• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Although to be honest ther are times when I wish you could use the Seppuko option more. I was a small clan with two vassals. My son and a random guy. I naturally backed my son for clan leadership, random guy backed himself. My son decided to back random guy. Talk about dishonouring your father, the shame I tell you. So I am going to have to get Birken to have a long talk with the AI about sons and their duty to their fathers.

Although to be honest ther are times when I wish you could use the Seppuko option more. I was a small clan with two vassals. My son and a random guy. I naturally backed my son for clan leadership, random guy backed himself. My son decided to back random guy. Talk about dishonouring your father, the shame I tell you. So I am going to have to get Birken to have a long talk with the AI about sons and their duty to their fathers.

I lol'ed :)

Are you implying that characters should be more than random dice rolls for stats and an attached id of their parents? I dunno about that.

Sounds like fun, King. A stronger filial piety is a good thing for the AI to have. I remember similar, ahem, paradoxes, in CK1, like giving all my extra titles to my firstborn son, who a week later declares war on me.

@Nuril: I agree, it's all about roleplaying. I can't always play an early XXI century history doctoral student stuck in the '80s (wow, that's a game that wouldn't sell much :D). It's no fun playing yourself, which is what I like about Paradox games and doing history, imagining what it would have been like to be a dishonored samurai or a Danish jarl leading a warband or a French duke sailing off to the crusades. I don't condone suicide or slave raiding or religious violence, but it's part of history.

Sounds like fun, King. A stronger filial piety is a good thing for the AI to have. I remember similar, ahem, paradoxes, in CK1, like giving all my extra titles to my firstborn son, who a week later declares war on me.

i think this should be determined by traits. normally a son wouldn't do that, but we have seen some who did, like for examp,e, in japanese setting, Yoshitatsu killed his father Dousan and took control of the clan. But, they say Dousan was considering to disown him, so I guess it's it be expected....

anyways, i agree son-back-stabbing should be toned down, but still be given a chance to occur, japan had a family theme, if he betrayed his father who is the head of the family, he betrayed the whole family, now unless he had someone to back him up, he's all on his own

My two cents on this;

Honor in medieval Japan was not only a personal thing but also a percieved aspect.

That is, all samurai would probably percieve themselves as being honorable. (unless they scorned the whole aspect of honor and that stuff) On the other hand there would be the Honor that people would judge that samurai to have.

Seppuku for regaining honor would come when a highly honorable samurai (in the personal aspect) would become known as not honorable OR found himself in an impossible situation where any choice he made would imply a loss of honor.

There were other options open to someone who wanted to make an honorable exit without having to die (it wouldn't give him such a honor boost as dying but...) the samurai in question could renounce his name an titles and go join a monastery.

Actually the Seppuku was never a ritual to make yourself feel better, it was a protest to the world, you showed the world with your one last act that they were all wrong and in fact you were honorable.