• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Using the British to discuss carriers is like using the Japanese to discuss tanks.
I resemble that remark! ;)

At least ours didn't have papier maché flight decks... :D

More seriously - in the time period it might be said that the UK quite successfully developed the small or "light" carrier concept where the US developed "proper" carriers - it's just a bit of a pity the former turned out to be a blind alley! :rolleyes:

All granted, but I think that was just part and parcel of how sustaining an island garrison in hostile seas worked. Take a look at the operations around the island of Malta, where a Commonwealth garrison held out to interrupt the Italian supply route to Tunisia - you see similar supply and reinforcement actions there.
I agree, Norway would be another theatre to look at. Both sides made extensive use off warships to transport troops as well as supplies there in 1940, for different reasons.

Even USA converted destroyers into fast troop transports in large scale, so Id say this is a case where the tactics is even universal since it was used by pretty much all naval powers.

Several models of Japanese destroyers were very clearly half destroyer and half transport. I don't recall any other nations' destroyers being so obviously "supply ships" or part-time troop transports.

I think we should be able to make very ship the PotF and the boni should be raised.

I.e

10% EXP
5% Morale
20% Organisation
a little positioning and attack boni, because the people on the ship worked better due to the I´m stationed on the PotF thinking.

And a little feature I like to have would be the ability to change the name of the PotF, so I can give it my name(I know we can do this through editing, but it should be possible in-game IMO)

You can rename any unit just by clicking on the name and editing it, can't you? I know you can in HoI2...

Yes, you can.

Using the British to discuss carriers is like using the Japanese to discuss tanks.

Maybe, but the british also did the first carrier attack on port in Taranto which was a direct influence for Pearl Harbour in the first place. The whole point of mentioning HMS Glorious was mainly to say the obvious that carriers themselves would be extremely vulnerable to anything that can shoot back at moderate range and obviously every country which had carriers came to the same conclusion either long before or after the event. How often carriers - even when there was no enemy ship within few hundred nautical miles - were protected by battleships, heavy cruisers and such? :p

Knowing history anything identical did not happen again at all, but you never know the possibilites that might occur in some weird situations. Odds are astronomical, but who knows ;)

Similiarly when HMS Glorious was sank by Scharnhorst and Gneisenau there's no (AFAIK) another known case of carrier being sunk by direct fire from another capital ship

Japanese Battleship Yamato was credited with downing the USS Gambier Bay late in the war (whether or not one of her cruiser pals fired the finishing shot, Yamato itself did the big damage)

Yeah, very useful for at least Japan since SHBBs won't have historical names at all. Just click the ship and then the name tag at the top off the popup info window.

Yeah, that´s really cool.

I never thought it was possible because the name look so static, I guess sometimes it´s better to try

Now, as a little bonus, I can reveal that we are working on some changes to the supply system. Specifically, it will be possible to set up convoys between points in your home area, thus injecting supplies directly into distant ports, even if there is a land connection to your capital. The example convoy in the screenshot between Los Angeles and San Francisco is of course pointless, but you get the principle; say that Italy holds the entire Mediterranean coast down to Alexandria. In that case, a convoy between Taranto and Alexandria should be quite helpful. Same thing with a German convoy from Kiel to a conquered Archangelsk, etc.

This will fix all the problems with the supply system. But of course someone will appear to complain about Royal Navy sinking their convoys.

Several models of Japanese destroyers were very clearly half destroyer and half transport. I don't recall any other nations' destroyers being so obviously "supply ships" or part-time troop transports.
Here are about 130 reasons why that's wrong :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_speed_transport

If you look around for pictures of the Norwegian campaign you will also find both Germans and British Destroyers and Cruisers loaded with troops.

Designed for company sized transports.... don't think we deal with that small of units... do we?
That wasn't the point, the point was that not only Japan used them.

And even If Japan did, I doubt they managed to transport a brigade in a Destroyer flotilla aswell like you say.

In my mod I gave Destroyer flotillas a transport capacity of 2.50 meaning you need 4 flotillas to transport 3000 men, or about 150-300 men per ship. This is what I felt was balanced.

Hi.
I've got a question: how do you plan to have the feature allowing the player to create a supply convoy even if there's a landing route to work correctly considering sea convoys automaticly switch off (even if in manual) when the supply depot (aka your capital in this case) reaches a certain amount?

Thx for at least reading me :)

I guess it's worth noting that with stacking penalty based on hull size now, there's even more reason to never build battleships as opposed to carriers (not that they aren't already useless against carriers).

Battlecruisers too, I guess. Even if they're faster they'll never close as they take a bigger positioning penalty.

Soo, yeah. The process is complete: a well-built carrier fleet will now destroy any non-carrier fleet in the game without taking any damage at all =P

Last edited:
Jutland was World War I not II and the fleets where so huge that it took hours just to get them to turn. The battle took a very long time and each ship had to follow eachother in a straight line! Had their been air power that fleet would have been destroyed easily as they where all ligned up.

Go read some history books on the navy battles and then come back here and comment :)

And where did you get this information from?

I find it hard that many ships can turn 180 degrees in less than 10 minutes and keep a straight line with no radio contact since most communications back then between ships was flagged based.

In fact its impossible for that many ships to turn 180 degrees in 10 minutes and keep a straight line even if they had radio communications or fact to face. Not possible at all!

This information has been in every account of the Battle of Jutland I have ever read (including Wikipedia, although it's not very clear there). Here's Robert Massie in Castles of Steel:
At 6:36 p.m., Scheer signaled, "Gefechtskehrtwendung nach steuerbord!" ("Battle about turn to starboard"). The maneuver called for each ship independently and simultaneously to make a 180-degree turn onto an opposite course; in this case directly away from the British fleet. The result would save time by reversing the course of the fleet without the need to follow the leader around a single point ahead... within four minutes, the entire column had vanished into the murk. To the British, watching the advancing German column suddenly fade from view, it was inexplicable.
Additional battle-about-turns were ordered at 6:55 and 7:18. So there were three in less than an hour. Yes, ordered by flag.

Specifically, it will be possible to set up convoys between points in your home area, thus injecting supplies directly into distant ports, even if there is a land connection to your capital.

The one Big Thing I have been praying for after first time trying to conquer the world as Germany, and (unfortunately, by conquering Turkey) created a land connection from Berlin to the Deep, Wild, Africa... :rolleyes:

And yes, I only read this today. Still a couple more diaries to read, but so far this is by far the best addition I've read of, even though it seems small compared to all the fancy stuff! :)