• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Toio said:
wool does not work for florida as well as fish, but fish is wrong as well.

main goods for florida , in order was

crops
cattle
cotton

Is crops, wheat ?

Right, but I don't know if that would make Everglades more desirable for Spain. Grain certainly has that extra use for troop upkeep but I have no idea if AI takes it into account when colonizing. In my game, Everglades was colonized by England at the end of 18th century.

About grain, we have the same problem in Luzon. It is obvious other two provinces of the Philippines are more desirable for Spain because of spices (at least for those who can observe it). I saw many times Netherlands colonizing Luzon on the road to Taiwan because of the low "value" for Spain. But it never happens for the other two provinces.

We have to take this value into account if we want Spain to perform historically. Only few areas are involved but failure is easily noticed for them.

I am pretty convinced that if you want an country to colonize a province like Everglades then it isn't going to happen by fiddling with the goods type (unless you gave it some ahistorical good, like wine or gold ;) ). I think there are two solutions. The first is to use a specific ai-only event which is triggered by owning certain other provinces. The event changes Spain's ai to have ONLY the area with Everglades as its goal for colonization (and gives it 6 colonists and some cash at the same time). Another event would trigger as soon as Everglades is owned to revert to its previous ai file.

For players, you would need to give them events that essentially punish them for not colonizing Everglades. Not a popular move, most likely. :p

We have to find a solution between the two extremes, a good balance between gameplay and accuracy. If a little "cheat" about value of the province is necessary, it is fine for me, but only if it remains an exception.

If you ask me, France is the most overlooked when it comes to colonization. They deserve more attention than Spain. Whenever I play a historically non-colonizing power and late-comer to the New World in my game, I find Louisiana and Canada uncolonized. It looks funny. English, Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese have all filled in their historical colonial areas and there is only a large hole in the middle of North America that should be French.

Maybe France is missing the free colonists AI events that Spain and Russia get in abundance? Even as a player, I found it quite hard to colonize with France because they get few explorers and have their sliders stuck high on innovativeness and mercantilism. They also get the free shipyard quite late, the last among the colonizing powers.

YodaMaster said:
About grain, we have the same problem in Luzon. It is obvious other two provinces of the Philippines are more desirable for Spain because of spices (at least for those who can observe it). I saw many times Netherlands colonizing Luzon on the road to Taiwan because of the low "value" for Spain. But it never happens for the other two provinces.

We have to take this value into account if we want Spain to perform historically. Only few areas are involved but failure is easily noticed for them.

So I did a little research and here is what I think:

Luzon: Grain => Iron or Bullion & Gems
This part of the island was known for its mineral deposits (largely gold and copper) and while under Spanish rule, many were forced into its mines. If gold it should have a low mine value as it wasn't a major source for Spain

Mindoro: Tobacco => Orient
Tobacco wasn't introduced to the Philippines until late 16th century/early 17th century and I'm not sure it was the biggest resource for this province. This province was known as a trading center throughout the whole game period and traded away luxury items like pearls, tortoise shell, and cloth.

Samar: Spice => Fish
Spices were never a big part of the Philippine economy as after all these weren't the spice islands. Samar represent the Visayas which as a group had lots prime fishing grounds and were used off and on as naval grounds.

Mindanao: Spice => Sugar
Again spice wasn't a big part of what was grown in the Philippines. Also leaving spice in this province would make it the most desirable of the 4. I'm suggesting sugar as the northern portion was known for its sugarcane production.

Garbon said:
Again spice wasn't a big part of what was grown in the Philippines. Also leaving spice in this province would make it the most desirable of the 4. I'm suggesting sugar as the northern portion was known for its sugarcane production.

Sugar quickly grows to be as valuable as Spice, but maybe Gems and Bullion in Luzon should do the trick for making it the first to be colonized. I remember I always colonized it first with Spain, but this was because it has the highest success chance.

Lord Grave said:
If you ask me, France is the most overlooked when it comes to colonization. They deserve more attention than Spain. Whenever I play a historically non-colonizing power and late-comer to the New World in my game, I find Louisiana and Canada uncolonized. It looks funny. English, Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese have all filled in their historical colonial areas and there is only a large hole in the middle of North America that should be French.

Maybe France is missing the free colonists AI events that Spain and Russia get in abundance? Even as a player, I found it quite hard to colonize with France because they get few explorers and have their sliders stuck high on innovativeness and mercantilism. They also get the free shipyard quite late, the last among the colonizing powers.
Yes, it is a fact France underperforms in Louisiana. But not the right place to discuss this. Better go in North America thread.

Garbon said:
I'm OK with the rest of Garbon's suggestions, but I don't think that the Philippines had any significant sugar production on a global scale. It probably covered the domestic market with limited exports, but not enough to justify changing the province's goods which will cut into revenues of other sugar producers.

sturmvogel said:
I'm OK with the rest of Garbon's suggestions, but I don't think that the Philippines had any significant sugar production on a global scale. It probably covered the domestic market with limited exports, but not enough to justify changing the province's goods which will cut into revenues of other sugar producers.

That's fine. I'm wondering what we should do with this province though as I think spice is quite misleading.

with cornwall and devon having a history of 600plus years in tin mining.

what about a change to goods for cornwall from fish to either copper or iron.