• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
In my first Semper Fi developer diary, I mentioned that getting the game to feel more historical is one of our main goals with the expansion. We want the players to feel like they are enacting World War II, not some abstract and fictional conflict. The main thing here is to stay as true to real events as possible while still allowing for plausible divergence. There are many factors involved; we have the events and decisions that can happen, such as the Spanish Civil War, the Anschluss, and the outbreak of WW2 itself. Of course, the behaviour of the AI also affects the plausibility of the war; especially at the diplomatic level, but also the type of operations the military AI decides to conduct. Then we have resource, manpower and production balancing issues. Lastly, and just as importantly, it is a question of immersion.

We have addressed all of these factors. The events and decisions have been looked over, with some removals, additions and changes. The diplomatic AI is essentially rewritten, with many custom behaviours for different countries. (Expect Lothos to post an example of this soon.) Likewise, the military AI should be much better at selecting plausible targets for invasion and at surviving where it previously could not (e.g. the USSR in Barbarossa.) We have also tweaked the resource balance in the world, and made sure that AI countries trade for what they need (new Trade AI).

Something Semper Fi players will notice pretty soon is the addition of hundreds of historical battle events. Obviously, the main battles of World War 2 will never happen in quite the same way during a game, but sometimes a similar event occurs, which will fire one of the new flavour events. These tend to have little effect, but are intended to provide a kind of feedback and comparison to the real war, for added immersion. In a similar vein, we have added something called "Strategic Effects", which are specific goals that the player can strive to achieve in order to gain a substantial benefit. Strategic Effects typically represent control of certain geographical key points, but can also be things like unique weather conditions or total naval or air superiority. (Players of EU3 will find Strategic Effects similar to the so called "Triggered Modifiers", but more integrated and visible.)

Diary05_BattleEvent.jpgDiary05_StrategicEffects.jpg

There is not much more to say about this, you will just have to play the game. :) However, I can give you another little morsel: Brigade Upgrades. In Semper Fi, players are allowed to upgrade certain types of brigades to other types (usually a more advanced and expensive type.) For example, if you have a very experienced artillery brigade, you might want to upgrade it to a self-propelled artillery brigade. Well, now you can. The downside is that the brigade is taken from the field and moved to the production queue, though when the upgrade is complete it will automatically deploy back to the division it came from.

Diary05_BrigadeUpgrade.jpgDiary05_UpgradeInProgress.jpg

That's it for today. Next week: Victory Conditions!

Is it possible to upgrade all of the brigades of a division at once? Or do you need to leave 1 (or 2) to maintain the division while some brigades upgrade?

We do not allow blanket upgrades since the brigades are taken off the map (which can be dangerous while at war). The feature is mostly intended to allow players to fiddle with their favorite divisions. The AI will not upgrade brigade types.

Can ships be upgraded via the brigade update? It seems the perfect way to model the upgrade of older BBs with new un-upgradable technology. Additionally, does the upgrade for any type cost the full amount of IC and time, or is there some cost advantage to upgrading??

There is a large time and cost bonus, with its current strength factor in, of course.

Nice Dev Diary.

Question to Doomdark: I remember Johan said in the live chat Interview, that Paradox plans to get Semper Fi feature complete in mid may, and the release day than depends on the time you give yourself for bugfixing. So, is it allready the case? Can you comment on the status of progression for the game?

Greetings

The game is feature complete, I can say that much.

don't upragded brigades keep their original name? Like Infanterie-Regiment X becomes Mtn Brigade 1? Would be better if the names didn't change.
I have been nagging about the brigades' names since HoI3 came out, but appearently nobody else cares about different names for different countries:(

They should keep their names. I need to check up on that though.

Woo, i suggested the upgrading of divisions a couple weeks ago. So happy to see it. Quick question though, if the division is taken off the map, and that province was then captured by the enemy. would they pop back into that province and retake it and possibly be surrounded?
No, the are redeployed to their old division, if that division is no longer active, they'll just be deployed as any other newly built brigade.

I can foresee many potential problems here. If I upgrade all 3 Arm brigades of a 3 Arm Division, wouldn't the division disappear?

Why not keep the brigades on-map, but just faded-out because they are in upgrade? Heck, give them an in-upgrade 40% combat malus, but let them able to fight! These shouldn't be in the build queue, they should just be figured into the upgrades category IMO. People will not use this to fiddle-around with their favourite divisions. As a Soviet player, I will probably be building hundreds of LARM-LARM-MOT-MOT-ART divisions which I intend to be ARM-ARM-MEC-MEC-SPART in time for Barbarossa. The UK will be converting it's entire field force of infantry to motorized divisions (at least they did historically). The ability to upgrade brigade type will completely change player build-schemes, and they will be counting on it to always have forces available.

I have a gloomy feeling that you guys went for the worst possible implementation of this long-requested feature. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, it's nice to find a global extreme once in a while.
The empty division stays on map. It will be destroyed if involved in combat.
The unit won't fight while being upgraded to a new type, the soldiers cannot be part time at the front and part time in "school".
It's not sensible to make a major overhaul of all your forces while in war. Upgrade some at a time and you'll be fine.

What if the division is destroyed, surrounded, disbanded, or otherwise not available?
Deploy to some other division as usual when building brigades.

I don't think it's as dramatic as "worst possible implementation". But I do agree that upgrading brigade-by-brigade would be extremely tedious. Just something with selecting multiple divisions and upgrading all of one type to all of another type, or making upgrades possible through the OOB editor, would be good. Or maybe you can mark, for instance, 100% of your inf for upgrade to mot, but not all of them are put in the queue right away (because they'd be stuck there for a long time, you probably wouldn't be able to do all of the upgrades at once).

We considered this. There was too many problems involved when the game was to decide what units the player prefer upgrade now and what units to do later.

IMO, a proper implementation would have been:

So many things are going to go wrong here...

Upgrades are not meant to be a new holy grail of unit building. Building a unit directly is faster and requires less resources than first building one unit and then upgrading to what you need.

Interesting Dev diary.

Is there potential for an exploit here - What if a brigade is involved in combat ? i.e. Surrounded and about to be wiped out - will a player be able to suddenly upgrade it to save it ?

No.

What happens if you cancel the upgrading unit from the production queue?
You'll lose it. There's no going back.

I think these guys need to take a lesson from Stardock . . .

http://forums.elementalgame.com/

Go through the forum and you can find lead developers regularily talk to their customers/beta testers.

They ask for ideas, get them and give reasons why they choose to go certain routes. In the end everyone knows why they chose to do this, and is satisfied.

Besides, Stardock is one of the few companies that can actually put out an AI that is as good or better than a human player without cheating. Now that is saying something.

And we don't?

- We have 1/10th of the team working 100% just answering emails and forum posts from people.
- We have our game designer spending 33% of his time just replying and discussing ideas on the game we develop. (see every single development diary we made for hoi3 and victoria 2)
- You see the programmers and scripters posting replies every week.
And this is just the public forums..

So if I build my future Airborne troops as Germany from the start of 1936, meaning Infantry, and upgrade them when I've gotten the Airborne tech, will the upgrade take longer than building a new division of Airborne directly? And will it be more expensive?

If that's the case, I'm only going to use it to upgrade Inf to Mot :p

No, it's not that bad. We haven't done all the balancing yet. But you get reduction of ic and time based on a percentage of the ic and time that was invested in the original unit (yes these values are easily scriptable). While this doesn't reflect what happened in real life, it keeps the system from being too exploitable.

Trade AI is a great improvement, good to hear ;).

But I do have 1 concern: the battle events. It s possible that they can give some weird side-effect if they are not kept within a certain period of time, so will for example the specific "Battle of Moskva" event (View attachment 24438) only fire between October 1941 and Januari 1942?

No battle events have a restricted time period, i.e they will not only fire between this or that date.

The problem I can see is that a A-historical player can get "hisorical events" while he is playing a very A-historical game. For example Russia is only conquered in 1945 because Germany first conquered the UK: will the event then also fire?

Yes, if the requirements for the events is met.

As for this it could be handy for players who want to play a very very A-historical game to be able to disable the historic events so they don't get a "confusing" gameplay experiance?

Don't really understand what you mean with a "confusing" gameplay experience, the battle events are more flavour events. I think that even a-historical players would like to learn more about various battles that happened during WW2.

Another question I have is: If the events won't pop up when they only show during the historical period of time then will a player who plays 100% ahistorical get 0 battle events?

No battle events have a restricted time period, i.e they will not only fire between this or that date.

I know it is a hard balance of making a game and keeping historical flavor as too much historical features may create a game that is to fixed and has a much lower replayability value (like watching an historic WWII documentary). Therefor I like the approach of haven a plausible path that you can follow (the historical WWII story) and a choice not to do so, but what I do still miss a bit is the Historical Role playing aspect: it is possible to have choices in a game while still being very historical. This way an Ahistorical player can have 'historical choice events" that enable him to choose the a-historical option in an historical choice. This way more A-historical players also get some historical flavor from the historical background.

It would be best discribed as having historical choices. For example: the SU occupied the Baltic states and when the germans moved into them they were greeted as liberators: the germans had a choice to use this to their advantage.

Well, you can do this yourself by doing what the Axis, the Allies or the Comintern did during WW2 and follow in their footsteps as to say. It's a sandbox game which gives you, the player, the opportunity to play the game as you like.

Mmm, flavour events...

I'm wondering if "half the TRP team" Lothos referred to are involved here? Whoever it is, it's much appreciated.

Question though, how much depth are you going to go to here? If we met the conditions, would we be seeing Operation Husky, Dragoon, Ichi-Go, Fall Blau and the like, or will it be the more typical Winter War, Barbarossa, Weserübung, etc. - essentially those events that are already coded into the game?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, which member of the Paradox team are you SolSara?

There are land, air and naval battle events in Semper Fi. Some of these are "Operation this-or-that" (Operation Jericho for example) but mostly they are about famous battles of various sorts.

I'm one of the scripters, I write events, OOB's and other things that are needed.