• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sure, I can understand they are it for making money, and maybe my mind-set is just too much set on indie-developers where some really do take there time with games until they feel it's finished or has become what they wanted it to be (majority still doesn't, I'm sure, but there are a few).

But yea, in a sense the argument about Magna Mundi is false, because it's an uneven comparison. As for Rome though, I don't think the majority of the people didn't play it because they did not like the setting, rather they probably heard that it was a rather mediocre game and held of an there purchase, rather buy the next EU Expansion or HoI. Still it had a great feel to it I think, but with nothing to back it up.
I mean, if people played it here and would go on the forums and say, WOAW, this game is the best PI game I've ever played, regardless of the different themes or series, I think most of the PI community would have given it a try.
But that, WOAW, moment might have cost you another 3-years in development and perhaps that is not doable for you but I strongly believe, especially in a niche like were PI is in, that there is a strong Quality/Sell ratio.
You always have your bottom buyers, people that will always buy a PI game, or that like the theme/setting, or whatever. But I think, after that a lot of people will base there decision on the quality of a game.
So perhaps it's worth trying climbing that ratio-ladder a bit?

I think it would be great if you picked some of your best developers, set them in a room, give them a free ultimatum, and let them create something new and refreshing, make it a love-project, where a few people could work on for years on and off.
Let them do something new and refreshing, that's what I would appreciate.
And hack, I'm even pretty sure that people would pay 100 euro if they knew it was really good. I mean, would you rather pay 50 and again 50 in expansions for a game that was good, and then just got refined and expanded up a bit more.
OR pay 100 for a game that is REALLY good and brings something new to the table.

But I guess we'll see how right I am after we know how good MM is and what the sales figures are. Perhaps I'm wrong and don't understand your market at all, could very well be the case.

The problem was very simple: people weren't buying Rome. If they had you would have seen a number of expansions by now.

MM is a very different project. It's a fan project which means that A) they are more developers on it than our three production teams combined, and B) they have been working on for a couple of years. If we did the same as a company we would have to charge you 100-150 euro for the game just to break even...

Didn't Johan say that rome sold very well? a year(or 2 don't know for sure) ago in the expansion poll it did very well also (outbeat HOI and Victoria) but alas EU3 won (but rome scored prety high) Since then i checked the rome forum regulary but again alas no expansion :(

Didn't Johan say that rome sold very well? a year(or 2 don't know for sure) ago in the expansion poll it did very well also (outbeat HOI and Victoria) but alas EU3 won (but rome scored prety high) Since then i checked the rome forum regulary but again alas no expansion :(
I too remember Johan saying that - can't find the post though.

And some of those "reviewers" are blatantly ignorant of what kind of game they have played, no reason to take any of them seriously. If the kind of game you like is CoD+Explosions=Awesome you will most likely not appreciate any PI title.

Posts like this should be in Bookmarks, my friend!

Why? It shows up in my post history :p

But yeah, that was different from what most expected. I hope Sengoku (and other games) will enjoy a richer update path than Rome, even with 'only' VV and the patches it was a world of difference from vanilla Rome. Ah well, maybe there'll be a Rome 2 based on a new engine in a year or 3.

And to get back on topic, The 'issue' with meta-critic is not the professional reviews which will even out with enough reviews, also the score is not an issue, it's score differential with similar games.

The issue is user 'reviews' leading to youtube style 0 or 10 scores based on the most whimsical things instead of actually reviewing the game and come with a plausible score.

Last edited:
I just posted my review based on 12 hours of play this afternoon. I didn't mean to play that long, I was supposed to go buy a TV. But instant buy when I saw it on Steam, didn't even know it was coming out! Congratulations on a superb product. I am sitting here drawing out family relationships of Japanese warrior clans on pieces of paper to get "the picture" of where I'm at in the game. Love that.

Metacritic is a depressing reflection of the corruption in gaming journalism. I don't know why anyone would consider basing their purchase off that site. Score systems in general are just arbitrary numbers pulled out of the ass of the reviewer and either color the contents of the review or discourage reading it all together. It doesn't help when gamers are programmed to think of 5 out of 10 as awful rather than average thanks to the stupid 7-10 scoring system on many mainstream gaming sites.

I brought up that debate on a Bioware site a long time ago. The scoring system is seriously flawed, I did some research on Gamespot and out of their 7000 reviews only 200 ranked below a 5. I don't read reviews anymore thank god. Some of the games getting 8s and 9s are downright awful, and some of the games getting 6s and 7s are the best gems out there. I research the game I might buy, and if there is a demo I try the demo, I check the feedback on the forums. I also love the Developer Diaries Paradox does, it really helps get indepth information about the game out to people.