• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lycrist Katkiller

Colonel
26 Badges
Feb 9, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
So right now I am player the "my dynasty is the only worthy to hold any title in my realm"-game and I recently figured that it's extra smart to give my female dynasty members temple holdings instead of having them at my court and raising the numbers that way.

Anyways the slavic pagan King of Poland managed somehow to capture 3 or 4 of my dynasty member who had their home in one of those temple holdings (that's where the introduction comes in).

I used the free captives CB on him and
- crushed his army
- seized his wealth (when he surrendered at 75%)
- helped other attackers sieging his holding and winning their wars against him
- sieged some of his holdings myself
- captured some of his coutiers

Now, while sometimes is intentional to do those things, I wasn't really planning to do so and I am fairly certain it was not in the intrest of the King of Poland either.

So I said - It should always be possible to demand the release of prisons (whose one could use the CB for).

The opponent may than ask for
- gold
- favor
- opinion plus

Prisoners join your and get the +15 (My saviour) for 100 years and maybe pragmatist characters would also get +5 for 10 years (avoided conflict) while Glory Hounds get -5 (peacemonger) for 10 years or so

What you fight for is exactly what you’ll get in CK2, if you wanted a more detailed peace deal play EU4, you can’t add extra goodies either when you are winning a war, so it should be the same when you are defending.

Then what are you talking about? I wasn't sure I understood what you were asking when I read your opening post, and after reading your reply to SSA I know that I don't understand what you're asking.

Basically kind of how the factions work now? "Give us Gavelkind or else..." - style?

I think that would be cool. Saying give me my prisoners of I'll go to war for them seems kind of more lively and natural than just going to war.

Well, you can ask for the release/ransom of any of your courtiers. That doesn't mean the captor will say yes.
The problem is you can't ask someone to release someone else who is a member of your dynasty but not a courtier of yours.

Basically kind of how the factions work now? "Give us Gavelkind or else..." - style?

I think that would be cool. Saying give me my prisoners of I'll go to war for them seems kind of more lively and natural than just going to war.

Yes, but also for foreign realm, after all, you can not go to war with your vassals

The problem is you can't ask someone to release someone else who is a member of your dynasty but not a courtier of yours.

Indeed. You may go to war in that case but you may not ask for ransom

What is needed is a custom decision to ransom ANYONE from ANYWHERE in diplo range. Of course the chance of it being accepted should depend on all sorts of factors such as "Who the hell are you again ?" and "Why the hell do you have an interest in this guy ?".

This could also turn Favors into literal gold - imagine being able to force your vassal to hand over to you the King of Lombardy that he captured in battle, then turning around and turning that into sweet, sweet ransom money !

What is needed is a custom decision to ransom ANYONE from ANYWHERE in diplo range. Of course the chance of it being accepted should depend on all sorts of factors such as "Who the hell are you again ?" and "Why the hell do you have an interest in this guy ?".

This could also turn Favors into literal gold - imagine being able to force your vassal to hand over to you the King of Lombardy that he captured in battle, then turning around and turning that into sweet, sweet ransom money !
There also could be the funny situation of: A character has captured a rebel, however, due to some circumstances, he can't execute him.
He then notices that some pagan ruler who is known for his cruelty also really really dislikes the captive.
So... The pagan "pays" the ransom and the rebel is going to have a bad time

When I find dynasty members in prison, I send them a lot of money and hope that they manage to ransom themselves. It would be nice to have a more direct way to get them out, so I'm in favour of OP's suggestion.

It would also be nice if there was a way to pay significantly more gold to overcome the AI's objections to the ransom. (Eg: they don't like to ransom prisoners who have a claim on any of their titles.)

A note on the "free captives" CB: if you're scary enough, the AI might surrender immediately (similar to the tributary CBs). But this CB is not a solution to the problem because you might have to choose between truce-breaking and letting your relative languish in prison for years.

There also could be the funny situation of: A character has captured a rebel, however, due to some circumstances, he can't execute him.
He then notices that some pagan ruler who is known for his cruelty also really really dislikes the captive.
So... The pagan "pays" the ransom and the rebel is going to have a bad time

Extraordinary rendition !

When I find dynasty members in prison, I send them a lot of money and hope that they manage to ransom themselves. It would be nice to have a more direct way to get them out, so I'm in favour of OP's suggestion.

It would also be nice if there was a way to pay significantly more gold to overcome the AI's objections to the ransom. (Eg: they don't like to ransom prisoners who have a claim on any of their titles.)

A note on the "free captives" CB: if you're scary enough, the AI might surrender immediately (similar to the tributary CBs). But this CB is not a solution to the problem because you might have to choose between truce-breaking and letting your relative languish in prison for years.

Good to know, whoever he didn't surrender immediately and got his armies crushed...