• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ashantai

Lost in Time
55 Badges
Aug 4, 2009
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Testing out a mod, I've had some weird things happen. I've been playing with lucky nations off, low aggressiveness and other stuff.

But through my entire hands off game to 1820 not a single ruler from the big eight of France, England/GB, Castille, Portugal, Ottomans, Austria, Sweden or Muscovy had a leader with an ADM, DIP or MIL of 9. None one stat!

Puzzled, I searched through the save file and saw that little countries like Ulm, Pegu and even Naples had some. But none of the big ones! Plenty of 8s, 7s etc, even an 8/8/8 king for England, but NOT ONE 9!

So I went in and did the cheat 'die FRA' 20-30 times while playing as someone else. Not one of those leaders had a stat of 9. Every other number was represented.

Turn historical lucky nations on and the big 8 get 9s all the time because that's how lucky nations work.

Am I missing something here? Is this just some sort of bizarre coincidence? Does the cheat not generate stat 9 leaders?

Now, stats usually aren't important, and 8 is pretty much like 9. BUT, my mod has triggered modifiers that gives rulers with stats of 9 bonuses, so it is important for me.

Help!

TL;DR: ADM/DIP/MIL values of 9 seem not to be as random as they should be.

I don't know about likelyhood of skills, but what modifiers did you put in? Seems like a good idea and I'd like to put it in my game as well :D

For stats of 3 if the nation is not a tribe/horde and has over 5 provinces they get the following penalties:
ADM - -20% tax, +10% stability.
DIP - +2 revolt risk, -5 legitimacy, -10 infamy limit.
MIL - -0.5 morale, -10% manpower, -1% prestige.

For rulers with stats of 9 who are non tribe/horde and have over 5 provinces:
ADM: +10% tax, -10% stability.
DIP: -2 revolt risk, +5 legitimacy, +5 infamy limit.
MIL: +0.5 morale, +10% manpower, +1% prestige.

So yeah, making sure rulers with stats of 9 happen is important, as it gives AI and player some advantages.

Monarchies cannot get 9's unless they are a lucky nation. But republics can.
But if pegu is getting 9's... maybe i'm wrong.

My last game I got a 9/9/9 ruler, though it was off an event (Carnal Sins). If I remember right a couple heirs afterwards had 9 in some stat, though no more perfect rulers.

Monarchies can get 9s, or at least they could in HTTT, but has this changed?

It's all just very puzzling.

Thanks for your replies, guys. Has anyone played a game without lucky nations so I can compare?

I am in the middle (or rather the latest stage) of a game as England/GBR and I have had several 9-rulers, even one double-9. I was a republic so that could have had something to do with it.
And as you know the player can't be lucky either.

Republics receive a stat bonus, so their rulers can have 9.
Monachies - iirc - cannot. For them the 'luck' trait is indeed the only way to obtain one.

Seriously? :eek:

Can monarchies not get stats of 9?

That's...weird. Can I please get that definitely confirmed?

Thanks GAGA!

Lucky AI nation monarchies can get 9's, but not a human player with a normally generated king, these have their stats capped at 8. By event however it's possible (even for the human player) to get stats at 9. For example the carnal sins event, the loving wife event or the one where you find a child in the reeds. I don't know how the stats are set in these events, but i have gotten 3-3-3 kings as well as 9's.

All republic type goverments does not have this restriction.

Thanks Hypnotoad!

Umm, so is it just monarchies or Theocracies, Tribal Despotisms and the Papacy as well?

I agree, but it seems that 3 is 3 times more likely to come up, while 9 can't appear for normal monarchies (except by event/pretender).

But they already get the option to choose their ruler and have election terms!

Republics get better rulers on a more predictable basis and can choose between candidates to prioritise a given statistic (even if it doesn't always work). If you're working towards westernisation it's much more beneficial to be able to choose high-admin rulers and you have the added reassurance that even a bad candidate won't hang around too long.

In addition, Republics don't get you stuck in a regency council for ever, nor are you likely to end up as the junior partner in a PU.

No-one's suggesting that any of this should be changed. What we are questioning is why it's completely impossible for a monarchy to have a ruler with a stat at 9.

Ashantai - if I were you I'd just drop the requirement for excellent ruler from 9 to 8. This would mean that republics would get it more often (another boost :)), but would at least mean that monarchies got it from time to time.

No-one's suggesting that any of this should be changed. What we are questioning is why it's completely impossible for a monarchy to have a ruler with a stat at 9.

It IS possible, just fairly rare and brought about by events that indicate "new blood". IMO this is a fairly realistic system. Monarchies generally don't choose the best candidate for the job, just the one that wins the inheritance rules race. Additionally, a fair number of the royal houses historically suffered from inbreeding, leaving them with rulers much closer to the 3-3-3 end of the line than the 9-9-9 or even 7-7-7 level.

Probably also to provide some incentive to use the electoral governments when so many other areas of the game favor monarchies.