• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lookingfor

Sergeant
54 Badges
Feb 19, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Rhomaion Varangian Guard is mentioned in several bloodline traits,such as Bloodline of Rurik. But Varangian Guard is not a vassal of Rhomaion in 1066. Is there a lore to explain this?

I don't know. The last we hear from the original Varangians is their attack/invasion in Persia in the 900s. My own assumption is they put most of their energy and men to holding in Persia that long. Truthfully, I don't know but this is how I reconcile it with lore.

I don't know. The last we hear from the original Varangians is their attack/invasion in Persia in the 900s. My own assumption is they put most of their energy and men to holding in Persia that long. Truthfully, I don't know but this is how I reconcile it with lore.

ck2_76.png

The text of Blood of Rurik says that many warriors having served in the Rhomaion Varangian Guard, which should be after Ingvar's Persia invasion according to this text.

ck2_75.png

The text of Blood of Sweyn also says that Knut has served in Varangian Guard in Constantiople(not Persia) in his youth, which should be in the 1000s.

ck2_77.png

The Varangian Guard in the game, which is an Independent mercenary. (BTW,I don't know why some mercenary is republic government...)

So what happened? Or just something wrong in flavor text?

I really don't know. I came to lead the mod and try not to touch the lore too much. I will look into why the Guard is the way it is now.

Reactions:
Rhomaion Varangian Guard is mentioned in several bloodline traits,such as Bloodline of Rurik. But Varangian Guard is not a vassal of Rhomaion in 1066. Is there a lore to explain this?

I don't see what's the problem. Rhomaion means Roman. The Varangian Guard used to be the bodyguard of the Roman Emperors but in 1066 maybe things have become a bit stale. The Roman Empire is all broken up, maybe the Varangian Guard, famously loyal to the throne, not the man (or so Niketas Choniates tells), decided that, since it was not clear who was Emperor, better to sit this one out and become the bodyguard of the Emperor once the Emperor has been elected.

A fun thing would be to make Harald Hardrada the commander of the Varanguan Guard. He commanded it, historically, while he was young. Who's to say he didn't stay, or go back to it?

Anyway, making the VG vassal of the Roman Empire is not a bad idea either. I just don't think it's baffling that it's not vassal to the Emperor, all things considered.