• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RuyDiaz

Corporal
49 Badges
Jan 19, 2007
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Knights of Honor
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
I'm sure this has probably already been discussed, but it doesn't seem to be in the bugs logged forum.

It's not really a bug, but a misspelling. San Francisco is spelled 'San Fransisco' in Vicky, even updated to the latest patch. I don't know what it's like in Revolutions.

Is this a historically accurate spelling that I'm just too ignorant to be aware of? It's certainly not the way it was spelled when it was a Spanish colony, and I highly doubt the Mexicans ever spelled it that way when they had (pseudo-)control over Alta California. But I suppose it is possible that the Anglos misspelled the name briefly after taking control. By 1920, however, the name was spelled the same way the Spaniards had spelled it: San Francisco.

A partial fix to the problem is easy enough: I've changed the name in my own db/Provinces.csv and config/province_names.csv files (it's Province 518). Changing it on the map, however, seems to be significantly more difficult.

Does anyone know if there's a fix to this? Alternatively, does anyone know whether the town/mission/presidio ever went through a phase where it was spelled San Fransisco (thus indicating that perhaps no "fix" would be needed)?

If this has already been discussed, could someone kindly point me to the thread where the discussion occurred? I'd've searched for it, but I can't seem to find the search function on this forum.

Upvote 0
Just ignore anything you know. The provinces have always been some kind of swedish-english-accepted-native language mix. Could be misspelling too, but it's impossible to tell when we're dealing with Paradoxian naming logic.

The world map, or atleast the default terrain view is in \map\tiles.bmp file. I've never edited it so don't know anything more. It can be however edited in somewhere on those files since there's that map project going on.

I've noticed that for quite some time as well!

It isn't hurting the game though so I have just let it be.

Graphic errors on the main map will never be fixed in a patch. As noted, the errors are not game-breaking in any way and the amount of hassle to rework all the graphics files to fix it (since they are premanent files, not computer generated as in EU3) is not deemed worth the effort.

San Fran is not alone, there are at least 3 blank provinces lacking a name.

There is a map mod in the works though (see my sig below about Clio) that will have corrected names once all the technical work is done - so some time in 2009 at the current rate of progress.

I only discovered recently that you can SEE the name 'Dresden' if you go into territory map mode. No other map mode will do, IIRC.

I thought I'd discovered a real Easter egg. Still gives me goosebumps. :eek:

:rolleyes: