• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Name: Big Jowan
----------------
Climbing: 5
Alertness: 1
Dagger: 1
Poison: 1
Stealth: 2
Expertise: 5

It was the Wizard! His vengeance reaches beyond the grave he was brutally sent to.

SPIES OF THE DAGGER MAID

Gluiucen Cerniw has hired 9 SPIES for Cornwall.

Spy1-JowanPalehandFavel.jpg

Spy2-KenanBaragwaneth.jpg

Spy3-TalanVosper.jpg

Spy4-MedrodTruro.jpg

Spy5-GwynhwyferDaelfghra.jpg

Spy6-MaegalcarwenUnofra.jpg

Spy7-TalanOrdulffiliusBrun.jpg

Spy8-ManawyddanvonRedruth.jpg

Spy9-BigJowan.jpg

No further spies will be hired!

Last edited:
Chapter 5: The fall of Ulaid

The spies hired by Gluiucen are tough and soulless men and women, Cornish cutthroats and whistle-blowers. Their different abilities and strenghts - combined - seem to be perfect; and for a golden coin or two, they would do everything for the 'dagger maid'.
Their first task, concerning the murder of Cadan, is quickly fulfilled; two of the spies, Manawyddan of Redruth and Kenan Baragwaneth have heard some rumors.

Spy2-KenanBaragwaneth.jpg

Spy8-ManawyddanvonRedruth.jpg

The day Cadan has died, a french bishop has visited Tintagel - the bishop of Evreux. He quickly vanished after Cadan's body was found, and he has heatedly argued with one of his attenders, it is said. Also, several men of the bishop's guard were seen at the cliffs the day before. Did they now that the young duke Cadan loved to take a walk every day?
"They might have been involved in this malediction", Gluiucen slowly says. "At least, they might have seen the murderer. This french mucker will not get along with this ... even if a decade is delapsed. But I'm not in a hurry. First, I will brief my spies for their next missions ..."

While Gluiucen trains her spies and send them out like homers, concerning news reach the court of Cornwall in February 1152. Clydno "Dragonborn", the cornish pagan lord of Ulaid, is attacked by several enemies: the scottish duke of Moray and his ally, the welsh duke of Deheubarth. Additionally, the duke of Orkney declares war on Ulaid, and their fleets reach the irish coast.
"We shall help Clydno", Cristina O'Marr says. "Gwynek has admonished you to preserve the Dragonborn ..."
"Well, if he's a dragon, he can help himself", Zethar japes. "I will not sacrifice a single man for those faithless river worshippers ... and now excuse me, mother, I have to go to church."
The Cornish troups don't move, and so, the end has come for the heir of Kaye Pendragon. In April, 27th, 1152, Ulaid is lost to the siege machines of Orkney, and Chester falls into the hands of Deheuberth. With Gwent being the last possession of the Pendragon clan, they failed the historical request of saving the pagan faith ... at least, for now.

FallofUlaid.jpg

But Zethar 's dormancy has shattered his reputation. He has not supported cornish blood, pagan or not. Is the new duke of Cornwall a wimp, a crestfallen parson?
Zethar is willing to confute this. He has heard about the scottish province Caithness, which is occupied by a scattered moorish contingent. Ironically, the so-called "Sheik of Caithness" is a remoted uncle of Ichchaam Quasim, and he is backed by the bloodthirsty Sheik of Jaffa.
"A muslim sheikdom at Scotland? That does not make sense, it's weird! And if the scottish king is not capable of abolishing this blasphemy, Cornwall will help him!"
So, Zethar leads for the first time his troups towards Scotland, on heavy cornish barges ...

Zetharfirstwar.jpg

The "Sheik of Caithness" fails resoundingly and flees. Zethar, not being interested in the north of the British Isles, grants the forlorn province to his current chaplain Branwalather Grey, who becomes the first bishop of Caithness.
Zethar the Priest is pleased ...

BishopricofCaithness.jpg

... and even more pleased when he returns to Exteter, where his wife Flandina, daughter of the English king, bears a second child - this time, it's a girl. Sevi Cerniw is born, and the Cerniw dynasty further grows.

BirthofSevi.jpg

And Gluiucen? She presents her newborn niece a silvery dagger, and cuddles with the cute baby. But her gaze is aimed to Sevi's brother, little Donyerth.
The dagger maid has a plan, involving him.
A secret plot.

And soon, this plot will be achieved.

Last edited:
Chapter 6: The crown within reach

Luckily, Gluiucen is well-trained in genealogical research. She is well informed about the royal family. The current king, Bohemond de Bourgogne, is in power since several decades, and he is no longer a young man (39 years old). With two wives, he fathered two sons and two daughters; but his proper heir Odo has died some years ago as a crusader. (Good man, this Odo. Very devotional). His younger brother is named Roger, a 12 year old tomboy with strange habits (Gluiucen's spies are reporting that he loves to tantalize dogs and foals). To nurture his son, king Bohemond has sent Roger to Bristol as a fosterling ... which is, as we know, part of the Cornish demesne.
Beyond this young boy, the king has no further heirs of his own dynasty. His first daughter Mathilda has just delivered girls, and his second daughter Flandina ... Flandina, yes ... well, she has a son: Donyerth Cerniw
And if Gluiucen guesses right, he must be the second heir in the sucession row.

TheCrownPlot.jpg

"That's it", the dagger maid whispers."If this annoying boy Roger would disappear, we could have a Cornish king soon! My sweet nephew Donyerth, with a cute crown on his head ... oh well, and Bristol is perfect for a silent attack. My spies are familiar with this province, and the spymaster of the castle is a drunkard."
She calls her spies - in secret, of course. Her brother Zethar shall not find out about her plot.
"Go to Bristol", she instructs the spies. "Wait until dawn, and then catch this boy Roger. Abduct him, for Cornwall's future! Quick!"

800px-Sunrise_in_Constanta%2CRomania.JPG

And so, one night, nine hooded persons lurk around Bristol castle.

Is is raining, all is quiet, and the guards are laughing and singing in the yard. They are blissfully ignorant that this night, a sneaky attack will happen.
And the boy Roger is sleeping in his chamber, innocent as them.

Last edited:
-------------------------------------
Here we go, spies of Cornwall! Your first mission has started:

Abduct Roger de Bourgogne out of Bristol castle.

This is a map of Bristol castle.

Bristolcastle.jpg

The cutline:
A=forecourt
B=main court
C=keep
1=stables
2=guard house
3=armory
4=tower
5=living space
6=main building

Every spy can choose how he/she wants to enter the castle.

I.) Try to climb the wall of the forecourt {Climbing check easy}
II.) Try to climb the wall of the main court {Climbing check difficult}
III.) Try to sneak past the door keeper {Stealth difficult}

Other ways are blocked by guards or higher walls.

Checks: Hexoganal dice (d6) are thrown, referring to your ability number. An easy check means that you need one dice with a 5 or 6 to succed. Difficult check means that you need one dice with a 6 to succed.
After you have chosen an option, Performer will throw the dices for you ...

Go, spies! And praise the dagger maid!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Big Jowan will try to climb the walls of the main court, B

Gluiucenu ackbar
Another possibility ... but why did his magic bolt kill Cadan and not Gwynek, who betrayed him in the end?
He's beyond reach. There is also the rumored beach ghost.

The Lidless was also quick to pop in and blame the mother.

@ IamWhoa: Oh yes, the beach ghost ;-) ... some rumors may be true! And the Lidless was definitely a profiteer in this situation.
I like your ideas ...

@ Enewald: Killing sweet Donyerth, the heir of Cornwall? Gluiucen would never do this ... she loves her nephew.

More spy reactions, please ...

Very nice, yes...
Gonna keep following this, seems like a really nice AAR :)

Damn if I knew we were going to do this then I would have picked better stats.

Hehe ... apparantely, the dagger maid has shanghaied you ;-)

"No, no dangers ... you just ask around a bit ... sign here, and another drink, my friend?"

*grin*

Edit:So we just wait for Kenan Baragwaneth (kadvael56's spy) ...

Interesting set up you have, there is no guard between the forecourt and main court. Upon entering the main court you would be hidden behind the stables but if you climb the main court walls you are likley to be in full view of the guardhouse.

Interesting set up you have, there is no guard between the forecourt and main court. Upon entering the main court you would be hidden behind the stables but if you climb the main court walls you are likley to be in full view of the guardhouse.

Well, who knows what is behind the walls? ;-)