• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Paradox Interactive does not have shareholders, it has Frederik Wester. The twice world swamp cycling and rumoured omnilinguial who rules Paradox WITH HIS IRON FIST! HA HA HA!

In all seriousness, I think this is essentially what he said in an interview about DRM. Where other game developers/publishers have to use DRM to settle the fears of the board, Frederik can basically set policy as he pleases.

Edit: Here is the interview. It does not actually confirm anything I said but it does leave the impression that Paradox either has a board that likes and understands the game business or that Fred Wester is essentially a one man board.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115497-Paradox-Chief-DRM-Is-a-Waste-of-Money

Just think what would happen if Gaben and Fred Wester worked together to develop a game. It would be glorious.

CKII will be up there now with CIV II, Sid's Alpha Centauri, Master of Magic (heh my online name and favorite game of all time), Medieval Total War I/Viking Invasion and XL mod, Combat Mission Africa Korps. ;) These ^ are the classics and will remain so for many decades to come.

With the exception of Combat Mission: AK, I totally agree. ;)

(oh, and I would add Europa Universalis 2 to the list)

I think it's BETTER than CIV V myself. I put CIV V down almost immediately after seeing how it played. CIV IV and CIV II are the best imho. CKII will be up there now with CIV II, Sid's Alpha Centauri, Master of Magic (heh my online name and favorite game of all time), Medieval Total War I/Viking Invasion and XL mod, Combat Mission Africa Korps. ;) These ^ are the classics and will remain so for many decades to come. ;)

Hey I never made a judgement on which was better. I mean I love my Civ, don't get me wrong, but I think CKII has taken place as favourite game ever.

Point is, in mainstream terms, Civ is by far the front runner in terms of a grand strategy brand names and could likely pull much bigger figures on name alone. I use the BF3/CoD example since earlier battlefield games had a much more nichey feel to them, even though they predated the CoD series, and CoD was selling like 100x what Battlefield games did. With BF3 it went head to head with CoD as 'the other frontrunning warfare FPS' and I felt kinda proud of it in a weird way, being a fan of the games since the Codename Eagle days - I'm saying I have good feelings for the CK brand that one day it could do the same. Not talking tacky 'CKIII is better than Civ6' ads or anything, but... well, you know what I mean. :p

Hopefully it's sold a lot, however we got to remember it still is at its heart a more niche title that a cross section of the gaming community would just stone wall out of hand so it would be wise to manage expectations a little http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ . I'd be surprised if it sold as well as, say, Civ 5 did in the opening weeks, since that has the brand awareness that crosses out of the strategy market a bit more. But I guess that would be the price for developing more hardcore strategy games and god love Paradox that they do.

I suspect whatever the case, it'll ultimately sell, or have sold, more than any other Paradox grand strategy game as it has more mainstream appeal than any previous title IMO. Hopefully enough to justify expansions and such. And as much as I love EUIII and whatnot CK seems like a franchise that could become a break out title that draws in a lot of new fans. I know of at least a few Paradox virgins who have jumped into CKII, so that's promising.

EDIT: Yeah according to the quote it seems I was right. Little surprise as CKII seems like the most 'AAA' hardcore strat game ever. :) I'm hoping CK can take on Civ head to head someday in a BF3/COD situation as it deserves the same, if not more, prestige associated with it in gaming.

All i Have to say to the bolded bit, is its a real shame that is the case. Paradox is what 2K should want to be......so butthurt over CiV still. But is the reason i found EU3 and hence Sengoku and CK2, so cant be all bad.

On topic, CK2 is never going to be the massive multi seller that other titles are privy to - most people dont have 60+ hours to spend on a game, let alone the 10 hours it takes your average person to leran the basics. But it is a gem as are the 2 other games i menion above. I have Vicky 2 as well, need to learn that too. I think Pdox could do a lot worse than making a decent 20 game play tutorial for each game to not just show what buttons you push - but WHY. Would make people that have tried demos stay alot more.

Pdox games have asteep curve, we get it, but most people dont have the patience, its a sorry state of the modern world

I think it's BETTER than CIV V myself. I put CIV V down almost immediately after seeing how it played. CIV IV and CIV II are the best imho. CKII will be up there now with CIV II, Sid's Alpha Centauri, Master of Magic (heh my online name and favorite game of all time)...

+1

Civ V was a real disappointment, this game is great, and with the popularity we ought to see an expansion or two to keep us playing happily for years.

+1

Civ V was a real disappointment, this game is great, and with the popularity we ought to see an expansion or two to keep us playing happily for years.

I for one am really excited that the game turned out so well. Can't hardly wait to see what the DLC is going to be and how much of it. I'm pretty sure sales have been a success and so hopefully they will keep their word on being able to play Pagans and Muslims and Mongols. ;)

Fredrik said on Twitter it broke the record for most copies sold in first 5 days for a Paradox game.

whoa.jpg