• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very cool developments. Loving British Japan, and Mexican Siberia.

I have a feeling it's time to expand the empire in China's direction, now that Korea and Japan are fully under your control. Onwards!

buuuuu i loved the hybernabaque title, i thought it would be the british that would fade to the paged of history...

anyway... you must do something about that mexico, it frightens me :O

1746-1786

Emili IV came to the throne in 1746 at the beginning of what became later known as the First March of Tea, a military campaign against China and Manchuria. There would be three of such marches, and the ranks of the Hybernobasque armies during the war in China would be flooded with Japanese conscripts and volunteers. In fact, Japanese acceptance into the Hybernobasque domain was so widespread throughout the empire that Emili elected to establish an expensive schooling system in Honshu starting in 1750, and in 1762 Japanese would become the empire's third official language (Basque became her first official language in 1512, and English her second in 1550). The Japanese college system became so successful in turning out educated bureaucrats that by 1786, 15% of all unelected officials in the empire were of Japanese descent. The dark-skinned Arabic origins of the late Sithrigi monarchs contributed vastly to the nation-wide tolerance of different ethnic groups, including the Japanese, as equal citizens.

rPiEF.png

Emili opted to follow the ideas of "the enlightenment," a growing idealist movement in Europe centered around the growth of culture, science, and political freedom. While hereditary rule was frowned upon by these new minded liberals, Emili's decision to encourage intellectualism in the empire gained her renown throughout the world as an enlightened despot. Cultural and intellectual developments during her reign would continue to define the empire to the modern day.

Cultural divisions in the empire.
iEo9M.png

In 1748, war broke out in Europe once again, and in 1752 Britain was called by the Germans to mediate the conflict. Without firing a single shot the war ended almost in status quo, simply because of the fear of the Hybernobasque armies. Their size was double that of the next most powerful nation in Europe, although the navy had fallen in recent years into a state of disrepair and antiquity. Naval reforms were pressed immediately following, and more than a quarter of the empire's ships would be sold or scuttled in the following decade.

Following the war, a bankrupted France could no longer afford to hold onto her military might and the loyalty of her colonies at the same time. Disgruntled Muslims in Ipar Elvansa took it upon themselves to declare independence, and in 1758 the United States of Elvansa signed a constitution officially binding the French colonies as well as a handful of rebellious Andalucian regions together into one nation. The Hybernobasques signed an alliance with the Elvansans shortly after their formation.

The United States of Elvansa in 1758.
LiS8a.png

The War of 1767 would be one of the most confusing and complicated conflicts in European history to this point in time. There were few clearly defined alliances, and over a period of six years the teams would shift numerous times. In the beginning, Switzerland invaded Germany with Bavarian support to overtake the southern regions. Germany called in her allies in Italy and Britain, who were in turn attacked by Austria and the Romans. Switzerland was defeated by 1769, which is when France invaded Italy, and Bavaria attacked the Austrians. Hungary attacked Austria as well in this year, and Germany came to the Austrian defense a year later. The Netherlands would join in the war against the German in 1768, surrender a year later, and then declare war against France.

Ultimately the war resulted in more or less of a stalemate, although it did lead to another conflict less than a year later. France, having been destroyed numerous times prior from war and rebellion, was seen as the weakest link in Europe, and thus, Andalucia went to war in 1764. Having them distracted thus, the USE and Britain went to war as well against both France and Andalucia to claim their colonies and the French Corridor. In 1772 France had defeated the Andalucians, but was herself defeated in the north and across the sea. The decisive battles of Vermandois and Paris turned the tide of the war, forcing the French to concede to total defeat.The corridor was shut, and her access to the North Sea was ended.

The United States of Elvansa in 1770.
ntt9T.png

That same year, 1772, Emili IV would die without an heir. Germany held the same dynasty, and the British throne was claimed. This union was short lived, as the last member of the de Beaumont line would die within the year, thus ending the lineage permanently. A regency would rule over the empire for ten years, until Belasko IV de Navarre, a Muslim noble, was imported from Andalucia to rule in Hiriburuan. It made sense to the regency at the time to utilize a high ranking noble from the ancient Basque homeland as the reigning monarch in a primarily Basque nation.

Europe, 1782.

Belasko quickly went to work beginning the Third March of Tea, which would end in 1786. In that year, he brought up the Charter Britannia and extended its de jure claims to the rest of the Chinese lands he had conquered in the years prior. He then went about on a series of unpopular reforms which included the official destruction of the Hybernobasque Imperial title, the promotion of Islam as a global faith for the empire, despite it's more than significant minority, and the removal of English as an official language. His attempts to disenfranchise Japanese rights and recognition were met with such a terrible backlash from the central administration and his magistrates that he redacted his attempts immediately.

The Third (and final) March of Tea.
unvT5.png

His policies and actions were ultimately driven by his relations to the Ummayads in Iberia, and would be self destructive for his reign. Influential politicians and nobles throughout the nation decried his work, as it railed against everything the Hybernobasque Empire and Britain had ever stood for. Rebellions in previously secure regions in Ipar and Hego Elvansa began to appear, and disgruntled Basques at home started to ditch their work to protest the monarch's tyranny.

Last edited:
I get the sense of huge colonial rebellions for our favorite Irish/Basque/British heroes.

With Andalucia's colonial empire in Ipar Elvansa now an enclave, and the Hybernobasque Empire in the hands of a dullard, I imagine we're in for a Time of Troubles.

I get the sense of huge colonial rebellions for our favorite Irish/Basque/British heroes.

With Andalucia's colonial empire in Ipar Elvansa now an enclave, and the Hybernobasque Empire in the hands of a dullard, I imagine we're in for a Time of Troubles.

No, no, no, we're in for a time of unicorns, sunshine, and racist killer bees... Much better...

1786-1822

With the taste of the enlightenment so fresh in their mouths, the Basque people refused to relinquish their freedoms. Belasko IV continued to rile and upset the common people into a riot, and he disregarded many old alliances to fill his own coffers and fulfill his own dreams. The Netherlands was betrayed in 1786, a difficult alliance that the regency spent years cultivating, and the Italian pact was disregarded in 1787. By 1790, The Empire had lost all of her alliances with the powers of the continent, save Germany, which sent Europe into chaos. In the decades preceding, The Empire had kept the peace in Europe through an intricate balance of power; a series of alliances and guarantees were set up to keep order and tranquility. With Belasko refusing to get involved, the Empire's former influence and prestige were shattered, and the respect for her power was gone.

Eventually, Belasko's isolationist actions, racially motivated policies, and religious spending caught up with him. He risked defaulting on a national loan in 1788, and rather than take another loan to cover it, he opted to shirk responsibility to the estates of the realm. Taking on the French model of the Estates-General, he convened the wealthiest and most influential of the nation's clergy, nobles, and plebs. Realistically however, with the exception of the clergy, almost all of these representatives were from the isle of Navarre, formerly known as Ireland.

Rather than delegate the powers of the congress himself, he left the formation and organization to the congress itself. This produced a clash of interests and heated debate lasting through the months of August and September. The plebs argued that the represented the bulk of the nation's people, and that they should thus determine the nation's financial future. The nobles were determined to isolate their ancient feudal rights, claiming that it is the pleb's job to take orders, not give them. The clergy, entirely ignored by both of the other factions, was almost entirely composed of Imams from Iberia, brought in at Belasko's request. A few weeks into the debates, the clergy unanimously opted not to return.

By September 1788, the stalemate in congress had provided all of the plebian representatives ample time to convene on their own, and on the 27th they barred the entrances. The nobles were denied entrance, and inside the structure the plebs drafted a new national constitution. Outside there was a horde of angered protesters whom had gathered sporadically in the previous years in the empire's capital, surrounding the noble representatives as they waited for entry to be allowed for them. Such did not happen, and a physical conflict arose when a few of the protesters became too roudy, which quickly led to a mob fight. Vastly outnumbering the nobles present, the mob crushed them handily, and no less than twenty noble representatives were killed during the event.

Those guilty of the killings could not be precisely determined, and so King Belasko, ever the pragmatic man, decided instead to execute everybody who was in the area on that day. Upon being presented the new constitution, he added treason to the mob's crimes, and disbanded the congress. Hundreds were arrested in the weeks following, and by November 21st over two thousand civilians were crowded into the Kartzelan, the massive national prison in Hiriburuan. The executions, however, would never happen.

On November 21st, on the day of the planned executions, the growing mobs in Hiriburuan broke into a wild rage, and besieged the Kartzelan, shortly freeing the prisoners. The imperial palace was torched, and when Belasko retreated from the burning building he was taken prisoner by a group within the mob led by Simón Landívar. After being forced to sign over his powers to the national congress, Belasko IV was executed by hanging with one of the nooses that had been prepared for the thousands he intended on killing that day.

It would not take long for this violent revolution to reach all corners of the empire. Iberian officials, imported by Belasko to please the Ummayads, were scattered all throughout the empire to administrate in the ways the late king saw fit. These magistrates were attacked and killed by mobs of plebians. Few managed to escape back to Andalucia.

Shortly after the usurping of the king, Landívar was elected as the first Consul of the new republic, and the National Congress was oficially granted power as the leading legislative body in the nation. Executions of nobility and traitors to the new republic became a daily occurance in Hiriburuan. They became so common during this time period that overnight the hangman's noose would become an internationally recognized symbol of the empire. With the congress came a new flag and name for the empire, which was to be called Britannia. Inspiration for this decision came directly from the Charter Britannia, which claimed that all of Ipar and Hego Elvansa, as well as Japan, Korea, and China were actually part of the British region. The charter was, naturally, reworded for the revolution's purposes.

The new flag of the Britannian Empire.
TJWXH.png

Military units loyal to the nobility were the first to respond to the revolution with force enough to stop it. Battles were waged all across the empire, with some of the fiercest fighting occuring in Canada and Japan. Eventually, as these nobles were caught and executed, and as the soldiers began to see the opression that they too faced, the military began to defect. By 1791 Simón Landívar would have complete control over the nation's military.

Landívar would waste no time spreading the revolution and pressing its claims to the rest of the de jure region of Britannia. In 1792 the far eastern divisions were mobilized against China, and in 1793 the European armies were sent to invade Iberia. Andalucia was also attacked in Hego Elvansa and Egypt, and by 1797 their colonies there would fall into Britannian hands. Following the war, Andalucia collapsed completely. WIth their manpower drained and the economy in ruins, they could not handle threats domestic nor abroad. The Romans would take much of the peninsula from them, and their remaining colonies would almost entirely defect or declare independence.

Lands claimed from Andalucia, 1792-1797.
QvoLr.png

Immediately following this, Tripolitania declared war, and the remainder of Mamluk and Moroccan Egypt was invaded. These three were crushed handidly within the year, and yet still more progress was made in China. Japanese forces had captured most of the Chinese heartland, and advances were being made into Indochina as early as 1801.

Also in 1801, war was declared upon the Netherlands. Within two months, the entire Dutch homeland had fallen to Britannian troops. Germany was called to assist in the war, as Landívar wished to prove the might of the Britannia's military by competing indirectly against her most powerful ally. The Germans barely managed to enter the Netherlands before the nation had completely fallen. It would take until 1805, however, before the last Dutch resistance in Hego Elvansa would fall, and in that year they would agree to cede all Hego Elvansan territory.

Hego Elvansa, 1805. Former Dutch colony encircled in red.
26NHp.png

The war in east asia would continue until 1822, and the French believed that the large investment of Britannian manpower there would give them an opportunity to seize the republic's provinces in mainland Europe. They declared war on November 21st, 1815, the 27th anniversary of the revolution's republic. Landívar personally led troops on the front in the first two years of the war to keep morale high, although they never actually engaged the French until 1818, when the bulk of the Britannian army arrived and drove the French back, at which point Landívar himself had retreated safely back to Hiriburuan. By 1820, the French nation was broken, and would suffer consequences similar to that of Andalucia, yet much less severe, in the wake of the revolution's invasion.

France at the height of Britannian occupation.
P8ME7.png

East Asia, 1822.
9nQXq.png

Europe, 1822.
imRnS.png

Ipar Elvansa, 1822.
HQdR9.png

Bizi Iraultza!
To be continued in VickyII...

What the heck is Ipar Elvansa?

What the heck is Ipar Elvansa?

Ipar is Basque for North, Hego is South. Elvansa is my universe's name for America. I mentioned that in the 1499-1539 update.

"Emili II gave Alfonso the honor of having the new world named after him, and thanked him for the knowledge that he blessed upon the empire's surveyors. The new continent was named Elvansa, a feminized version of Alfonso's first name."

Ipar is Basque for North, Hego is South. Elvansa is my universe's name for America. I mentioned that in the 1499-1539 update.

"Emili II gave Alfonso the honor of having the new world named after him, and thanked him for the knowledge that he blessed upon the empire's surveyors. The new continent was named Elvansa, a feminized version of Alfonso's first name."
Oh. I wasn't reading the text, just the screenshots, so i missed that.

Apparently a few people have zero optimism. Good things will come. I just finished the game, so I'll be posting the final update soon.

I TAKE IT ALL BACK :D im stunned! (in a good way!), but hey, how you think i would react to a muslim takeover? anyway i did indeed think that empire will just brake into pieces and everyone around will just bite to death... but this... just WOW... :)

I TAKE IT ALL BACK :D im stunned! (in a good way!), but hey, how you think i would react to a muslim takeover? anyway i did indeed think that empire will just brake into pieces and everyone around will just bite to death... but this... just WOW... :)

It almost did break into pieces. During the horrendously long revolution period leading up to the republic, at least a dozen provinces were held by separatist forces at any single moment in time. I was getting pretty anxious about the republic never forming. Anyway, I have assembled a few graphs and such for the end game. The images are fairly large, probably, so load them at your own risk.

Magistrate Origins.
First time I have ever built colleges in a game, and I must say, I will certainly be doing it in the future. Japan was my Magistrate farm.

Largest Centers of Trade.
As a mercantalist the entire game, I never bothered trading in foreign CoTs.

National Income.

Religion, Culture, Production, Cores.

Largest Armies.

Largest Navies.

National Stats Ranked by Income.

Number of Provinces Over Time.

National Ideas.
"Military Drill" and "Revolution/CounterRevolution" were once "Colonial Ventures" and "Land of Opportunity."

Tech Map of Europe.
I have been suffering for more than half of the game. Andalucia westernized and caught up, then went bankrupt and fell behind.

World Map.

well thx for making the aar :)
good no hard feelings :p

anyway, you have to do something about elvansa... especially mexico and that tech level... but im most surprised by germany and their almost historical borders, they could have gone on a conquest for russ lol

Fantastic AAR! Congrats!

Fantastic AAR! Congrats!

Thanks for reading!

I do intend on continuing this into Vicky2, and have already converted the save file successfully. Unfortunately it would be my first Vicky2 game, and since I don't want to mess up anything I have decided to put the Hybernobasques on hold until I have learned the ropes to V2. I will post an update to this thread once I finish learning well enough to continue safely. Also, I found a V2 -> HOI3 converter out there that might work, so this AAR could see itself continue up until 1946 (and possibly further, once East vs. West comes out).