• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Gul Brown said:
The rush for Berlin forums seem to suggest everything is fine, its just a little nervewracking, there is a large ammount of people who insist Starforce is damaging to a computer. I was always 100% willing to get the game, its when i heard starforce was on it my willingness took a knock. Does the download version from gamersgate need to include starforce? Its not like copying a disc. :wacko:

There are different levels and options for using SF as a copy protection system. You are right that it does not require the disk checking drivers for the downloadable version (because there is no disk). But it does use other SF options such as verifying the installation.

But back to your decision-making process. I will tell you what I tell everyone else who contemplated this issue: if you feel uncomfortable about it, you probably should not buy it. RFB is meant and designed to be an enjoyable experience. A reward for the money you invest in it. If buying it will give you an ulcer, we don't want that to happen to you either.

We have had people with great reservations who took the plunge and had no troubles. We had other people who realized later that they had already installed and played quite a few SF protected games and had no problems. So that put their mind at ease, they played the game and had no problems. You can see their posts in the RFB forums and the Gamespot forums (for RFB).

But what you seem to be struggling with is who to believe. There are anti-sf websites, pro-sf websites, anti-sf people everywhere (including the SF forums) and pro-sf people everywhere (including the SF forums).

Not to digress but I found something that I would really like to share with someone and maybe this is the right place. One of the tricky parts to this puzzle is the question of who to believe, who is legitimate and what is the truth behind all this. As you can probably imagine, everyone says they are legitimate so it makes it hard to seperate out who is and who isn't. I found a thread about a topic of which I know little.

What struck me in this thread after the experiences I have had with SF is the complete and utter sincerity of the original poster. Yet, on the other hand, I have never seen public opinion remain so firm against the OP. I have never seen anyone try to sound so legitimate yet be so discounted as illegitimate before.

So, on a purely theoretical level, I would be interested to hear how you guys rate the sincerity (and implied legitimacy) of the OP:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24710728

I am often put in the position where you have to "judge" the poster of information. You have to evaluate their words and comments and arrive at some sort of conclusion. I would be curious to see how you would "judge" this person (based on his words, not on the facts against him).

Edit: Just to be clear, the purpose of the above exercise is meant to show that it is very hard to really know who to believe. ;)

Last edited:
@ Nikolai: Oops... I was wondering what they meant by you not wanting this discussion to continue. Looking closer at your post I see why they said that. Maybe a brighter shade of red would reveal it a little better. ;)

As for Gul, if your main concern in buying RFB is SF then I don't have a problem discussing it civilly here unless Nikolai objects...

After all, it could earn us a few more curious folks who decide to delve a little deeper into RFB land. :D

Well, to tell the truth I was more concerned with flamewars if you can keep it civil I could move the SF posts to a separate thread and let you have it for as long as no fistfights are erupting over it ;)

I can see your point.

We seem to be doing a "civil" job of discussing Gul's worries here and although he didn't buy the game, he certainly earned it and the right to play it. So, I am more than happy to discuss his concerns in this thread.

As his concern is about SF and he is the OP, I have no objections to keeping everything together in this thread.

It does seem like everyone is on the same "civil" understanding here as well. ;)

Edit: There is the thread for SF discussion on the RFB boards (the link you provided above) for general purpose SF discussion.

Last edited:
These forums always do an excellent job of keeping things civil and this thread has been no different

Heya Gul,

Where are you now in this whole thing?

Feeling good, feeling low?

Anything you want to know?

Can i ask how high the protection level is? As in what it does?

:) thanks

Just a quick follow up for Room101. ;)

Hey buddy,

So I went out with some of the guys here on Friday night to watch the World Cup. In amongst the crowd was the fella who speaks Spanish. I told him about the post that you were going to provide a link to and asked him if he would translate it for me when I got the link. Bad idea...

Ever the opportunist, he cleverly suckered a beer outta me as pre-payment for the translation. From now on, I know better than to ask favors when there is alcohol nearby. :D

So anyways, I prepaid for the translation and still would like to see the thread where you reported your problem when Victoria (and Starforce) destroyed your Hard drive. The one in the Spanish Victoria forums

I realize that you may not want to reply in this thread. If that is the case, I have set up a thread in the Stormregion forums for you to reply to. Here it is:

http://www.stormregion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=772&sid=6b7f95825eaa4b57d025690aad699727#772

So hows about it. ;)

So....the downloadable version does not have the drivers it is just an online check?

Gul Brown said:
So....the downloadable version does not have the drivers it is just an online check?

Nope. It does not.

Nikolai II said:
Well, then I'll leave this thread as it is, especially since it seems to be done by now. (I'll be keeping an eye on it nonetheless ;) )

I would like to make sure that if Gul does install RFB that it went well. If people have concerns about the game, I always want to make sure that it turns out well for them. So Gul, if you have taken the plunge, let us/me know how it went.

;)

Well, in order to get my money's worth I did the digging myself and got an idea from my beer swigging pal here on the scoop.

But the digging was a pain. I spotted the Spanish forums and went through all 42 pages. I managed to find 6 posts started by you (Room101) with links below spanning from April 2003 to March 2005. Questions about playing the game (what different things to do in the game and about the manual).

Now for the confusing part...

It seems that you were playing the game over this period. Even crazier, it seems that you pulled of a Herculean feat and translated the manual into Spanish:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138552

That is a heck of a job. I take my hat off to you for putting that much effort into the game and community. But I am really, really confused as to why you would do this for a game that destroyed your hard drive. And why you are playing a game that destroyed your hard drive.

I still couldn't find a thread started by you about this issue either. I am only human though so I don't mind admitting that it may exist. In fact, I would prefer to believe that you did not first report your problem with Victoria (and Starforce) on the Rush for Berlin board here. Rather than the Victoria boards.

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt here and get this info from you instead of hunting for it myself but you are not responding (but I know you are listening). So can you show me the post that I may have missed in the Spanish forums. It's not one of these:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214840

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150210

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147656

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135752

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131877

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118254

In these you seem to be having a grand old time with your caballeros.

So help a fella out will you? If you do, you can help convince people that SF is a threat. so you have nothing to lose and I have everything to lose.

What say you?

Alrighty, so he is gone for the day and I can't wait. Here is babelfish:

Room101 Original:

Me uno a la lista de damnificados por el sistema de protección de las narices Es un coñazo del 15 y sufro por mi lector (que a decir verdad ya estaba un poquillo cascado) cada vez que aparece.

Tanto que, como no saquen algún No-CD o quiten la protección en el parche 1.02, me estoy pensando bajarme de la Mula la versión en inglés (¿Es punible decir eso aquí?)

Translation:

Me one to the list of victims by the system of protection of the noses Is coñazo of the 15 and I suffer by my reader (who to tell the truth already was poquillo cracked) whenever he appears. As much that, as they do not remove some No-CD or they clear the protection in patch 1,02, I am thinking to lower of the Mule the version to me in English (Is punible to say that here)

Now how gawd-awful is that... :D

May cost me a beer after all. Unless one of you wants a virtual beer. :wacko:

Well, in a few words all post say the same
-'my CD make a lot of noise'
-'The game spend 4 minutes checking the CD and sometimes says it is not original'

...At least at the first page.

Gukan said:
Well, in a few words all post say the same
-'my CD make a lot of noise'
-'The game spend 4 minutes checking the CD and sometimes says it is not original'

...At least at the first page.

Room101 said it destroyed his hard drive: "That happened to me with Victoria; without trying to circumvent nothing: simply installing and executing. Nobody told the tale to me."

So I was looking for the hard drive message but that doesn't seem to be it.

Last edited:
[SR]Caveman said:
Room101 Original:

Me uno a la lista de damnificados por el sistema de protección de las narices Es un coñazo del 15 y sufro por mi lector (que a decir verdad ya estaba un poquillo cascado) cada vez que aparece.

Tanto que, como no saquen algún No-CD o quiten la protección en el parche 1.02, me estoy pensando bajarme de la Mula la versión en inglés (¿Es punible decir eso aquí?)

'I join the list of people arging abaut the fu.... protection system. Is a .... and my CD-reader make me pain (a CD-reader a little worm) everytime I run the game.

I hope they relese a No-CD or remove the copy-protection in 1.02 patch... if not i will download the english version from e-mule.'

My english is bad.... i hope you understand it