused him of using black magic during the war. Since then, he is known as ‘The Wizard’, although all the accusations were discharged. On the other side – the soldiers admire him.
* Cryda Cerniw, Maelgwn’ sister and former lover. Her chance to become Gwynek’s warden is very low, cause her fame is bad. The court has not forgotten the unholy love from her and her brother. The ‘Child of Love’ Gorlas, bastard son of both, is a visible sign of the incest. Some people even suspect that Cryda and her husband Caswyn Butler want to remove Gwynek and declare Gorlas as Maelgwns heir.

The debate begins, arguments are thrown back and force, and the discussion keeps on until the next morning …

Thewardenquestion.jpg

Last edited:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I call another halt. It’s your time now … what do you think on the warden question? Who has the best chance of becoming the warden of Gwynek? Who shall look at the young duke? Who shall shape Cornwall’s future, while Gwynek is under-aged?
Please discuss here, and use this poll:

http://www.99polls.com/poll_19657 [EDIT: New poll system without registration]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Ouch. Painful death, child regency, general unrest... but one killer chancellor. Man, this thing is filled with drama! :D

I voted Gwrgan, since it seems to me that he is in an excellent position to defend the young duke's interest and seems to have the character not to cheat him to badly. I didn't choose the new duke's mother because I could see her turning on her offspring if her lover the bishop maneuvers her in such and such a way.

Love the updates and good luck!

@phargle: Oops, I didn't know that people have to register for this site - I thought it's free.

EDIT: I 've found another site which is definitley free of registration. Please use this poll site: http://www.99polls.com/poll_19657 .And whoever voted for Gwgran above, please recur your vote.

(Translation: 'Abstimmen' = Vote, 'Ergebnis' = result)

Please vote all .. cause YOU decide who will be the warden.

Last edited:
I also voted for Cryda Cerniw

And BTW, that is a jolly-looking Pope you have there, a bit to much vino it seems :p

Voted the Wizard. Martial power is always good to keep the stability and stay in power. :p

Count Lake said:
Ack! people have voted for Cryda! The young duke won't last a year with that woman at the helm! Quick, more people vote for the other choices, any other choice!
Well, maybe that's why they vote for her? :p That could be rather fun...

I have to say 'the toothless' is a wonderfully uninspiring epithet :)

That sister incest thing was really strange. It can make for a great laugh the first time around (or a dramatic forbidden love story, depending on your point of view), but it happens way too much in DV that I think it probably loses impact after the third pair or so.

stnylan said:
I have to say 'the toothless' is a wonderfully uninspiring epithet :)
I agree. It's literally true but it's a bit unfair; I mean, sure he got his teeth knocked out of him, but he isn't toothless*. :p

a.k.a. cowardice.

P.S. Marshal Meryasek, "The Wizard"; is that a subtle reference to a certain Arthurian magician? ;) For that alone (and, well, as much as I like the whole Cryda affair, a disloyal spymaster guardian is baaaad), I'll vote for him.