• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(703992)

First Lieutenant
2 Badges
Mar 15, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • March of the Eagles
I was wondering if anyone has tried coastal artillery as siege guns?
I appreciate they are slow but built on the coast and transported to coastal sieges I thought they might be a worthwhile option. With their rather high base attack number I thought they might result in a breach more quickly than normal guns. Feedback and response as always greatly appreciated :)

I have not tried it. The move speed is counterproductive to my offensive actions.

I think maybe they got good attack value but in battle against troops, or during retreats they have less value -> low speed.
I don't made tests, but anyway using these troops require a lot of micro, and you can't use these troops to sth else.

But ofc if you like,you can use it:)

probably not worth the effort.
I personally use armies which have quite a bit of artillery(entrenched defense and up the guard are the main tactics they are built around) and dedicated smaller siegestacks which have some inf(or as spain leftover militia) and in most cases artillery. That is a relatively flexible yet uncomplicated setup for campaigns.
I guess as GB you can feel free to plonk down your 10k coastal artillery stack where ever you desire and see what happens.

I was hoping that they would be useful to drop on the British coastal forts while the main army took towns and crushed the army. I knew they were slow on the march, I now know they are equally slow to disembark over 20 days to get from ship to land. I gave up waiting to try them as a siege unit after that.

Thanks all for your input, appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone has tried coastal artillery as siege guns?
I appreciate they are slow but built on the coast and transported to coastal sieges I thought they might be a worthwhile option. With their rather high base attack number I thought they might result in a breach more quickly than normal guns. Feedback and response as always greatly appreciated :)

I usually build a few of them as Spain when I'm besieging Gibraltar. Since my fleet is quite small and weak compared to that of the British, when I first manage to block of Gibraltar I find it that they really make a difference, and percentage goes up rather fast. After gibraltar is taken I might use them to besiege the other British isle south of Sicily (dont remember the name). Besides that, I dont really use them.

After gibraltar is taken I might use them to besiege the other British isle south of Sicily (dont remember the name).
The island is called Malta, and the fort is its capital, Valetta.