• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cihlaschan1

Private
Feb 15, 2022
It could be fine, if player (AI alsou) could build routes for speeder traveling. Route between two baronies could decrease time in half, cost could depends on terrain boath baronies. Route could also influence the speed of gathering of army. The system already calculates routes for traveling each person, so main work is on the visualization on the main map. If this could be problem, map for traveling should be OK. Route is not necessary for playing, so the cost could be relatively high, because influence is big. I hope. that this will be nice mechanic with potencial trade routes (silk route) and merchant republic.

For the trade along the routes a simple system inspired by the raid system could be used. Instead of a raiding party you could have a trade caravan. This caravan would move along the trade routes to one or more trade-hubs where the caravan would "fill-up" (much like the viking raiders fill up their ships) based on different criteria and events. Then the caravan would move back home, along the way events could happen (or the caravan runs into a raid party) and you could loose your caravan. The result of trade would be the difference between the upfront travel costs and the gold brought back by the caravan.

For the trade along the routes a simple system inspired by the raid system could be used. Instead of a raiding party you could have a trade caravan. This caravan would move along the trade routes to one or more trade-hubs where the caravan would "fill-up" (much like the viking raiders fill up their ships) based on different criteria and events. Then the caravan would move back home, along the way events could happen (or the caravan runs into a raid party) and you could loose your caravan. The result of trade would be the difference between the upfront travel costs and the gold brought back by the caravan.
How do you determine the value of goods for the caravan. Vikings are raiding so taking all available loot, caravans wont buy every single item on sale

How do you determine the value of goods for the caravan. Vikings are raiding so taking all available loot, caravans wont buy every single item on sale
It depends on how elaborate you want the system to be. At its most basic it would depend on the size of the caravan and the importance of the trade hub. In Viking raids the value of the raided city/castle is determined by the "system" and the quantity of loot you can bring back on the number and quality of the ships in your raiding party. So the size of caravan you could set when you determine your travel route ( the same way you can determine the size of your travel party or the quality of the food in activities ) the bigger the more expensive. When the caravan arrives at a trade hub it fills up with gold (like the raiders also fill up with gold) depending on the size and quality of the hub. This would be a very abstract system. Trade could be an activity (like a pilgrimage).

Thank You for Your contributions to the discussion. However my main suggestion was about simple roads, which should increase the travel speed of persons and armies, including speed of the gathering. Trade routes are also fine, but CK2 solution, where trade routes were determined, was OK, in my point of view. Some countries had some higher benefits with historical connotation. I am not worry about trade routes and marchant republics, lot of players require that and Paradox stuff knows mechanics from CK2, and it will bring them in addition income from new DLC. But simple roads were not in previous game CK2 and also I did not find any request from players, so that is reason, why I posted this thread....simple roads for higher speed of traveling.

It could be fine, if player (AI alsou) could build routes for speeder traveling. Route between two baronies could decrease time in half, cost could depends on terrain boath baronies. Route could also influence the speed of gathering of army. The system already calculates routes for traveling each person, so main work is on the visualization on the main map. If this could be problem, map for traveling should be OK. Route is not necessary for playing, so the cost could be relatively high, because influence is big. I hope. that this will be nice mechanic with potencial trade routes (silk route) and merchant republic.
Not many proper roads are built in period, building lots of castles along the way to keep control high is best way to represent at present