• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think AoW has been pretty fun so far. Besides getting a random CB on myself as Air because my nation raided itself which caused over 50 ducets to vanish.

The TYW is badass. Seriously, how is this not World War 0?

HkWX6Ug.jpg

Now the turks have to join the Protestant League and we're set.

Is that *all the Scandinavian countries* in the Catholic League?

Is that *all the Scandinavian countries* in the Catholic League?

Yes and I like it that way. It's machiavellian politics.

France (catholic) hates Austria -> Joins Protestant league to weaken them.
England (protestant) hates France -> Joins Catholic league to hold back France
Scandinavia (protestant) fear an even stronger Prussia -> Joins Catholic league to rip Prussia a new one.

The only country which doesn't fit is Muscovy imho. Other than that it's just like the real TYW. Religion didn't matter as much as political considerations and power gain.

Well, I can't say I'm happy about how choppily it runs now, but most of the actual changes I like.

Not entirely sure I like the massive insta-rebellions; at least not in provinces that are being invaded. I just lost my entire Polish army in the Teutonic Order because they let their Heretic rebels rise up just a couple weeks after I split up my army into a 5K, a 6K and a 13K stack to siege their provinces. So I guess I lose that war because my target was having too much internal strife?

Hopefully it will be fixed soon, but 1.8 isn't really playable right now for me. Runs silky smooth paused though! :)

Did England get a buff of some kind? Usually i can never afford to keep the starting army, yet in AoW not only can i afford it i was still making a very nice income which has allowed me to play much more aggressively than in previous versions. Could be the trade change? Or was it simply because i doubled light ships this time... Could also be because i mothball my fleets now. Anyway, what ever it is i like it.

The new English Channel node is very lucrative, and England produces a lot of valuable goods (e.g. cloth), which really means something now that the value of goods is predetermined. As a result, in the 15th century England is the richest country in the world (except for maybe Ming).

I feel like it's a better game for the most part, but rebels are horribly imbalanced early on... mid-late game its about right. They have a lot of cleaning up to do though.

I've been playing a Timurid game for a few hours. Caveat is that I haven't played EU4 in a couple of months, so some of these changes might be pre-AoW ones.

What I noticed is that because of how AE is tied to base tax now (at least I think?), expanding into low tax provinces is now an efficient way to expand. No more cascading wars is awesome. Who's going to go to war and who isn't is much more transparent now, which is definitely an improvement. I suspect this will make an even bigger difference in Europe.

I like the simultaneous multi-province rebellions so far. They feel much more dangerous, as well as more fair - being able to see a rebellion build up steam over time makes you feel less like you've been screwed over by the RNG. I get the sense that harsh treatment is something you only enact in an absolute emergency now - it feels way too expensive to use as a regular tactic.

Also, very, very pleased that the cultural situation in China is now no longer Han and Cantonese but a nuanced patchwork ofrelated cultures. I might actually play a Chinese game at some point.

Splitting up the Manchu tag and adding all those provinces does wonders for the dynamism in that region. They all seem about equal strength, in the few decades I played the balance of power was constantly shifting between the different steppe tribes, which is very cool.

Last edited:
The League War was pretty fun. Prussia (me), France, Russia, Bohemia, Netherlands, and various minors against Austria, Poland, Lithuania, Sweden, and most of central Germany. Very bloody.

Broken localisation, 10/0. Theodoro is called FEO in my game for some stupid reason.

Not sure if the score you gave was a mistake but I'll continue a reply assuming it isn't. Anyways, assuming you're working on a scale with out of 10 and with a function of 10/0 then your score is "undefined." Since such a rating seems silly, I'll assume you mean the limit of 10/x as x approaches 0 which means you believe the expansion has an infinite score. Following that line and going off the comments, you view AoW as infinitely awful. Seems a bit harsh if your reasoning is that the localization for you is broken for one nation.

All that joking of the unusually scoring method aside, I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how much fun I'm having trying to find a strategy I can use as Air. I'm enjoying things much more with the expanded region. Oh and I noticed that, contrary to other people's experiences, I'm experiencing a slight boost in performance. Reminds me of how Minecraft 1.3 massively boosted the games performance on my laptop.

So far, in Art of War, I've...

• United the Jurchens and declared myself the successor to the Ming dynasty, expanding effortlessly into a revolt-torn China...
  • Found myself badly burnt when I mismanaged my autonomy during a boilerplate Muscovy campaign's conquest of the Caspian Sea...
  • Successfully westernized Mali, ensuring its mastery of West Africa, while fighting to keep trade gold from hemorrhaging to Iberia...

So I've barely scratched the surface, I guess. Still, things have been good so far, albeit with some clear teething issues that will need to be worked out over time, mostly relating to autonomy and colonization. Performance wise, I find that EU4 runs slower than before on my fairly low end computer, but not massively so; this bodes well for the scalability of the game in the future.

Not buying AoW and believe patch 1.8 is soundly terrible until these performance issues are sorted. 3x longer months are not acceptable.

I will give a true opinion of the actual gameplay from 1.8 if and only if the issues that are causing some % of people (but not all) to have a big performance dip are sorted in a reasonable timeframe. No matter how good or bad the mechanics changes might be, they're worthless if the game isn't reasonably playable ^_^.

Game plays fine for me but if it didn't I'd be extremely disappointed.

I'm playing as Ethiopia and with the fog of war i can see almost all Europe and part of India. It has been always like this? For the european countries the kingdom of ethiopia was like a myth.