• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(323395)

Second Lieutenant
Jun 1, 2011
Hiyas!

It's been a while. Again. I know. But these are very hectic times because of all the things that are going on! Soon it will be even more hectic, and you'll find out soon enough – as usual :)

Now let's talk some more about the Starvoid setting. This week, I intend to write you a short story about how a day at work is for a mercenary commander working for the Starvoid Corporations outside the Nexus Edge.

The story will be out of Hellfire Kelly's perspective – an Ordnance Commander available in the game.

kelly_concept.jpg
Hellfire Kelly concept

Kelly woke up. She was on her ship – thankfully. There were several gaps in her memories from last night, one of them was how she actually got home. Maybe she should have been a bit more careful on the booze since there was a new fight today, but a win is a win. She could still feel the taste of whiskey and tobacco in her mouth. She wanted a drink – but considering the circumstances, a proper breakfast was the better choice.

After, Kelly got a notice from an incoming delivery ship. It was the new weapon upgrades for her droids that she had ordered. She would have wanted them for the fight the day before today, but of course no one can be on time in these forsaken parts of the galaxy. And the fight did go well anyway. She reckoned it would make a nice addition to today's fight though, since she would most likely be facing several of the commanders from yesterday. Some new surprises among her forces could make a nice trick.

It is not unusual that commanders that operate in the same area get to know each other, and each others strategies, pretty well – it is a peculiar relationship between them though. One day they might need to trust each other completely in combat, and the next day they might be facing each other in the midst of the fray. It all depends on which Corporation they end up fighting for that day. Either way they usually end up at the same bar the following night, drinking and discussing the clash that took place – but they are always careful not to reveal to much of their business secrets, because it might come back to haunt them the very next day.

Once the ordered upgrades were delivered, Kelly had her on-ship mechanical droid crew take the parts into engineering bay where the upgrades were to be applied. The parts ordered was a set of armor piercing Borecoils for her Sirens – a very welcome addition to her arsenal since she knew that Alberto will be on the opposing side in the battle, and he had done well with his heavy tanks the day before.

The battle was on a close by planet where new raw Starvoid discoveries had been made. Kelly had gotten the coordinates, the the strike would take place at noon, local time. She was there well in time, ready to deploy. She saw several other merc ships in orbit, and more of them incoming. By the time the battle was to start, she could see at least a dozen ships. She thought to herself that this would be a full scale engagement – and it was.

Today, Kelly's team lost the battle. It was off with a good start where she did, as planned, take out Alberto's heavy tanks and several of the other commanders' units as well and successfully captured the majority of the extraction points. However, Alberto was prepared and switched his setup as he redeployed. The battle was long and tough, but in the end the opposing side pushed Kelly's team all the way back to their deployment point, and forced their Corporation to withdraw, leaving the other Corp with full control over the area's Starvoid deposits.

At night, Kelly again went to the bar at the local sector station. There she met up with the majority of the commanders from today's fight, where they discussed the battle. She had a decent time and was about to get back into good mood when Alberto entered the bar, with a wide grin, “Nice fight, wasn't it, Kelly?” he said, “Too bad I read you like an open book, HAHA!”. Kelly knocked back her glass of whiskey and stared at him. “I guess we're even then.” she replied. “We'll see if I can swipe that grin of your face the next time we meet.”

The rest of the night was spent at the bar, but well out of sight of Alberto. Kelly didn't actually mind not winning, but she hated to she the satisfaction in her opponent's faces as they did. Thankfully, she never had to wait for long until the opportunity for payback came. There was already a corporate message about a new mission waiting for her at the ship for when she got back...

-

Ye, that's it. I hope this gives you a slightly better insight into the every day life of the mercenary commanders in the outer edges of the galaxy.

As usual – take care. And I hope to see you around, especially the upcoming days, because there might just be something special that happens pretty soon!

-
Rasmus Davidsson, Game Director at Starvoid

Last edited: